Project Player Interview #16 : Hilomilo

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

Approved by UU moderation & inspired by Feliburn's project

After a 1.5 month break.. "Player Interview" is back ! This project will allow you to discover or re-discover some well known players of the UU community. Those people may be known thanks to their high-skilled level or their achievements on the strategic scene but also thanks to their dedication into the tier or within the community. Time to gossip !

Hey there Hilomilo and welcome in this first player interview of 2021 ! First of all, how are you doing ?

Hi Moute! Thanks so much for having me! I've been good today, thanks :))

You're well known for being the host of the Viability Rankings since forever, outside of this, could you talk a bit about yourself ? Who are you on Smogon and how did you discover the website ?

Sure thing! I actually came across ps! after catching a mention of it in a youtube video in middle school (I used to be an avid poketuber watcher, horrible I know), and learned about Smogon not long after. I was a casual UU player before maining LC for a little bit then delving more deeply into UU as the early SM metagame really grabbed my interest. I've always absolutely loved writing, which really made the website's C&C section my homebase of sorts. I started on LC QC, became UU QC not much longer, and after a few years of that became a moderator for UU C&C!

Pretty great path overall ! Do you remember since when you're hosting the UU VR ?

I think around January 2018? It's absolutely crazy to think it's been that long. I was a fairly active contributor through most gen 8 VRs, and after deciding to step down as host pif was gracious enough to bring me up as a candidate for the position. It's been a really fun and rewarding way to both still contribute to the community and find a different kind of writing outlet on the site.

Yeah you’re a figurehead for sure ! Could you tell us a bit about yourself IRL ?

Aww thanks, means a lot hearing that. And absolutely! I'm a 19 y/o psychology student in my first year at uiowa. I'm in the US and have only ever lived in the midwest (unfortunately), and am a huuuuge drum geek. I'm on my university drumline and that's been chaotic and frankly super stressful to navigate with my major and COVID, but it's been such a great experience and I wouldn't take it back for anything.

Since when do you practice drums ?

I started when I was maybe 9? 10? Whenever kids usually start concert band in America LOL. I was a percussionist in concert band and totally ate up all the additional opportunities that came with it, like playing kit in jazz band and drumline in high school. It's definitely always been my bread and butter

Damn yeah it's been a while ! And since when are you playing Pokemon ?

I was always a huge Pokemon player growing up. I first played Diamond when I got it as a birthday present waaay long ago and completely fell in love with the franchise. I started ps! random battles sometime in middle school and began playing tiered metagames not long after. My engagement with UU's various metagames has been a bit on and off depending on how much time I have to get into stuff, but I've bought nearly every Pokemon game in the last few years as they've been released.

Oh so you began with Diamond ? Then are you hoping for a DPP remake at the end of 2021 ?

YES. One THOUSAND percent hehe. Infernape is my favorite Pokemon ever and is lowkey highkey the reason I wanted to give UU a try when I first got into Smogon. I know there are rumors and potential leaks and I just hope they're true!

Yeah I'm hoping the same ! Outside of Pokémon, what video games do you like to play ?

I've always been pretty big on Nintendo and admittedly haven't ventured too far outside of that realm. Luigi's Mansion is probably my favorite game ever, and Mario games have been a splurge of mine pretty much any time they've come out. I also absolutely LOVE horror games, though, with Outlast in particular being one of my all-time favorites.

Did you played the second opus of that game and if you did, what do you though of it ?

I have! Both that and the Whistleblower version. I feel like nothing can beat the initial magic of slowy unconvering everything going on in the first games but I'll always love the game format and psychological thriller aspect of the games.

Yeah the first game was quite amazing ! By the way, why did you pick "Hilomilo" as your username ?

LOL there's actually no specific reason! A lot of people think it's from the Billie Eilish song 'ilomilo' but itwas just kind of something I spontaneously came up with and decided to stick with after liking the sound, even though most people mispronounce it heh

Alright, last but not least would you mind to share with the community a team that you made in UU if you have one ?

Of course! I admittedly haven't laddered on my main in AGES (alts are far too appealing to hide behind) and wish I was a little more invested in this current meta, but this team has been a lot of fun to cheese around with. I like bee webs more than I probably should and wanted to tap back into that magic/cheese of bish/mmq/mamo from gen 7. Definitely some holes in the team but I've enjoyed playing around with it here and there.

Ooh so you're a web lover like viv ! Well well thanks a lot for your time and your answers, we finally managed to get some time to do this interview ! :]

Thank you so much for having me! I'm glad we were finally able to do this, thanks for being so patient :')

Feel free to ask to Hilomilo any questions you want !
If you have some recommendations for an interview, feel free to DM me !

Even with a psychology degree, is it sometimes hard to understand people's thought process when certain VR noms are made?

Band

scatters things often
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
What's your favorite dessert?
What's your DPP Remake dream team?
Will Lily ever go one week straight without changing her pfp?

