Project Player interview #14 - Insult

Welcome back to OU player interviews! This time we have past SCL winner and OLT qualifier, Insult! Beating some of the best in a tough run for the most recent OLT, while finishing with an 6-3 record in SPL, Insult has proved to be a consistent player and tough opponent in any tour setting, so without any delay lets get into it.

INSULT

INSULT
Favorite mon: Tauros, Magnezone, Reshiram, Mewtwo,
Most used mon: Landorous (although with guilt)

MDP 3DS Substitute.png

Hi insult how are you?

MDP 3DS 643.png

Pretty good bro how about yourself

MDP 3DS Substitute.png

Not bad enjoying the rain here in the US over the cold and snow
Would you care to tell us a little about yourself?

MDP 3DS 643.png

Sure yeah my name is James, I am a third year computer science major and other than mons I enjoy games like smash/brawlhalla and TFT

MDP 3DS Substitute.png

make or break moment here; what is your smash main in any of them that you play

MDP 3DS 643.png

mm, i dont rly have a main main ig my 2 mains would be mewtwo and sheik

MDP 3DS Substitute.png

very nice! if you said ness i would have had to end the interview

MDP 3DS 643.png

LMAO nah

MDP 3DS Substitute.png

So how did you end up getting in smogon/PS?

MDP 3DS 643.png

So I had started watching blunder/joey heatah fajitas towards the end of oras in early 2016 and through those videos I found a smaller german youtuber named dokkerich. He would narrate tour games and stuff and sometimes even call with people so I left a comment asking if he had a group chat or smth for these calls cuz they seemed rly chill and I was getting rly into pokemon at this time. He invited me to a skype group where I met some guys like BTB, DenisTheMenace, ayevon, patlop2307. We would ladder together, watch tour games, and eventually I ended up making a smogon in nov 2016

MDP 3DS Substitute.png

ah ok so you were of the ORAS era when you started, did you find yourself having any tour success in that time or did that really start later on?

MDP 3DS 643.png

No I was really bad early on lool, through 2017 and 2018 I would just play alot of side tours in the Tournament forums and spam managers on discord whenever a major tour came up. Id say my first "success" was winning some OU tour that gave points toward the OU circuit championship sometime end of 2018. I think that was the reason I was given a chance on the classiest early 2019 for spl 10, and when our ou was struggling early on they gave me a chance after midseason and I went 3-2, which was my first official tour experience

MDP 3DS Substitute.png

I ask a lot of people qs like that because im always curious how people make wcop teams or SPL teams lol, there isnt THAT many OLT qualifiers or OST winners to fill every spot but that makes a lot of sense

MDP 3DS 643.png

OHH wait no i got it wrong i forgot
It was actually olt V end of 2018 when they first introduced swiss
I remember I was in Ireland on summer vacation playing on my phone at my cousins wedding for my last game before cycle 3 closed and was so hype when I won but had to be rly quiet cuz I was in a church
i think i made poffs but got tossed by gama

MDP 3DS Substitute.png

LOL, still a lit year for insult
there was another interview I did where he played a big tour game on his phone and im still amazed that people can do that.

Talking of tours tho, it was 2018 or 2019 when you won Snake draft? (now SCL)

MDP 3DS 643.png

it was 2019 with the levis yeah

MDP 3DS Substitute.png

with a win against ima i remember

MDP 3DS 643.png

Yesss I remember really wanting to use mega hera for some reason and it ended up working rly well, I did get lucky i think with an hjk miss on his side but yea that game was a fun one

MDP 3DS Substitute.png

With an impressive record of 6-4 back then and a similar record of 6-3 in the recent SPL XIII, how has this tournament experience compared to your winning season back in 2019?

