Project Player Interview #14 : Adaam

Approved by UU moderation & inspired by Feliburn's project

After a 1.5 month break.. "Player Interview" is back ! This project will allow you to discover or re-discover some well known players of the UU community. Those people may be known thanks to their high-skilled level or their achievements on the strategic scene but also thanks to their dedication into the tier or within the community. Time to gossip !

Hey there Adaam and welcome for this return of Player Interview. How are you doing today ?

Sup Moute, I’m doing well this Halloweekend :D how about yourself ? Nice snake win btw

I'm doing fine even tho we're confined once again in France.. Oooh thanks that sweet (sweet.. halloween.. you got it ?!). Could you introduce yourself to the community for the one who don’t know you already ?

Sure thing. I’m Adaam/Adam and I’m a 23 year old software engineer living in Massachusetts. I have been on Smogon since ~2015 and decided to main UU since then since I thought OU was too mainstream. Plus the ORAS/XY UU community was awesome so I stuck with it ever since. Outside of mons I love to rock climb, read nonfiction/historical non fiction, and am a huge trivia nerd. My life goal is to make it on the American quiz show Jeopardy by the time I’m 30 (after that I’d probably peak).

That's good to know ! You’re best known on Smogon for winning the Grand Slam in 2019. Is this your greatest achievement on Smogon in your opinion ?

Id say so. I don’t want to sound cocky but I always thought I was a really good SM Uu builder and having that individual tour win as proof was really important to me to show that. That said, I owe half of my run to the friends who helped me with the other tiers by giving me awesome teams to carry me. The closest second best achievement would be the time I peaked ladder over pif (for a very brief amount of time)

I definitively agree with what you said and I don't think it's possible for a player to win the Grand Slam on his own by building every single team he's using in every tier..You also have a solid course in the current Snake Draft !

Snake has been good to be, shoutouts Sacri' for fathering me into the team tour scene.

Outside of Pokemon, do you play any other video games ?

I do! I own a switch and enjoy the classic Zelda/Mario/Mega Man franchises. Platformers in general are my favorites, and I grew up playing stuff like Super Mario World, Crash bandicoot, etc. Some recent favorites has been Shovel Knight and Hollow Knight but the latter is too damn hard for me to finish. Among Us also is lit. Im always looking to play some among us with my boys!

Among Us is really fun to play alongside friends yeah.. Let’s focus a bit on Underused if you don’t mind. In less than a day we’re going to get a brand new tier because of DLC2 shifts, how do you feel about the current metagame before it changes forever..?

I think current meta is the best it’s been all gen and will be sad to see it lost forever. Outside of Glowbro it’s very balanced and there’s a solid variety of Pokémon to choose from.

And are you reluctant or exciting about the new metagame we’re about to get ?

Definitely excited. As much as I enjoy this metagame, change is always fun and im excited to see how people adapt to such an unprecedented power creep. I mean Bulu in UU? Are you kidding me? Also Scizor :psycry:

Yeah Scizor is back to get his crown back, that's gonne be insane ! I know it’s a bit weird to ask for a team especially since we’re getting DLC2 shifts tomorrow but would you mind to share a UU team you made in this metagame ? Maybe one that you like a lot ?

I know this is the team I used against you but I promise this isn’t me flexing LOL. I really like the Bisharp + Slowbro + Rose core. The idea is Spikes + Bisharp heavily pressures the metagame and easily overloads Cobalion. With slowbro and noivern, there’s no danger with giving it a justified boost. Mimikyu is there as a mon to clean late game after Coba has been chipped and a soft vern check. This has been my favorite team I brought this snake imo

Don't worry lmao and yeah that team was really good against me..! Last question and the more important of all, what's your favorite fast food restaurant chains ?

I’m gonna make like a redcoat and say Burger King with Chic Fil A second. BK has fed my friends and I since we were tiny lads

And what's your guilty pleasure at BK ?

The 2 for $5 for two sandwiches (whopper + spicy chicken sandwich) is too good but ever since I discovered what a calorie is I stopped getting that. Also their 10 nuggets for $1.49 is robbery however I can’t look at them the same way ever since I tried to eat 100 in one sitting

LMAO what a beast ! Well thanks for those answers and your time Adaam, have a good day and I hope we'll see you tomorrow on the ladder for some chaos !

Any time Moute, it was a pleasure

Feel free to ask to Adaam any questions you want !
If you have some recommendations for an interview, feel free to DM me !

