Pokémon you had fun using in in-game runs

Quagsire in GSC for me. I picked up a Wooper because I needed a water type for my type and I've always loved the line and how derpy it is. I'm not gonna lie but as a Wooper things were pretty rough. As a Quagsire however, completely different story. This thing completely surpassed my expectations by pretty much single handedly taking on Lance's dargons thanks to ice punch. I just found the idea of a derpy primordial swamp monster taking on a team of dragons and prevailing hilariously satisfying and it made me fall in love with Quagsire even more.

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
there's some kid in oras (probably a youngster iirc) who says something along the lines of "my pokemon [a sandshrew] has a lot of pep! it's really peppy!". i caught a sandshrew soon after that & called him pepé (bc i'm really funny); had a spare teamslot so just kept him around & he really pulled his weight. sandslash is a lot better than i was expecting, & lil pepé really did himself proud, especially in the champion fight. not something i would've necessarily picked to use otherwise, but i had a lot of fun with him :psyglad:

Jumpluff was super fun in Colosseum, before I knew too much about stats and such. Paired with Entei in double battles, Jumpluff used Sleep Powder, Entei used Sunny Day, then they mowed down things with Solarbeam and sun-boosted Flamethrower.

It's only later that I realised that Jumpluff has 55 Special Attack... I never used it again, but it always held a special place in my heart.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Recently, I used Cloyster in Red/Blue, and got a ton of joy out of that. Clamp is really good in that gen, chipping away at enemies to get them in Surf/Blizzard range. Those three moves are so good that you can also run Ice Beam for a really powerful backup move to preserve PP. Aurora Beam is kinda weak but a good finisher move if Cloyster misses a KO, and allows you to save your Ice Beam TM for a teammate.

Last edited:
I had used a really fun game Platinum Team that I actually loosely preplanned w/ the best Greek themed nicknames. Infernape, Leafeon, Magnezone, Gyarados, Togekiss, and Mamoswine. The Platinum story was pretty easy except for Flint and Lucian who I reset on several times (don’t laugh) and the final Cyrus battle which I almost had to reset. Although I did reset on the Giratina battle because it struggled to death against bulky Magnezone. Cynthia’s battle I finished straight through. Mainly because Gyarados bulked a dragon rush then crit Ice Fang her Garchomp and I made some really solid plays with my other teammates.

I had separate team I just finished using replaying Black 2 that I bred and ev trained using Pokémon from previous games. Needless to say the game was super duper easy with a fully ev trained team from just after the first gym. Although I mainly used them for the PWT Doubles post game
Bulky Vaporeon, Volcarona, Togekiss (again)
T-Wave Tyranitar, Sand Rush Exacdrill, and Bulky Tangrowth
(If they’re any typos I blame my iPhone)

More recently, maybe 5 years ago, I used Cloyster in Red/Blue, and got a ton of joy out of that. Clamp is really good in that gen, chipping away at enemies to get them in Surf/Blizzard range. Those three moves are so good that you can also run Ice Beam for a really powerful backup move to preserve PP. Aurora Beam is kinda weak but a good finisher move if Cloyster misses a KO, and allows you to save your Ice Beam TM for a teammate.
I used RBY Cloyster recently.

Clamp + Toxic is sooooo cheap in-game.

Leech Seed + Toxic Venusaur in Pokemon Blue VC. Due to a glitch if a Pokemon has both effects on them, Leech Seed also increases in damage(and healing) every turn as well. kills most non-grass types while also never getting close to fainting.

