Project Player Interview #12 : Juno

Approved by UU moderation & inspired by Feliburn's project

Welcome guys in the "UU Player Interview", a project where you'll be able to discover or re-discover some well known players of the UU community. Those people may be known thanks to their high-skilled level or their achievements on the strategic scene but also thanks to their dedication into the tier or within the community. Time to gossip !

Alola Juno I'm glad to have you here today for player interview. How are you doing ?

bonjour from toronto, and i'm doing well. thanks for asking, how are you holding up yourself?

Yeah I'm doing fine, a bit tired but otherwise feeling great ! Can you talk a bit about yourself ?

sure. i'm 19 years old, from quebec, canada. growing up i didn't really understand english a lot up until a few years ago where i moved to toronto. obviously the schools there have english classes so i grew to learn it more, though i'm still not entirely comfortable with it so please forgive me if my english isn't the best. though covid has pretty much ruined most of my schedule i'm trying my best to deal with it. i'm currently a sophomore in college and studying biology, more specifically zoology. we now have online classes and its still a lot to adjust to but i'm trying my best to get through all of this.

Oh I didn't know you were from Quebec.. bienvenue chère amie francophone ! By the way how did you discovered Smogon ?

bonjour à toi aussi. the story of how i discovered smogon + ps is a pretty boring one. i think i discovered it in like 2013-2014 when i was a lot younger and was completely innocent to the entire competitive scene. i pretty much just fooled around in some untiers until late 2017 or so when i decided to hang out in the uu room. i found it pretty fun and i liked the people there. i wasn't originally going to make a smogon account but i discovered the vr and i thought "hey, why not make a post?" so i registered an account, with a name that people still meme about with me to this day "D2P2 HD." for explanation, this was back when people thought second versions were a real thing that would happen again after bw2, and after seeing someone named B2W2 i decided to take a little inspiration. i registered D2P2 on ps in 2014 but i've long since ditched the name by then. in case you're wondering about the hd on my smogon name, the original D2P2 was taken. anyway i familiarized myself with the community, memed on the ladder a bit, etc etc. eventually i got a name change to Juuno to a. join the "ps name is your real name" club and b. so that my name wasn't cringy anymore. and that's the story of how i got my name.

And now you're trying to get rid of that extra "u" for Juno hehe. What do you think of Smogon overall ? What did the community means to you ?

well, i actually already got rid of it, haha. overall i think its pretty undeniable that the smogon community feels on edge atm with some of the recent events. obviously not gonna name them here but some of the people involved in particular were personal friends or acquaintances of mine and that impacted me and what i think of myself in general. as for the uu community, i've always appreciated it. when i first joined the room the staff were very welcoming and they helped me with a lot of things straight from the start. nowadays i think that the uu staff may not be the same as they were when i first joined, but they're still kind and very helpful to new players that i see. partially i do feel guilty for not being as active in the room as a mod should be, however i'll hopefully be working on my shaky activity. the uu community in general is great though, and this uuwc even got people from other tiers to join as well, which i think is a good sign.

Yeah despite all the dramas, UUWC is overall a great thing for the community. From 1 to 10 what level would you give yourself in Underused ?

I actually don't really like ranking myself since no matter what you look at it, it'll seem biased in a way. rank too high and you seem arrogant or overconfident, rank low and you look highly unconfident. mini-rant aside, i'd give myself a 5, right in the middle. i actually haven't been playing the tier too much because personally i think it has plenty of issues besides the obvious jirachi dog kyurem hatt etc. (though the latter two are leaving) however i think my playing skill is fine enough to still succeed if i did try to build a team or if i was passed one to do something like suspect reqs or facing someone else. i've actually been playing ru for a bit and its been pretty fun, the tier is much more diverse and there isn't much of an omnipresent mon like the other tiers with clefable / jirachi / miltank (i may be wrong on this if any nu players see this i'm sorry if i'm wrong) / stunfisk. but yeah, i think my building skills for the tier atm may be warped or just plain bad but i think my playing is fine enough.

