Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald In-Game Tier List Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Treecko being C is a travesty. B is a much better fit. Same for Golem.
Treecko was thoroughly tested several times and it's consistently (unlike Bullet Seed) a liability until it gets Leaf Blade, and even then, it's only really dominant on the water routes because it sure ain't sweeping Winona.

Grovyle relies on Bullet Seed as it's main STAB and one of its absolute best moves until past the mid-game. A 10BP multi-hit move. Let that sink in.

It barely escapes being tossed to D because of that Late-Game performance.

I'll just quote my thoughts on Golem from last year.

Golem is C in my eyes. When it's good, it's really good, and it really doesn't care about anything the middle game can throw at it -- but then once you get Surf, problems begin to show. It gets its good moves very late in this game so it's left to work with Magnitude/Dig, Rock Throw/Tomb or non-STAB Strength well into the game's run, and right when it's running into its worst matchups too. It can still put in work and is a wonderful defensive tank, but it just doesn't have a lot to do later on. One important thing to note is that while it doesn't have any endgame matchups of note, Self-Destruct is a VERY fun button to click if you're struggling to muscle past some of the stronger dragons. Despite that, there's just not a lot going for it and the rank it's at now fits quite well.
Whether it's closer to B or C in my mind very much depends on how much you weight the late-game against it, as it's a very night and day Pokémon -- from getting it at Granite Cave to its performance against Norman, it's an absolutely juggernaut that tears apart everything in its way; handling with ease every single boss aside from probably Archie (I wouldn't know since I played Emerald, though). And then with the slight exception of Fortree where it's just okay but can get overwhelmed, its performance just sinks like a rock so quickly it's comical. It can barely face up against most route trainers, never mind being useless against any remaining bosses; and is very heavily held back by its low BP moves since Earthquake is very late and kinda has to rely on Explosion as a gimmick to scrape back any relevance.

So it really depends on how importantly you rank early-mid game performance, as it's an S-rank Pokémon before Lilycove and D at best afterwards. In my eyes late-game performance is far far more important than any other part of the game as it's where things are harder and you need stronger stuff to compensate; if you're struggling with a mid-game gym I think most of them are much easier to overcome than the likes of Liza & Tate or Drake or Steven or Wallace. That's why Golem is C to me, as its good matchups aren't as notable as its bad.

I believe most typically acquire Abra pre-roxanne but have not evolved it to Kadabra until brawly

Don't get too fussed about levels as they are very unsticky depending on how many mons you run, when you pick them up, and the xp groups of the team. In general I'd ballpark as follows:

Roxanne: 12-15, one mon as high as 16 typically the starter
Brawly: 16-18 (can sometimes make 19 on a smaller party)
Watson: 20-24
Flannery: 25-30 (wide spread depending on team here)
Norman: 26-30 (limited xp here)
Winona: 33-37 (lots of xp here)
T+L: 37-40 (level curve and team spread picks up here)
Juan: 38-42
E4: 46-50 (46 is the average level if you don't fight all the stuff, 48 if you do, I encourage grinding to 50 for more effective tests and this assumes a six mon party by this point, a smaller party would require less or no grinding)

And yes my Ralts took on Brawly at 16, 13 is definitely too low to be taking on lv 19 makuhita
This is a very cool idea for testing. Having a rough ballpark of what levels your team should be in would also help with tiering decisions.

The idea of grinding your team to L50 by the Elite Four also seems pretty...uniform?

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't expect the average person playing to grind to 50 but for testing I find it important to have a fair and accurate picture of what a mon can do. Everything will struggle at level 46 fighting 15 levels uphill by wallace, doesn't make for a very useful representation of their ability.

I don't expect the average person playing to grind to 50 but for testing I find it important to have a fair and accurate picture of what a mon can do. Everything will struggle at level 46 fighting 15 levels uphill by wallace, doesn't make for a very useful representation of their ability.
Wallace starts at 55 and caps at 58.

What's the average level for a testing team when they reach him?

Texas Cloverleaf

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wallace starts at 55 and caps at 58.

What's the average level for a testing team when they reach him?
If you start everything at 50 you finish with everything between 50-52, not enough experience to get any higher unless you're letting one thing get literally every bit of experience for some reason

Oh I detailed that earlier, anywhere from 46-48 in my experience, depending on team size and how many optional trainers you fight. Such levels can beat the game but generally rely on heavy item use.
Thanks, just wanted to make sure because it's been a while since I last played myself.

