Project Player Interview #9: Averardo

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader

Art by Kalalokki

Averardo
Favorite Pokemon: Ledian

Most used Pokemon: Mega Abomasnow

Most known for: Playing in official tours, as well as being the gatekeeper for new contributors in RU

After doing my latest interview, I was walking to the nearest hotel when suddenly a van parked right next to me and a bunch of goons put a bag on my face and kidnapped me.

I woke up when the bag was harshly removed and a bright light was pointing directly at me. "I knew a guy like you would come" said a mysterious voice with a heavy italian accent.

"Who are you and what do you want?" I asked, but the guy didn't seem like he planned on replying to me, instead he started washing a pizza with fine red wine and proceeded to eat it. As he finished he said "I'm here to respond to your bad interview."

It didn't seem like I had much choice, so I started asking the questions....

Yo Ave, how is it goin bro?

hello feli im ok wbu

I'm fine bro thanks for askin
Felt like continuing the wave of the newer ru players on the scene so obviously you were next on my list
Tell me about yourself bro

Well im a common italian high student nothing too crazy going on, im studing to become an informatic engineer rn even tho i have beef with my informatic teacher rofl things arent looking good
i also used to be part of an athletic club but i had beef with the coach there too maybe im the problem there lol

rofl what do you like about being an informatic engineer? What do you see yourself doing in the future?
Also why the beef with everyone?

Idk what i like about it, i just feel natural working in that area. For the future, i really dont know. I could be the new Elon Musk or i could be working at Burger King, life is always a mistery you know. I easily beef with people cause i also get easily mad, especially when im 100% sure im not the one wrong.

lmao preach
What about your background Ave, how is the childhood of an italian kid?

I had to transfer from city to city at least 5 times in my childhood cause of my father's work, so it was pretty difficult for me to relate with people. Luckily, now we stopped moving 8 years ago and i made new friends during mid and high school. It was cool tho to see different Italy's cities, everyone of them different from the others.

That's nice, which one did you like the most?

I would say Catania, pretty big city with lot of interesting activities / events. You're hardly get bored there.

Nice, I'll make sure to check it out whenever I go to Italy
Now onto mons, what sparked your love for pokemon?

When i was a child, i got as a present from a parent a R4 Revolution. I started playing a bunch of games from that flashcard and one of them was Pokemon Pearl. I immediatly fell in love with that game and i started to follow the TV Show. After that i kept buying the game and here i am now.

How did you find out about Smogon or PS?

There was an italian Youtuber i liked to watch for his Pokèmon's gameplays, and after a while he started playing competitive mons on PS. I immediatly started playing there too. I entered Smogon after some friends told me to do so.

And why did you decide to stay? How did you end up playing RU?

I had fun playing with my friends so i had no reasons to stop. One of those friends told me to get the Tiering Contributor Badge starting with the RU Sharpedo Suspect. I had lot of fun playing that meta so i decided to keep playing it.

And what have your thoughts been about the tier and the community?

The meta at the time was very offensive, so the very noob me thougth it was very cool. I entered the community latelly, and i definetly started with a blast (entei suspect). I thought it was a very cool community but im pretty sure people didnt like me at the start. Glad i was able to change their mind (i hope).

So you just played in your first ever official team tour, how did it feel to get picked and what did you think about the tour overall?

I was very hyped when i got picked, got a lot of support from friends and i wanted to own everyone in the tour. I kinda lost interest during mid tour tho, and i dont really know the reason. Im a very lazy guy so building and prepping for 5 weeks was too much for me. At that point playing just begin to be stressful and annoying. Kinda lame from my part and im sorry for my team, but overall i had fun supporting and cheering my friends in the tour.

What did you think about the games themselves? Team wise, playing wise, etc

There are def games where i played badly and some games where i played good, definetly could have done better. I liked the teams i used for half the season, and im sure they were all a good pick vs the oppos i played. The other half i just didnt care enough to build a well made team, so i ended up using some embarancing stuff.

