Resource Pet Mods Simple Questions and Answers

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Welcome to the simple questions and answers thread! You're free to ask any kind of questions here, but please keep the following in mind...
  • Please don't ask any questions that can be answered with a simple Google or Smogon search.
  • Try and quote the post you're answering to make it clear who you're talking to. If you're newer here, this can be done by clicking "Reply" in the bottom right hand corner of the post you're quoting.
  • Make sure you stay on topic! Whatever you're asking about here should be related to Pet Mods. It's worth noting that if you're unsure if an idea you have counts as a Pet Mod, Other Metagame, or Solomod, this would be a good place to ask!
  • Please be civil when posting. Make sure you're following the rules mentioned in this thread, as well as all of Smogon's rules.

How are « quality » posts counted while posting ideas? Does submissions count? Does specifications count?

DuoM2

whao
How are « quality » posts counted while posting ideas? Does submissions count? Does specifications count?
Ideally you're submitting to or voting in other Pet Mods. Don't know what you mean by specifications here but as long as the post doesn't get deleted for breaking the rules or anything, it'll count towards the 15 you need to post in the submissions thread.

This is probably a somewhat subjective question, but when designing a type chart, is it worth sacrificing logic for balance? I'm working on one and I just can't justify Evil resisting water other than "each type can only be listed twice as a weakness to something and twice as a resistance to something and Evil had to have a second resistance"

DuoM2

whao
This is probably a somewhat subjective question, but when designing a type chart, is it worth sacrificing logic for balance? I'm working on one and I just can't justify Evil resisting water other than "each type can only be listed twice as a weakness to something and twice as a resistance to something and Evil had to have a second resistance"
Depends on how you want to look at it honestly. You could easily have a very strong type that just doesn't get given to any good Pokemon / doesn't have strong moves backing it up if it's an offensive type. The opposite applies to a bad type, you could easily give it to certain Pokemon to hinder them or only give it to Pokemon in situations where the downsides of the type aren't as apparent. If that's not possible for your project though then I'd prioritize balance unless it'd be going against something obvious like making Fire not weak to Water. I wouldn't try to force a connection where there isn't one either.

So what exactly are pet mods? Are they actual Showdown game mods, or are they just fun little creation thread games to join and attend, or are they either or? If the latter is the case, then I have a few ideas for what I want to do for my own Pet Mod.

DuoM2

whao
Oh cool so I can just make a fun creation thread and not worry about modding a server, if it's just a creation thread and not a server do I still need to get approved by the council
Depends. If you plan on having any big community participation (like slates and stuff), then you will need to make 15 posts in this subforum, then get your Pet Mod idea approved in the submissions thread before posting it. If you plan on making all of the changes yourself, then it might be better suited as either an Other Metagame or a Solomod depending on what the idea is. Solomods don't need approved though, just make sure you check out the first post in this thread!

this is specifically related to Fusion Evolution. I have designed a fusion in which the abilities Blaze and Quark Drive were combined into one (Blaze Drive). The effect of the ability is that the Quark Drive boost is applied when the user uses a Fire-type move, and lasts until the end of the next turn. However, it doesn’t say in either ability anything about an effect having such a duration. However, lasting as long as the user is in battle would cause an imbalance and makes it too easy to play around the ability’s effect. Is copying the effects of an ability perfectly important enough that this ability cannot exist, or is it acceptable for the sake of balance?

Related to an OM likely to be submitted later - need 15 posts.

In relation to a petmod porting all pokemon from gens 3-7 into gen 2: (with gen 2 moves, items, etc): What would our thoughts be on allowing signature moves from later gens? As of now, the only learnable moves are those present in gens 1 and 2, but signatures could be a nice touch.

Rezzo

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Pre-Contributor
Related to an OM likely to be submitted later - need 15 posts.

In relation to a petmod porting all pokemon from gens 3-7 into gen 2: (with gen 2 moves, items, etc): What would our thoughts be on allowing signature moves from later gens? As of now, the only learnable moves are those present in gens 1 and 2, but signatures could be a nice touch.
Probably best to do it on a pick-and-choose basis? Signature moves vary by generation anyway, take Volbeat learning Tail Glow in gen 3. You could even argue that Scald is Panpour's signature move for example.

My own personal bias: anything that changes a Pokemon's type or dynamically changes an attack's type throughout the battle would feel very un-gen-2-like (since this was limited to Porygon). As would anything that bypasses the standard attack -> defense, special attack -> special defense flow of damage (including damage by attack type itself). Special attacks being exposed to power creep sounds like a disaster waiting to happen

Last edited:
Is there a format in which there is no luck involved? In a post in the OM forum they called it Consistency Mons, but it is labeled as a rejected idea, I was wondering if that is because it exists already as a PetMod. If that is not the case, why it doesn't exist? (I suppose many have had this idea before)

DuoM2

whao
Is there a format in which there is no luck involved? In a post in the OM forum they called it Consistency Mons, but it is labeled as a rejected idea, I was wondering if that is because it exists already as a PetMod. If that is not the case, why it doesn't exist? (I suppose many have had this idea before)
This is an idea that's been brought up somewhat frequently here but nobody's really followed through with it yet. I honestly think it'd work best as a Solomod because you'd need some way to work heavy community input into it for it to be a Pet Mod, although it's definitely possible. The idea of an RNGless meta as a whole could definitely be worth exploring if you have a good enough approach to it and are willing to accept feedback to improve it.

Where's the information for Crystal: Sevii Islands? I signed up for PMPL, so I figured I should at least familiarize myself with the tiers, but I couldn't find a thread for that tier.

Rezzo

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Pre-Contributor

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)