Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

2) Apparently Gamefreak really picked Spain out of a hat and clearly didn't care about the country at all; not only is the VGC not there but we'll be leaving for another region for the DLC
guess Poke-Europe ends in the Pyrenees too
VGC 2024 could be in Spain, too early to say

Two things:

1) I told you it was an animatronic Pikachu 315111

2) Apparently Gamefreak really picked Spain out of a hat and clearly didn't care about the country at all; not only is the VGC not there but we'll be leaving for another region for the DLC
guess Poke-Europe ends in the Pyrenees too
Or it's an ode to how Spain was a pioneer of world exploration. Could be seen either way, really.

Or it's an ode to how Spain was a pioneer of world exploration. Could be seen either way, really.
Like how we left the UK to explore India and America in gen VIII's DLC? :blobshrug:
c'mon dude

also, that's clearly a Japanese inspired region nothing to do with Spain and don't bring Portugal into this, maaaaaybe if this was a legend Arceus kind of game I would have bought a Portugal-Japan connection; in a modern setting though? no way

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My impression in terms of travelling in this DLC is that we're leaving for another region in only the first half of the DLC, aka "The Teal Mask", while the second part, aka "The Indigo Disk", is taking place in a place adjacent to Paldea, on the same landmass, probably in that area that we know is intentionally blanked out as of now.

The first half's schtick, a travel to the land of Kitakami, is part of a school trip, which ties into SV's Naranja/Uva Academy and school vibes, and seems to be taking on the idea of a field trip which is very common for schools to do, only this one is where we travel to another land as part of that "field trip".

The second half is probably close to Paldea, if not outright still in Paldea itself, since we're enrolling in what is essentially a sister academy of Naranja/Uva Academy, the Blueberry Academy, and this one is also tying into what is seemingly the "third legendary" of the game, Terapagos, who has ties to the Terastal phenomenon. As I said, it's probably on that nearby piece of the map near the North Province that we know is intentionally "whited out"

This seems to be taking the concepts of Galar's DLC halves and doing it times a million. The first half being a field trip to another region is a more extreme version of SwSh DLC's first half (Isle of Armor) taking place on a nearby island, even though in that case it wasn't to another region and was to just a nearby landmass that is still considered part of Galar (in this case based on the Isle of Man which is still close to the UK), and the second half of SwSh's DLC (the Crown Tundra) was in the southern part of Galar and was still part of the main landmass, and focused on legendaries, especially Calyrex which was believed to be a king of Galar in ancient times and its two steeds.

Only in this case, the two halves stories seem to have an overarching plot with "The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero" being the name, and whether this is functionally closer to Emerald/Platinum/USUM in terms of being "enhancement of base game" or if this is a continuation of SV's story a la BW2 is something we have yet to know. That will be interesting to find out.

I think that the Area Zero stuff we learn in most of the DLC will be stuff that can stand alone as additional information to enrich what you know about the place, but to reach the proper finale you'll need to beat the game so it ensures you have full context of what's going on (& maybe bring in the trio who knows).

I've never understood how to find the special raids - do you just go across the map and look for it? I'm pretty sure I've checked every Psychic-type Tera Raid (I have Violet) and I haven't found Iron Leaves.

I've never understood how to find the special raids - do you just go across the map and look for it? I'm pretty sure I've checked every Psychic-type Tera Raid (I have Violet) and I haven't found Iron Leaves.
First you have to connect your game to the Internet in order to receive the latest event Raid data.

Once you do that, event Raids will appear, and can be distinguished from regular Dens by the swirling aura around them. You can also look at the map to see which Dens are event Dens, because they will have a sparkling, more brightly highlighted icon:

7CB80197-ED9E-435E-A3FC-16F4D1AAF8C6.png

B3F40901-899C-40AC-BFA1-3DA750D918F6.png

(i have returned...)

I heard there was a mention of a Battle Facility being in the DLC. Am I correct in assuming that there's no detailed info from the lack of discussion?
I really hope this is the case, as I wasted many many hours of my life building a singles team that I have barely used.

btw, Okidogi really just looks like Zarude let himself go.
Literally thought the same thing when seeing the trailer. Would be cool if they fought. I guess.
EDIT: I meant Ogerpon but your idea makes more sense lol

I wonder if they’ll have to edit Terapagos’s design in the future if they ever decide to add a new type.

