Project Personal Ubers Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
S Rank:
:miraidon: Miraidon
:koraidon: Koraidon
:flutter-mane: Flutter Mane

S Rank, the clear top 3 in the metagame IMO. I have them ordered how I see them as, but I could get any argument for the ordering (probably not Flutter Mane #1 but the gen just started I'd hear it out). I think Mirai is def the best of the 3, the only Ground-types with recovery that can actually do anything are Hippowdon and Gastrodon because Clodsire Unaware just ignores Draco drops. I think Korai has a ton of potential but it needs to figure out the best set, I think scarf might be it with just U-turn into strong Protosynthesis mons but gotta experiment still. Flutter Mane has some crazy coverage and great breaking power w tera, but its defense naturally lets it down a lot. I do think these 3 rule the tier tho, and probably will continue to.

A+ Rank:
:Corviknight: Corviknight
:chien-pao: Chien-Pao
:iron-valiant: Iron Valiant
:ting-lu: Ting-Lu

I think these 4 are next, not S rank but not A rank just bc they're still very meta defining. Corv is pretty much the last good Defog user, which is huge when damn near everything got Spikes. Great pivot and defensive steel, overall incredible pick for most teams that are balance based. Chein-Pao is way too hard to switch into, if it tera's you better hope you got pivots or the right counter to which type it picks. Iron Valiant is the best Quark Drive mon by quite a bit imo, being a great partner for Miraidon, but also being fine by itself using Booster Energy. Ting-Lu has hazards, Ruination, Vessel of Ruin to weaken attackers, and is overall a great defensive pivot against Miraidon in particular.

A Rank:
:Iron-treads: Iron Treads
:Skeledirge: Skeledirge
:chi-yu: Chi-Yu
:roaring-moon: Roaring Moon
:great-tusk: Great Tusk
:toxapex: Toxapex

Iron Treads and Skeledirge are pretty good defensive mons, checking Miraidon and Koraidon respectively with decent utility. Iron Treads has hazards, spin, and Knock, while Skeledirge has Slack Off and Torch Song with Unaware which is a good combo. Tera Fairy on Skeledirge is great in case Korai clicks Outrage too, so I generally like these 2 on most teams. Chi-Yu has a ridiculous power output, doing like 40 to Sp.Def Ting-Lu, the mon that lowers Sp.Atk by existing. Might be overrating it a bit here but I think it has a good place in the tier rn. Not 100% on Roaring Moon but it has insane power in sun and has DD + Roost, can be a huge threat to teams w tera especailly if they don't have a scarf on one of the super fast mons. Support Great Tusk is kinda bad imo, it works if you have another ground for mirai but that stacks certain weaknesses. BU is great tho, kinda beats everything but Scream Tail and the fat unaware catfish thing. Toxapex is a good wall still, being one of the better fire resists, beating non teched out korai and iron valiant, checking Flutter Mane, having invaluable tspikes, and is overall good.

Not really sure how to do A-, B+, etc. from here so I'll just do normal ranks, wanted to separate the main A rank Pokemon though bc I think there's a difference between them.

B Rank:
:Ceruledge: Ceruledge
:grimmsnarl: Grimmsnarl
:Gholdengo: Gholdengo
:garganacl: Garganacl
:iron-bundle: Iron Bundle
:glimmora: Glimmora
:pawmot: Pawmot
:dugtrio: Dugtrio
:espathra: Espathra

Unordered, but I think these mons generally round out the average - slightly above average mons.
- Pex is pex even after the nerfs, having TSpikes and Haze is enough.
- Ceruledge is good vs fat and has some really strong moves, w the healing Fire 90 BP move being especially great.
- Screens are good so Grimmsnarl is good.
- Gholdengo has NP, Recover, Shadow Ball, and Make it Rain, so it's great at beating fatter stuff in combination with the ability to ignore status.
- Garganacl is more niche but I think really has a place in the meta. Ability to ignore status and that halves the power of Ghost-type moves, making Flutter Mane way less threatening especially if you tera Steel-type it defensively. Rocks and Recover are good, as is Salt Cure, a super good move to chip things every turn, doing 1/4 HP per turn to water and steel mons while doing 1/8 to everything else.
- Iron Bundle has a good speed tier, kinda weak but still not bad.
- Glimmora is insanely irritating, great ability and spams hazards with a poison rapid spin that's also annoying. Not amazing as a mon overall but has great tools. I'm ngl but I have no idea on Pawmot, this thing could be S tier or it could be pretty bad but the revive move seems crazy, gotta test it more.
- Scarf Fairy tera Dugtrio can trap both cover legends unless they tera into their own random type, pretty solid.
- Espathra has crazy cleaning potential, with tera fairy it can set up on Dragon move locked legends and not be weak to Shadow Ball so it can bait a Flutter Mane. Struggles into things like a healthy ting-lu and Tspikes but is overall good imo.

