Challenge Pokemon Crystal Hardcore Nuzblocke (inspired by Eeveeto)

Unlike Eeveeto, my Nuzblocke bans Pokemon I already won a previous Hardcore Nuzlocke with (as opposed to OU-tier mons in competitive).

The challenge ends at Red and the rules are as follows:

1) First Come, First Capture: Can only catch/buy/obtain the first Pokemon I find or encounter in each area (only after I have Poke Balls the first time).
2) Banned Champions: The following Pokemon lines cannot be caught unless for HM uses, held items, or trades - Cyndaquil, Spearow, Geodude, Staryu, Sentret, Chinchou, Bellsprout, and Abra. As such, they will not count towards your normal encounters either. See Rules 3 and 4 for more information.
3) Capture Clause: HM-only users and Dupes (Pokemon already captured before) are exempt from Rule 1. Pokemon can also be captured for held items or trades.
4) Trade Clause: Pokemon obtained in Trades count as encounters in their respective areas. If you trade Bellsprout for Onix in Violet and have no other encounters, Onix will count as the Violet encounter. However, you can capture Bellsprout in Route 30 even if they are banned or a second alternate encounter to trade with no issue.
5) Level Cap: Pokemon used vs Gyms/E4/Lance/Red cannot surpass the level of the highest-level Pokemon of the closest boss outside boss battle*.
6) Time Manipulation: There are no limits to manipulating DST settings or time to, say, capture certain Pokemon earlier or trigger rematches/items.
7) You Faint, You Die: Exactly what it says. If my entire party dies, the challenge is over.
8) No Non-Held Items in Battle: Poke Ball variants are allowed in wild battles, but that is it. No Full Restores, Revives, X-Items, Potions, etc.
9) Nickname Rule: Every Pokemon obtained must be nicknamed.
10) Set Mode: Exactly what it says.

Updates in following posts!

Last edited:
Chapter 1: The Winds of a New Beginning Blow

Encounters so far:

New Bark: Totodile
Route 29: N/A
Route 30: Pidgey
Route 31: Hoppip, Bellsprout (for trade only)
Route 46: Rattata
Dark Cave: Zubat (fainted)
Violet: Onix (traded Bellsprout)
Route 36: Growlithe (Roared away)
Route 32: Ekans
Union Cave: Sandshrew
Route 33: N/A
Azalea: N/A
Slowpoke Well: N/A
Ilex Forest: Weedle
Route 34: Egg (???)
Goldenrod: N/A
Route 35: Snubbull (KOed)

Not much to really speak about, until I got to Falkner's gym. Picked up Totodile and named him Spike, beat the Rival (and easily) with Leer and a couple Rages or so, captured a bunch of Pokemon and nicknamed them all - but only used Chester and Rocky (traded) as main party members.

Falkner: Spike Rage spammed to victory, even at L9 (but leveled up to L10 after). Held Berry helped, but Spike still fell to yellow by the end of it. Very few Pokemon can solo Falkner at L9 reliably, but Spike - as a Totodile - is clearly one of them. Thanks to the little gator, I have my first badge!

Picked up a Pink Bow from Tuscany of Tuesday. Equipped it to Spike for Rage!

Then it's back to Violet, to pick up an Egg from Professor Elm's aide (which I promptly boxed)...and do some training in Sprout Tower!

Between Spike and Chester (Pidgey), Sprout Tower wasn't too difficult. The higher level Bellsprouts did do a number on Spike, however. Vine Whips hurt - though none could OHKO or even 2HKO, and Chester OHKOed any of them with a Gust of wind pretty easily. Even the Elder wasn't too bad.

A 100 foot Bellsprout? Really? If Nintendo does remake Pokemon GSC again, you know they need to actually do something with that hype. We already have giant or extra-large Pokemon in other games. Johto is an amazing region with lots of lore, but some of it doesn't really go anywhere.

After that, I made the trek to Azalea Town for my next badge. On the way, I got to train Rocky the Onix quite a bit in Union Cave, teaching him Mud-Slap. While his Attack stat is dismal even for an early game Pokemon (and especially one that looks that hardcore), his Defense is fantastic - especially against the bevy of Normal-type attackers I saw so far - and Mud-Slap helped take down another Onix.

That said, he does act out a bit...

I managed to dodge the scary Hiker Anthony on the way out. Dude unironically ended Nuzlockes for me or killed Pokemon before. Taught Swift to Chester and handed him the Pink Bow from Spike, as he can do more with Normal-type moves now. Now it's time to beat Team Rocket...

Team Rocket was, suffice to say, a joke. Spike, Rocky, and Chester all nailed them. Rocky was a bit troublesome, but pretty much negged Koffing once he got going and was never in danger. Chester, meanwhile, tore through all enemies with a Pink Bow Swift or two, each.

Fun fact: Slowbro's shell thingy was supposed to be their own Pokemon, albeit in a separated form (Turbann). Legends say the purpose of the Slowpoketail item, technically available in-game but nigh unobtainable, was supposed to be how you evolved Shellder into Turbann.

