Metagame Pokébilities

For explanation, a pokemon in pokebilities has all abilities active.
Alakablam (Alakazam) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Tri Attack
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
His role is all out Speedy attacker

This is Disgusting (Mienshao) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Inner Focus
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Rock Slide
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
Safe switch in tool

Dauntless (Crawdaunt) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Knock Off
- Liquidation
- X-Scissor
DDancer

Tacky Boi (Skarmory) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
Wear em Down

Salamander (Salamence) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Breaking Swipe
- Air Slash
DDancer pt 2

Whomst'd (Tangrowth) (F) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Sunny Day
- Sludge Bomb
- Solar Beam
- Ancient Power
Sun Sweeper

For explanation, a pokemon in pokebilities has all abilities active.
Alakablam (Alakazam) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Tri Attack
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
His role is all out Speedy attacker

Dauntless (Crawdaunt) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Knock Off
- Liquidation
- X-Scissor
DDancer

Salamander (Salamence) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Breaking Swipe
- Air Slash
DDancer pt 2

Whomst'd (Tangrowth) (F) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Sunny Day
- Sludge Bomb
- Solar Beam
- Ancient Power
Sun Sweeper
1. Tri attack is weird over like shadow ball for opposing psychics 2. Assault vest prevents dragon dance 3. Air slash is also a bit of a weird choice over dual wingbeat but it’s okay 4. Ancient power is bad over like focus blast cause tangrowth learns that.

Everyone knew I was bound to come back to talk about gen 9 pokebilities when it came out. Of course, it's in the pre-home stage right now, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to mention.

With major changes this generation, the meta looks significantly different in comparison to last gen. A clear example is how it lacks 2 of the big 3 from gen 8 pokebilities. Clefable and Reuniclus are both gone, Corviknight being the only one of the big 3 remaining. This is massive for weakening defensive cores.

Weather is also much weaker as the abusers are generally worse with the exception of Palafin.

Many important pokemon returned like Breloom, Ursaring, and Hariyama, some with significant buffs. For example, Hariyama now gets Drain Punch for its recovery where it didn't in the past.

From looking at the ability combinations of the new pokemon, it looks like, at least on paper, very few will have a major impact. Of course, a few doesn't mean none, as I do believe a few will have impact, but I will be talking about the returning threats, removed threats, and new threats in my next forum post.

Overall, gen 9 pokebilities is looking really fun right now and I hope that Home and DLC come soon enough so we all can play the new generation in this brilliant meta game.

Before I go, I want to thank the mods for watching over this forum and listening to every voice. You may not think we notice, but we do, and we appreciate you a ton. Thank you all for all your hard work and for making this a fun place to interact ❤

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
It's a bit sad that all the new future/past formes only have one ability, but maybe that's also a good thing, as some of the busted ones like Flutter Mane might find suitable enough competition here to not be banned. I've just started playing the game so I'm going to be taking my time with that before analyzing and resubmitting these OMs.

Warning, long read

Although it still is pre-home and/or DLC right now and pokebilities has no chance of becoming an OM until then, I thought I'd make some theorycraft teams until the time finally arrives. Of course, I have a list of threats with the current Pokedex, but I'm less than half way through my doc detailing my thoughts on the potential threats, so releasing teams also helps me talk about the meta without having to write more in the document for 3 hours.

https://pokepast.es/0d0e08925ccab59a

Basic idea transferring into the new generation, hazard stack. Weather is definitely going to look much different compared to last gen, so I thought I'd start with something simpler.

First off, my favorite gen 9 pokemon, Clodsire. Basic bulky mon that stacks hazards, but it also has a ton of utility with its abilities. Abilities that heal from being hit by certain types of moves are more valuable than ever with the nerf to recovery moves, especially in the case of Clodsire, getting a major weakness removed. Obviously, it still is weak to ice, psychic, and ground, and it can still be hit by water type moves if the opposing pokemon has Mold Breaker (like a Basculin), but it is still a great defensive typing nonetheless. A great bulky pokemon to help out in rough situations while reliably absorbing Toxic and T Spike and setting its own hazards.

Amoongus felt like a good pokemon to pair with Clodsire thanks to it's ability to defend on the physical side of the spectrum. While both are weak to psychic, causing a very common weakness throughout the team, I do feel this was one of the better defensive cores I could make. Another way to try to get past stat boosting while spreading status and contact punishment, this time with both Rocky Helmet and Effect Spore. Doesn't even really need Synthesis often thanks to Regen. Foul Play is definitely situational and could pretty easily be replaced by Sludge Bomb, Toxic, or Stun Spore, but can still be helpful for strong and frail pokemon. I think that other than the two shared weaknesses, these two synergize pretty well and make a solid defensive core.

