Other Metagames [Pokebilities] King of the Dead

Tuthur

Haha CEO
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hello,

This month, Pokebilities has been chosen as OMotM and I used to be one of my favorite OM in SM. So I wanted to build a team in it; a stall team as it is what I ran last gen. There were some changes since last gen that changed quite a few things in comparison to what I ran. Mega-Sableye is gone, Big Pecks has been patched to not activate with Weak Armor (rip Mandibuzz), new Pokemon and Boots exist, and some stupid wallbreakers like Ursaring and Gumshoos are gone.

Teambuilding process
:clefable:
Clefable was the queen in SM Pokebilites with Unaware + Magic Guard making it hard to break through without using strong wallbreakers with super effective STAB moves or Choice items. Clefable also offers a lot with its movepool, so I can adapt its set to the rest of the team.

:clefable::quagsire:
I originally felt like Clefable could get overwhelmed as the sole Unaware user and that it would need something for Steel- and Poison-type attackers that get through Clefable. Also a Ground-type is a necessity in a metagame where Hustle Dracozolt and Analytic Magnezone are everywhere.

:clefable::quagsire::toxapex::reuniclus:
Now that setup was quite well handled, I needed some stuffs to play around VoltTurn, so I picked the two best Regenerator users in the tier. Their superior bulk also help taking stronger hits that Clefable and Quagsire couldn't handle from powerful attackers.

:clefable::quagsire::toxapex::reuniclus::corviknight:
Needed Defog + something that handles Cinccino, and well, a Steel-type is always awesome, same for a Ground-immunity. SS blessed us with Corviknight, so I had no reason to not use it, as unlike Skarmory and Celesteela it doesn't suck in Pokebilities.

:clefable::quagsire::toxapex::reuniclus::corviknight::weezing-galar:
I rounded off the team with Weezing-Galar whose ability is quite useful at shutting down very annoying Pokemon like Mienshao, Conkeldurr, and opposing Clefable.

:clefable::hippowdon::toxapex::reuniclus::corviknight::weezing-galar:
After a couple games, I realized Quagsire wasn't bulky enough to handle Dracozolt, as well as Arctozolt. Clefable seemed to work well as the sole Unaware user, so I removed Quagsire for the bulkier Hippowdon.

The team
:ss/clefable:
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell​

I prefer a full physically defensive Clefable to mixed one, even if it makes the Dragapult match-up a bit more iffy, since the specially defensive walls in the team are extremely solid and most setup users are physically based (mainly Hawlucha, Gyarados, Salamence). I chose a Calm Mind set as having a setup user is clutch versus other passive teams. Heal Bell is chosen because it is the only way I had with these 6 Pokemon to remove status, that said status aren't that powerful against that team due to having 2 Magic Guard (Clef and Reuniclus), 3 Toxic Immunities (Toxapex, Weezing, and Corviknight), one Ground-type (Hippowdon), a powder immunity (Reuniclus) and a Para immunity (Toxapex). So you aren't going to rely too much on Clefable to handle status.

:ss/hippowdon:
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Slack Off​

Just like in OU, the best Hippowdon is specially defensive. This leaves me open to Outrage Dracozolt, but it often means Zolt will trade itself with Clefable or Galarian Weezing revenge killing while it's locked. Sacrificing the Electric-immunity can be troublesome, however Reuniclus usually is enough to handle specially offensive ones if Hippowdon needs to be traded. As Clefable couldn't fit Stealth Rock, Hippowdon was the only remaining Pokemon with access to it. Toxic was chosen over Whirlwind as Toxapex packs Haze and it wasn't needed to have a third way to handle setup.

:ss/toxapex:
Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Toxic Spikes
- Haze​

It is a bit weird to see Rocky Helmet on a Specially Defensive Pokemon, however it allows Toxapex to punish Cinccino, meaning the team isn't completely rellying on Corviknight to handle it. Haze helps handling special setup, completing Unaware Clefable. Toxic Spikes help the team making progress, and with Hippowdon and Weezing packing Toxic, it wasn't needed to run a third Toxic user. Knock Off is Knock Off, removing items is crucial to make progress.

