Programming Pokémon Showdown Randbats Tooltip

Maxouille

Gastrodon east sea <3
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
can we get an extension for Edge as well?
You can install extensions from the chrome store on edge as well since both are chromium based now. You might just need to enable smth like "allow Chrome store installation in edge settings". Nice name btw

Last edited:

Maxouille

Gastrodon east sea <3
Maxouille MarcoSupper

Damage Calculation doesn't seem to work on gen 01 and 02.

Can you configure it to work on these 2 gens? I believe a calc on gen 1 would be the most accurate of the eight gens as it has no item and ability.
Fixed, the code was checking if the opposing pokemon has levitate but since abilties dont exist in gen1 and 2 it crashed each time before a calculation, here is the updated index.js it should be also up to date on chrome store in the next few days.

Attachments

Asking to pre to update the first post of this thread since there is now a version of the tool on google chrome. Many people will think that it doesn't exist yet because they will only orient themselves based on the first post.

I expect that someone else could try to upload the tooltip with a different name ("Showdown Randbats Tooltip"?)
Maxouille did this (Showdown Randbats Tooltip): https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokémon-showdown-randbats-tooltip.3686306/post-9274142

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...ooltip/ipfdjoljmkcfabfppnclebjgbehjemch?hl=en

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Community Leader
done, see https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...ooltip/ipfdjoljmkcfabfppnclebjgbehjemch?hl=en. I also added MarcoSupper improvements. I'm just not sure how I feel about typecharts.
First of all, thank you for your work, this is a greatly appreciated tool for the randbats community, specially for people trying to get into more competitive randbats enviroments.

Regarding the typechart, I do agree it can be a little too much, giving even most casual players know it or learn it pretty quick.

Things it doesn't account for:
Own pokemons ability
Enemy pokemons ability
Enemy pokemons item
"Special" Attacks (Attacks that don't have a fixed Basepower (ex.: Lowkick), use other stats (ex.: Body Press) or have fixed values(ex.: Seismic Toss))
Psyshock works correctly and is the only exeption to the before mentioned "Special" Attacks
Regarding Marco's damage rolls, can I suggest making them toggleable or even not really there until/unless they are correctly calculated? They can really be confusing, specially if the Tooltip description doesn't come with a warning about its limitations.

Can you add the ability to see your own Pokémon's weakness?
Seconded. It's only possible to see their weaknesses by hovering over their little sprites under one's avatar. This is an issue because they only appear there after they've been sent out and revealed in battle.

pre

pkmn.cc
I will be releasing v1.3.0 sometime over the next few weeks with support for Generation 9 - if you have installed the extension manually from source you'll have to check the release page periodically to figure out when it drops. In the meantime I've updated the tooltip to include computed statistics for how likely various Ability / Item / Move options are in release v1.2.0:

Asking to pre to update the first post of this thread since there is now a version of the tool on google chrome. Many people will think that it doesn't exist yet because they will only orient themselves based on the first post.
There have been several extensions linked in this thread by various users - that's cool to see, but I will not be linking to them from my OP because I do not own the code and want to make it clear that I only take responsibility for my versions of the extension (which still works and is being updated, you just need to install it manually).

At least Wishiwashi formes seem to be bugged on stats at least some of the time, not sure if it's just replays.
Thanks for the bug report - I think I fixed this in v1.1.2.

Can you add the ability to see your own Pokémon's weakness?
Seconded. It's only possible to see their weaknesses by hovering over their little sprites under one's avatar. This is an issue because they only appear there after they've been sent out and revealed in battle.
No. These feature requests are unrelated to random battles and are instead feature requests for Pokémon Showdown. The randbats tooltip extends the default Pokémon Showdown one, so if Pokémon Showdown decides to add this feature the randbats tooltip will get it for free.

Last edited:

pre

pkmn.cc
Pokémon Showdown Randbats Tooltip v1.3.0

Support has been added for the brand new "[Gen 9] Random Battle" format. In the new format, instead of having a single set of options like in past formats, Pokémon can now have one or more roles which each have their own set options. The tooltip will show the global set information initially, but as the battle progresses and more information is revealed that the tooltip can use to narrow down a Pokémon's role the set information should get more precise.
Thank you to everyone who helped beta test, in particular lighthouse64.

---

Users who missed v1.2.0 which added computed statistics might have questions about what the percentages mean - the percentages correspond to how often Pokémon will have that option in practice (and if that percentage is 100% the percentage will be elided). Note, however, that these percentages will only update if information revealed in battle cause the set options themselves to change (i.e. due to a forme change or due to a Pokémon's "role" being detected) - you should always look at the top half of the tooltip provided directly from Pokémon Showdown to track revealed information, the statistics always reflect the general case (and may add up to slightly more or less than 100% due to rounding off the values for display purposes).

*The Chrome version was allowed to be republished with all trademarked intellectual property removed (and as such is called the "Showdown Randbats Tooltip"), though may get DMCAed again in the future - sadly, downloading the manually installing latest release directly is the only guaranteed way to ensure the extension will not get yeeted by lawyers, though makes updates trickier).

Last edited:
Pokémon Showdown Randbats Tooltip v1.3.0

Support has been added for the brand new "[Gen 9] Random Battle" format. In the new format, instead of having a single set of options like in past formats, Pokémon can now have one or more roles which each have their own set options. The tooltip will show the global set information initially, but as the battle progresses and more information is revealed that the tooltip can use to narrow down a Pokémon's role the set information should get more precise.
Thank you to everyone who helped beta test, in particular lighthouse64.