Yeah, 46-48 (which wind up being 47-49 post E4) is definitely doable. Hard to pull off a clean sweep, but very doable.

I don't think grinding is an absolute must in those situations. Depending on how many Rare Candies you get on the main game, that'd mean 50-51 across the whole team + EVs bridging the stat gap.

Okay, so here are some logs of my current playthrough. I'm using Torchic, Ralts, Abra and Spoink.

Torchic Lv13 (w/ Oran Berry): Needs a lot of healing items since it's 2HKO'd.

Abra Lv11: No.

Ralts Lv10 (w/ Oran Berry): Confusion 3HKOs Geodude and 5HKOs Nosepass while enemy attacks 2HKO. Needs to be at Lv11 to have an unreliable chance at sweeping with Double Team.

Torchic Lv14 (w/ Oran Berry): 8HKOs Torkoal with Ember. 4HKOs Mudkip with Scratch.

Ralts Lv12 (w/ Oran Berry): Confusion 6HKOs Torkoal and 5HKOs Mudkip. Needs to use Double Team to have an unreliable chance at sweeping with Double Team.

Abra Lv12: No.

Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_001.png
Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_002.png
Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_003.png

Combusken Lv16 (w/ Oran Berry): Double Kick 2RKOs Machop and Makuhita. Peck 2HKOs Meditite. However, Bulk Up will complicate the match-up, especially against Makuhita, whose Sitrus Berry will heal it completely.

Ralts Lv13 (w/ Oran Berry): Confusion 3HKOs Machop, 5HKOs Meditite and 3HKOs Makuhita. Machop 2HKOs with Seismic Toss. After a Bulk Up, Makuhita 2HKOs Ralts after Oran Berry. Not good.

Alakazam Lv16 (w/ Oran Berry): Confusion OHKOs Machop and Makuhita, and 2HKOs Meditite.

Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_005.png
Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_006.png
Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_007.png

Combusken Lv20 (w/ Oran Berry): Double Kick 3HKOs Machop and 4HKOs Makuhita. Peck still 2HKOs Meditite. The damage is enough for Bulk Up not to matter anymore.

Ralts LV16 (w/ Oran Berry): Confusion 2HKOs Machop and Makuhita, and 4HKOs Meditite. Seismic Toss from Machop and a boosted Vital Throw from Makuhita can KO Ralts.

Alakazam Lv20 (w/ Oran Berry): Confusion OHKOs everyone.

Combusken Lv20 (w/ Oran Berry): Double Kick 3HKOs Lombre while it 7HKOs back with Swift. Double Kick 3HKOs Marshtomp while it 2HKOs back with Mud Shot. Double Kick 2HKOs Slugma.

Ralts Lv16 (w/ Oran Berry): Confusion 5HKOs Lombre while it 3HKOs back with Swift or Astonish. Confusion 7HKOs Marshtomp while it 3HKOs back with Water Gun. Confusion 3HKOs Slugma, but it can disrupt Ralts with Yawn.

Alakazam Lv20 (w/ Oran Berry): Confusion 2HKOs Lombre. Confusion 3HKOs Marshtomp (misses out shortly on the 2HKO) but if it levels up, it can 2HKO with Psybeam safely. Confusion OHKOs Slugma.

Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_009.png
Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_010.png
Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_011.png

Combusken Lv25 (w/ Oran Berry): Double Kick 3HKOs Voltorb and Magneton, 2HKOs Electrike and 5HKOs Manectric. Combusken is generally 3RKOd. The Bulk Up TM turns this into a ORKO against Voltorb, Magneton, and a 2RKO against Manectric with one use.

Kirlia Lv21 (w/ Oran Berry): Confusion 3HKOs Voltorb while Voltorb outspeeds and 3HKOs back with Shock Wave or Sonic Boom or OHKOs with Selfdestruct. It 2HKOs Electrike while it 3HKOs back with Shock Wave. It 8HKOs Magneton while it 2HKOs back with Shock Wave. It 5HKOs Manectric while it 2HKOs back. It requires 3 Calm Minds to OHKO Voltorb 6 Calm Minds to 2HKO Magneton.

Alakazam Lv25 (w/ Oran Berry): Psybeam OHKOs Voltorb and Electrike, 3HKOs Magneton and 2HKOs Manectric. A sweep can be disrupted by Magneton's Thunder Wave though, who can 5HKO Alakazam with Shock Wave or 4HKO with Sonic Boom. Manectric can 3HKO Alakazam with Shock Wave.

Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_014.png
Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_016.png
Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_015.png
Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_018.png

Combusken Lv31 (w/ Oran Berry): Double Kick 3HKOs Numel and Slugma, 5HKOs Camerupt and 9HKOs Torkoal. After one Bulk Up, Double Kick 2HKOs Numel and Slugma, 4HKOs Camerupt and 5HKOs Torkoal. After two Bulk Ups, Double Kick 3HKOs Camerupt and 4HKOs Torkoal. Double Kick doesn't OHKO Torkoal after six Bulk Up uses, but it can achieve this with the Dig TM. Sunny Day + Overheat 2HKOs Combusken.

Kirlia Lv26 (w/ Oran Berry): Psychic 2HKOs Numel and Slugma. After a Calm Mind, Psychic OHKOs Numel and Slugma, and 2HKOs Camerupt and Torkoal. A Calm Mind sweep is possible after five boosts. It can't withstand two attacks though, so a sweep is unlikely.

Alakazam Lv31 (w/ Oran Berry): Psybeam OHKOs Numel and Slugma, and 2HKOs Camerupt and Torkoal. Overheat from Numel and Slugma 3HKO, and Camerupt and Torkoal 2HKO. First turn: Reflect. If enemy sets up Sunny Day or attacks with Take Down: Continue using Psybeam until you win. If it used Overheat: Heal against Torkoal to resist its Overheat. Heal again to be safe from other attacks.

Spoink Lv26 (w/ Oran Berry): Psybeam 2HKOs Numel and Slugma (Sunny Day boosted Overheat from Numel 2HKOs Spoink), and 4HKOs Camerupt (Tackle 4HKOs back) and Torkoal (Body Slam 2HKOs back). Psychic 3HKOs Camerupt and Torkoal.

Note: I accidentally overleveled Kirlia and didn't give enough experience to Spoink to keep similar experience investment for this battle. Kirlia should be Lv26 and Spoink at Lv27.

Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_021.png
Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_022.png
Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_025.png
Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_024.png

Combusken Lv32 (w/ Oran Berry): Double Kick 2HKOs Spinda and Linoone, 3HKOs Vigoroth and 5HKOs Slaking. A sweep is possible after two Bulk Up uses, but it can be disrupted by Spinda's Teeter Dance and Psybeam, which 3HKOs, but it's unlikely given that enemies outspeed Combusken and defeat it when it's weakened.

Kirlia Lv28 (w/ Oran Berry): Psychic 3HKOs Linoone and 2HKOs Spinda and Vigoroth. Slaking outspeeds and OHKOs with Facade. Linoone's Headbutt and Vigoroth's Slash 2HKO Kirlia (and it outspeeds), while Spinda's Facade 3HKOs.

Alakazam Lv32 (w/ Oran Berry): Psybeam 2HKOs Spinda, Vigoroth and Linoone and 3HKOs Slaking (4HKO after Sitrus). Alakazam can use Reflect to withstand Facade - it is 3HKOd by Slaking's Facade after screen. With the Psychic TM, Alakazam OHKOs Spinda, Vigoroth and 3HKOs Slaking even after the Sitrus Berry. Overall, a consistent, positive match-up against Norman.

Spoink Lv30 (w/ Oran Berry): Psybeam 3HKOs Spinda, Linoone and Vigoroth. Slaking outspeeds and OHKOs with Facade. The Psychic TM turns the 3HKOs into 2HKOs.

I want to keep in note that I'm keeping Spoink around 6000 exp under Combusken deliberately because that's more or less the difference between Combusken Lv27 (what I had then as my highest leveled mon) and Spoink (join level). The Fast experience group really shows. I'm also battling everyone.

In any case, I want to note that I'm not seeing Ralts as an S Tier based on these logs. Disregarding the comparison with Alakazam, which clearly blows it out of the water, the match-ups are worse than what Combusken is showing, who is rated as an A Tier right now. My Ralts has 30 SpA IVs and a Serious nature, and it still had issues with defeating common enemies efficiently before evolution to Kirlia - I remember distinctly dealing with 4HKOs by Confusion. The only match-ups where Ralts has been my most "efficient" option have been against Roxanne and May (Rustboro) but that's because Torchic has type disadvantage (obviously bad) and Abra has no attacks yet, and being better than a matchup with type disadvantage and a mon that can't attack doesn't speak much. Even in battles where it's supposed to shine (Brawly), it faces significant issues and pales in comparison to other mons with better leveling rates, and even when it acquires Calm Mind, Kirlia's lack of stats prevent it from sweeping properly because it can be defeated before it has a chance.