The same team also a Beedrill (Just for the fun gimmick of Swords Dance+Twineedle Beedrill being the closest thing to being able to deal high amounts of Bug type damage in Gen 1, I found it actually rips through every Grass type that Venusaur couldn't Leech Seed, since every single one but Tangela has a x4 weakness to it in Gen I) and a Raticate(with the absence of False Swipe, Super Fang is the closest thing to it Gen I has). Neither are actually good, mind you, I just wanted to have some fun in the first new Gen I playthrough I had in years, and unlike in the past I was knowledgeable enough to use every exploit and glitch both in and out of battle for a very unique experience.

quite a few.

in my crystal nuzlocke, flareon was incredibly good. high special defense makes her hard to take down on the special side and although she doesn't learn any good fire-type moves anytime soon outside of the fire blast tm (which you can pick up at the game corner but need a lot of money to get, money you won't have until after clearing the team rocket base in mahogany and the glitter lighthouse) can hit plenty hard with normal-type attacks and shadow ball given that badge and type boosts are a thing in this game. pair all that with a 130 base attack, and flareon can easily crush most ingame opponents with headbutt/return + shadow ball alone. later on, sunny day + fire blast + high attack allows her to crush jasmine, pryce, and clair's dragonairs and do well against will, koga, and karen. i unfortunately lost the nuzlocke at like misty while trying to train some new pokemon...

magneton is also pretty dank as i found out in my recent playthrough - l30 isn't too late even for johto (at least not if you use a 4-mon team) and their thunders are pretty strong and the accuracy can be fixed with lock-on initially before you get rain dance. even before you get thunder, thundershock's powerful enough to crush things that don't resist it in one or two hits, and rollout isn't too bad on this guy against certain opponents either. thunder wave is a very cool move to use against guys like lance who can outlevel you at times with his dragonites but not all that reliably kill you and while the lack of coverage is annoying, thunder's sheer power, thunder wave, and magneton's high defenses allow him to contribute in many a battle.

trade fearow is an absolute monster. even tm swift is good enough to carry through the mid game for crushing neutral opponents, though you can upgrade to return by the late game or even earlier if you're willing to invest in haircuts and x-item spam (though giving him protein and carbos you find in areas also help plenty). return hits like a downright truck by the time you fight clair, even with maybe only one haircut to his name and only using protein or carbos found outdoors and not bought from the mart. my fearow one-shot her dragonairs with a single return each and - believe it or not - one-shot her kingdra too albeit with a critical hit. the fact they level up so fast also make them a huge boon for ingame teams. normal and flying type stab are no joke in gsc, given the badge and type boosts as well as the availability of at least good normal-type tms early on.

female chikorita can also be a surprisingly awesome user of attract + screens, even being able to roll over male opponents whom you'd have a much harder time beating like lance (watch out for the charizard, though). chikorita also can do surprisingly well against falkner and whitney in spite of their typing, with falkner reflect + razor leaf is all you basically need and with whitney you want to use a mud-slap + reflect strategy to make sure she can't build up rollout against you and kill you with it. i've also heard that using reflect can bait bugsy's scyther into uselessly spamming leer, which i have yet to test but could be a great thing for a pokemon that otherwise is considered the runt of the litter as far as starters go.

in ultra moon, i loved popplio from beginning to end. easily one of the best starters in the history of the franchise and has a great level-up movepool. the trade hawlucha is the best for me though given how high their stats are and how awesome their movepool is for how early they appear in the game, and the fact they can destroy the dark-type alolan raticate as well as make quick use of the z-crystals for fighting and flying is nothing short of incredible. hawlucha is basically usum's answer to gsc/hgss spearow, a bird pokemon you get early that is dope and stays dope.

in oras, i had a lot of fun with the cosplay pikachu and lileep/cradily. with a light ball active, pikachu could one-shot opposing mons so easy it wasn't even funny, and pikachu even ended up surviving my nuzlocke of omega ruby somehow and contributing against steven of all people. even before the light ball, electric + ice coverage is really neat and can power through many ingame opponents and electro ball can hit even magnemites hard. i actually soloed wattson frequently using pikachu's lightning rod and electro ball - doesn't hurt they're one of my favorites. lileep's grass/rock typing is crazy underrated and they have a lot of bulk as well as the ability to setup sweep teams with growth, regen with giga drain...you name it.

