Pokemon Manga?

I'm in the planning stages of a Pokemon Manga, "Pokemon Crimson, Indigo & Jade." The current plan is that it's set 25 years or so into the future of GSC (which was approx. 4 years or so after RBY), although it's set in an entirely new region (which is just a really big region, Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh have all merged within, and are no longer called as such). It's not necessarily a dystopia, but it's definitely different than the happy, cheery times of RBY. It will mostly feature my three main characters, Crimson, Indigo & Jade (a throwback to the Pokemon Special Manga), and their journey to compete for their dreams. Also included are 300 or so new Pokemon, of my own creation (a few evos and babies thrown in, but more or less my own), making the total in the ~800 region.

The major point I plan to make with this manga is a mature Pokemon manga for the teens and young adults that grew up with Pokemon in the RBY ages, but somewhat saw it as more kiddy, and grew out of it. I want to make Pokemon more mature, but no GORY violence and no blatant sex, and no EXTREME language, but something that would be considered "Older Teen." It will have a good amount of what made the Pokemon series good (gyms, contests, catching, etc.), but have a whole new spin.

My question to y'all is: Who'd be interested in seeing it?

Sadly I have to agree with that... if it's going to be "mature" it won't work without good art.

Also, why do all that work on a fan comic when you can make something original and all your own? :)

I'd be happy to show some of my art, I'm currently working on character sheets of Crimson, Indigo & Jade.

I've had a few fleeting ideas about a variety of stuff I could do a manga about, but they seem more attuned to video game plots than manga plots. Until I actually DO have a good original idea in my head, I figure a doujinshii (fan manga) will help me hone my skills.

Ohh ooh, Doujin Work :-p

No, I really don't have a clue how Doujinshi works at all, aside from what I've read in wikipedia articles trying to understand the Anime Doujin Work >_> But I assume this is an unofficial work, so it must be a Doujinshi by definition, right?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I want to make Pokemon more mature, but no GORY violence and no blatant sex, and no EXTREME language, but something that would be considered "Older Teen." It will have a good amount of what made the Pokemon series good (gyms, contests, catching, etc.), but have a whole new spin.
So like the official Pokemon manga =P Although I guess on one of the chapters they violated the no gory violence rule.

http://www.freewebs.com/jinjo1338/pokemonmanga.htm

Read it if you haven't, it's amazing.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
holy shit firestorm i had been looking for scans of those for literally years

awesome thanks

Wow, thats actually a decent manga.

Granted, the Electric Tale of Pikachu wouldn't have been so bad if Jessie / James didn't come in >_> It just started following the anime... and it had quite a good start too.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I remember reading the first 2 volumes in Chapters when I was 13... Then I got back into DP earlier this year and found that. Read it in a few days. The story is far better than the anime. They're on volume 24 or something now, in the DP arc. But only the first 9 volumes are translated and getting all 24 costs about $300 :( Only available in English in Singapore.

Oh, I know it's amazing :D

The only thing is, most of the artwork is quite chibi-ish, even more so than Sugimori-san's artwork is. My goal is too have a more mature, shonen-ized art style (the likes of Bleach, FMA, D.Gray-Man), and with slightly more detailed PKMN (while still retaining their simplistic designs). I think it'll make with a good aesthetic contrast.

From what I understand, Electric Tale of Pikachu follows the anime, and the Pokemon Adventures/Special Manga follows the games.

Also, I'm in the process of working on character sheets. I should have Crimson (one of the main characters), along with one of his Pokemon (new) by the end of tomorrow.

Firestorm

WTF? The plotline doesn't follow... the anime at all >_>

If you guys don't mind spoilers... here's a page.
Um, it's not meant to follow the anime. But I don't want to hijack this thread. RLan has something interesting he's doing and it's unrelated to this other htan they're both mangas. I guess I got it sidetracked a bit. I'll make a new thread for it.

I would like to see yours, but how long would it take you to this? :)

I'd be really interested to read it though. :D
Well, since I'm using a "pilot chapter" of the manga as my Drawing class final (we can do ANYTHING, as long as we apply what we've learned, and include some observed artwork), I plan on having it done no later than December 13. As long as my professor OKs my proposal, I should be alright.

The pilot chapter in question will be a "chapter" taken directly from the early-ish plot of the manga (think of where ever the second-third gym would be in the avg. Pokemon game, it'll prolly be smack-dab in-between that).

The chapter will feature Crimson and Jade, who both have decided to battle (as opposed to contests, which Indigo has taken up) in a tournament, exclusively fighting Pokemon. The prize is a shiny Tyrogue (which will evolve into a new Hitmon- I devised). However, a mystery fighter is among the up-and-comers in the tournament, and has a dangerous Pokemon on hand. Rumors circulate that this dangerous Pokemon has gone so far as to murder other Pokemon amidst battle, although these are simply rumors.

I used this part, since fighting PKMN make for great action sequences, and makes a great preview of the mature edge of the overall feel of PCIJ I want to have.

I've read pokemon special for a while, until gsc. I kinda stopped caring then, but the rby saga was awesome.

i'm insterested in this project, would like to see drawings as well

The only reason manga goes right to left is because it was written in japanese, and panels are read from right to left. From what I understand, American-made manga would be left to right.

I've been so busy with finals for college, I completely forgot this thread...
As soon as I can, I'll post my character studies.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
well earlier (like years+ ago) when american companies imported manga, they flipped the pages so that it read left to right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)