Pokemon Legends - Arceus - 28th Jan 2022 *Official Content Only*

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Y'know... I gotta say...

Even if this game ends up being a Sonic 06 level-trainwreck where the devs bit off way more than they can chew. Even if the hype wears off spectacularly when it comes out and it turns out to be nothing special.

It just feels so refreshing to have a mainline Pokemon game with Game Freak at the helm, one based on an old game no less, where we genuinely haven't the damndest clue about the most basic of ground rules. That doesn't sound like a compliment, but it is. Things that were once considered tried and true like story progression, the battle system, map design and so forth are now completely up in the air to an extent we have never seen in this franchise before. It seems like nearly nothing is off-limits anymore, and for a franchise that prior to this announcement many felt had stagnated that's the shit we really needed.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
I'm praying this trailer is just typical early days bullshit. Seeing that Chingling flicker around raised a red flag the size of the USSR for me. This game looks like it could be absolutely incredible, this has been a typical fan's dream for a long time. Since GF outsourced BDSP, perhaps that was to give time for this? If so, please, god...make good use of it.

To be honest, I feel, in a way, it was to represent medieval classes of sorts. Rowlet obviously evolves into Decidueye--an archer. Oshawott into a knight/samurai--Samurott. Though, what kind of breaks this theory to me is Cyndaquil. You'd think if they went fully in on this concept they would use something like Fennekin, which evolves into a mage in Delphox; honestly Typhlosion kind of eludes me here. Maybe it's supposed to represent artillery warfare? Not sure;;

Though, logistically, I think you're right; it's most probable they went with these 3 for representation's sake, while having some extra convenient flavor in Rowlet and Oshawott's origins.

Regardless I think this entire thing is incredibly intuitive, one of a kind, and really cool. It takes a super unique approach that I feel the series has been aching for since it went 3D, and frankly exploring Sinnoh's super fascinating lore (with fucking ARCEUS no less) is such an amazing approach. Super excited for this; I just hope they're careful about the execution!
This might be a stretch but to me, Typhlosion represents the untamed wilderness, unlike Decidueye and Samurott who are linked to civilization. That said, I'm super hyped for this game as well, and I feel like it's going to focus heavily on the plot.

I would imagine this gets delayed to holiday 2022, because the trailer looked quite rough, almost like a fan made game at some parts. I can’t imagine seeing significant improvements if they intend on releasing this in a year.

That being said, the concept is incredible, it’s literally the kind of game the fanbase has been begging for. But now it is perhaps more important than ever that Game Freak actually takes their time with a project, because the potential is immense.

After sleeping on it, I do wonder if Pokemon Legends is getting released in 2022 so that it can be a launch title for the rumored Switch Pro. Which may lead to a CyberPunk situation: the game runs pretty well on the upgraded console but lags on the standard Switch. Honestly, from the trailer, this game doesn't feel like it's supposed to be mainly played in handheld mode either.

Also, I'm wondering, that if this game turns out to be a success, are we getting Pokemon Legends Mew further down? I mean, there's more than plenty to work with there...

1614442604875.png

I know it’s pretty early but here is the initial Pokemon Legends checklist:

Pokemon Legends Checklist 2021-02-27.png

New confirmations:
- Rowlet, Dartrix, Decidueye (Starter),
- Cyndaquil, Quilava, Typhlosion (Starter),
- Oshawott, Dewott, Samurott (Starter),
- Pichu, Pikachu, Raichu,
- Rhyhorn, Rhydon, Rhyperior,
- Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir, Gallade,
- Budew, Roselia, Roserade,
- Chingling, Chimecho,
- Spheal, Sealeo, Walrein,
- Turtwig, Grotle, Torterra (Wild),
- Chimchar, Monferno, Infernape (Wild),
- Piplup, Prinplup, Empoleon (Wild),
- Starly, Staravia, Staraptor,
- Bidoof, Bibarel,
- Shinx, Luxio, Luxray,
- Bronzor, Bronzong,
- Gible, Gabite, Garchomp,
- Riolu, Lucario,
- Arceus (Box Mascot).

Unsurprisingly, the game contains mainly Sinnoh Pokemon. Rhyhorn and Ralts evolutionary lines were featured in Platinum’s expanded Pokedex. Spheal line, however, was never present in a Sinnoh Dex. Starters are explicitly stated to come from other regions.

Starters.png

I also noticed that Legends Starters are presented without an Ability. It’s possible that it doesn’t mean anything, but it may also indicate that Abilities are missing from the game. Either that or the Ability mechanic is going to get an overhaul (Arceus, the Box Legend is heavily reliant on its Ability).

After all, this is a perfect opportunity for GameFreak to experiment with old game mechanics. Personally, I hope that the battle system, which remained largely unchanged for 25 years, is finally going to be sped up and streamlined.

Unsurprisingly, the game contains mainly Sinnoh Pokemon. Rhyhorn and Ralts evolutionary lines were featured in Platinum’s expanded Pokedex. Spheal line, however, was never present in a Sinnoh Dex. Starters are explicitly stated to come from other regions.
That said, Spheal does come from the post-game island, fairly commonly on the route between the Battle Area and Resort Area! I could see most non-Sinnoh dex (if not all) Pokémon coming under that category, too -- Spearow, Rattata, Torkoal, Skarmory...

I think there's a good chance a lot of you have already seen this, but I haven't seen the Tweet in this thread, so here it is:

That logo on the protagonist's sleeves is wayyyyy too similar to the Team Galactic logo for it to be a coincidence. Since at the beginning of the trailer we see the protags' adventures being written down in an ink book, maybe that book got into the Canalave Library, and Cyrus found it and used it as the inspiration for his schemes?