From what I've seen you're not wrong for NU, Miltank is a staple yeah but maybe not as much as Clefable or Jirachi for sure. But yeah it's nice to play other tiers sometimes, I'm enjoying a lot NU right now. Could you tell me what's your favorite Pokemon ?

generally i don't usually pick favorites since i'm a pretty indecisive person in general, however i do have a few candidates. milotic is probably the one i'm most known for, with my post ranking it to s rank a while ago. besides a competitive standpoint its just a very pretty pokemon and those tend to be my favorites. i remember always being sad when i was younger from my dozens of attempts to catch a milotic in the bw postgame failing lol. umbreon is another favorite of mine, and what's not to love - it's a cat (i think.) its cute and its a dark type, one of my favorite types. some of my other close contenders like houndoom and absol are also dark types so i guess its my favorite type. ninetales and suicune are also pretty great. if i had a gun to my head and was forced to pick a favorite of all time i think it would be espeon. i've always loved its design, it was one of the first shinies i had back in bw2 that i ran into completely unintentionally as an eevee, and i used it in most of my hgss runs as well. it's even in my signature lol. some other honorable mentions are raikou, dragapult, primarina, and frosmoth.

What about the ones you "hate" the most ?

well i don't have much mons i hate from an objective standpoint, though there are some mons who's design i dislike. i've always found stuff like barbaracle's design pretty unappealing and it also doesn't help with how annoying it is to face. a lot of the mons that i "hate" in a way are from a competitive standpoint in fact. pretty much every spinner has made it onto my most hated list from how much ladder spams them. coalossal gets a dishonorable mention for also having access to spikes, and while forretress does as well, at least it can be chipped by hazards and repeated switch-ins. coalossal is much harder to chip due to boots. besides that, i think calm mind mons are my worst nightmare. stuff like reuniclus and necrozma obviously need no introduction to people who played the rillaboom meta of ss uu, but others like sigilyph in ru and seed musharna in pu before thwackey rose were pretty unbearable to deal with. they force you to actually use your brain if your usual answers (darkest lariat, haze mons, etc) also have to check something else in the match.

Yeah I see what you mean. I used to hate things like Suicune back in ORAS because of Calm Mind being so dumb on it.. I saw that you often change your profil picture on Smogon. Most of the time it's related to animes..Do you watch animes a lot ?

i will proudly admit that i do watch animes. thanks to covid pretty much ruining ever going outside as a pastime i've needed to find other ways to not drive myself insane. the only cost is being called a weeb by pretty much everyone every day, but it's still better than being called a furry. jokes aside, the most recent anime i watched is koisuru asteroid, or asteroid in love. i won't spoil too much about it in case anyone wants to watch it or is currently watching it but i definitely recommend giving it a watch if you're bored! it's sweet and has good animation to boot.

I'll not cast a stone to you, I have more than 30 different animes to watch lmao. I'll go check your anime tho. Last but not least, do you have a team that you could share with us ?

sadly, i don't have uu teams readily available, as i haven't played the tier in a while. however, here is a team that i built with the ultra nerd Renny

LMAO nice one ! Well that's all for today, thanks a lot for your time Juno.

np, thanks for having me!

Feel free to ask to Juno any questions you want !
If you have some recommendations for an interview, feel free to DM me !

I thought smogon was a safe haven, only to be stick bugged once again. My disapointment is immesurable and my day is ruined. Anyways question time

1. Speaking of NU, what are your thoughts on some of the more "centralizing" mons. (Decid, Tox) I find it dumb how Toxicroak's still NU despite it being great in RU, but the tiers holding onto the piece of trash (not you Garbodor) Jolteon.
2. Where did your hate for spinners stem from?
3. What's keeping your interest in playing tiers other than UU?

I thought smogon was a safe haven, only to be stick bugged once again. My disapointment is immesurable and my day is ruined. Anyways question time
My apologies.