For our troubles, we got a Lure Ball from a very appreciative Kurt. Then, I mowed down all trainers in the Azalea gym, but I decided I'd like to meet the level cap for Bugsy (and also make it easier on ourselves in the upcoming Rival battle), so I decided to go to Union Cave for a bit of training:

After OHKOing multiple Ground-types and at least 2HKOing some rats and bats, we were hopefully ready for Bugsy. Were we?

YES, we were!

I led with Chester. Rocky is too unruly, and I've heard horror stories of Bugsy winning because of it. Scyther has killed my Totodile in previous runs before. Best to try a different strategy - and thankfully, it did pay off big. Chester 3HKOed Scyther and 2HKOed-OHKOed the cocoons with Gust (I used Quick Attack on Scyther to finish him off, technically, just to be safe), taking very little damage from Tackles and Fury Cutters along the way.

The Hive Badge is ours - and Chester evolved into Pidgeotto! My first evolution yet!

Now, it's time to fight the Rival again in Azalea. Thankfully, Rocky should listen now, if needs be.

Ashton (my rival) was a piece of cake. Rocky took Gastly down in two Mud-Slaps, in spite of being put to sleep quickly. Once Bayleef came in, Chester came in to take him down in a few Gusts and to lol at Razor Leaf. Swapped back to Rocky again to crush Zubat and gain more EXP.

Before traversing Ilex Forest, I decide to stock up on Repels at the local mart, then make a quick backtrack to beat the turd out of someone.

Yep, this guy. Rocky destroys Geodude and Chester wipes Machop off the map. He asks for my number.

My response:

Anthony did not like that.

Then, I go through Ilex Forest and reunite a kid and a Farfetch'd. Interesting to note that Farfetch'd was supposed to originally evolve in Gen II, only to evolve literal and figurative generations later. Kinda sad, to be honest - they really deserved one earlier, but at least Sirfetch'd is great!

I pick up HM Cut from the kid's grateful boss, make a beeline back to Azalea for Charcoal (even though I have no Fire-types yet, I would definitely love to have one handy if I can acquire one, and I know I would like to - Entei, Magmar, Arcanine, or Flareon woud all be nice).

After going through Ilex properly this time, I obtain a mysterious Egg from the Daycare and try to skip trainers - partly to avoid being overleveled, and partly to make it easier to train any new Pokemon I do acquire (I did so in Route 32 too, albeit I failed to mention it properly).

Now THIS is quite a city! Probably one of my most favorite places in any Pokemon game ever. The mall, Radio Tower, the underground, a Bicycle store, rail station, a Gym, a flower store and so many houses...this place nearly has it all. I know it's based on a Japanese city, but thinking about all that it offers reminds me of NYC. I spent a few months there in undergrad on various summer academic programs (and internships). I loved how there was never a dull moment and almost always some place to go or travel, sometimes even for practically free and even late at night! This was like 2018-2019, but I also visited it with my mom last summer after attending commencement. So many good memories.

Anyway, time to get back to the game! I'm hoping to acquire a cool new Pokemon...

And it turns out I hit too hard?

To be fair, I don't think I really needed a Snubbull anyway, nor would have benefited from capturing one in other ways. Had more luck in the National Park, however:

After some training - but making sure to avoid the National Park trainers and only fought most the people around in other Routes - I returned to Goldenrod to slay a certain beast. After making short work of her trainers (did not fight one of them). Then, I readied my team for battle.

After some deliberation, I believe Chester is the best choice to lead the team. Decent enough Defenses, good speed, and solid enough Attack for taking Clefairy down. I cannot risk Rocky going down to a Metronome -> Hydro Pump or so. I gave Rocky a held Berry as insurance for the cow.

Two Swifts make quick work of Clefairy, but a crit Jump Kick does a fair bit of damage.

Then the cow comes in.

I swap to Rocky immediately, eating a Rollout for pathetic damage. Now, I assess the best course of action.

Knowing the cow will likely be locked into Rollout for a while that will get stronger and/or miss at one point, as well as has Milk Drink to offset most forms of damage, I decide to Screech her to make her easier to take down.

Even after one Screech, Miltank takes Dig quite well. That's some real bulk right there.

She Rollsout again, I Screech again. Hopefully now killing her should be easy.

Yeah, not really XD. She keeps getting pulled into red by Dig at -3 Defense or so, but keeps Milk Drinking up due to superior Speed.

Another Screech, maybe? I have a Berry, I can risk it...I think?

YES! (I don't even need a Berry.)

Whitney throws a fit, but one of her friends manages to convince her to stop crying and give me the Badge.

After that, I pick up a Squirtbottle from the flower store nearby, knock out some Slowpokes, and give Chester a haircut.

When trees attack...

Better run.

The tree does the same.

And with that, Day 1 comes to an end! So far, so good, and no deaths! My current team:

Spike the Croconaw (L20, M)
Rocky the Onix (L21, M)
Chester the Pidgeotto (L21, M)
Egg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)