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
"I dOnT wAnNa SoUnD cOcKy" only reason you sound cocky is because you use discount Shiba teams like 20% of the time oml you'd be a genius if you didn't.

As for questions:

Top 5 SM UU builders in or not in any order?

Why don't you stop trying to being a humble pussy bitch and own up to your cockiness?

Favorite game/series you've played? Or really just any that stand out to you?

Why is Cresselia a piece of rat bastard pocket monster?

Favorite song from Aladdin?

Favorite uu meta we've seen so far in ss?

Any hot takes abt literally anything you wanna get off your chest, mons related or not doesn't matter?

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
If the shifts weren't coming and the current meta stayed for a while, would u want to suspect/ban Galarbro? Are there any other changes you would make to the current meta, which many people have referred to as boring/stale/etc?

Can you talk a bit about your mentality during the Grand Slam you won -- during the opens, playoffs, finals, etc.? Winning an individual tour is a huge challenge; props to you for the trophy, and I'd love to hear more about how u felt during that run.

============

Burger King as favorite food is insane, I put it on the Arby's tier of places you see everywhere but would never eat at. Legit never heard of someone going there. Have u tried their number 15?

Do u have any pets? Im a big fan of dogs myself but all pets are super cute

What color (+ hat) do u main in Among Us?

============

Was really fun teaming with you this Snake, excited to see u do more great things in UU in the future '-' (such as beating up hs tomorrow)

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
"I dOnT wAnNa SoUnD cOcKy" only reason you sound cocky is because you use discount Shiba teams like 20% of the time oml you'd be a genius if you didn't.

As for questions:

Top 5 SM UU builders in or not in any order?

Lol I see you fishing for compliments...but my top 5 besides myself are CBU, Pearl, Christo, pif, and you.

Why don't you stop trying to being a humble pussy bitch and own up to your cockiness?

Never, I always make like Kendrick and be humble.

Favorite game/series you've played? Or really just any that stand out to you?

My favorite standalone game is either BotW of Red Dead Redemption. BotW's world was, for lack of better word, breathtaking, and the amount of content kept me busy for all of winter break. RDR's story had the most impact on me in any game and nothing else has come close in making my jaw drop in terms of start to finish storyline.

Why is Cresselia a piece of rat bastard pocket monster?

Because this shitmon is OHKOd by Toxic and doesn't even 5HKO Pheromosa. Scarf Lunar Dance is heat tho.

Favorite song from Aladdin?

Prince Ali handsome is he, Ali Ababwa....

Favorite uu meta we've seen so far in ss?

Current meta IMO for the reasons I stated in the interview. Second would be with Toxtricity I miss him.

Any hot takes abt literally anything you wanna get off your chest, mons related or not doesn't matter?

Mons: Scizor was not broken in SM and I will die on that hill. Same with Mega Venusaur, I don't think it was any stronger than Sciz or Latias and suffered from being a new drop rather than an early one. I think if Sciz or Lati dropped at the time Mega Venusaur did, it'd also be banned.

Non-mons: Family feud is a stupid gameshow with broken scoring.
I don't have any questions for you but I just want you to know that my life is loads better with you in it.

This is one of the nicest things I've been told, you're the best <3.

If the shifts weren't coming and the current meta stayed for a while, would u want to suspect/ban Galarbro? Are there any other changes you would make to the current meta, which many people have referred to as boring/stale/etc?

Yes, I would ban it. QCQD is just rng cheese and CM + Resist Berry is nigh unbreakable unless you run a physical Ghost-type. I had Mamoswine fail to OHKO it and die to Scald. It's ridiculous.

As for other changes, there is nothing I would want to free from UUBL right now. That said, UU is in desperate need of Steel-types because Noivern and Sylveon are just so tough to deal with. If I could I would free Jirachi and give it a different ability, but that's obviously not possible. I don't think the meta is stale though, it seems like people just always complain about the current gen meta.

Can you talk a bit about your mentality during the Grand Slam you won -- during the opens, playoffs, finals, etc.? Winning an individual tour is a huge challenge; props to you for the trophy, and I'd love to hear more about how u felt during that run.

In the individual opens: I would just pick a random solid team from my builder and hope for the best. However, during later UU open rounds, I would scout my opponent if and only if they were a fellow mainer. Otherwise, it's pointless to scout someone who is not building.

For playoffs: for each new opponent, I would use a new team in each tier, but again, I wouldn't scout them. I don't think anyone built their own teams except for the one tier the player "mained." With so many games to play, the time is much better spent picking an overall solid team and getting comfy with it than trying to build a good MU. This is different from how I approach BO1s in team tours, where I prepare a strong scout and build specifically for each new opponent.