1. Speaking of NU, what are your thoughts on some of the more "centralizing" mons. (Decid, Tox) I find it dumb how Toxicroak's still NU despite it being great in RU, but the tiers holding onto the piece of trash (not you Garbodor) Jolteon.
In my opinion both of them are manageable atm. Decidueye's speed tier makes it much easier to deal with, especially for offensive teams. On defensive teams it can be annoying, especially with limited defensive counterplay, but cores like Miltank + Elde + Poisonvally are fine at dealing with it from my experience. Toxicroak's been a menace since the beginning of the gen and I feel like there hasn't been a point where I'd consider it broken or unhealthy. Offensively you have Rotom-Fan, Ninjask, Psychic Fangs Silvally-Poison, etc that can pressure it. For more defensive teams you have stuff like Quagsire. Otherwise I think stuff like Alolan Persian, while not centralizing, are just very good in the metagame and feel like they're on a ton of teams.

2. Where did your hate for spinners stem from?
Anyone who ladders hates spin mons - they're on 90% of low ladder teams and they just provide nothing except "role compression" and annoying you as much as possible.

3. What's keeping your interest in playing tiers other than UU?
If the metagame is bad, then I usually just move to another one. This applies here as well, ever since the August shifts I just lost interest in the tier since it felt too matchup fishy with a ton of things to prep for. I think the interest stems from learning new metagames and how they compare to the one you'd usually play.

How are you Juno
I am well, thank you for asking :psyglad:

What’s your favorite mega evolution/G-max design-wise?
I'll answer both. My favorite mega evolution is Absol, (CBU pull up) its just got a good design and watching CBU always own people with it was cool as well. From a competitive standpoint Altaria was my favorite mega back in SM UU. I'm really not a fan of the G-max designs, they just feel very overboard and I wish they kept Megas around instead. I suppose that if I had to pick one it would be Eevee.

What's your favorite food and dessert??
I don't really have a favorite food - there's simply too much good ones to choose from. I like fruit salad a lot and I wouldn't be human if I didn't like pizza too. As for dessert I suppose I'd choose ice cream. I don't really eat dessert much though.

To conclude this post that was way longer than it had any business to be, here's some cool people since I forgot to include it in the original interview. I appreciate you all <3

First of all, sorry for haxing you in UUFPL in that DPP game.

We haven't really gotten to know each other very well outside causually chatting in discord, but you seem really chill and I'd like to sit down and chat with you sometimes! Anyways, on to actual questions lol.

What's your favorite artist? Favorite album?

Why does Estarossa keep the wrong opinion about Mega Venusaur in SMUU?

Thanks for your work and time!

Hmmm... I'd like to try my hand at maybe chatting with you...

How are you doing so far?

What do you think of Mega Beedrill in UU?

If you haven't tried other metas outside of UU, what would you say has been preventing you from doing so, outside of usage stats messing everything up?

What is your favorite eeveelution? Your least favorite?

Thoughts on Inteleon?

Thoughts on the stick bug meme?

Thoughts on the henry stickmin distraction dance meme?

What would you say has been the least favorite part of your USUM UU career? What about your SS UU career?

