Pokémon X & Y In-game Tier List Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
MikeAU Has some personal experience with Barboach ;)

A lot of the mons which are up now are late game, so their ranking is negatively effected by that.

After using Sylveon, I agree with its C ranking. Mine had Pixelate thanks to Mike, and that made it bearable. Moon Blast is late, which leaves you with Swift as your best move for a decent chunk of the early game. Vaporeon is similar, but imo has a much better early game (though I cant remember where you get a Water Stone).

Of the above: I agree with most of those. Mega Gengar comes in Laverre, and then will likely obliterate the whole latter half of the game.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

A lot of the mons which are up now are late game, so their ranking is negatively effected by that.

After using Sylveon, I agree with its C ranking. Mine had Pixelate thanks to Mike, and that made it bearable. Moon Blast is late, which leaves you with Swift as your best move for a decent chunk of the early game. Vaporeon is similar, but imo has a much better early game (though I cant remember where you get a Water Stone).

Of the above: I agree with most of those. Mega Gengar comes in Laverre, and then will likely obliterate the whole latter half of the game.
You buy it from the stone shop in Lumiose.

Vaporeon gets Auraora Beam super early and Surf shorty after (you get Eevee before Geosenge and Surf after Korrina). It's also super bulky by in-game standards with 130/60ish/90 defenses while still having good offensive presence, meaning you can actually use it against Grass-leader guy and Clemont to an extent without it being deadweight.

http://media.giphy.com/media/Ze6JOluIdilZC/giphy.gif
http://38.media.tumblr.com/df1e20247e361be1e9a12353fd91fcd7/tumblr_n8cycsxGDO1qcs3sko1_500.gif

In all seriousness, it is a HORRIBLE pokemon to use through an XY run-through. It's moves came in handy here and there but until it evolves, it was painful. IIRC, its base stats near double when it evolves. I'd be thinking a very low tier, however whiscash, slightly higher

Last edited by a moderator:

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Updated list live.

Still looking for input on C or D for Lombre.

In the meantime, the last 20 mons:

Aron (X): N/A -> D-Tier (Or Lairon. Comes lategame but it has some utility Gym 8 and the Elite Four, probably decent enough to warrant a D)
Bergmite: N/A -> D-Tier (Ehhh looks textbook D at a glance. Walls everything physically but crumbles specially idk)
Cubchoo: N/A -> D-Tier (No idea seemed like a good fit (i.e. Beartic))
Dratini: N/A -> E-Tier (Or Dragonair. Endgame mon, could do much in the E4 but generally will not be doing much)
Druddigon: N/A -> E-Tier (Slow, endgame mon, not much to offer)
Electrode: N/A -> E-Tier (Its speed is its only redeeming quality since at this stage of the game, it hits like a wet paper bag outside of boom)
Heatmor: N/A -> D-Tier (Comes a bit too late but it has a good eighth gym and can do well against Wilkstrom)
Larvitar (Y): N/A -> E-Tier (Or Pupitar. Comes too late, evolves too late, Tyranitar's ability hinders the team, but a decent Malva option)
Litwick: N/A -> D-Tier (Late Chandelure sucks but Chandy is quite decent, handily mauling the last gym for example)
Magneton: N/A -> C-Tier (Conservative ranking but it does look like that Magneton is a solid lategame option I agree. I am a bit hesitant to put it in B though)
Piloswine: N/A -> D-Tier (Just seems like a good fit there I suppose lol)
Sandslash: N/A -> E-Tier (Too late to do much, okay against half of the E4 though so it could be a D)
Scyther (w/ Trade): N/A -> E-Tier (Endgame, not much different to Scyther, I will probably just merge the two)
Skarmory: N/A -> E-Tier (Endgame mon, does not offer much, definite E)
Smoochum: N/A -> D-Tier (Discussed before looks like a textbook D to me (i.e. Jynx))
Sneasel: N/A -> E-Tier (No Weavile until post-game but it seems like a decent gym seven mon)
Snover: N/A -> D-Tier (Get Abomasnow, whee Mega Evolution but speed, typing and Snow Warning can work against it)
Torkoal: N/A -> E-Tier (Decent Gym 8 option but it comes too late to do much otherwise)
Trubbish: N/A -> E-Tier (Does not look like it can do much)
Zoroark: N/A -> E-Tier (Illusion is fun to play with but it comes too late to be of much assistance)

All we need to do is tier the above and Lombre and everything will be tiered (and write-ups can start, probably in a new thread due to post sizes).

