ORAS OU Please Rate and Make My OU Team Better

I made an OU team 2 months ago and it was just plain bad. I studied about competitive battling and synergy between each Pokemon these 2 months and recently, I made a team that is pretty good IMO. This team is a Bulky Offensive team (I'm bad at making and battling with Hyper Offensive teams) with Altaria as its Mega. I want to know what you think, the weaknesses of this team, and how to make it better. By the way, this is not a fixed team. There are still some things that I'm unsure of.

Altaria-Mega (F) @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 228 SpD / 28 Spe
Careful Nature
- Frustration
- Dragon Dance
- Cotton Guard/Earthquake
- Roost
Mega Altaria is an amazing Pokemon, especially for Bulky Offensive teams like mine. Its unique and amazing typing lets Mega Altaria have key resistances to some types and dangerous moves. Mega Altaria has a wide movepool that, along with its balanced stats and its Pixilate ability, can turn it into either a physical or special attacker depending on what you need.
My Mega Altaria is a defensive Pokemon that aims for 2 Dragon Dances instead of 1. Frustration is Mega Altaria's main STAB (thanks to Pixilate) move and it hits so hard that it even matches the power of non STAB super effective moves. Dragon Dance is what makes Mega Altaria super suitable to be and dangerous for a defensive Pokemon. Cotton Guard can be used to prevent physical threats like Weavile, Mega Lopunny, and priority moves to stop Mega Altaria from setting up. Roost is to recover some of Mega Altaria's lost health before continuing on setting up. Earthquake is one of Mega Altaria's uniqueness that is super effective against every type that Fairy is weak to.
The EV spreads are pretty much defensive. 252 HP for more bulk, 228 Sp. Def and Careful nature for extra special bulk since Mega Altaria can't boost its special bulk in-battle, and 28 Speed so that Mega Altaria can outspeed Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric at +2.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume/Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock
Heatran is no doubt the best partner for Mega Altaria, as it highly resists pretty much every single type that Mega Altaria is weak to. It also has an offensive presence, despite being bulky.
Lava Plume is Heatran's STAB move that is chosen over Flamethrower and Fire Blast because of its higher burn chance. Flash Cannon is a STAB move that heavily damages Fairy type Pokemon. Earth Power is for coverage to help clean the path for Mega Altaria.
Heatran's EV is pretty much bulky offensive with 4 Speed instead of 4 Def or Sp. Def so that it can outspeed an unboosted Heatran. The item of choice is Leftovers so that Heatran can survive longer.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Discharge
- Hex/Volt Switch/Thunder Wave/Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp/Thunder Wave/Pain Split
Wash Rotom is one of the most competitive Rotom. Its awesome typing combined with Levitate and its bulk makes a great synergy with many Pokemon. In this team's case, Heatran really apreciates Rotom's utility such as Will-O-Wisp for strong physical Fighting and Ground type Pokemon, Thunder Wave for fast and dangerous Pokemon, and its ability to remove Water and Ground Pokemon. Wash Rotom's only weakness, Grass, is highly resisted by Heatran.
One move that every Wash Rotom should have, Hydro Pump, is fortunately a powerful STAB move. Discharge is preferred to Thunderbolt because of its higher paralysis chance. Will-O-Wisp is an awesome utility move that stops physical attackers in its tracks. Thunder Wave is a move that completely nullifies any Speed boosts. Hex is a decent coverage move that hits harder than STAB Discharge when combined with status. I'm not a fan of Volt Switch, but it's good to provide a free switch in. Pain Split is great to recover more HP and weaken bulky Pokemon.
The EV Spread and Nature is the same to that of Heatran.

