Programming Pokémon Showdown Randbats Tooltip

Hi

When I use this extension it makes hovering over any pokemon not have a pop up with its type, speed range, possible ability etc.
The extension does adds the damage calculator for the move pop up but it's not exactly worth it when I can't see who in my team outspeeds who.

Anyone know why this would be the case?

chrome_RyhdNfcPFE.png
chrome_Sa4ocJVsom.png
chrome_UAHY0jCsm2.png
chrome_qgnbYAYRjr.png

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Hi

When I use this extension it makes hovering over any pokemon not have a pop up with its type, speed range, possible ability etc.
The extension does adds the damage calculator for the move pop up but it's not exactly worth it when I can't see who in my team outspeeds who.

Anyone know why this would be the case?

View attachment 536461View attachment 536462View attachment 536463View attachment 536464
This is not the extension in this thread. This is a similar extension made by unknown people. Follow the instructions in the OP to get the right tooltip and none of the problems reported here will happen, but you won't get an auto damage calc either. Which is just as well because my experience with this different extension is the damage calc is inaccurate, just use ShowDex lol.

Pokémon Showdown Randbats Tooltip

Enhanced tooltip functionality for Pokémon Showdown Random Battle formats. This extension relies on data from https://pkmn.github.io/randbats/ which is an automatically updating repository of the latest options for Pokémon Showdown's standard Random Battle formats and is the same source that provides data to Pokémon Showdown's Random Battle Damage Calculator. More precise information about a Pokémon's possible abilities, items, moves, and stats are presented in addition to the standard tooltip information provided by Pokémon Showdown. All formats with 'Random' in their name should be supported (all generations, Singles/Doubles/Free-For-All/Multi, Unrated, Monotype, Let's Go, etc - but not Challenge Cup, Battle Factory, SSB, etc), and the additional tooltip information should be present on any Pokémon which would otherwise only have partial data (ie. any player's Pokémon/revealed team while spectating and your opponent's Pokémon/revealed team while battling).

This extension takes advantage of the fact that in practice a Pokémon's abilities and items are actually limited. The move pool displayed by the extension is guaranteed be a superset of what is returned by Pokémon Showdown's existing /randbats mon, gen command. Stats are slightly fuzzier - Max HP is elided as this stat is adjusted during set generation to hit optimal recovery or chip numbers and is impossible to infer in most scenarios without knowing the full set. Atk can be adjusted to minimize confusion damage and Spe can be adjusted if certain speed-related moves (Gyro Ball, Trick Room, etc) are included in the set and so are italicized in most cases to indicate they are not necessarily always exact (though in the cases where they are known to be fixed they are not italicized). Sets with Hidden Power in earlier gens may also have had their IVs adjusted to account for the move.

Install
Caveats

Due to Pokémon Showdown's release process, the information in the tooltip can be stale for up to an hour if changes to the Random Battle team generation logic are hotpatched immediately after being committed. This should rarely be consequential in practice, though may explain any discrepancies that may crop up. Before reporting any bugs related to the possible set options, please confirm that you are not simply dealing with this stale data scenario.

Furthermore, due to how the set generation logic used by Pokémon Showdown is based off of battle-only formes, it may not always be possible to disambiguate which forme's set to display in the tooltip (eg. Darmanitan-Galar vs. Darmanitan-Galar-Zen while the Pokémon is in Darmanitan-Galar forme) - in these cases, multiple set options will be displayed.

This extension was written to have no impact on tooltips in non-random formats and to gracefully degrade in scenarios where data is unavailable, however, extensions can be inherently problematic when it comes to reporting bugs. If you notice any UI inconsistencies anywhere within Pokémon Showdown, please do the developers a favor and attempt to reproduce the error after disabling all extensions to rule out the possibility that interaction between extensions is causing issues.

Thank you to nui, Annika, and Aeonic for helping to beta test.

In the past, the Chrome extension has been forcibly removed by Google due to a DMCA notice from a company acting on behalf of Nintendo. The extension has been republished with all trademarked intellectual property removed, however, if it happens to get taken down again the only way to use this extension on Chrome is by manually downloading chrome.zip from the latest release and unzipping it somewhere on your hard drive, going to chrome://extensions in your browser, checking the box for 'Developer Mode', and then using the 'Load unpacked extension' option to load the unzipped contents of the extension. Alternatively, many other similar extensions have been published based on the same data and code powering the official extension supported by pkmn.cc and may meet your needs, though please do not report issues for these extensions in this thread.
is there a way to use it on the showdown app on windows? or is it just for the browser mode?

Celever

i am town
Apparently there is an update to Greninja's abilities, he can now have the Battle Bond ability.