============

Burger King as favorite food is insane, I put it on the Arby's tier of places you see everywhere but would never eat at. Legit never heard of someone going there. Have u tried their number 15?

The last thing you want in your meal is somebody else's foot...

But I just really enjoy their burgers and think they are a victim of groupthink. A lot of my stanning comes from the fact that there is one 0.5 miles from my childhood home so I would go there a lot.

Do u have any pets? Im a big fan of dogs myself but all pets are super cute

I wish :(. But in the distant future I will own a Siberian Husky and name him Atlas.

What color (+ hat) do u main in Among Us?

Cyan + pirate hat baby
============

Was really fun teaming with you this Snake, excited to see u do more great things in UU in the future '-' (such as beating up hs tomorrow)

Loved teaming with you too dude, glad to see you finally on the sheet ;).
What do you like most about the one and only butter dawg?

The fact that he has da butter on it . Butter dawg

Bigger fan lyd

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
What kind of music do you like? Strangely enough I don't think I've ever heard you talk about it.

How do you maintain such a (seemingly) positive attitude towards Pokemon as a whole? I like to think I'm able to hold back the salt, but it's rare to see someone take an approach that's both competitive and serious yet still nonchalant like you do.

Can you fill this out? In addition, what's your favourite Pokemon overall?

You mentioned being an avid rock climber. Does it bother you that the move "Rock Climb" was removed in the generational shift?

How many fingers am I holding up at the time of writing this?

Much like Accel this last one isn't a question but I just wanted to say that you really have made my time here significantly better. You're a wonderful and positive presence and I hope you maintain that in every area of life, not just Smogon. Thanks for being a great friend to myself and to others around you. <3

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
How do you stay so nice and humble?

What are your goals in Pokemon?

Why do you call Juuno "sister"?

How much do you think of Pokemon is luck? Of skill? Can Pokemon be fairly divided up into luck vs skill?

Why doesn't HS want to play you in Snake?

What are some moments you're proud of in Smogon besides what you mentioned?

What's your favorite meal?

What do you do in your typical day at work?

Is it possible to obtain worldly satisfaction anywhere close to being a member of the Muslim Meme Monolith or am I destined to forever live as a second class human?

Can I take credit for popularizing the use of "Chadaam"?

How many times did your snake team collectively call IP a furry this season?

Actual question time, you're a wildly consistent player and seem to have one of the most genuinely positive mindsets on the site. How do you keep the good attitude toward the game without getting stressed/upset over it like so many others do?

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
with all the halloween candy you might be getting can I see a pour some sugar on me pt 2?

who is your favourite historical figure?

have you thought about making the jump to ou like sacri to get more tournament play like olt/stour?

love the memes and the good vibes.

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
how are you?

I am doing well sir.
What kind of music do you like? Strangely enough I don't think I've ever heard you talk about it.

In typical white male fashion, my favorite genre is rock and its many forms (punk, alt, classic, folk etc). To give a better idea, I'd say my top 5 bands/artists are The Black Keys, The Clash, Daft Punk, Billy Joel, and The Fratellis. Spotify said my most played song is this banger.

BUT I also am fan of soul/jazz/R&B classics. To name some for all the fellow boomers out there I enjoy Sam Cooke, Ben E. King, Ray Charles, Dion, Otis Redding, and many more but I will stop rambling now.

How do you maintain such a (seemingly) positive attitude towards Pokemon as a whole? I like to think I'm able to hold back the salt, but it's rare to see someone take an approach that's both competitive and serious yet still nonchalant like you do.

Don't get me wrong, I get upset over losses too, but you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Complaining or even worse, insulting your opponent only leaves bad tastes in people's mouths, and it is not going to undo the loss you just took. What is important is reflecting on what we did wrong during the game, improving on it for the next, and not repeating the same mistake. Playing mons is fun, or at least is supposed to be, so letting losses stress us out only leads to quicker burnout.

Can you fill this out? In addition, what's your favourite Pokemon overall?

You might have guessed but Scizor has been my favorite since I was a kid. The flawless design just struck me as the coolest thing ever and I've tried my hardest to catch a Scyther in every Pokemon game possible. I even have a Scyther sticker on my laptop.

You mentioned being an avid rock climber. Does it bother you that the move "Rock Climb" was removed in the generational shift?