Or... this is really, really far off... but hear me out... what if Cyrus is a descendant of one or both of the Legends: Arceus protagonists?

...Yeah, no, that's too much of a reach.

But there's definitely some Team Galactic origins woven in here somehow.

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think this game looks really interesting. I'm wondering if there are no other trainers, and not really a focus on battling, how is GF going to take the story in a new direction?

I hope it has enough content in it to justify the price tag. While it looks cool, if it's just run around and catch the mons (without needing to battle maybe?), I feel like I've done that a bunch already, it just looks different now aha. Especially if fully evolved mons are just chilling in the middle of the overworld like in SS wild area.

I think it looks okay, I'm REALLY questioning the shot in the trailer with the Chingling though. Looks really awful and stuck out immediately. Like they had no other smooth shots to pick from for the trailer? Slightly worrisome. Unless Chingling is supposed to move like it has a super low framerate?

I think this is going to do really well though. Nowadays people hear "open world" and EAT that shit up.

Y'know... I gotta say...

Even if this game ends up being a Sonic 06 level-trainwreck where the devs bit off way more than they can chew. Even if the hype wears off spectacularly when it comes out and it turns out to be nothing special.

It just feels so refreshing to have a mainline Pokemon game with Game Freak at the helm, one based on an old game no less, where we genuinely haven't the damndest clue about the most basic of ground rules. That doesn't sound like a compliment, but it is. Things that were once considered tried and true like story progression, the battle system, map design and so forth are now completely up in the air to an extent we have never seen in this franchise before. It seems like nearly nothing is off-limits anymore, and for a franchise that prior to this announcement many felt had stagnated that's the shit we really needed.
Yes, this. I'm the target audience anyway, as a Pokemon fan who loved BotW, but this is GF doing something that's not "new region, 120 new mons, super-mechanic, evil team". They're taking a risk, changing the formula. Much like SM totem challenges, even if it doesn't stick or there's parts that don't work, it can only help them going forward to have tried something new and figured out what doesn't work and what does.

Yeah, there's hiccups, and it def looks worse than BotW or 2011 Skyrim, but programming is not GF's main skillset. I'm really hoping this is good, and that it stretches what everyone thinks the franchise is capable of.

I’m kinda wondering if we’ll see fossil Pokémon or not? It’s way too early to restore fossils, but it’s probably after they died out? Still though, it seems weird to toss out the sinnoh fossil mons that could potentially work in the setting, unlike porygon-z and stuff, but it also seems like it would be weird to include them, since they’re probably dead?
What would be really fun is to see the non-rock versions of fossils, the version that existed before getting revived*. They'd probably be considered regional forms, but picture the water/bug Omastar/Kabutops, normal/flying Aerodactyl/Archeops, or Grass/Water Cradily. They've never really done anything like that before, but it could be a super interesting addition to the world.

Also, original recipe Genesect.

*No, the timeline doesn't really work for that, no, I don't care

A lot of people seem really hung up on the chingling, I think it's worth noting that in it's pokedex entry for Diamond, it's noted that it "moves with flouncing hops", and flouncing, via google, is defined as "move with exaggerated motions". I don't think it's out of the question that the movement is actually intended, especially since the player character in that shot doesn't seem to have framerate issues. I don't think this exonerates Pokemon Legends: Arceus from needing some graphical upgrades and such before it's released, but I think we shouldn't be too concerned.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
A lot of people seem really hung up on the chingling, I think it's worth noting that in it's pokedex entry for Diamond, it's noted that it "moves with flouncing hops", and flouncing, via google, is defined as "move with exaggerated motions". I don't think it's out of the question that the movement is actually intended, especially since the player character in that shot doesn't seem to have framerate issues. I don't think this exonerates Pokemon Legends: Arceus from needing some graphical upgrades and such before it's released, but I think we shouldn't be too concerned.
The chimchar also has low frame rate issues, and I’m pretty sure that chingling was moving with the default walking cycle it always had, just at 3 FPS. Definitely unintentional.

If it is intentional, though, wtf

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
So out of some of the leaked non-trailer screenshots, there's one that's really stumped me and quite a few others.

075259C6-EF88-4499-ADBE-50EE8C14D5DC.jpeg

Aight, judging by the giant healthbar this seems like some sort of raid/boss encounter. That's not the big mystery here, though.

The real mystery... What the actual hell is this Pokemon? At a quick first glance I thought it was a Magmar but the more I stare at it the less I can tell what it's actually supposed to be. It's weird since every other screenshot leaked is pretty clear-cut, but this one's just an unrecognizable blotch in comparison.

So out of some of the leaked non-trailer screenshots, there's one that's really stumped me and quite a few others.

View attachment 319525
Aight, judging by the giant healthbar this seems like some sort of raid/boss encounter. That's not the big mystery here, though.

The real mystery... What the actual hell is this Pokemon? At a quick first glance I thought it was a Magmar but the more I stare at it the less I can tell what it's actually supposed to be. It's weird since every other screenshot leaked is pretty clear-cut, but this one's just an unrecognizable blotch in comparison.
Good catch! My thoughts below (Edit to add spoiler tags)
Never thought I’d be struggling with a “who’s that Pokémon?”. When I first saw it I just thought it was an explosion that was obscuring a Pokémon, but zooming in you can definitely see ~something~. I’m seeing a face (two eyes, mouth, eyebrow/eye ridges), an arm in front, a large shovel-looking limb to the top left, and a lightning bolt tail(?) behind it. Although maybe I’m just seeing things and it’s really a jigglypuff from above. My guess is that it’s not something we can identify right now (I’m totally prepared to eat those words if I’m wrong), but rather a unique mechanic/form/pokemon to the game that ties into the lore/arceus storyline (rather than just being a boosted Pokémon encounter, like totem Pokémon).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)