Also, those plates on its shell aren’t hexagons, GF. :worrywhirl:
Why did you make me see this. GF WHY ARE THEY PENTAGONS--
also do we really need a 19th type?

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Ah, off work and already 6 pages behind, new mainline Pokemon content must be here!

Start with a quick lookthrough of the Direct. Not going to comment on everything, just things which catch my attention.

14:32: POKEMON SLEEP: I don't care if I was a joking, I CALLED IT!
15:22: I wonder if Professor Neroli was also inspired by Kōji Nishino like Snorlax was. And for those wondering, neroli is an essential oil from the blossom of a bitter orange tree; its scent is "sweet, honeyed and somewhat metallic with green and spicy facets" (... if you say so, Wikipedia). While the Wikipedia page only focused on its use in perfume, a quick Google search of "neroli sleep" comes up with suggestions that neroli can be used to promote good sleep, so there's your connection.
15:39: HA! They're relying on the honor system. :psysly:
15:48: They were considering a 4th level called "Coma" but decided that may be considered insensitive in some cases.
16:11: Alright, that's a neat little idea showing different ways some Pokemon sleep. Not sure if all the ones they showed are exactly special behaviors, but Totodile's "One-Eyed Sleep" certainly is (and yes, crocodiles do indeed sleep with an eye open; it's actually a behavior they share with dolphins and some other animal species where they rest one half of their brain while the other stays awake).
16:44: Pokemon GO Plus... Plus. Pokemon GO Plus Plus... Did you get the guy who came up with "Baddy Bad" to come up with that one for you?
18:04: You know this idea is beginning to sound creepier by the moment. I thought Sleep was gonna be something like Pokemon Smile, a cute little app which is meant to gamify sleeping to help you better sleep (as off as that sounds). But no, apparently your sleeping habits will be thoroughly judged and used in GO in undisclosed ways atm. Next up Pokemon Eat to help with that extra weight and Pokemon Work to make sure you STOP SLACKING OFF!

19:25: NEW PARADOX POKEMON: We're doing a JAPE for the new Paradox Pokemon that should be out early next month. You can read my full thoughts when it comes out, but I'll quickly share some thoughts here: You know how I feel about the Ancient Paradox Pokemon and Future Paradox Pokemon? Well, they haven't changed. Ancient Paradox Pokemon look cool (but make no sense in certain aspects, ESPECIALLY this new one), and most Future Paradox Pokemon are boring as they're just metallic versions of the species they're based on. Also they wasted a cool concept shown in the Scarlet/Violet Book.
19:45: Though I have mixed feelings on the new Paradox Pokemon, I do like this method of distribution. No needing to trade, just find yours, do open group battles, and once you catch it go to online Tera Raids to catch the other one! And with being 5 Star Raids they're doable as long as you have a good choice of Pokemon.
20:26: GO POSTCARDS & VIVILLON: Ah, so that's how they're going to do the Vivillon wing patterns. Interesting idea, while probably not exactly what GF envisioned with trading Vivillon probably would make it easier to get some of the rarer forms... if you play Pokemon GO. If you don't, well, sucks to be me you.
20:58: GO ROAMING GIMMIGHOUL: Man they must really not like people who don't play GO.

And, well, that's when we finally get into the meat of the Direct. Going to need a bit more time to get my thoughts together, but there's one thing I would like to note.

Now, while I got one (joke) prediction right, I got another wrong: the DLC doesn't take place on the inaccesbile high cliff of Paldea's Northeast corner. Teal Mask takes place in another region and Indigo Disc looks to be a facility in the middle of the sea near Paldea. Yet both are called the Hidden Treasure of Area Zero, even though neither seem to be near the Great Crater of Paldea. On top of that, I'd like to point out these two color's placement on the color specturm:

Teal would be at/around the 500 nm mark (between cyan and green) and indigo between violet and blue (around say the 425 nm mark). Both are very much closer to the Violet side of the spectrum. Also, while the Teal Mask would certainly give us some new locations to explore as both SwSh's DLC did, Indigo Disc isn't looking to be that sparse.