Miltank's base stats are crazy in GSC, so feels really good in my current run.
i need to use miltank lol, i've never used her before but she's tiered pretty highly in the gsc ingame tier list. could you tell me more about her?

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I just finished my second full playthrough of White 2, at least the main story before the post-game, that is, and I still love the game as much as I did back in 2013, it's such a great game. But anyway, I used a loot of mons for my White 2 playthrough, but one of the most out of the box ones I decided to try out for fun is this little machine of gears we call Klinklang, which I of course caught as a Klink in Chargestone Cave and spent a lot of the playthrough raising it alongside my many other mons.

This thing is one of the most overlooked Pokemon in Unova, partially because it's a bunch of gears which some people were turned away from, the other partially because it doesn't strike as immediately awesome to use like the other Chargestone Cave mons: compared to Galvantula's Compound Eyes Thunder, Ferrothorn's god tier bulk and Curse+Gyro Ball hitting like a truck, or Eelektross's wide movepool, Klinklang has a fairly barren movepool. However, like its fellow Chargestone Cave brethren, Klinklang does fortunately have a unique battle gimmick of its own that is fun: Shift Gear! A Dragon Dance amplified, with Klinklang boosting its Attack and sharply boosting its Speed in one turn. Unfortunately, this didn't come until very late in the game, but that aside.

I found this mon to be surprisingly fun to use. While it doesn't get its Shift Gear gimmick until very late in the game at Level 54, it proved itself a surprisingly valuable member of my team. As a Klink, it was pretty weak, but its Steel typing still came in handy at times, and as Klang, it was also a pretty decent Pokemon, and its Dragon resistance came in handy at Opelucid. Aside from its STAB Gear Grind, it could weaken the opponent's Defense with Screech and then hit hard with Gear Grind, or another thing is that Klink or Klang could also act as a pseudo Electric-type with its Electric moves in ThunderShock, Charge Beam, and later Discharge, which meant I could use it to pick off Flying and Water-types with a Discharge every now and then.

But it is once Klang evolved into Klinklang that it really hit its stride. Even though it still had to wait five levels to get Shift Gear, it was such a useful mon and I was pleasantly surprised. The big thing about it is that its Steel type, combined with its usable bulk on both sides, especially physical, made it incredibly useful with its many resistances while it could hit back with either Gear Grind or Discharge, and it proved useful against a myriad of opponents during the Team Plasma takedown, especially Zinzolin and his Ice-types, which Klinklang could single handedly take on and wall, and later on, it proved its usefulness against Ghetsis really well: first walling Cofagrigus, not giving a damn about Toxic at all, and I wore it down with Metal Sound+Discharge to pick on its weaker special bulk, and later on it also completely walled Ghetsis's Hydreigon, taking its onslaught of LO boosted physical attacks while retaliating with Gear Grind to wear it down.

I eventually did manage to get Klinklang to Level 54 and above during Victory Road, and from there it really proved a valuable member of my team for the endgame. I also grabbed the Wild Charge TM there and that helped a lot, and gave it Magnet Rise from the Move Tutors. It managed to set up on and defeat a few of the E4's mons such as Shauntal's Drifblim, Grimsley's Liepard, and it could also use Caitlin's Sigilyph as setup bait though I didn't need to since my Krookodile was wiping the floor with Caitlin anyway. It was the biggest and most clutch member of my team against Iris, however, and it managed to cleanly sweep half of her team once she was down to Archeops, Haxorus, and Lapras. I used Archeops as setup, then swept by KOing Archeops with Gear Grind, using Magnet Rise on Haxorus so it couldn't hit Klinklang with Earthquake, then 2HKOing with Gear Grind (great thing is if I had boosted a bit more, it would've bypassed the Focus Sash and KOed Haxorus cleanly), and then KOing Lapras with Wild Charge. It ended up being a great endgame member and raising it from humble little Klink was very much worth it.

I'm only beginning the post-game, but I fully expect Klinklang to continue being a fun sweeper for the post-game portion.

