Please help a guy out....HeartGold Battle Frontier

Hey people!
I'm kinda new to this, but I would like to try and do relatively well at the Battle Frontier. I've made a team, but I would like to know if it's viable for the Battle Tower and/or Arcade. As well, I'm not sure how to EV train (if that's what it's called) these guys well.

Garchomp
Adamant/Jolly @ Scope Lens
Outrage
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Swords Dance/Sandstorm <-(works with his ability?)

This would be my lead-hammer whatever it can, switch if necessary.

Suicune
Bold/Calm @ Leftovers
Surf
Ice Beam
Calm Mind
Rest/Substitute

To quote the friend of mine who gave me the gist of this team, "Suicune should be used as a tank, maybe a status absorber with a sleep talk set."

Metagross
Adamant @ Choice Band
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Ice Punch
Explosion

Metagross serves pretty much the same function as Garchomp- beat up what it an, explode when finished.

Any help/ideas will be appreciated greatly!

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Give Garchomp Dragon Fang or Yache Berry, but otherwise good. I would go with using SD on Garchomp, and an Adamant nature. If you can EV, go 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe on Garchomp, 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe filler on Suicune, and 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe on Metagross. Otherwise, it looks pretty good, I commend you for actually making a team.

Click Here to Learn to EV Train.

this looks good, I would actually put sash on garchomp, give it 252 speed/252 attack and give it swords dance, then give metagross a quick claw or just leave as is, and then give milotic substitute (despuite the def. boost, being asleep leaves you wide open without a lum/chesto berry). Aside from that it's great, I actually used latios , metagross, and garchomp to beat dahlia, darach and plamer in the 2nd round each without losing anyone. One tip is to make sure garchomp as your lead as its sweeps well with sash, usually killing 2-3 of the opponent's pokemon and takes darach down no-damage.

@ GARCHOMPZILLA

Thanks for the suggestions- I have only one more question. Which water type would work the best with my team- Swampert, Milotic, or Suicune? And how should the "EVs" go for best one?

milotic or suicune: for milotic you want 252 hp/150 defense/100sp.atk maybe, and for suicune you want 252 hp/100 def/100/sp.def/52 sp.atk. also maybe have shadow ball instead of substitute on suicune for starmie(thunderbolt will be a problem) and other water types who resist the other attacks (plus, chance of sp.def lower isn't bad either).

@ GARCHOMPZILLA

Thanks! I'll prob use Suicune, although IVs (from what I know they're predetermined values that affect Pokemon stats- my friend told me) might be an issue.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
If you really want explosion on your Metagross, I'd say a Choice Scarf, but the band works fine too I guess. Personally though, I'd just use Agiligross.

^In the latter case (agiligross), swap ice punch for agility

As for your water, if you can get a good Suicune, I'd use that, especially since it can calm mind. Don't bother with sleep talk, that's more for pvp battling. When played correctly, Suicune can easily survive the 2-3 turns of sleep. That said, you may want to swap the leftovers for a chesto berry, as this allows cune to get in a few more calm minds before it becomes immobile for the 2-3 turns, but this is personal preference.

As for its ev's, I'd start with bold 252 hp, 252 def, 4 sp. def, and try it out, and tweak them as you see fit. You don't need sp. atk ev's since youll be boosting with calm mind, and you'll have more than enough special attack to KO alot of things.

hope this helps.

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Hi, Colossus and welcome to Smogon! While I personally can't give you much help regarding the battle tower/frontier you might find this thread helpful. Its a collection of battle tower records and has a good deal of advice and tips on how to succeed! Best of luck in your endeavors!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)