Lifestyle physical health/fitness thread

Update: I have already achieved my Halloween fitness goal.
Picture brought to you by my favorite red hat/beats by dre headphones combo.

View attachment 134568

Now i'm just going for less carbs for that V-cut before October rolls in, and then HEAVY bulking again

See below link for refrence:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/attachments/000221-jpg.134566/
Nice pecks! The butterfly machine is my fav weightlifting machine!

Too bad I never get motivated to gym if I don’t consume preworkouts

A happy new year to you all!

One goal of 2019 for me, is to get back into the gym and gym routine. I have been packing on the weight so it can only help

So far its going well. I haven't missed a gym session, but then again today is only day 2 (or 3 depending on your current location). I wish i could look as amazing as some of you guys in here, but i will be more than happy to settle for being able to still say "So far its going well" a month from now.

Cheers to a healthy year (hopefully)

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I tried getting into a steady exercise routine back in 2017 and was moderately successful for a while until summer 2018 when I fell into a bit of a depressive episode and started overeating a LOT. Gained a little over 10 pounds then, I think.

I got back into exercising this year and I think I've built up some good momentum so far. I'm no bodybuilder but I'm trying to stay fit. I've lost about 7 or so pounds so far and I've gone from a large to a medium. As far as working out goes, I tried to keep it relatively humble and make my goal to be able to do just one pull up this year, after having not been able to ever do a pull up my entire life. In March, I was finally able to do one, and at this point I can do about three in a row. It seems like I already achieved the goal only 4 months in, and I wanna keep going but I'm not really sure what to set for a goal here. I definitely am seeing a lot of positive changes in my overall neutral happiness and confidence, so I want to keep my momentum going. I wonder why it took me until my 20s to start caring about this shit, lol.

Just a bit confused about what my weight and strength goal should be, realistically, for the rest of the year. I've estimated using those online calculators that based on my age, sex, and height (5'9", or 10") that I should be going for about 160 pounds or so? Currently at 181, last I weighed in. How much weight should I be expecting or trying to realistically lose by the end of the year? I'm very goal-oriented so having that number would be pretty useful. For strength too, though I'm not sure how to quantify that. Is there a scaling point where the number of pull ups done becomes really not indicative of anything?

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
I got back into exercising this year and I think I've built up some good momentum so far. I'm no bodybuilder but I'm trying to stay fit. I've lost about 7 or so pounds so far and I've gone from a large to a medium. As far as working out goes, I tried to keep it relatively humble and make my goal to be able to do just one pull up this year, after having not been able to ever do a pull up my entire life. In March, I was finally able to do one, and at this point, I can do about three in a row. It seems like I already achieved the goal only 4 months in, and I wanna keep going but I'm not really sure what to set for a goal
We are around the same height but I'm a lot leaner due to growing up engrossed in a healthy lifestyle. Currently, I'm 5' 9" and weight around 155 LBS. In my opinion, if I were you I would shoot for around 150-145. That's like very lean though and you'll probably have to change your diet quite a bit and do aerobic exercises on the regular. This is how it is for me at least and I'm slowly making my way down to that weight. As a past wrestler, I've had 3lbs Practices where I would lose 3lbs in a practice. This shouldn't be too hard for you I think. This is, of course, depending on your fat percentage.

Becoming fit is like climbing a ladder that increases the distance between each rung. The more fit you become the harder it is to become more fit. In my case, during wrestling season when I would hit my target weight. It would become even harder to lose more weight than it was before. I would recommend lifting a bit to increase muscular endurance. This may gain you a bit of weight but not much and its good weight anywho. If you have any further questions just ask.

View attachment 170862

Summer is coming (a play on pun for the phrase "winter is coming")

You still lifting?
I been resuming my boxing again and to be fair these past 7 months of pretty much no gym or boxing made me so unfit I almost threw up sparring with a friend for 4 rounds. Easter break, so started going back to the gym regularly + BULKING for the summer bro, 7 meals a day (4000 cals). I am currently shredded but quite slender and for me that's a NO NO. I want to become slightly more "full". I know its the opposite of what most people want for the summer but who cares what others think lol

Whats up with you as of late?

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I been resuming my boxing again and to be fair these past 7 months of pretty much no gym or boxing made me so unfit I almost threw up sparring with a friend for 4 rounds. Easter break, so started going back to the gym regularly + BULKING for the summer bro, 7 meals a day (4000 cals). I am currently shredded but quite slender and for me that's a NO NO. I want to become slightly more "full". I know its the opposite of what most people want for the summer but who cares what others think lol

Whats up with you as of late?
Somalia, do i have a story for you. And in my story i did not puke, but i almost passed out due to my lack of (Fitness)consistency

Just give me 3 hours, bruv

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I wish this thread was still active.

Anyway, yesterday I hit a pr on bench of 130kg (286lb) while weighing 91kg (200lb), about 6kg / 13.3 lb less than I was last time I PRed on that lift!

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Update, hit a 170kg squat pb too (374lb). Unfortunately, I was 5kg short of my deadlift pb, hitting 190kg (418lb). This is due to the combination of deadlift being my weakest lift due to my short arms, coupled with trying to go for a pb the day after my squat.

Considering doing a powerlifting meet some time next year. I'm no Delta 2777 but I think it'd be hella fun.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
tips on protein powder that isnt disgusting?
This is a very broad question because it's all around your personal taste so my response is probably not going to be satisfactory.

If you're going for the healthiest I would recommend Pea Protein or some sort of Vegan Protein. Personally, I tend to stay away from Whey because its dairy and it makes me break out and Soy isn't to my liking. Vegan protein is a nice step in the middle. If you want pure Organic kinds of Protein I would check out Standard Process as they have great supplements and their protein is great!

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
tips on protein powder that isnt disgusting?
Body Fortress is my favorite (chocolate and milk>water), can find it at most big box stores and Walgreens. Finding a vanilla flavor that doesn't have the texture of chalk has been impossible though.

Ninahaza

The sister is in town. I took her jogging on one of my all time favorite running trails despite me not running it for a while. Its been 2 days and my legs are still sore

Lesson: i know we love to lift, but plz dont ignore cardio

Ninahaza

The diet life is hard, but having culture helps.

A Veggie snack from the motherland, aka my home country

Edit: Btw you wanna know how i maintain abs? The above is how

Last edited:

Ninahaza

Somalia, unfortunately i have only ever injured my shoulder muscles, my wrists and biceps.

But it goes without saying that, and especially if you have the health insurance coverage for it, see a medical professional for advice.

Injuries require patience. Just remember that.

Been a while since i've checked in here and it seems a little quiet ...

Given we're all pretty much in the same self-isolation situation at the moment, how's everyone managing to keep up their training?

Our gyms here for forced to shut a week ago, so went out and bought some equipment -- purchased a 20kg olympic barbell, 2x20kg, 2x10kg, 2x5kg bumper plates along with borrowing a relatives spin bike to get me through the next few months. I've got some dumbells, a 10kg weight vest, 8kg medicine ball and some bands I had lying around the house which have now come in handy too.

Without a bench and rack, squats and bench-press are out -- however i've been using the olympic bar for bar-only squats, deadlifts (w/ bumper plates), bicep curls, shoulder press, etc. While I don't have a huge amount of room or weights, also practicing movements like for clean and press, etc. It's amazing how much you can do at home even only with a few pieces of equipment -- superseding sets, lower weight sessions with higher intensity, etc.

Curious to hear how everyone else's training, goals, etc. are going?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)