Some of my bois:

XD: I LOVE using Breloom. I was never patient enough to get spore, but I would usually run Stun Spore, Seismic Toss, Mach Punch, and Mega/Giga Drain. He was my go-to Pokémon snagger and absolute chad. Flygon is also one of my favorites of all time. I used one in Colosseum as well, and the combination of Levitate, STAB Earthquake, Steel Wing, and Dragonbreath is super nasty. When I don’t use Breloom, I fiend Jumpluff. He’s much more passive than his mushroom brother, but having the fastest sleeper in the game is nothing to joke with. He soloed many a team in his day. Umbreon is also a fave, cause he can just tank pretty much anything.

S/M: I freaking love Pyukumuku (hence my name). My boi Larry knew Counter, Toxic, Soak, and Recover, but his secret move was using Fightinium Z for a surprise (though weak) All-Out Pummeling to finish off his prey. What a guy. I also really liked Oricorio. It’s a fast Flying type with some useful utility and high bp moves that can carry it through the early game, and Electric Revelation Dance can hit really hard. Ribombee was another favorite of mine, even though Mina’s Totem Ribombee in USUM traumatized me (I swear, Whitney’s Miltank has nothing on that thing). I also adored Araquanid, and used many of those bad boys. Water Bubble boosted anything is insane, especially early-game. On the same vein, I really liked Wishiwashi. Ever since that first Totem fight, he enamored me and has been a constant presence on my teams.

XY: Surprisingly, Victreebel. I was on one of the last routes before the Pokémon League when I encountered a shiny Weepinbell. This was my first natural shiny ever. I named him Sparkles and he was garbage but I loved him anyway. Heliolisk was often on my teams, as a very good pivot and fast attacker with wide coverage. Klefki will always be my favorite little key ring that sweeps Drasna, sets up Spikes on Vikstrom and Siebold, and taught me the real meaning of what a utility Pimeln

ORAS: I ended up building a Rain team around Kyogre and Mega Swampert. Two of its unlikely supplements were Castform and Plusle. Castform, though notoriously fickle in battle, can be a beast if given proper environment and absolutely rocks the Contests. Plusle, well, I have no idea why I kept him. He wasn’t anything crazy, and just had Thunder, Hidden Power (forgot the type, maybe ice?), Grass Knot, and Volt Switch. Somehow, he captured my heart, and trust me, there is nothing like watching Steven Stone struggle before a lvl 100 cheerleader bunny. He was my first level 100, and I couldn’t be more proud. I also used a Wobbuffet on another team (or it may have been XY), which wasn’t half bad.

DP- Roserade is an absolute monster. Don’t let her rosy facade fool you, she will tie you up in Grass Knots, suck your soul out with Giga Drains, show you her toxic personality with Sludge Bomb, and generally shit on anything and anyone in her path. Do not approach. She can and will mess you up.

GS- I used a Heracross that was a surprisingly good teammate, despite its utter lack of viable STAB. Between Earthquake, Fury Cutter, Strength, and Rock Smash, this beastly bug somehow swept most of Will and all of Karen.

PLA: I ended up using an alpha Pachirisu that I caught at high level for a good portion of the game. With Quick Attack, Crunch, Spark and Twave, she was a speed demon that could annihilate a surprising number of foes.

In any game possible (usually alpha sapphire) I will use Shedinja. He is just one of my absolute favorite Pokémon to build an in-game team around.

There are my boys. Go enjoy them; they’re worth it!

Having gotten a first-clear of Platinum and currently sitting at Stark Mountain putting way too much effort into the two boss fights I'll have zero trouble with, the MVPs of my squad:

You click Return and something dies. Plus Intimidate so you don't die back!

You click High Jump Kick and something dies. (And sometimes that something is you.)