Nice, happens to most of us, then everyone goes into the "I'm never joining officials again" for a bit
What do you think about the current playerbase? Both old and new players alike

Not gonna repeat what everyone said for the old players, so ill just talk about the new. Rabbit def made a good show in snake, starting with a lame negative record and ending with the 2 best record. You could argue some of his games were dumb, but hes def getting better and i cant wait to see more from him. I also love Odd Della Robia, big fan of his building even tho i think he still isnt a beast playingvise. P sure he will have ton of succcess in the future.

Would you mind dropping a team that best represents your style and explain your thought process behind it?

This is the team i used vs UB in week 5. What i always like to use are mons that, even if slow, can tank hits and clicks moves without any big drawback (thats why i really like to use mega aboma). This time i decided to use araquanid, since while scouting i found it he was very weak to it. Weezing was a Pokèmon i decided to use on the team later on after some testes, didnt do much in the game vs ub but did enough to let me win. Flygon gives me speed and hazards controll, while also giving me momentum to let araquanid in. I was using the stallbreaker set on mandi here cause i was scared UB migth use that, but the set can be easily changed. Virizion is another breaker and stoise resist, while bronzong acted as a steel type and fire lure, since heatproof + eq.

Nice lookin
So, you are known as the "I knew a guy like you would have come" guy, how does it feel to be known as the gatekeeper of new contributors?

What do you think about USM RU as a whole metagame now that the generation ended?

I liked how the tier was handled, pretty balanced and fun overall to play. Giving another chance at Mega Absol migth have been ok but i was the first to say it was busted so w/e ig lol

Any last words you wish to tell the fans?

No

Ok thanks for your time

Ty for the interview, bye :D

=========================================================================================

Feel free to ask Averardo any questions you want!

If you have any reccomendations I'll be more than happy to read them, just PM me!

Next time on FeliInterviews...

odr

kickin incredibly dope shit
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
What are some of your favorite Pokémon from gen 8? How do you think the new learnsets of different Pokémon (removal of pursuit and hidden power, and new tm and tutor moves like nasty plot and close combat) will impact the metagame?

Jisoo

two slow dancers last ones out
is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
Hello dearest Averardo / avedo / acedo. I have some questions if you would take the time to answer :heart:.

1. Bottom 1 moment in the snake draft? My personal one was the Medicham v Mandibuzz action.

2. Which sport did you play?

3. Why do you hate ohio residents so much?

4. Cringiest Italian oat?

Thank you avedo :3

Denial

formerly Lunala
is a Past WCoP Champion
who do u fuckin hate in smogon? whos the shittest player uve played?
The answer to both is for sure Watchog .

Solo cuoricini per mio fratellino Averardo :heart:

What is the match you have the fondest memory of? Why?
I dont think i have any at the moment, too young to the site to have any "epic battle".

What are some of your favorite Pokémon from gen 8? How do you think the new learnsets of different Pokémon (removal of pursuit and hidden power, and new tm and tutor moves like nasty plot and close combat) will impact the metagame?
Falinks Dragapult and Pincurchin. Glad they removed HP, busted coverage. The removal of Pursuit will def make Ghost and Psychic types stronger then ever, and i cant wait to see how this will impact RU. Cant also wait to run Nasty Plot Claydol while also boosting Speed with Rapid Spin.

Hello dearest Averardo / avedo / acedo. I have some questions if you would take the time to answer :heart:.

1. Bottom 1 moment in the snake draft? My personal one was the Medicham v Mandibuzz action.

2. Which sport did you play?

3. Why do you hate ohio residents so much?

4. Cringiest Italian oat?

Thank you avedo :3
1. Epic
2. Basket, but i lost interest after a while.
3. Just you
4. Def umbreon098
Solo cuoricini per mio fratellino Averardo :heart:
What does averardo even mean? P sure I already know that but cant remember:blobpensive:
Just searched "italian names" on the internet and picked the one that sounded the funniest to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)