MDP 3DS 643.png

All team tours are pretty similar so what rly makes them memorable is the people you play with. Snake 3 i played with alot of dudes that I was in a jerk with, hayburner tace luthier(not in the jerk at the time) and our manager suapah aswell. Winning with your friends is always the best feeling so yeah i think snake 3 will always be the undisputed fav tour of mine but this spl I also met some great dudes so no regrets there

MDP 3DS Substitute.png

I have never heard the phrase "In a jerk with" consider that stolen
Do you think you can attribute your increase in skill to playing these tours? or do you think friendlies/ladder helped the most

MDP 3DS 643.png

Probably ladder honestly, I think starting off a ladder hero is always the best way to improve your fundamental skills: basic prediction, risk vs reward, sequences. You can play alot more ladder games than tour games so that also contributes to it but I think tours mostly helps your confidence and nerves not necessarily your "skills" which I think for every player plateaus at a certain point at the top level and teambuilding is what sets you apart.

MDP 3DS Substitute.png

so you dont buy into the whole "Ladder is trash" thing?

MDP 3DS 643.png

Nah, definitely not. Sure theres alot of players at the top of the ladder that may use some p cheesey styles, but theres also alot of great players you can get meaningful practice vs. Im p sure alot of top tour players all have ladder alts lol. I think the "ladder is trash" thing basically comes from ppl trying to use tour teams on ladder which doesnt usually work as the metas are very different (much more offense on ladder).

MDP 3DS Substitute.png

Would you mind sharing a team you think is pretty solid?

MDP 3DS 643.png

:Landorus-therian: :Tapu-fini: :Jirachi: :Magnezone: :Weavile: :Tapu-lele:(Click image for team)
dont build on my own rly but talah/suapah made this rly cool offense i used week 9 in spl, zone + threats will always be good
p much a standard offense but the rachi adds a nice twist. Healing wish mechanics this gen are rly cool and you can setup a lot of cool stuff with it. Eject lando is also rly nice to get in band weavile safely as there arent too many switch ins to him on most bulky offenses. Lele mostly shines vs other rly offensive teams as usually the scarf set cant break past fatter teams. Lastly fini has just always been a scary win con, altho more ppl prep for it now u can still get some auto win mus. Team is very momentum based so you have to be aggro early and getting lead right is very important. If you can get rocks up with rachi and slow u-turn out your usually in a rly good spot to break and the eject lando also catches alot of ppl off guard u-turning with their corv.

MDP 3DS Substitute.png

Very cool, shoutouts talah and suapah for a cool team! Thank you for your time Insult! Do you have any shoutouts youd like to give?
MDP 3DS 643.png

shouts lab and chads

---
Thanks to Insult for a great interview, make sure to leave any questions in the comments!​

I think i have written too many difficult questions :boi: so just pick the one/s you prefer to talk about:

1. Which gen of the ones you have played is the most competitive (in the sense of the best player winning the most)?

2. Which is your fav gen and why?

3. Which of your achievements in competitive mons do you value the most and why?

4. Do you feel that there is anything that is suspect worthy at the moment or would you ban something in general in gen8?

5. If you could change one thing about gen8 or mons in general, what would it be and why (changing a mechanic, removing a move, etc.)?

Thank you for reading me. o/

INSULT

and every day the paper boy brings more
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
I think i have written too many difficult questions :boi: so just pick the one/s you prefer to talk about:

1. Which gen of the ones you have played is the most competitive (in the sense of the best player winning the most)?

2. Which is your fav gen and why?

3. Which of your achievements in competitive mons do you value the most and why?

4. Do you feel that there is anything that is suspect worthy at the moment or would you ban something in general in gen8?

5. If you could change one thing about gen8 or mons in general, what would it be and why (changing a mechanic, removing a move, etc.)?

Thank you for reading me. o/
Thanks for the questions!
1. Honestly mons being mons i dont think i can answer one specifically as luck can always rob games from ppl but i think gen 8 has the most counterplay to bad mu/hax from what ive played.

2. gen 5, art design plays a pretty big part but i also love just how fast paced and momentum based it is as a meta

3. hmm if not my snake 3 trophy than prolly this invitational at the beginning of ss, i remember beating like abr > sw> tricking without dropping a game and winning from losers bracket

4. nah i dont think anything is even suspsect worthy in current meta, pretty balanced as of now

5. Id still like to see gen 8 without boots honestly if even tested for like a week. Other luck base mechanics i think are all rly essential except maybe freeze can be modified a bit (which i think is happening next gen).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)