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Calm Mind
Why not Latios? The answer is simple. Because Latias is specially bulkier, and, while it's weaker offensively, Latias still packs a punch with Calm Mind. Latias' purpose is to faint Fight and Poison as well as slower Dragon Pokemon as the former can pose a threat to most of the team.
My Latias is a semi offensive Pokemon. Draco Meteor is Latias' strongest STAB moves, but can only be used when absolute necessary, as it weakens down Latias. Psyshock is a nice STAB move to hit specially defensive Pokemon, but Psychic is preferred to hit frailer Pokemon and Pokemon with equal defensive stats. Calm Mind is to further strengthen both special offense and defense. Energy Ball is a good coverage move to hit Water type Pokemon as they usually have Ice type moves.
With 252 Speed, Jolly Nature, and 252 Sp. Atk, Latias is aimed to be a fast and bulky offensive Pokemon.

Cobalion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
My answer to Dark types, the one which makes Latias suffer so bad. With Justified and high physical bulk, Cobalion is just perfect to tank Dark type moves. It can also tank Ice type moves, something that Latias can't do.
With Cobalion's high Speed, Speed boost is almost unnecessary. Swords Dance just works wonderfully with Cobalion to increase its offensive presence. Sacred Sword is Cobalion's main STAB move, ignoring any stat changes the opponent has made. Iron Head is a STAB move that is useful whenever Heatran's Flash Cannon isn't enough. Stone Edge is a decent coverage move that hits Pokemon like Mega Charizards and Gyarados hard.
Another offensive EV Spread, physical this time. Lum Berry is the item of choice to prevent burn from ruining Cobalion's berserk.

Before I go to the next Pokemon, I want to tell you that the next Pokemon is only a temporary Pokemon to check Ghost types. If you know a better Ghost checks/counters, please tell me.

Scrafty (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
An underrated Pokemon. With its great ability choices, great mixed bulk, and Dragon Dance, Scrafty can set up pretty nicely, doesn't fear any status effects, and become a fast and deadly sweeper that is still bulky. Just make sure that there is no Fairy and Flying types before switching Scrafty in. This is the partner for Latias if the opponent is a bulky Ghost type Pokemon.
High Jump Kick is the main STAB move that Scrafty learns. Knock Off is a STAB move that is useful and powerful competitively. Dragon Dance is the main powering up move. Ice Punch is a coverage against frailer Flying, Dragon, and Ground types like Gliscor, Landorus, and Garchomp.
Scrafty has a bulky EV spread with 252 HP, 192 Spe, and 64 Atk. 192 Speed and Jolly Nature is to outspeed base 100 Spe Pokemon at +1.

So far the only weakness that I found is the lack of proper Fighting resistances because Latias doesn't have a good Physical Defense and Fighting type Pokemon usually have coverage moves like Knock Off and Ice Punch which are dangerous for Latias and Mega Altaria, respectively.

Feel free to comment about my team. Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Hi, I really don't like some of the Pokemon you have, and while I do not normally like to suggest changing Pokemon, I'd like you to change two of your Pokemon:

Cobalion: The issue with Cobalion is it has trouble dealing with very common threats of the tier such as Landorus-Therian and Excadrill (in sand), as well as Fire-types like Heatran as well. While you do have Stone Edge for said Fire-types, it's very unreliable having little PP and relatively low accuracy. Also, you say Cobalion is your Dark answer, however, you have Mega Altaria right there for you, if dark types really decide to pose a threat. For these reasons, I'd suggest that you Change Cobalion to a more prominent SD Fighting type, like Terrakion. While these also lose to ground types such as Landorus-Therian, it can beat Excadrill (outside of sand) regularly, which actually is a huge threat to your team, (Excadrill in general). While Cobalion doesn't have the bulk you seek, Terrakion makes up for that in power, which your team would like to have. Honestly, for Terrakion, any set works. You could use Scarf, or Band, or the many other sets. Use what you like the most here. Personally, I would use Scarf, because your team is relatively slow, but it's up to you. And for those things, I'd like you to use Terrakion over Cobalion

Scrafty: There's no reason for this Pokemon to be here. While it's a powerful Pokemon in RU, there is a Pokemon that better fits your team that I would like you to replace Scrafty with, and that Pokemon is Magnezone. Magnezone traps Steels and kills them for Mega Altaria, giving it a better opportunity to sweep. That's literally all there is to it. The best set you can use for this is Choice Specs.