Ursaring is definitely one of the best returning pokemon for the pokebilities meta. While it definitely wishes it could run the speed for Adamant, the hit it takes from being forced to run Jolly to outspeed the base 100 and 105 tiers (hits an effective 107 base speed with max investment and Jolly nature after status), while significant, isn't as big as it may seem. Serving the role as either a cleaner, a wall breaker, or a sweeper from the strongest Facade in the game, Ursaring can plow through so much and seemed like a great fit on a team that focuses on hazards contact punishment (Effect Spore and Poison Point) because it makes it to where even less can switch into Ursaring's insane coverage

Breloom is a fan favorite returning pokemon that can do so many things, even if not all at once. While not as useful as prior generations due to the Toxic nerf, Poison Heal is still one of the best abilities imaginable. Top that off with Technician and you have one of the strongest priority users with insane stall breaking capability (Sub+Protect+Leech) and Breloom is easily top 10 without question. However, since I wanted to focus on breaking down teams by softening them up with passive damage, I felt Breloom would be best to be a revenge killer and wall breaker. Loaded Dice guarantees at least 4 hits on Bullet Seed. After Technician, 4 hit Bullet Seed is 150 BP, 5 hit Seed is 187.5 BP. You are sacrificing other items, but the higher consistency is a price I believe to be worth paying. Not only does it use an insanely strong Bullet seed, though, it also takes advantage of a boosted Mach Punch, which has the same power as a Scizor Bullet Punch. For anything that tries to switch in, I have Spore to punish if I haven't already slept a mon and Rock Tomb to lower speed and smack incoming flyers on the switchin.

Hariyama serves the role as a bulky attacker. Thanks to finally getting Drain Punch after 5 generations of the move existing, Hariyama has a form of recovery, even if not the greatest. This proves especially potent for Assault Vest sets because you are able to make yourself able to take more hits over time thanks to Drain Punch recovery. Status only helps Hariyama become more deadly, and fire and ice type moves both being resisted adds some nice defensive utility too

Finally, Azumarill. Losing Curse and Knock Off really sucked, but it's definitely not the end for Azumarill. While it only has Belly Drum, Assault Vest, and Choice Band, Azu poses a big threat with each set. Massive damage used to punch holes in opposing teams while also being able to be a late game cleaner, simultaneously having one of the best defensive profiles imaginable for an offensive pokemon. 4x fire resist, 4x ice resist, water resist, fighting resist, dark resist, dragon immunity, and grass immunity that boosts your attack because of Sap Sipper. Surprisingly defensively adept, Azumarill gets away with a ton from having both offensive and defensive capability, helping this team succeed both offensively and defensively

Edit: Here's a pokepaste for the same team, but replacing Amoongus with Slowbro. Helps with the psychic and ice weaknesses while spreading paralysis and pressuring the opponent with Future Sight

https://pokepast.es/351295eb16adcfb2

Last edited:

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Should this format start with the initial OU banlist? I reckon Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane would be just as oppressive here as in standard play. Haundstone gets both of its great abilities for free, so that one's staying out for sure. The box legends are a standard fare to keep out. I am less familiar with Palafin, but I imagine its singular ability is not enough of a handicap to have it be balanced here.

Should this format start with the initial OU banlist? I reckon Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane would be just as oppressive here as in standard play. Haundstone gets both of its great abilities for free, so that one's staying out for sure. The box legends are a standard fare to keep out. I am less familiar with Palafin, but I imagine its singular ability is not enough of a handicap to have it be balanced here.
I definitely feel that Flutter Mane, Palafin, and especially Iron Bundle should be banned, but for Houndstone specifically, sand is already very niche with all it's good abusers effectively gone meanwhile all other weathers have strong options. However, if we do allow Houndstone, I think the better decision would be to ban Last Respects just to both separate pokebilities from base OU and to give a few more options for a more diverse team style. I think it'd be really cool to have some sort of pokebilities weather wars with the new rain abusers, paradox pokemon abusing sun, hail threats like Sheer Force+Thick Fat+Slush Rush Cetitan, and Houndstone without Last Respects abusing sand. Imo, it allows for greater versatility in team building and would make the meta both more fun and more competitive. Will definitely let others share their opinions on this, though, as an important decision should be made by a group of many people instead a group of few

New mons are constantly shaping every meta from OU to OMs, and pokebilities, while one of the less notable cases, is no exception. Some pokemon become immediate forces as soon as a meta comes out for a new gen and some fall into obscurity. Again, pokebilities is much the same in this case. However, I feel that gen 9 has brought less pokemon that specifically abuse the mechanic of pokebilities compared to last generation.

In my opinion, the best of the new pokemon, and very likely to be the new king of pokebilities, is Clodsire. Already a force in OU, Clod gets even better in pokebilities.

Water Absorb is already an amazing ability as it gives Clod an immunity to a type that it is otherwise weak to in water.

That is far from all, though. Poison Point can be annoying against some physical attackers or faster pokemon that you'd rather burn or paralyze, but it's still a really solid, helpful ability overall. Clodsire is already a titan of passive damage with 3/4 possible hazards and Toxic, so adding contact punishment to the list of passive damage is massive.