Also considering dropping Noibat to E. Any opinions on that?

Cheers!
Its_A_Random

Tomy

I COULD BE BANNED!
Magneton is a very good mon. I'd say B-tier. It comes a bit late but it has only 1 bad match-up, which is Malva. With Eviolite, this think is bulky as hell, has good Sp.Atk, and incredible typing.

I'm quite on the fence between D and E tier for Zoroark. Illusion is quite fun, it literally destroys Wulfric (Flamethrower vs Abomasnow and Avalugg, physical attack like low Kick vs Cryogonal and you're done). makes Wilkstrom a casuality for the same reasons, has Grass Knot against Siebold, and isn't a deadweight by any mean vs the others Elite 4. It learns Nasty Plot for the Elite 4. I understand the E-tier suggestion because it comes really late, but D-tier seems acceptable as its performance is actually quite good, with a very high speed and good offenses.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
HM slave abilities aren't considered for in-game tier lists.
Mostly False (HM Slave abilities can count though it usually counts little relative to battling ability). Farfetch'd in RB for example is rated high in the tier list because of Cut + Fly alongside the fact that it does have some utility ingame. DP Bidoof is probably the best example of something being tiered highly based on HM Slavery. XY Bidoof is kinda in the same boat as RB Farfetch'd though its utility as an attacker is usually restricted to early-game.

Still, the idea that HM Slaves count for nothing in an in-game tier list is kinda false. At least XY Bidoof is currently C-Tier and not say, A-Tier.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Avalugg was pretty solid and became an absolute crutch point for my team. But it does come pretty late (although you do get Avalugg instantly). Holds its own in the final gym (against the other Ice Types) But can't really do anything past that. Unfavourable matchups to most of the E4 do not help the situation. I'd agree with D.

Pretty much agree with your theorymons on everything else. Whats left comes so late that it isnt really of consequence. Especially the things after the 8th gym...

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Let us wrap this up.

Aron (X): N/A -> D-Tier
Bergmite: N/A -> D-Tier
Cubchoo: N/A -> D-Tier
Dratini: N/A -> E-Tier
Druddigon: N/A -> E-Tier
Electrode: N/A -> E-Tier
Heatmor: N/A -> D-Tier
Larvitar (Y): N/A -> E-Tier
Litwick: N/A -> D-Tier
Lombre: N/A -> D-Tier (No new arguments to convince me to go with C-Tier)
Magneton: N/A -> B-Tier (Yeah okay)
Noibat: D-Tier -> E-Tier (Sucks)
Piloswine: N/A -> D-Tier
Sandslash: N/A -> E-Tier
Scyther (w/ Trade): N/A -> E-Tier
Skarmory: N/A -> E-Tier
Smoochum: N/A -> D-Tier
Sneasel: N/A -> E-Tier
Snover: N/A -> D-Tier
Torkoal: N/A -> E-Tier
Trubbish: N/A -> E-Tier
Zoroark: N/A -> E-Tier (Not fully sold on D-Tier)

Like before, all tierings are provisional until this tier list is sent to C&C. If you disagree with the tiering of something in some tier, do not be afraid to speak up & say why something should be lower or higher; it will be considered. It also means you are still welcome to nominate something tiered for another tier or validate its tiering.

So that is everything for now. I have merged everything that feels merge-worthy and if you have any final arguments for anything, please say now before I start up write-ups in a new thread (So I can split the OP up over several posts due to character limits).

Cheers!
Its_A_Random

EDIT: Updates are live, I will probably open a new thread in 24-48 hours depending on discussion I guess?

DOUBLE EDIT: Some stats:

S-Tier: 5 Pokémon*
A-Tier: 8 Pokémon*
B-Tier: 24 Pokémon*
C-Tier: 38 Pokémon*
D-Tier: 85 Pokémon*
E-Tier: 71 Pokémon*
F-Tier: 14 Pokémon*
Total Number: 245 Pokémon*

Some trivia I guess to justify a new thread I guess?

*: Estimate

TRIPLE EDIT: I have done a write up of Charmander's Pokémon Y entry as an example of the writing I will probably want to see in write-ups. It could be a bit more concise but it is short enough to give you the idea of what I am looking for.

Last edited:

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Okay new thread time. I guess this can be locked when I am ready?

EDIT: A Moderator can lock this now thank you. Oh, and the new thread is here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)