SV OU Physical Valiant with Gholdengo and Glimmora

I have been playing SV OU for a bit, so my team has been crafted for every role, unfortunately, I haven't seen much success with only a 53% win rate. I just kinds want improvements to improve battle prowess (BTW don't use Great Tusk in the team as an improvement as I have a moral opposition to using it).

The Team

Rocky (Glimmora) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Mortal Spin
- Sludge Bomb
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock

Glimmora, for a while was considered the best lead in SV OU. Its Toxic Debris ability plus hazard setup made it incredibly powerful. Nowadays, thanks to the popularity of Satan Great Tusk, Glimmora has fallen out of fashion. However, I can use this to my advantage as it can Headlong Rush as I setup, lowering its defences for another teammate to finish it. I mostly chose Spikes, Stealth Rock and Mortal Spin for hazard setup and clean-up. Sludge Bomb is the final move because it is a powerful special stab that has a good chance of poisoning.

Belgrade (Ceruledge) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Bitter Blade
- Shadow Sneak

Ceuledge is a powerful force in OU with this Focus Dance set. This sweeper set has a niche setup but with a Lucifer Great Tusk that has Headlong Rush, the setup can be done easily. Basically the opposing Tusk uses a physical move, activating Weak Armor and the Sash, while Ceruledge uses Swords Dance. It is now at +2 Atk and Spe and then the sweeping begins. Unfortunately for this set, Walking Wake is a menace to OU, almost as pure evil as Great Tusk and it completely shuts down this set as it quad resists Bitter Blade and can tank Shadow Sneak and Close Combat. Luckily, this isn't the only Pokemon Wake threatens, why else would it be currently suspected for an OU ban.

Ace King (Kingambit) @ Leftovers
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch

This is an ultimate sweeper, coming out after every other member has fainted and hits hard, especially after a Swords Dance. +2 Supreme Overlord Kowtow Cleave slices through everything that isn't a resist (even non-Iron Defence Corviknight). This is a standard set that hits hard and sweeps teams. Not much more to see here.

Galgaraze (Iron Valiant) @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Spirit Break
- Close Combat

While special and mixed sets are more popular with Valiant, I haven't seen much success with them. This set however, I have used hyper extensively and swept with. The Booster Energy makes Valiant outspeed everything that isn't another Booster Energy Valiant or Roaring Moon. It also helps counter Wake, also known as Devil Incarnate.
Also don't use special or mixed Valiant in your improvement because as I said before, I've had more success with physical sets.

Drago (Dragapult) @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Phantom Force
- Sucker Punch
- U-turn

This is another Pokemon tailor made to outspeed and counter Walking Wake. It is fast as all others and can kill substituters with Infiltrator. Despite this, I only really use Dragon Darts because Phantom Force can be countered easily and I don't get much Pokemon Sucker Punch and U-turn would help fight against. This makes it not much like an actual member and more like a Pokemon to fill the team slot.

Cheese Man (Gholdengo) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Make It Rain
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

Corviknight was such a problem for the team that I just added Gholdengo to counter it. It blocks Defog with Good as Gold, its immune to Iron Defence Body Press. It can safely setup on it. It also helps wear down Great Tusk because they usually Earthquake or Headlong Rush after the Air Balloon is gone, which is when I tera Flying. It is also why I dont use Tera Blast on Dragapult, I ended up terastallizing Gholdengo more than Tera Blast.

The reason glimora is one of the best leads is because of how versatile it is. Get in, set up some stuff, die. With this in mind, you have tox debris, I would choose one more hazard (rocks is my preferred), and load up the rest of the moves with attacks (I.E. Sludge wave, power gem, earth power, energy ball, dazzling gleam). Then run 252spatk 252spe (spe nature) so you can set up some rocks, maybe some toxic deris and/ or ko a mon thanks to focus sash + your good spatk stat. Tusk has always been in the top three most used mons this gen, so that hasnt changed. But with a glimora that can ko it with dazzling gleam/ energy ball you can at least fight back.

Ceruledge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Weak Armor
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 232 HP / 48 Def / 228 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Shadow Sneak
- Bitter Blade
- Taunt

Try this ceruledge build on for size. That way you have more maneuverability and don't have another mon that dies to common priority. But I dont typically run/ run into ceruledge so what do I know...