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
No

What compels you to put in so much effort with in C&C? Do you just enjoy writing that much, or is it a feeling of reward? Maybe something else?
Favourite Pokemon of each type?
What do you do outside of video games? You mentioned music in the OP, just wondering if there's anything else!
Who's your celebrity crush?
Is there anyone in the UU community who could 110% never beat you in an arm wrestle?

Thank you for being such a valuable & contributor and friend. I think I speak for everyone when I say that UU is a much better place with you in it. <3

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Even with a psychology degree, is it sometimes hard to understand people's thought process when certain VR noms are made?
LMAO. I think a part of being host for so long has allowed me to understand to ride with a lot of... very different opinions from mine :smogduck: it's always interesting reading people's posts nonetheless!

How do you feel when someone nominates something like Azelf from C+ to A-?
Alakazam

What's your favorite dessert?
What's your DPP Remake dream team?
- Anything at all that has chocolate in it is something I will eat. Cookies and brownies, however, especially hit the spot.
- Chimchar is my starter 100%. I know it's basic but the Shinx and Starly lines are also old standbys. If I could pick right now it'd probably be Infernape/Luxray/Roserade/Staraptor/Abomasnow/anyone of Mamoswine/Lucario/Gastrodon/Bibarel. Usually that 6th slot switches around but I do like having a water typing a lot so Gastro's probably the most frequent inclusion.
- No but she's iconic like that.

No

What compels you to put in so much effort with in C&C? Do you just enjoy writing that much, or is it a feeling of reward? Maybe something else?
Favourite Pokemon of each type?
What do you do outside of video games? You mentioned music in the OP, just wondering if there's anything else!
Who's your celebrity crush?
Is there anyone in the UU community who could 110% never beat you in an arm wrestle?

Thank you for being such a valuable & contributor and friend. I think I speak for everyone when I say that UU is a much better place with you in it. <3
:pleadingtaco: ily Lily

- I do absolutely love writing, which is partially why I really enjoy longer write-ups on forums when I have time for them, so I think that's what initially drew me to C&C. I think the feeling that I'd found my lane on this site was really what kept me there though. I think it's really rewarding being able to churn out content and help other people polish their own and figure how they can continue to improve. It's definitely a balance of enjoying writing, enjoying helping people, and ofc being able to have some odd claim over a mon I like by writing its analysis hehe. C&C opportunities have also led to me finding a lot of my favorite people in the community! :heart:
- Putting these in a hide tag below, but as you can see it's predominantly sinnoh mons bc I am an overwhelmingly pathetic sinnoh baby. Graveler and Charjabug are a little less conventional, but in my first Pokemon play through ever I had a Graveler that I kept because it needed to be traded to evolve and I didn't know that at the time, and in SM it took so long to actually be able to evolve Charjabug that by the time I had the opportunity to I had grown far too attached to it.
- I have a ton of different instruments at the house I'm currently at and spend way too much time tinkering around with them (mostly percussion instruments but a keyboard and a few guitars too). I ran XC/played soccer all through high school and still go on runs and hit up my old soccer teammates for pickup games when I have time. I also obviously enjoy writing and try finding as many different outlets to do that as possible, but I also spend a lot of time with my dog and hang with my older brother a lot lately, which has been a nice, unexpected plus of the pandemic.
- My male celebrity crush is Jake Gyllenhaal and my female celebrity crush is Lilburr
- I know for a fact that vivalospride would be too distracted gazing into my eyes to beat me in an arm wrestling match.

vivalospride

been up all year my third eye aint even blinkin’
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Why did moutemoute pick you of all people to interview?
Are we that dry as a community?
Why are you 3% as active as you were last gen?
Who is the best SM QC checker and why are you wrong if you don't say me?
Why was pif a vastly superior vr host?
Who is the most attractive PS user in your opinion (that you know of)?
Are you a puff main in smash?
When will you actually play a game of competitive pokemon Hilomilo ;_;?

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What do you enjoy the most about running the VR?
I've always really liked reading up on people's perspectives and arguments regarding the flow of the meta/various mons. I just really like opinion writing and reading other people's opinions in my real life and I think that absolutely manifests on forums with my vr host position. I'm also just a nerd and like thinking about how constantly the meta shifts and changes heh.

Why did moutemoute pick you of all people to interview?
Are we that dry as a community?
Why are you 3% as active as you were last gen?
Who is the best SM QC checker and why are you wrong if you don't say me?
Why was pif a vastly superior vr host?
Who is the most attractive PS user in your opinion (that you know of)?
Are you a puff main in smash?
When will you actually play a game of competitive pokemon Hilomilo ;_;?
- Because of my winning personality :Smogjynx:
- No but you are <3
- school, major picking up ;-;
- It was Pak and I'm wrong because my secret main role on this site is to keep you humble
- He knows how to write well without writing a whole essay :why:
- vivalospride XD
- Nope! I main Ness so I am still disliked
- Who knows? Pledging that I'll get way back into comp mons then backing out is like half my personality now oops

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)