The more insulting move was making the move absolutely trash. 85% accuracy? Really??

How many fingers am I holding up at the time of writing this?

It's always three.

Much like Accel this last one isn't a question but I just wanted to say that you really have made my time here significantly better. You're a wonderful and positive presence and I hope you maintain that in every area of life, not just Smogon. Thanks for being a great friend to myself and to others around you. <3

Thanks a lot for the kind words, it really does mean a lot to me. You rock :heart:

How do you stay so nice and humble?

As cliche as it sounds I try to live by the golden rule. Just don't be a dick and people like you a lot more.

What are your goals in Pokemon?

My goal was to win slam when I first joined because of how easily accessible the tournament was, and I thought the format was super fun (you play so many games!). Now I'd like to manage a UUPL team win because the collective hype around it is incredible despite being a low tier unofficial team tour. I also want @vivalospride to go 11-0 in SPL.

Why do you call Juuno "sister"?

In Islam, everyone is a brother or sister to me.

How much do you think of Pokemon is luck? Of skill? Can Pokemon be fairly divided up into luck vs skill?

Ignoring the RNG is naive. Luck definitely plays a factor but not as much as people always clamor. Yes, crits happen. Misses happen. Secondary effects happen. But as players we have ways to mitigate them from affecting the game. Hax will still cost a couple games, but long term, if you truly are outplaying your opponents, you will win the more games than you lose. I'd say the biggest frustration is the small sample size of games played that allows RNG to create more variance. Even in a BO3, getting haxed once is huge since having to win 2 games down 0-1 is a big hole to crawl out of against a good opponent.

Why doesn't HS want to play you in Snake?

Because he doesn't want to be seen in public with be :pensive:

What are some moments you're proud of in Smogon besides what you mentioned?

Managing the UUPL Ladies to finals was a great experience for me since it was my first time in a management role and we were successful. I learned how damn difficult it is to maintain a solid leadership role for 11 straight weeks, and its super easy to just be lax about it and have your team slip up a few games. Also, teaming with you and Ramolost in the Trio Tour was the greatest decision in my life even if Ramo is a heartless bastard who betrayed Ladder Matters.

What's your favorite meal?

Medium rare steak with grilled asparagus or beef tartare with pita, hummus, radishes, and mint.

What do you do in your typical day at work?

As a software engineer your overall goal is to improve the product your company sells. This is done in two ways, either fixing existing defects/bugs with the code or adding new features to it. At a high level, my day is filled with doing those two tasks. That said, the time spent actually coding is very little. The hard part is either tracking down where that defect is in the entire codebase, designing the new feature, and testing your code. I probably type more keys on discord during the work day than actual code.
where do you get your impeccable sense of humor from

When god created me he must have maxed out my humor and balanced me out by dropping my IQ to room temperature levels.

will you ever try for something as daunting as the nuggets again

I own "Meet your maker" hot sauce which is ~5 million scovilles. I think there's potential there...
Is it possible to obtain worldly satisfaction anywhere close to being a member of the Muslim Meme Monolith or am I destined to forever live as a second class human?

Literally no. If you want to know what it's like, convert brother.

Can I take credit for popularizing the use of "Chadaam"?

I think so. I've been called Dadam, Adamn, and Saddam before, but you were the first to do Chadaam.

How many times did your snake team collectively call IP a furry this season?

I just checked, there were 12 instances of the word "furry" but he has the furry tag which has been invoked many times as well (often by him).

Actual question time, you're a wildly consistent player and seem to have one of the most genuinely positive mindsets on the site. How do you keep the good attitude toward the game without getting stressed/upset over it like so many others do?

See my answer above for Lily. I will add stepping back when the game gets frustrating is also a good idea. I did quit twice after losing slam before LOL.
with all the halloween candy you might be getting can I see a pour some sugar on me pt 2?

I am thinking of doing something like this instead

who is your favourite historical figure?

Genghis Khan's military achievements blow my mind so he's probably my favorite, despite all the not-so-good parts about him. I also love everything about the Wars of the Roses so the people involved in their get a special mention.

have you thought about making the jump to ou like sacri to get more tournament play like olt/stour?

Maybe post-DLC, but current meta OU sucks so much that I have zero interest in getting into it.

love the memes and the good vibes.

Love you more.
who do you fuckin hate in smogon

Finchinator no doubt.

whos the shittiest player uve played

In 5 hours, my answer to this question will be HYDREIGON SPECS.
omae wa mou shindeiru?

Nani?!

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)