:ss/reuniclus:
Reuniclus (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psyshock
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Infestation​

Assault Vest Reuniclus is unkillable, it can tank every special hits thrown at its face, even from insane wallbreakers like Choice Specs Magnezone and Rain Critdra, and retaliate back with powerful Psychock and Focus Blast. Knock Off is once again Knock Off, it is extremely useful to make progress with such a passive team. Infestation lets trap very annoying threats that would try to reset momentum like Toxapex and opposing Reuniclus, while getting useful chips on switchins. Reuniclus helps with Volt Switch, not letting the team entirely rely on Hippowdon, absorbs Spore from Amoonguss and take powerful Future Sights. Default gender is set to female because of Rivalry Nidoking.

:ss/corviknight:
Corviknight @ Shed Shell
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost​

The OU set. Not much to say about it. Body Press helps with Bisharp, Zamazenta-C, Cinccino, Perrserker, and Weavile. Shed Shell is necessary due to how common Magnezone is.

:ss/weezing-galar:
Weezing-Galar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Strange Steam
- Corrosive Gas
- Pain Split
- Toxic​

Speed for Adamant Conkeldurr. Strange Steam lets it hit hard. Corrosive Gas removes items which is extremely useful, especially versus Marowak-Alola. Pain Split is the only form of recovery Galarian Weezing has. Toxic lets it pressure Calm Mind Clefable. Misty Surge is chosen as the ability as it makes it canceled by Neutralazing Gas, due to how proeminent Toxic and Toxic Spikes are for this team, Levitate was sacrificied for keeping the ability to spread status.

:ss/clefable::ss/hippowdon::ss/toxapex::ss/reuniclus::ss/corviknight::ss/weezing-galar:
(click on the above for export)

Threatlist
:slowbro:/:reuniclus:/:slowking: + :conkeldurr:/:mienshao:/:urshifu:
Future Sight is quite annoying due to the team having neither a Protect user nor a Dark-type. Reuniclus and Corviknight can often play around it, but when Future Sight is paired with very powerful attackers like Conkeldurr, it is very hard to handle it.

:cinccino:+:magnezone:
If Cinccino runs Knock Off (which it should), Toxapex and Corviknigh risk to lose their items, making the former unable to take on Tail Slap and making the latter susceptible to getting trapped by Magnezone.

:zamazenta-crowned:
Work Up Zamazenta is quite hard to handle due to being too bulky to be handled by most of the team. It can be played around with Toxapex Rocky Helmet + Haze, Hippowdon's Sand Force boosted Earthquake, and Corviknight's U-turn. However, it remains extremely tough to handle.

:xatu:
This team makes progress mainly through Toxic, Stealth Rock, item removal, and Sandstorm. Xatu invalidates the former two, hardwalls Hippowdon, and has reliable recovery, making a huge hinderance to this team.

:pelipper:+:kingdra:/:crawdaunt:
Crawdaunt is already known in standard tiers to be free versus stall teams, and it is no different here. Once Knocked Off Toxapex can play around it, however, it often requires to make a sack. Kingdra under Rain is very powerful, even if you manage to Knock Off its Scope Lens with Reuniclus or Toxapex, it keeps a high crit chance and its critical hits deal huge damage to Toxapex and Reuniclus under Rain.

:arctozolt:
While not as powerful and common as Dracozolt, Arctozolt is quite insane due to its ability to break through the team's two Electric-checks in Hippowdon and Reuniclus.

Proof of peak:
1641759525508.png

I am meUwUem and my friend Mimilucha laddered with a very similar team to even higher. I don't have any good replays as I found the skill level on the ladder to be underwhelming and didn't save any game.

edit: ironwater told me to add replays so I laddered a bit more and saved my 3 last games.
versus a very bad HO
sand balance 6-0ed by Tspikes
Rain w/o Kingdra

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)