GF generally doesn't like to repeat ideas when it comes to the Third Version/Expansions. And with how well SwSh's DLC did, I'm wondering if maybe GF are going to do two DLC bundles. Right now we're getting "Hidden Treasures of Area Zero Part 1" which included locations likely connect to Area Zero and the Terastal Phenomenon but still only pieces of the puzzle (notably the "Indigo Disc" Pokemon doesn't look like the "Disc Pokemon" from the Scarlet/Violet book). So in 2024 I think we're going to then get "Hidden Treasures of Area Zero Part 2" which would use two colors between green and red (Chartreuse, Yellow, Amber, Orange, Crimson, Cerise, Burgundy, etc.). And I would bet that DLC will have one make the northeast of Paldea explorable while the last one will let explore deeper into Area Zero to learn what's really going on down there... and maybe/or at least encounter the "Disc Pokemon" responsible for all of it.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GF generally doesn't like to repeat ideas when it comes to the Third Version/Expansions. And with how well SwSh's DLC did, I'm wondering if maybe GF are going to do two DLC bundles. Right now we're getting "Hidden Treasures of Area Zero Part 1" which included locations likely connect to Area Zero and the Terastal Phenomenon but still only pieces of the puzzle (notably the "Indigo Disc" Pokemon doesn't look like the "Disc Pokemon" from the Scarlet/Violet book). So in 2024 I think we're going to then get "Hidden Treasures of Area Zero Part 2" which would use two colors between green and red (Chartreuse, Yellow, Amber, Orange, Crimson, Cerise, Burgundy, etc.). And I would bet that DLC will have one make the northeast of Paldea explorable while the last one will let explore deeper into Area Zero to learn what's really going on down there... and maybe/or at least encounter the "Disc Pokemon" responsible for all of it.
Not sure where you're getting the idea they'll do a second DLC next year. A single DLC bundle functions as the third version/expansion.

This is one DLC called "The Hidden Treasures of Area Zero" that has two parts: Part 1 is "The Teal Mask" which is a school field trip to another region called Kitakami, featuring the legendary Pokemon Ogerpon (presumably a minor Legendary a la Urshifu) and a trio of heroes sacred to Kitakami. It's releasing in Fall 2023, presumably anywhere between September and November. Part 2 is "The Indigo Disk" and is releasing in Winter 2023, which would presumably mean December. It is starring the Legendary Pokemon Terapagos. The DLC collectively is called "The Hidden Treasures of Area Zero", and "Teal Mask" is Part 1 of this DLC while "Indigo Disk" is Part 2 of this DLC. The latter is literally called "The Indigo Disk" and is literally suggesting it will be about the Disk Pokemon. Considering it's also taking place in the Blueberry Academy, which is stated to be a sister academy of Naranja/Uva Academy, it's also strongly suggested that it will take place in that northern part of the map that was whited out near the North Province.

I think we have every reason to believe Terapagos is the Disk Pokemon in the Scarlet/Violet book. It has that disk-like vibe, and its name and its appearance with its shell being type symbols galore basically emphasize its relationship to the Terastal phenomenon, possibly being its harbinger.

The fact that it doesn't quite look like the image in the Scarlet/Violet book is because that drawing is the writer's interpretation of what they saw. In fact you can look at what we now know as Paradox Suicune and Virizion, aka Walking Wake and Iron Leaves, both of which are usable now and have known designs and compare them to the drawings of them in the Scarlet and Violet books and you'll see they don't look that much like what we saw in the books hinting at their existence.

I am pretty sure all of the story beats they want to do to expand on Paldea and SV will be covered in this one DLC and we will not be getting a second DLC after this.

Terapagos is absolutely the disk Pokemon. A Reddit post from earlier in the month (or last month?) actually cleaned up & highlighted parts of the page and the weird "thing" at the top is the actual Pokemon with the "disk' Below being what they think might be a reflection or representation of the world or some sort.