Lyssa

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
DPL Champion
Who builds better RU teams, you or Averardo ?
When are you gonna l2p?
What do you think of mudsdale?
What's your favorite "favorite" question?
From 1 to 10, how would you rate hs ' memes?
How many PS alts did you register in the last week?
Thoughts on Competitive Milotic and why It's bad?
Who has the best avatars on the site?
Favorite SUL moments?
What do you think of my 300th post?
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⠉⣉⢹⡏⢉⣩⣏⠉⣩⣿⣿⠋⣉⠙⣏⠉⣉⡏⢹⡏⢉⠉⣿⠉⡏⢹⣿⣿⠉⣉⠉⡏⢹⡏⢹⡏⢉⠉⣿⠉⡉⢹⡏⢉⣹⡏⢉⡉⢻⣿⣿⠉⣿⣿⠉⡉⢹⡏⢹⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⠀⡟⢺⡇⠘⢻⣿⠀⣿⣿⣿⣆⠘⢿⣿⠀⣿⡇⢸⡇⢸⣶⣿⠀⠀⣾⣿⣿⠀⢉⠠⡇⢸⡇⢸⡇⣿⠒⣿⠀⡟⢺⡇⠘⢻⡇⢸⡇⢸⣿⣿⠀⣿⣿⠀⡇⢸⡇⢸⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⠀⡷⢸⡇⢸⣿⣿⠀⣿⣿⣿⠉⠷⠀⣿⠀⣿⡇⢸⡇⢸⠁⣽⠀⡆⢸⣿⣿⠀⣿⠀⡇⠸⠇⢸⡇⢿⠀⣿⠀⡇⢸⡇⠸⣿⡇⢸⠇⢸⣿⣿⠀⣿⣿⠀⡇⢸⡇⢸⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣦⣴⣾⣧⣤⣴⣿⣤⣿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣾⣿⣦⣿⣷⣼⣷⣤⣴⣿⣶⣿⣤⣿⣿⣦⣤⣶⣿⣦⣴⣾⣷⣤⣶⣿⣦⣴⣾⣧⣤⣴⣧⣤⣴⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣿⣦⣤⣾⣧⣤⣴⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡛⠿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠀⠀⢉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠟⣋⣥⣶⣾⡟⣴⣿⣷⡄⠈⠛⠿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠟⣉⣤⣶⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⣼⣿⣿⠟⣡⣶⣦⠀⠀⠉⠛⠛⠛⠛⠛⠉⠉⣉⣉⣽⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⣡⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⣰⣿⡿⣡⣾⣿⣿⣿⢁⢸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣶⡼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢏⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢳⣿⢏⣴⣿⣿⣿⣿⢃⡿⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⣡⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢧⣿⣿⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇⣾⢱⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣤⣬⣉⣉⣉⡉⠛⠛⠛⠻⠿⠿⠿⠿⠟⣵⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⣾⣿⡇⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠇⣱⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣶⣶⣶⣦⣤⣤⣤⣬⣍⣉⣉⣉⡛⠛⠛⠙⠛⠻⠹⠿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣶⣶⣶⣶⣶⣦⣤⣬⣭⣍⣉⣙⡛⠛⠛⠿⠿⠿⠿⢿⡧⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣶⣶⣶⣤⣤⣬⣭⣍⣉⣉⣙⡛⠛⠛⠿⠿⠿⠿⠿

1. In life, do you see yourself more as a square or circle, and why?

2. What are your thoughts on Polteagiest in the tier in terms of unhealthy or uncompetitiveness?

3. What are some games you enjoy outside of Pokemon?

4. What are some of your favourite things about Toronto (events, activities, restaurants, etc.)?

I'm gonna ask again the same questions but, ... i have to :messi:

- Your fav and less like anime ? Why ?
- Is "asteroid in love" really about yuri ?
- What is better in your opinion : Manga or Anime ?
- Which member of the UU staff is the biggest Weeb in your opinion ?

Ok now, some serious questions :

- Do you have a particular goal on smogon / showdown ?
- What do you want to do in th futur ?
- Fav youtuber ?

More long posts

What's your favorite artist? Favorite album?
Gonna be boring here and say I don't really have one. I usually listen to songs from mons or other animes - to not make this as short I'll just say that PMD Sky has my favorite OST out of any mons game. There's obvious ones like Primal Dialga and Temporal Tower, but Blizzard Island is great too.

Why does Estarossa keep the wrong opinion about Mega Venusaur in SMUU?
Fixed that for you.

How are you doing so far?
In what terms you mean I don't know, but I'll try to answer this anyway. I'm doing fine, could be better but certainly could be worse. If you mean in terms of playing skill I've been working on trying to get better.

What do you think of Mega Beedrill in UU?
It's okay, I guess. Against teams without something to punish U-Turn or Toxic Spikes if you're into that it's good, but in 9/10 of matchups it just feels like deadweight. You're just better off using a superior mega unless you really want to build around Beedrill for some reason.