Even with all the benefits, however, neither of its two other abilities compare to Unaware, one of the best abilities in the game. Some of the most common pokemon in the meta are pokemon that run setup as one of their primary movesets, if not, their main moveset, such as Annihilape, Chi-Yu, Chien-Pao, Nasty Plot Gholdengho, Quaquaval, and Iron Defense Garganacl. Many returning pokemon also have setup as one of their most common sets, including pokemon such as Bulk Up Breloom, Dragonite, Volcarona, Azumarill, Salamence, and Gyarados. Having a pokemon with the capability to temporarily stave off assaults or completely counter setup pokemon is huge.

Clodsire also has extra benefits that seem miniscule at first, but can end up making a major difference, like immunity to Thunder Wave, immunity to Sandstorm, immunity to poison if not up against a Glimmora or Salazzle, ability to absorb Toxic Spikes, a resistance to Stealth Rock, and the ability to dissuade Trick users with Black Sludge.

All of these make an elite pokemon most of the time. Sometimes, though, a pokemon is stopped by its typing or stats. However, that is not the case with Clodsire. Resists to rock, bug, fighting, fairy, a 4x resistance to poison, an immunity to electric, and an immunity to water thanks to Water Absorb make for an amazing defensive type.

So, what about the stats? Obviously, speed is abysmal. However, I do believe that is a positive for Clodsire due to switch priority. Since the faster pokemon will always switch out first if both players switch out, having a slower pokemon means you will have the ability to bring in your pokemon after your opponent. This allows you to choose the pokemon best for your matchup. Special attack is unusable, so it isn't suggested to use any special moves. Its base attack is 75, which isn't great, but isn't the worst thing ever for a defensive pokemon. What you want to look at is the defensive stats. Clodsire's base HP is 130, its special defense is base 100, and its physical defense is base 60. These stats make Clodsire a phenomenal special wall with solid physical bulk.

Due to its combination of phenomenal abilities, great defensive benefits, an amazing typing, and solid stats, I believe Clodsire will undoubtedly be the best gen 9 pokemon in pokebilities, if not, the best overall pokemon in the meta.

Last edited:
So, OMotM is currently being voted on and pokebilities is in 2nd place, so I thought I'd talk about another megagame beast. Azumarill has been one of the absolute best pokemon in pokebilities ever since the beta testing period before public release in gen 6. Unfortunately, the newer generations did give it heavy nerds. No Z moves from gen 7, no Knock Off from previous gens, and no Curse.

Yes, Curse was a very late development for SS pokebilities, but it is still a massive deal for Azu to lose an amazing setup option. Normally, Azu is locked into Sap Sipper since Curse is only a transfer move, but pokebilities allows it because you have all abilities. This one extra move gave Azu even more set versatility

Back to the point, though, Azu did take significant nerfs. However, there are still many things that bring it to the top. For instance, it's combination of Thick Fat, Huge Power, and Sap Sipper is debatably the best combination of abilities for any pokebilities mon. With all abilities, Azu is immune to grass (and gets an attack boost from it), immune to dragon, resists dark, resists fighting, resists bug, resists water, 4x resists ice, and 4x resists fire. Azu already had an amazing offensive profile, but adding a top tier defensive profile just makes it even better. For reference, here's a list (than can still be added to) of mons that Azu can either check or counter due to it's type.

Chi-Yu
Chien-Pao
Ting-Lu
Roaring Moon
Baxcalibur
Breloom
Lokix
Meowscarada
Quaquaval
Volcarona
Dondozo
Slither Wing
Fighting Paldean Tauros
Fire/Fighting Paldean Tauros
Water/Fighting Paldean Tauros
Cloyster
Floatzel
Hydreigon
Cetitan
Brute Bonnet
Haxorus
Heracross
Mabosstiff

Being able to temporarily stave off threats as scary as these is a major boon, especially when it can be bolstered even further with Assault Vest and/or Wish support.

Huge Power is as brilliant as ever, allowing Azu to go absolutely crazy in terms of what it reliably hits. With the addition of Ice Spinner, Azu even has an option to deal with Clodsire and Amoongus. Amazing overall coverage as well as one of the best combinations of offensive threat and tanky machine.

One major buff, however, is terastalization. If Azu is tera ground, it has Sap Sipper to nullify grass moves, Thick Fat to remove the ice weakness, and normal Azu resists water, so you don't want to risk an incorrect prediction on Azu.

With it's amazing offensive and defensive capabilities, though, Azu is definitely top tier in the meta, maybe even top 5.

Most common sets consist of Choice Band (focuses on revenge killing), Sitrus Berry, Leftovers, and Assault Vest. No matter what item Azu has, though, it will likely remain a powerful pivot. I definitely think Azu will become more defensive when the meta comes back to deal with the new legendary quartet, but I absolutely believe Azu is top 5 in the meta

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)