And it lines up perfectly with our turtle friend: the shell, the little head and hands and the long fluffy tail

e: Also so glad I went to look it up again beacuse this reminded me that the background of the key art for Part 1 has Ogrepon with a clearly more upgraded design and I bet that Terapagos winds up with a big crown and becomes much larger in a similar fashion

Terapagos is absolutely the disk Pokemon. A Reddit post from earlier in the month (or last month?) actually cleaned up & highlighted parts of the page and the weird "thing" at the top is the actual Pokemon with the "disk' Below being what they think might be a reflection or representation of the world or some sort.

And it lines up perfectly with our turtle friend: the shell, the little head and hands and the long fluffy tail

e: Also so glad I went to look it up again beacuse this reminded me that the background of the key art for Part 1 has Ogrepon with a clearly more upgraded design and I bet that Terapagos winds up with a big crown and becomes much larger in a similar fashion

Perhaps the two are related and teaming up to create the Tera phenomenon. Maybe Ogrepon aplifies Terapagos's power. I think Ogrepon looks more like Glimmora, which could be important seeing as Glimmora and the Tera crystals are related.

So, random speculation: the 2 new legends look like Grass and Water. Specifically, Ogrepon looks spooky and Terapagos has a shimmering aura. Water/Fairy and Grass/Dark seem like specific counters to both the new Paradoxes.

Not a fan of the new paradox mons. I liked the Book designs that combined all 3 members of the trio. Proto-Suicune is cool, but not as cool as the in-game design they teased. Meanwhile, RoboVirizion is just blah. It's like all GF knows to do with future stuff is put metal on it. And the balance on the two of them is wild. Water/Dragon may be the best typing in the game, and they gave it a move specifically to make it work in sun as well. Grass/Psychic, meanwhile, may be the single worse defensive typing in existence. And making a Psychic type that functions in Electric Terrain is a lot less of a big deal than a water type that works in Sun. I just don't know what they wanted to do here.

Not sure if this was mentioned yet - but the two characters on each of the posters are called Carmine and Kieran.

Carmine;

Kieran

Haven't seen a lot of discussion about them so far. (Not that there is much to discuss)

Hopefully they're rivals that have more personality/character than Nemona.
Interesting designs. Carmine, though...Feels like GF is kind of falling into a rut with their female rivals. Marnie, Klara, Nemona, and now Carmine...I'm not complaining, but it does feel a bit like someone on their team has a type.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not sure where you're getting the idea they'll do a second DLC next year. A single DLC bundle functions as the third version/expansion.

This is one DLC called "The Hidden Treasures of Area Zero" that has two parts: Part 1 is "The Teal Mask" which is a school field trip to another region called Kitakami, featuring the legendary Pokemon Ogerpon (presumably a minor Legendary a la Urshifu) and a trio of heroes sacred to Kitakami. It's releasing in Fall 2023, presumably anywhere between September and November. Part 2 is "The Indigo Disk" and is releasing in Winter 2023, which would presumably mean December. It is starring the Legendary Pokemon Terapagos. The DLC collectively is called "The Hidden Treasures of Area Zero", and "Teal Mask" is Part 1 of this DLC while "Indigo Disk" is Part 2 of this DLC. The latter is literally called "The Indigo Disk" and is literally suggesting it will be about the Disk Pokemon. Considering it's also taking place in the Blueberry Academy, which is stated to be a sister academy of Naranja/Uva Academy, it's also strongly suggested that it will take place in that northern part of the map that was whited out near the North Province.

I think we have every reason to believe Terapagos is the Disk Pokemon in the Scarlet/Violet book. It has that disk-like vibe, and its name and its appearance with its shell being type symbols galore basically emphasize its relationship to the Terastal phenomenon, possibly being its harbinger.

The fact that it doesn't quite look like the image in the Scarlet/Violet book is because that drawing is the writer's interpretation of what they saw. In fact you can look at what we now know as Paradox Suicune and Virizion, aka Walking Wake and Iron Leaves, both of which are usable now and have known designs and compare them to the drawings of them in the Scarlet and Violet books and you'll see they don't look that much like what we saw in the books hinting at their existence.

I am pretty sure all of the story beats they want to do to expand on Paldea and SV will be covered in this one DLC and we will not be getting a second DLC after this.
I have a feeling we’ll get a second one. (or is it a hope? i love more content) It will likely depend on sales of the DLC and initial reviews of Teal Mask.