I'm assuming Gardevoir is a significant upgrade from Kirlia, which is what I remember already from back when I was a child (it is one of my favorite Pokémon so I used it a lot back then). I believe that the Slow experience group really hampers it down more than what one would believe, and for a Pokémon whose stats are underneath a stage 1 starter, waiting half of the game for it to become good while battling all trainers doesn't scream S Tier to me, or even A. I mean, even when it gets Calm Mind, it needs +2 to match Alakazam's Special Attack, and it's still going to be weaker until Lv26 because Psybeam is stronger than Confusion.

Now, some of you might argue that the average player doesn't care about leveling rates or all that stuff, which is fair, I don't expect people to play like that either, but if this is supposed to help someone who just wants to clear the game without much issue (or heck, even newcomers?), telling them to use a Pokémon with a Slow leveling rate that will need a lot of training to match its peers and doesn't become excellent until the second half of the game (according to you, I still need to see that by myself) and with an inconsistent performance as a qualified recommendation doesn't sound like doing that person a favor. In fact Kirlia has reminded me more of a less bulky version of Spoink and if it wasn't because of natural Psychic and Calm Mind, which I'll assume will come into better play in the lategame, I'd rather recommend someone to use Spoink instead.

The other mon I want to talk about is Torchic. I'm getting the impression that starters as a whole take too long to become excellent, too, and while Combusken hasn't been mediocre, it hasn't had the capability to sweep consistently without item support due to its frailty. When I read the following description:

"Reserved for Pokémon whose efficiency in terms of completing the game is considered to be very high. Pokémon in this tier are able to OHKO or 2HKO a lot of opponents and are not very reliant on items to succeed"

This is not the impression that I have got in the first half of the game, according to these logs. In fact, the description for B Tier:

"Reserved for Pokémon whose efficiency in terms of completing the game is considered to be high. Pokémon in this tier are able to OHKO or 2HKO a fair chunk of opponents and may have a bit of item reliance to assist in sweeping opponents. "

seems to fit more the criteria.

anyways, sorry for my controversial post, I guess, but i just don't seem to see what you guys see on them. weird that i may be vouching for a drop on what are two of my all-time favorite pokémon

Attachments

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

I'm having a hard time taking your Ralts logs at face value, I can't help but notice that in the majority of these fights you've left Ralts/Kirlia underleveled, seemingly intentionally. Taking on Brawly's Makuhita at level 13 isn't a reasonable task for any Pokemon yet you did so for Ralts standing up against a higher leveled Alakazam. Similarly for the next three leaders you've left Kirlia underleveled relative to the rest of your team, and indeed on the very low end of what level you'd expect someone to be at for the various points in the games.

I don't wish to diminish your experience as indeed the Gardevoir period is fantastic but I wonder if your perception is being skewed by the direct comparison to Alakazam, a tall task to match up to for a Ralts. As indeed Ralts or Kirlia don't need to be as good as an Alakazam if they are sufficiently successful in their own right, as of course we do not tier in direct comparison between Pokemon. Which is to say that between your imposed low levels and direct comparison to Alakazam, it seems easy to miss an adequate performance by Kirlia under less adverse circumstances. Certainly the Gardevoir phase is the selling point of the line.

Looking forward to see how the rest of your test pans out.

In any case, I want to note that I'm not seeing Ralts as an S Tier based on these logs. Disregarding the comparison with Alakazam, which clearly blows it out of the water, the match-ups are worse than what Combusken is showing, who is rated as an A Tier right now. My Ralts has 30 SpA IVs and a Serious nature, and it still had issues with defeating common enemies efficiently before evolution to Kirlia - I remember distinctly dealing with 4HKOs by Confusion. The only match-ups where Ralts has been my most "efficient" option have been against Roxanne and May (Rustboro) but that's because Torchic has type disadvantage (obviously bad) and Abra has no attacks yet, and being better than a matchup with type disadvantage and a mon that can't attack doesn't speak much. Even in battles where it's supposed to shine (Brawly), it faces significant issues and pales in comparison to other mons with better leveling rates, and even when it acquires Calm Mind, Kirlia's lack of stats prevent it from sweeping properly because it can be defeated before it has a chance.
There's some noticeable issues with your leveling there. No mons at Lv. 13 should be trying to be dealing with a Makuhita's Vital Throw + a potential Bulk Up unless they're Ghost-type. Matter of fact, if you had an Lv. 13 Abra instead of an Lv. 16 Alakazam, it wouldn't get past Meditite.