I don't have much else to comment on the rest of your team (you know your synergy better than I do). But the biggest reason why corv is such a problem is that you don't run special attackers. You had to (like you said) with ghold, but once ghold goes down you're SOL. And ghold can get walled pretty easily by common spdef mons. So I would say, even though physical valient has been doing well for you, try the special variety. That way you have more to play with and more to pivot to.

This is a great team, however there a couple of issues I can see.
1.) Why Hasty Nature with 4 SpA EVs? It has no special attacks and should run Jolly Nature with 4 EVs in HP/Def/SpD.
2.) Sludge Bomb is unnecessary on Glimmora. It already has a move that guarantees poison. If you want STAB then go for Sludge Wave or if you want to end Great Tusk, then give it Tera Grass Energy Ball, as that will annihilate Great Tusk. Like Motor Hawk says, getting rid of Spikes is a great way to help your team. Giving it Earth Power is something you should run on almost all Glimmora because it allows you to kill the mirror.

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
hi i feel this is pretty close to standard fare for HO but lemme change some things to optimize some MUs

:ceruledge: -> :dragonite:
i think ceruledge is pretty cool on HO rn but don't think it particularly fits here. im adding dnite in this slot to add an additional water and fire resist and ground immunity while keeping priority. Dnite helps improves matchups vs some issues the team might face such as volcarona and great tusk. I feel this is a pretty straight forward change all things considered as it keeps most of the defensive support ceruledge had and then some. i'd just run the bulky enite set but you can consider outrage > roost to act as a nuke which is helpful in some mus. Espeed does wonders as a get out of jail free card vs sweepers in the tier such as valiant.

:glimmora:
I'd use Earth Power > Sludge Bomb and Ghost Tera > Flying Tera. Reason being that on the double hazard set earth power has a few more uses such as hitting ghold, gambit and opposing glimm that might come in. It effectively just has better match ups than sludge bomb has when you're using both hazards on the same set. Ghost tera lets you spin block if you need to.

:kingambit:
Fast Gambit with lowkick > Current Set. Since you have a slow check to volc and valiant already theres no real need for max hp other than gholdengo which you check anyway and on an offensive team theres no real need for slow gambit anyway. Fast gambit helps vs other gambits and bulky teams. As mentioned, low kick helps gambit check opposing gambit while hitting some of the same things iron head does other than fairy garg & fairy dirge. I'd run black glasses or lum berry with fairy tera to maximize on gambits breaking potential.

:gholdengo:
Covert Cloak > Air Balloon. Now that you have a natural ground immunity there's not much use for air balloon. Keeping flying tera is fine but you really need the covert here to give you more options vs garg. I'd suggest using this spread on gholdengo here as it gives you defensive options vs valiant while still having enough speed for max fast rotom.

:iron-valiant:
I feel special valiant fits on this team better than physical. Personally I'd just use cm 3 atks ghost tera as I feel thats the best set for the most part, giving you an out vs dnite if things go bad. however, you can try all sorts of sets here and see what you like more. in this rate i'll just be using ghost but I think all of sets fit just fine

:dragapult:
I actually don't mind cb pult here but you can consider dd pult as its usually a bit fit on ho but having the immediate power of CB seems like it wouldn't be horrible. On CB pult I'd consider using tera fire in order to take a ice shard from bax or moonblast from valiant if you need to. DD pult I'd either use dragon or fighting/fire/fairy with tera blast if you don't want to run sub. Fighting resists sucker while hitting gambit, fairy resists sucker while hitting great tusk, fire resists ice shard while hitting all the steels. dragon just powers up dragon moves which is just as effective.

:dragonite::glimmora::iron-valiant::dragapult::gholdengo::kingambit:
hopefully these improvements work for you, here are the pastes with options included. Enjoy.
https://pokepast.es/7e4484d5d8ceefa0 CB Pult Version
https://pokepast.es/896e73a5c0bb3829 DD Pult Version

CB Dragapult is one of the least effective SV OU sets and you are only using it to ensure you never lose to Walking Wake, for which I think the CB isn't even necessary. You can use Will-o-Wisp even on a CB set but you are much better off playing all-rounder against many different matchups ditching the CB altogether to run Will-o-Wisp more freely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)