If you haven't tried other metas outside of UU, what would you say has been preventing you from doing so, outside of usage stats messing everything up?
I can't really give a good answer to this question as I've pretty much played every main meta outside of UU, even OU. The main thing that would prevent me for doing so is if all the teams look or are the same and if the meta is just stale in general.

What is your favorite eeveelution? Your least favorite?
Espeon is my favorite Pokemon so I obviously have to choose it for my favorite Eeveelution. Jolteon is probably my least favorite from how boring it is and how its always terrorized the RU ladder despite being bad.

Thoughts on Inteleon?
Bad design, bad mon, (in UU at least, in RU its actually good) and overall one of my least favorite starters. In general I dislike the SS starters from how unappealing their designs are, and all of them just being monotyped like the Johto starters doesn't add much.

Thoughts on the stick bug meme?
hs kept spamming it but now he moved to monki flip. It's funny when executed properly but other times you see it coming.

Thoughts on the henry stickmin distraction dance meme?
Dunno, I got it in my recommended once because I kept looking at stick bug memes. It's okay I guess.

What would you say has been the least favorite part of your USUM UU career? What about your SS UU career?
Towards the end of the gen USUM building got really boring and I kept trying to get builds that weren't the same concept out, with little success. As for SS losing in open r1 was pretty humiliating but the tier got bad after that so I consider it a win.

Who builds better RU teams, you or Averardo ?
Ave hasn't l2p yet but neither have I so I'm just going to say its Lilburr

When are you gonna l2p?
I could ask the same to you.

What do you think of mudsdale?
1598544643784.png

What's your favorite "favorite" question?
My favorite "favorite" question is when I'm not asked favorite questions :psyduck:

From 1 to 10, how would you rate hs ' memes?
l2p/10

How many PS alts did you register in the last week?
(l)2(p)

Thoughts on Competitive Milotic and why It's bad?
Its good in RU '-'

Who has the best avatars on the site?
CBU cause he keeps the same god damn one

Favorite SUL moments?
If I answered this question I would get cancelled so instead I'll just say the moment hs introduced me to stick bug

What do you think of my 300th post?
Get a better one :psysly:

1. In life, do you see yourself more as a square or circle, and why?
I suppose I see myself as a circle. I have no sides to me :blobsad:

2. What are your thoughts on Polteagiest in the tier in terms of unhealthy or uncompetitiveness?
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8uu-514734

3. What are some games you enjoy outside of Pokemon?
I enjoy Fire Emblem the most, though I only play the GBA games nowadays. Paper Mario TTYD is also one of my favorite games of all time and I still play it to this day. I don't play the Puyo Puyo games too often but they're enjoyable when I need something to make myself suffer. Okami's pretty great as well.

4. What are some of your favourite things about Toronto (events, activities, restaurants, etc.)?
I think I like (or well, liked...) the events the most. There was a lot of opportunities to talk to people you didn't know and friends in one place. A lot of the events I used to go to have stopped thanks to covid but they were fun while they lasted.

- Your fav and less like anime ? Why ?
Gonna be boring again and say I don't have a favorite or a least favorite. I find My Hero Academia overrated personally, I did watch a lot of it but I was never quite invested into it.

- Is "asteroid in love" really about yuri ?
Don't want to spoil anything in case anyone here wants to watch it, but I will say that its not officially confirmed.

- What is better in your opinion : Manga or Anime ?
It depends on the manga / anime, but generally I prefer anime if it has good animation.

- Which member of the UU staff is the biggest Weeb in your opinion ?
Tie between Estarossa and Lilburr

- Do you have a particular goal on smogon / showdown ?
Not really, I just enjoy playing the game and talking to my friends. I guess getting into an official tour would be cool but /shrug.

- What do you want to do in th futur ?
Well that depends on if this whole pandemic gets settled or not. I always wanted to be a biologist or a veterinarian.

- Fav youtuber ?
I don't really watch youtubers so I can't answer this question very well. Sorry :[

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)