Gardevoir does make up for the Ralts period, even though Slow Exp. Group is terrible the whole game. Again, natural early Psychic and Calm Mind is seriously a lot. TBolt in "Too much water" is huge.
Think of Ralts less like an Alakazam and more like a Gyarados that can actually pull its weight on routes during the Magikarp period. Ralts *is* bad, but it's not useless. Kirlia can just force a win with Calm Mind and Gardevoir just rips the game in half harder than Alakazam because it actually has coverage.

Speaking of which... Why are you running 3 Psychic-types in the same team?

I'm having a hard time taking your Ralts logs at face value, I can't help but notice that in the majority of these fights you've left Ralts/Kirlia underleveled, seemingly intentionally. Taking on Brawly's Makuhita at level 13 isn't a reasonable task for any Pokemon yet you did so for Ralts standing up against a higher leveled Alakazam. Similarly for the next three leaders you've left Kirlia underleveled relative to the rest of your team, and indeed on the very low end of what level you'd expect someone to be at for the various points in the games.

I don't wish to diminish your experience as indeed the Gardevoir period is fantastic but I wonder if your perception is being skewed by the direct comparison to Alakazam, a tall task to match up to for a Ralts. As indeed Ralts or Kirlia don't need to be as good as an Alakazam if they are sufficiently successful in their own right, as of course we do not tier in direct comparison between Pokemon. Which is to say that between your imposed low levels and direct comparison to Alakazam, it seems easy to miss an adequate performance by Kirlia under less adverse circumstances. Certainly the Gardevoir phase is the selling point of the line.

Looking forward to see how the rest of your test pans out.
Well, if you look at the screenshots, you can see I trained Torchic and Ralts pretty much equally, so it isn't my intention to let the Pokémon be underleveled but rather a natural result of its Slow experience group. You can also see on the logs that I posted the match-up against Brawly with a Lv16 Ralts because I considered alternate playstyles (some people do Slateport before Brawly for example), and it still faced some issues that, for example Combusken, wouldn't have by that point.

My problem right now with Ralts as an S Tier Pokémon is that, so far, I would rather use Torchic than it, and Ralts faces significant issues that I mentioned in my previous post: it's frail and can't really sweep properly. You're right that I wanted to compare it with Alakazam (and with Grumpig too, this answers your question Volt-Ikazuchi on why I have three Psychics in the same team) but I think that if you look at the screenshots, the problem is not necessarily the comparison with Alakazam (which so far has filled the description of an S Tier very well) but to other teammates, and I put in question if we can really call S Tier a Pokémon that takes so much time to become good.

I also have some doubts on Gardevoir's later performance but it's just theorymonning, and I'll reserve my thoughts until I get there and see by myself if I'm correct. I hope I'm wrong though because I need someone that helps me clear the game! I'm looking forward to see where this goes, too.

By a very big coincidence, I also did a run yesterday including Ralts, Torchic, and Spoink (as well as Shroomish and Marill)! I had hoped to confirm/refute my old arguments from previous posts for Spoink and Marill and against Ralts. I didn't know Xator_Nova's run was already underway (I see that there's a post on the last page about it, but I must have missed it).

Anyway, I'll hold off posting my run until Xator's is done (Xator's logs are better anyway and I want to take time to edit/trim mine, knowing that a lot of it is now redundant), but the tl;dr is that my findings are the same—when given equal exp. investment to its teammates, Ralts is too slow/frail for evasion hax to work consistently on early bosses, weak/frail/slow for early route clearing (or grinding, which you'd do to reach some of Texas's suggested level benchmarks on a larger team), and was worse than Torchic, Shroomish, and (especially) Marill for the first half of the game. My logs will back this up.

Last edited:
My problem right now with Ralts as an S Tier Pokémon is that, so far, I would rather use Torchic than it, and Ralts faces significant issues that I mentioned in my previous post: it's frail and can't really sweep properly. You're right that I wanted to compare it with Alakazam (and with Grumpig too, this answers your question Volt-Ikazuchi on why I have three Psychics in the same team) but I think that if you look at the screenshots, the problem is not necessarily the comparison with Alakazam (which so far has filled the description of an S Tier very well) but to other teammates, and I put in question if we can really call S Tier a Pokémon that takes so much time to become good.
Just wondering, who gets Shock Wave in that scenario? Ralts wants it to not be walled by Dark-types, but it can live without it with the right teammates. Alakazam and Spoink absolutely need it no matter what or else they have no coverage.