There's a shot in the trailer of a bunch of power-ranger-looking masks that I very much doubt are just stylized visages of the dog/monkey/pheasant trio, and would bet they relate to some sort of form change they'll undergo. There is also a mask that looks Ogerpon-ish; though it has some horns, so possibly a form, but maybe it refers to another mon.
Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 11.35.11 PM.png

The horns also show up as on one of the symbols on the lanterns in the key art for the teal mask. Interestingly, the other lanterns all have type symbols, but only nine types are represented that I can see (fire, water, grass, ghost, fighting, poison, rock, fairy, psychic). It's possible they just chose a random subset of types, but maybe these are hinting at the types of the Teal Mask mons. Nine is too many to assign all four revealed mons a dual-type, but if the mask-gimmick involves a type change, then it could fit (and some types could even be doubled up).

I will be shocked if Ogerpon is not part grass, since it looks like a four-leafed cover (unless it ends up being related to Sudowoodo, I guess), but the trio is less clear. If I had to guess based on the appearance, I'd say they look part dark and the coloring suggests fire/water/grass, but I really hope that won't be the case, since we already got a slew of dark types. If the types do match the lanters, then I still don't know what to expect. Fire/water/grass is still in the running, but the rest of the types could go anywhere, especially if form changes are involved.
1677558690825.png

In terms of Terapagos, a minor thing is that the official art given on the website and the art given in the trailer are different in terms of point of view. The placements of the types are consistent, for what it's worth...

1677559734016.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-27 at 11.49.50 PM.png

If you want to argue that there's no good reason Worlds isn't in Spain, you gotta find the tweet where Serebii Joe suggested an actual reason and argue against that. I didn't say eSports weren't popular in Spain, I didn't say they don't host any tournaments at all, all I said was I recalled Joe offered a potential reason Worlds was unlikely to be held in Spain and it might have been a legal reason, but come to think of it it might also have just been something like there is no local TPCi office there. But, I couldn't find the tweet to check.

I doubt we're getting a second round of DLC because at this point the next game is likely mid development while this wraps up and after that we're probably jumping straight into gen 10 (which is probably in preproduction!). If there's another anything beyond that it'll probably be another BDSP-styled, separate game

the machine waits for no one

Screenshot from 2023-02-27 08-10-15.png

Sigh...this is the chart from earlier with Feb 2023 filled in.

Patterns broken:
  • The longest amount of non-game material ever (10.5 minutes in grey), beating even the entire 25th anniversary trailer.
  • The longest amount of mobile game material ever (10.5 minutes).
  • Worst ever percentage of main series content for a Pokemon Day presentation, at just 19% (5 out of 26 minutes).
  • The only Pokemon Day presentation to not have either a new generation or multiple purchasable games.

Hero Trio: I'm guessing they'll be part Poison. I say this because of the rope accessories that they're each wearing. Not only are they purple, the larger hoops on the rope ends also look somewhat like one eyed skulls, which are telltale signs of the Poison type. Would be really cool to have a Poison Legendary Trio for once. Purple Skull could be a hint at being Ghost or Dark as well, but I doubt that. They don't look related to the afterlife at all, and we already had a Dark Quartet in the baseline game. Given that, I suspect their final typing would be:

Poison/Flying Pheasant, Poison/Fighting Dog, and Poison/Dark Monkey

As for the masks in the trailers, I suspect they won't have any battle significance. My hunch is that it's a story teaser. My theory is that these "heroes" aren't heroes at all. They're scammers who dupe people into believing that they are there to save the day, when all they want is the glory. I mean, look at those smug faces on those guys. Do they look like they're up to any good? In other words, these "heroes" are two-faced, hence the masks.

Last edited:
I have a feeling we’ll get a second one. (or is it a hope? i love more content) It will likely depend on sales of the DLC and initial reviews of Teal Mask.
Unfortunately I don't think the sales of this DLC would be indicative for the possibility of "getting another set". Assuming that the DLCs follow a similar release process of the main games, they've likely been in development for at very least 1 year already. There's legitimately no way they'd be able to start developing something in winter and have it ready for the next year and not be a disgraceful mess (even worse than SV and SwSh tech issues combined)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)