FTR the tooltip scrubs data directly from the GitHub code. This doesn’t mean they will always be perfectly synced — oftentimes the tooltip gets changes ahead of time, as patches to the formats get merged into Showdown’s code but Showdown itself isn’t patched with the update — but this can happen if a patch is merged and applied quickly and the tooltip hasn’t yet automatically grabbed data.

Either way it’s fully automatic.

FTR the tooltip scrubs data directly from the GitHub code. This doesn’t mean they will always be perfectly synced — oftentimes the tooltip gets changes ahead of time, as patches to the formats get merged into Showdown’s code but Showdown itself isn’t patched with the update — but this can happen if a patch is merged and applied quickly and the tooltip hasn’t yet automatically grabbed data.

Either way it’s fully automatic.
Or maybe they released an update on some sets or something because the same thing happened to Tyranitar. The extension doesn't usually fail like that, and this is the second time in a short time (I saw this one from Tyranitar just now). Note the possible teras in the left image (extension) and in the right image (showdown calculator).

pre

pkmn.cc
The calculator and tooltip are using the exact same source of data, the tooltip has just correctly filtered out the tera types not possible given the revealed moves (Tyranitar with Dragon Dance cannot currently be Tera Poison).

Greninja is a separate bug unique to Greninja and exacerbated by the fact that both Greninja and “Greninja-Bond” have been given the same level by the Randbats Dev team so are uniquely difficult to disambiguate. I don’t know if there is an easy fix there, but I’ll try to look into a solution when I get a chance. Thank you for reporting the issue, PokeChess. In the future, please also try to include a replay to make reproducing issues easier.

There is also currently a bug with Hidden Power in Gen 7 that should be fixed this week.

EDIT: both of these bugs should be fixed in the v1.5.1 release.

Last edited:
Could you possibly add a feature which shows if a pokemon has already terrastallized (and the type)? It gets hard to keep track sometimes

Has been working like wonders for me a long time but lately the extension has been acting up. It seems to calculate the damage as if I am attacking myself. For examble in the picture below I am positive that Psychic from Bronzong should deal more than 3-4% to the crabominable but it makes sense if the is bronzong itself. This started occuring today without any triggers. In the very matchup today it was like this. Luckily I use calc also but I still use the extension sometimes for quick calcs which doesn't have any too complicated modifiers. Has anyone gotten this problem? I have tried to refresh showdown and even deleted the extension and got it back with no luck.
1698743987718.png

Has been working like wonders for me a long time but lately the extension has been acting up. It seems to calculate the damage as if I am attacking myself. For examble in the picture below I am positive that Psychic from Bronzong should deal more than 3-4% to the crabominable but it makes sense if the is bronzong itself. This started occuring today without any triggers. In the very matchup today it was like this. Luckily I use calc also but I still use the extension sometimes for quick calcs which doesn't have any too complicated modifiers. Has anyone gotten this problem? I have tried to refresh showdown and even deleted the extension and got it back with no luck. View attachment 566862
yep came here for the exact same reason. I'm sure its a bug that I hope gets resolved soon!

Celever

i am town
Has been working like wonders for me a long time but lately the extension has been acting up. It seems to calculate the damage as if I am attacking myself. For examble in the picture below I am positive that Psychic from Bronzong should deal more than 3-4% to the crabominable but it makes sense if the is bronzong itself. This started occuring today without any triggers. In the very matchup today it was like this. Luckily I use calc also but I still use the extension sometimes for quick calcs which doesn't have any too complicated modifiers. Has anyone gotten this problem? I have tried to refresh showdown and even deleted the extension and got it back with no luck. View attachment 566862
yep came here for the exact same reason. I'm sure its a bug that I hope gets resolved soon!
The tooltip that this thread is for doesn’t have those calcs! Your guys’ tooltip is a random third party one and none of us know who makes / made it, but those calcs are very commonly way off and that’s always been the case. Using the official tooltip in this thread + showdex is the optimal way to play rands.

Maxouille

Gastrodon east sea <3
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I think the Chrome extension belongs to Maxouille, based on her previous posts in this thread.
Ah sorry I forgot I'll update, I also created a export to calc function, because showdex seems bugged in past gen such as sm (ex: water shoriken)

Quick Calc will also rely on the smogon calc package

Maxouille

Gastrodon east sea <3
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ah sorry I forgot I'll update, I also created a export to calc function, because showdex seems bugged in past gen such as sm (ex: water shoriken)

Quick Calc will also rely on the smogon calc package
done, so I added my old instaCalc project to the purple pokeball extension to do the job and replace in the meanwhile, the little calc annotations percentage1703850317517.png which are currently broken, and which were pretty useful imo. it also works in OU but set detection is currently unavailable
1703849819151.png

main: https://chromewebstore.google.com/d...ooltip/cheogdcgfjpolnpnjijnjccjljjclplg?hl=fr
instacalc: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/showdown-tooltip/ipfdjoljmkcfabfppnclebjgbehjemch

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)