Your testing also has the issue of being *very* inorganic. People don't usually split Exp by giving mons set amounts. They usually level mons evenly.

For example, If I'm up against Brawly with a Ralts at Lv. 13, it's grind or bench time, especially with other mons at 3 or 4 levels higher.

Slow Exp. means it'll usually drag the team levels down, so for example, you got 8.179 total exp in those Pre-Slateport Brawly screenshots. You'd be with all mons around Lv. 14~15 instead of 2 at 16 and Ralts at 13.

As for Ralts' true position... It's really a rare case of an S- mon, but we don't have that tier, so let's list the pros and cons.

Pros

Excellent stats.

125 SpA hits hard even through resists, 115 SpD allows it to tank dangerous special attacks from the likes of Tate&Liza, Wallace, Drake, and Glacia. 80 Spe is adequate and with natural Speed EVs from beating in-game trainers, which will have plenty due to positive matchups against Flying-type mons with its Electric coverage, it can outspeed basically everything but the fastest mons in the game.

Cost-Efficient and Versatile.

Kirlia learns both Psychic and Calm Mind at an incredibly low level. This means it doesn't need to worry about lackluster STAB or needing a Game Corner TM. In terms of coverage, it wants either Thief (which also has excellent utility against Leaders by stealing their Sitrus Berries) or Shock Wave. I'll get back to Shock Wave in a second. Then, it can get the free Thunderbolt TM from the New Mauville quest or buy one at the GC, but if it has Shock Wave, it can hold on to that if you need the money for other TMs.

Its 4th slot is extremely versatile. Keeping Thief allows it to steal Sitrus Berries from Leaders to heal damage taken while setting up Calm Mind, this is most important during the Kirlia phase. As a Gardevoir, it can upgrade to using Reflect/Light Screen, with Reflect being the better option to patch its Defense and allow easier setting up if necessary.

However... Keeping Shock Wave allows it to be the absolute best counter to Juan's Kingdra. It can Calm Mind while Kingdra tries to Double Team, and then slam it hard with Shock Waves it can't avoid. Other Psychics can do it, but they'd need both the CM and Shock Wave TMs. Hypnosis also becomes an option Late-Game.

Versatile Matchups.

Gardevoir has several good matchups where it can both contribute or outright sweep, with many of them being difficult such as Winona, Tate and Liza, Juan, and Wallace. It can outright sweep three of those, and setting up screens on Tate and Liza makes it a much easier battle.

Gardevoir will generally perform best as a strong glue that handles problematic sections and matchups. With Calm Mind, even would-be checks are just outmuscled after even just one boost due to its stellar SpA. It also destroys most route trainers with ease.

Cons

Slow Exp. Group.

This is the one nagging problem that will haunt Gardevoir the whole game. It will drag its team down Exp. wise and there's really no other way to say it.

Lackluster Ralts Phase.

Ralts is a weak Pokémon. Straight up. Unlike the likes of Magikarp and Abra however, it can pull its weight when it comes to Route Clearing. Poochyena will be a problem because it can't hit them with Confusion. But otherwise, it can do just fine.

When it comes to matchups during that period, Ralts will be best used at softening leaders by beating down their weaker mons allowing one of your better options to cover their ace, or taking down their aces with its teammates taking care of the weaker mons so it can come in unscathed. You will need to know what you're doing for those tho.

Common Misconceptions.

Early Gym Matchups.

Roxanne's Geodude isn't too much of a problem to it. Nosepass is a bit too resilient and honestly hits too hard for it to be a *good* matchup. One Double Team (Just one!) already makes Rock Tomb much less of a concern and you literally won't have other moves to use anyway. For those like me that don't like cheese, Growl is also an option. A sweep is nigh-impossible though.

Brawly requires Ralts to be able to tank a Vital Throw, which likely means going to Slateport first. This isn't too bad. Ideally, you'll want to get the Thief TM there so you can steal his Sitrus Berry. The plan is simple. Growl until it uses Vital Throw. A -1 VT is easily survivable.
Use Thief, heal up with the Sitrus, 2HKO back with Confusion before it can 2HKO you. No sweat. Very few things can just handle Brawly's Makuhita that easily.