Set Changes:

Latias: Change Energy Ball to Recover. There is no reason to use Energy Ball over Recover, mainly because it gives you the ability to get your health back, which is very important on Latias.

Rotom-Wash: Discharge to Volt Switch, and Hex to Pain Split. These are really the better moves on Rotom-Wash, and while Hex compliments Will'o'wisp, remember that Rotom-Wash is a defensive Pokemon, and benefits more from Pain Split. Adding Volt Switch allows Rotom-Wash to pivot out of switching-in counters, and into your own counter.

That's all I have for this rate!

Hi, I really don't like some of the Pokemon you have, and while I do not normally like to suggest changing Pokemon, I'd like you to change two of your Pokemon:

Cobalion: The issue with Cobalion is it has trouble dealing with very common threats of the tier such as Landorus-Therian and Excadrill (in sand), as well as Fire-types like Heatran as well. While you do have Stone Edge for said Fire-types, it's very unreliable having little PP and relatively low accuracy. Also, you say Cobalion is your Dark answer, however, you have Mega Altaria right there for you, if dark types really decide to pose a threat. For these reasons, I'd suggest that you Change Cobalion to a more prominent SD Fighting type, like Terrakion. While these also lose to ground types such as Landorus-Therian, it can beat Excadrill (outside of sand) regularly, which actually is a huge threat to your team, (Excadrill in general). While Cobalion doesn't have the bulk you seek, Terrakion makes up for that in power, which your team would like to have. Honestly, for Terrakion, any set works. You could use Scarf, or Band, or the many other sets. Use what you like the most here. Personally, I would use Scarf, because your team is relatively slow, but it's up to you. And for those things, I'd like you to use Terrakion over Cobalion

Scrafty: There's no reason for this Pokemon to be here. While it's a powerful Pokemon in RU, there is a Pokemon that better fits your team that I would like you to replace Scrafty with, and that Pokemon is Magnezone. Magnezone traps Steels and kills them for Mega Altaria, giving it a better opportunity to sweep. That's literally all there is to it. The best set you can use for this is Choice Specs.

Set Changes:

Latias: Change Energy Ball to Recover. There is no reason to use Energy Ball over Recover, mainly because it gives you the ability to get your health back, which is very important on Latias.

Rotom-Wash: Discharge to Volt Switch, and Hex to Pain Split. These are really the better moves on Rotom-Wash, and while Hex compliments Will'o'wisp, remember that Rotom-Wash is a defensive Pokemon, and benefits more from Pain Split. Adding Volt Switch allows Rotom-Wash to pivot out of switching-in counters, and into your own counter.

That's all I have for this rate!
Thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it.

After some more battles, I just found out that this team is vulnerable to Ground moves, especially Excadrill's. It's been a hard time finding a good replacement for Cobalion and at the same time reducing my team's vulnerability to Ground moves, but I succeeded. That Pokemon is Conkeldurr.
This is the set:

Conkeldurr (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

I increased the Def so that it can handle physical attacks better. Assault Vest is the item of choice to boost its Sp. Def. 252 Atk and Adamant nature provide an offensive presence. Guts is preferred to Sheer Force and Iron Fist to add more unpredictability to the team.
Drain Punch is the main STAB move that also heals Conkeldurr, lasting it longer in battle. Mach Punch makes Conkeldurr a good revenge killer. Knock Off is a useful coverage move that removes useful items that highly boost the enemy Pokemon and is great for a predicted Psychic type switch-ins such as Latios and Psychic type status-ers such as Mew. Stone Edge is another coverage move that is useful for a predicted frailer Flying type switch-ins such as Talonflame and Pidgeot.

I still haven't found Scrafty's replacement, but I'm working on it.

I'm changing Rotom's Hex, but I'm still torn between Pain Split and Volt Switch. I'm not changing Discharge because its high chance of paralysis is highly useful to weaken fast Pokemon.

I'm changing Latias' Energy Ball, but with Wish instead of Recover, so that Latias can be a support Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)