---

Users who missed v1.2.0 which added computed statistics might have questions about what the percentages mean - the percentages correspond to how often Pokémon will have that option in practice (and if that percentage is 100% the percentage will be elided). Note, however, that these percentages will only update if information revealed in battle cause the set options themselves to change (i.e. due to a forme change or due to a Pokémon's "role" being detected) - you should always look at the top half of the tooltip provided directly from Pokémon Showdown to track revealed information, the statistics always reflect the general case (and may add up to slightly more or less than 100% due to rounding off the values for display purposes).

*I've attempted to resubmit a modified version of the tooltip extension to Chrome with all trademarked intellectual property removed (and as such it will be called the "Showdown Randbats Tooltip" if it does get approved), though the Chrome extension approval process is fairly slow and even if approved it may get DMCAed again in the future - sadly, downloading the manually installing latest release directly is the only guaranteed way to ensure the extension will not get yeeted by lawyers, though makes updates trickier).
Awesome! Thank you very much!

By The Way, a suggestion I thought of: taking the image above as an example, what if the highlight in red (movements that have a 100% chance of being in the set) already appeared by default in the place where I highlighted in blue even before the pokémons used these moves? Because they are 100% confirmed, right? Would suffice to put something like Swords Dance (32/32) and Wood Hammer (24/24).

pre

pkmn.cc
Chrome has decided to approve the republished extension which is great, as it will make it much easier for those who want to have their extension auto update after official releases!

By The Way, a suggestion I thought of: taking the image above as an example, what if the highlight in red (movements that have a 100% chance of being in the set) already appeared by default in the place where I highlighted in blue even before the pokémons used these moves? Because they are 100% confirmed, right? Would suffice to put something like Swords Dance (32/32) and Wood Hammer (24/24).
wtherockb opened a PR a while back for this (thanks!) and my reasoning for not including it still holds (the existing tooltip aims to do one relatively simple thing well, not many complicated things that are mostly correct but sometimes subtly wrong and which some people might not want). This sort of feature is deemed out of scope for the tooltips I own and publish, though there are a variety of alternative extensions that have proliferated in the ecosystem and they are welcome to include this functionality.

Maybe it's just here, but I don't think so since it's working on other pokemons. The extension did not show Zoroark-Hisui's information even though the Zoroark was exposed. Since the extension also works on replays, I'll leave the replay here (it didn't work on replay either): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9randombattle-1744866388
Thank you for reporting this, and especially for including a replay link! This has been fixed in v1.3.1 (which should also be available in the Firefox and Chrome stores whenever they get around to reviewing it).

I'm not sure if this is where I should be reporting bugs, but I'm not sure where else to report them.

the extension keeps outputting insanely high damage calcs for things that absolutely shouldn't be doing that much damage.
1674010830637.png
1674010863091.png

usually happens after doing one random battle, it does happen consistently through a battle, but sometimes it just works normally? super bizarre.

Maxouille

Gastrodon east sea <3
I'm not sure if this is where I should be reporting bugs, but I'm not sure where else to report them.

the extension keeps outputting insanely high damage calcs for things that absolutely shouldn't be doing that much damage.View attachment 484870View attachment 484871
usually happens after doing one random battle, it does happen consistently through a battle, but sometimes it just works normally? super bizarre.
Yeah it's experimental use the show dex if you want proper calcs i will update this after the entrance exam, this summer.

pre

pkmn.cc
In the future, please refrain from reporting bugs in this thread for extensions not linked in the OP (perhaps reach out to the respective authors directly).

Gen 1 special stats get calced as if the Pokémon has its modern base special attack as its base special
Thanks for reporting! This actually affected all instances where stats differ from the current generation (ie. including the various gens were Pokémon were buffed or nerfed). This was fixed in v1.4.1.

Hey. I don't understand why the extension seems to have stopped working on certain Pokemons.
Due to Pokémon Showdown's release process, the information in the tooltip can be stale for up to an hour if changes to the Random Battle team generation logic are hotpatched immediately after being committed. This should rarely be consequential in practice, though may explain any discrepancies that may crop up. Before reporting any bugs related to the possible set options, please confirm that you are not simply dealing with this stale data scenario.
The tooltip will not show you potentially stale information in situations where it knows its data does not match the simulator. However, the problem here was actually the opposite of the scenario described in the OP - yesterday it wasn't the tooltip's data which was stale but instead Pokémon Showdown's, as the changes to sets were not hotpatched on the simulator until many hours after the data was updated.

The Chrome extension is truly amazing and it has saved me a lot of time going through the damage calculator manually. It's so bloody convenient.

However, I felt like the Firefox counterpart is not as rich, most notably the damage calc part is missing. Is there any way of porting the Chrome extension to Firefox as well?

Kudos to all the devs.

Maxouille

Gastrodon east sea <3
The Chrome extension is truly amazing and it has saved me a lot of time Going through the damage calculator manually. It's so bloody convenient.

However, I felt like the Firefox counterpart is not as rich, most notably the damage calc part is missing. Is there any way of porting the Chrome extension to Firefox as well?

Kudos to all the devs.
This is not the lastest version please refer to the first op post. If you want the active calc feature go for the ShowDex Pre does not do that here for now.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/showdown-randbats-tooltip/cheogdcgfjpolnpnjijnjccjljjclplg

Last edited:
Reactions: pre

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)