Wattson is an RNG fiesta where no one sweeps. Between TWave and Exploding mons, it just won't happen. It can beat Manectric with Thief and Calm Mind strats. I recommend giving it a Cheri Berry for the inevitable TWave. This guarantees a CM, and allows you to steal the Sitrus at your leisure. Kirlia can and will beat Manectric one-on-one and it's one of the best options against Magneton because it can CM and scrap with it. Most mons can't even attempt to do so.

Flannery is also a good matchup to just try and steal stuff, namely Torkoal's White Herb, making Overheat much less of a threat, especially since you might be able to sneak in a CM against one of her other mons. Possible to sweep. Body Slam might be a bit troublesome tho.

Norman is a complex one. If you have Gardevoir, you have a very hard hitter to scrap with him. If you have Kirlia, things get much trickier. Anything with low defense has an outright bad matchup against Norman, Kirlia might not be an exception, though it does fare better than most by having a very strong STAB. It might be able to deal with Linoone or Vigoroth. Wouldn't count on either. This is Ralts' worst matchup in the entire game.

After that, you will have evolved Kirlia and will have an advantage or defensive utility over pretty much anything not named Phoebe. Enjoy winning.

Kirlia Phase

Kirlia may have weak stats, but it does have excellent moves at its disposal. Getting off even one or two Calm Minds allows it to muscle past dangerous special threats that would be troublesome for many other mons.

It can't be understated how impactful early Psychic is. You'll have most of your teammates fumbling around with 60~70BP STAB options at best, and Kirlia can even boost it with one of the best setup moves in the game.

With all of that said, I personally believe Ralts should be kept at S, but would understand, despite disagreeing with it, if it's knocked down to a because of the combination of the Ralts Phase and Slow Exp. Group.

Just wondering, who gets Shock Wave in that scenario? Ralts wants it to not be walled by Dark-types, but it can live without it with the right teammates. Alakazam and Spoink absolutely need it no matter what or else they have no coverage.
the way i'm approaching this is that i'm saving up the rare TMs (the ones you don't buy at markets) for boss battles, then i'm attempting to beat bosses with their natural movesets, and then testing them with different TM combinations. this helps me to see which mons actually need certain TMs

i'm using combusken for dark-type enemies at the moment, and with the full team i can get past bosses without the need of TMs anyways

i haven't played much since last time because work so i'll just share these couple of battles

Combusken Lv33 (w/ Sitrus Berry): Double Kick 3HKOs Lombre, 4HKOs Marshtomp and 2HKOs Slugma.

Kirlia Lv29 (w/ Sitrus Berry): Psychic 3HKOs Lombre and Marshtomp, and OHKOs Slugma. It is a 2HKO after one Calm Mind, although Marshtomp can 2HKO Kirlia with Mud Shot.

Alakazam Lv33 (w/ Sitrus Berry): Psybeam 2HKOs Lombre and Marshtomp, and OHKOs Slugma. With the Psychic TM, it is a OHKO on Lombre, and it becomes a OHKO on Marshtomp after one Calm Mind.

Spoink Lv31 (w/ Sitrus Berry): Psybeam 3HKOs Lombre, 3HKOs Marshtomp and 2HKOs Slugma. With the Psychic TM, it is a 2HKO on Lombre and a OHKO on Slugma. It must be noted that Mud Shot 3HKOs Spoink.

Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_026.png
Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_027.png
Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_028.png
Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe)_029.png

Combusken Lv35 (w/ Sitrus Berry): Double Kick 3HKOs Swablu. Ember 2HKOs Skarmory and 3HKOs Tropius, although Tropius can use Sunny Day counterproductively and turn it into a 2HKO. Strength 3HKOs Pelipper and 4HKOs Altaria. With one Bulk Up use, Double Kick OHKOs Swablu, Strength 2HKOs Pelipper and 3HKOs Altaria, while it 4HKOs back after Sitrus Berry. With the Flamethrower TM, Combusken OHKOs Tropius and Skarmory. A sweep is consistent if Combusken is given the Flamethrower TMs, surprisingly. It must be noted that in one level, Combusken would evolve to Blaziken and learn Blaze Kick, which makes the Flamethrower TM not required anymore.

Gardevoir Lv31 (w/ Sitrus Berry): Psychic 2HKOs Swablu, Tropius and Pelipper, and 3HKOs Skarmory and Altaria. With one Calm Mind, Swablu and Pelipper get OHKOd, Altaria gets 2HKOd, but Skarmory is still 3HKOd. With the Thunderbolt TM, Gardevoir OHKOs Swablu, Pelipper and 2HKOs Skarmory. A sweep is consistent with an electric-type TM.