You click Earthquake and something dies. And since when was this thing so damn bulky?

in Pokemon Red
Basically: Psychic is a broken typing, a broken move and having it on two very fast very powerful Pokemon means you're sweeping the game with ease. And this was a team with Venusaur, Nidoking, Vaporeon and Zapdos! Yet these two were the best among them. Alakazam is the most broken Pokemon I've ever used in a Pokemon game - I had one before Misty, with STAB 50BP Confusion destroying every trainer in sight and then it gets Psychic by the mid-late game and crushes even more. TMs? Who needs TMs? Psychic goes brrr. Gengar likes TMs though, like TM Psychic, Giga Drain and Thunderbolt! Ghost typing has no STAB, but it's immune to Normal and Fighting which are the most common move types in the game I'm pretty sure (at least Normal is). They're nuts, I love it.

in Pokemon Crystal
This one is a weird one, because Dunsparce as a Pokemon isn't that good. I made it work with a moveset of Glare / Screech / Dig / Strength but it wasn't doing an awful lot by the end-game, although I don't think it was the worst Pokemon on that team. The story of why I even used it is what made it fun to use! I was in my final year of university, and I had planned to use Ursaring on my Crystal team. Teddiursa is obtainable in Dark Cave in the mornings, at a 5% encounter rate (and a chance to flee randomly, dick move developers). I was struggling to find one and my roommate (also a Pokemon fan) joked that I should use Dunsparce if I found one. Next encounter was Darren the Dunsparce, who became my third team member after Totodile and Phanpy. It beat Falkner, Bugsy and Whitney without major issue, and contributed throughout the game at several points to help beat key opponents like Clair, Lance and Red! Dunsparce became a meme in my uni house and a meme in my heart, but we adore Darren all the same.

:sm/beautifly: in Brilliant Diamond

Who wins?
> The most competent Elite Four in the franchise
> A dancing boi

Were it not for the fact I didn't want to, with the help of the odd item or two, Beautifly could have soloed the entire Elite Four bar Flint. Without overleveling, mind you.

For some reason, the AI starts making stupid decisions once you start to accumulate boosts. Cynthia's Spiritomb and Milotic started spamming Sucker Punch and Mirror Coat even though that would not help in any way or form.

:bw/shuckle: in Black 2

I think it's not a coincidence that the Pokémon that break the AI tend to be the most fun to use. Iris's Haxorus (and, for that matter, pretty much everything else) is not so threatening when it gets Power Split in Turn 1.

For some reason, the AI starts making stupid decisions once you start to accumulate boosts. Cynthia's Spiritomb and Milotic started spamming Sucker Punch and Mirror Coat even though that would not help in any way or form.
I think I can answer this. The AI will prioritize whatever attack can deal the most damage, but hasn't really figured out how to deal with conditional damage. Since both Spiritomb and Milotic are purely special attackers outside of Sucker Punch and Mirror Coat (and milotic's recover, but that doesn't exactly stop setup either), they see highly boosted SDef and decide to use their physical or flat damage moves. This is why I consider Cynthia a step down from the rest of the E4 in quality: too many redundant attacks over potentially more useful and certainly more interesting status moves.

:ss/slowbro-galar:
Meet DrawClaw, the MVP of my most recent Sword team (at least after I got the Rotom Bike upgrade). I knew Quick Draw could come in handy, but add a Quick Claw and you can basically attack first about 75% of the time. And with parallel 100 Attacking stats, decent bulk, and a large movepool, it can still take a licking and keep on ticking even when neither "quick" thing activates.

Nockchan

I traded an EV-Trained Hitmonchan into Diamond because lazy. It's fun hitting almost everything for at least neutral damage especially with the Iron Fist boost to Mach Punch, Ice Punch and ThunderPunch. Last move was Rock Climb btw.
Considering to use Darkrai or Shaymin in my next run, but gotta catch them normally and not EV train them like Hitmonchan. Looking forward to see if they are fun and as good as I imagine them to be.
Maybe I won't need any of the annoying Stables Diamond and Pearl force you to use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)