Alakazam Lv35 (w/ Sitrus Berry): Psybeam 2HKOs Swablu, Tropius and Pelipper, and 3HKOs Skarmory and Altaria. After one Calm Mind, Swablu and Pelipper get OHKOd, and Skarmory and Altaria get 2HKOd. With the Shock Wave TM, Alakazam OHKOs Pelipper and Swablu, and 2HKOs Skarmory. With the Psychic TM, Alakazam OHKOs Swablu and 2HKOs Altaria. It must be noted that in one level, Alakazam would learn Psychic through level-up. The Shock Wave TM helps against Skarmory, but it's not needed to sweep Winona.

Grumpig Lv34 (w/ Sitrus Berry): Spoink can learn Psychic through level up at Lv34, so holding on evolving until then is a good idea. Psychic 2HKOs Swablu and Pelipper, 3HKOs Tropius and Altaria and 4HKOs Skarmory. With the Shock Wave TM, Grumpig 2HKOs Skarmory. A sweep is surprisingly viable with the Shock Wave TM.

i just want to say that spoink was ready to evolve before kirlia even at 6000 exp underneath. not that it matters much because both of them are evolved for winona, but it speaks to the advantage that is belonging to the fast experience group. anyways, grumpig has been good so far! i was surprised to see that it could deal with winona by itself. the higher bulk benefits it even with the lower power. but i get the impression that the lack of natural calm mind will make it need TMs that gardevoir and alakazam don't seem to need. we will see.

also this isn't in the logs, but perish song from swablu will disrupt any sweeping attempts from everyone, so you'd just have to switch to your hm slave or something and let it faint against tropius

Texas Cloverleaf

Swablu isn't a problem to boost once and kill, pelipper/tropius/skarm aren't doing anything too scary to prevent you from continuing to boost as needed

Last edited:
I haven't felt that Ralts is held back by not having Shock Wave between the Wattson fight and the Norman fight (where you can get the free Thunderbolt TM). I'm pretty sure the only serious Dark type is Archie's Mightyena on Mt. Chimney which Ralts doesn't want to fight anyway. Not sure there are even any Poochyenas or Carvanhas to hit at this point in the game. They'd be easy for anyone else to beat, anyway.

Ralts doesn't get Magical Leaf in Emerald. You could try Thief if you really really really want to hit Poochyena? As for the other Psychic pokes, Shock Wave is indeed their only coverage for the rest of the game, but I actually don't think it's an enormous problem to miss it? I never tested Spoink without Shock Wave, for instance, but in terms of boss battles, as far as I can tell, it would mostly lose out on a Juan sweep (Crawdaunt) and a kill on Phoebe's Sableye (which she sends out at the end iirc, so if a Spoink sweep has gone that far, you're already most of the way done). A worse Maxie and Archie fight too. Generally STAB Psychic is enough.

Your testing also has the issue of being *very* inorganic. People don't usually split Exp by giving mons set amounts. They usually level mons evenly.
The reason to test things this way is that it makes the impact of exp. rates really clear and concrete. No more "well I guess Spoink brings up the team by a level or so," now we know just how valuable that fast growth is in a way that shows up in hard numbers in Spoink's battle logs.

Anyway I don't think it's super inorganic. It's more or less just switching pokes after every trainer battle. If you don't think it's natural, I think it makes sense to do the write-ups assuming you're leveling mons evenly, but to still accept Xator's tests as a fair reflection of what those Pokémon give to the team.

Last edited:
As for the other Psychic pokes, Shock Wave is indeed their only coverage for the rest of the game, but I actually don't think it's an enormous problem to miss it?
I wouldn't want to storm Team Magma/Aqua's bases with absolutely no answer to Dark-types outside of switching out. Especially Aqua's since they got Carvanha and Poochyena/Mightyena to flat out wall things.

The reason to test things this way is that it makes the impact of exp. rates really clear and concrete. No more "well I guess Spoink brings up the team by a level or so," now we know just how valuable that fast growth is in a way that shows up in hard numbers in Spoink's battle logs.
Not really. You're essentially giving Spoink more levels than it would have in an even-leveled playthrough and throwing Ralts under the bus.

The best way to test the impact of different exp. groups imo are to do simultaneous runs with logs and having mons with the same exp. group (or even the same mons, but this could get boring, outside of the one you want to test.

Hell, gimme a couple minutes with PkHex, and I can give you exact level differences based on the Exp. pool gathered in Xator's screenshots. This method just reinforces a point of view by using non-standard testing methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)