C Rank:
:kingambit: Kingambit
:hippowdon: Hippowdon
:Masquerain: Masquerain
:maushold-four: Maushold
:scream-tail: Scream Tail
:slither-wing: Slither Wing
:ditto: Ditto
:clodsire: :quagsire: Clodsire / Quagsire
:blissey: Blissey
:cyclizar: Cyclizar
:Houndstone: Houndstone
:palafin-hero: Palafin
:brute-bonnet: Brute Bonnet

Less sure on these mons, they definitely have a place in the metagame but I don't think they're as big as the ones above.
- Kingambit is a ghost resist for Flutter Mane which is good and has rocks + sucker but no recovery. Strong w decent utility overall.
- I like Hippowdon quite a bit, Miraidon check and has WW for certain HO stuff with rocks that's quite good in some mu's.
- Masquerain is like the only viable webs mon so it's here.
- Maushold can't flinch through 42 mons with Population Bomb and Beat Up now, but it can still use Wide Lens and tera electric to break stuff, Tidy Up is broken.
- Scream Tail kinda sucks ngl but it's fat and has Wish so it's useable.
- Slither Wing in sun is absurdly strong, just not the fastest thing ever so it can be overwhelmed.
- Ditto is Ditto, good on stall good against HO, but it saps momentum sometimes in bulkier non-stall games.
- I'm not a Clodsire believer but it has Unaware so it's fine, Quagsire is also fine but I'm still not that big a believer.
- Blissey is one of the few special tanks we got, but it's passive and lost 8 healing pp which is rough in long games vs the super strong special attackers we have now.
- Cyclizar is overhyped a bit imo, bad mon by itself that only passes a sub with not that much HP, but it still sub passes so it's decent.
- Houndstone could def move up, I just haven't used it or faced it enough to tell, but its move is crazy just locked on a mid mon.
- Palafin struggles w pex and corv bc if it tries using set up sets they'll just pivot into a Miraidon or Flutter Mane after some chip. Having to switch to get the good form sucks too, but it's super strong regardless.
- Brute Bonnet is weird, it's slow but has a massive Attack stat unexpectedly, competes for a slot a lot especially w Roaring Moon but can do work.

C- Rank:
:avalugg: Avalugg
:alomomola: Alomomola
:dragapult: Dragapult
:dudunsparce: Dudunsparce
:slowking: :slowbro: Slowking / Slowbro
:baxcalibur: Baxcalibur

These mons are ones I think have a questionable or super small place in the tier, could see them not being here at all.
- Avalugg and Alo are stall mons, kinda shit but meh.
- Pult is faster than everything in the top tiers so it's not that bad imo, but it's not the strongest thing unless it teras and can struggle w Ting-Lu.
- Dudunsparce is a pretty good pick against Flutter Mane and can sweep sometimes with Coil, but it's also just really weak and passive unless you let it get +6, in which case it still can't beat Corv or Pex.
- Slowking and Slowbro are pivots w Slack Off and Future sight so they're not that bad, Chilly Reception w Slowking is also cool to set hail and allow ice mons to sweep, like Baxcalibur

Unsure Rank:
:Garchomp: Garchomp
:tyranitar: Tyranitar
:iron-moth: Iron Moth
:wo-chien: Wo-Chien
:armarouge: Armarouge
:meowscarada: Meowscarada
:scovillain: Scovillain
:dachsbun: Dachsbun
:tinkaton: Tinkaton
:gothitelle: Gothitelle

Here are the mons I think could be viable but might not be, or I'm just unsure on where to put them.
- Garchomp is somehow slow in this meta but it has dual hazards and is strong, might be a good sleeper pick.
- Ttar is fat and removes sun vs Protosynthesis mons, probably bad but might be useful for hazards and soft checking Flutter Mane / Mirai w raw Sp.Def.
- Iron Moth probably sucks but has Protosynthesis so it's mad strong w Korai.
- Wo-Chien drops Attack and has Knock which not much does, so I can see niche uses as a defensive pick.
- Armarouge has a super strong Fire nuke that drops defenses but is 120 power, might be good to take advantage of Corv and stuff or on niche TR.
- Meowscarada has Knock, U-turn, an auto crit move, and Protean, so I think it might have a use. It's fast but the issue is it's not fast enough for the legends so it might be outclassed 100% by other picks.
- Scovillain has Moody so it's here, Moody probably just gets smashed by the offensive mons but it might have a use.
- Dachsbun is probably the best non-Steel-tera Korai check, with Wish, a Fire-type immunity, and a resist to U-turn, CC, and immunity to Dragon. Issue is it has low stats and no offensive presence, can only really Wish pass around.
- idk about Tinkaton, has a good steel move, Knock, and rocks, but its stats are so bad and it has no recovery, might work tho.
- Gothitelle is def somewhere on the viability ranks, I just don't know where. It's not a question of if it's viable at all like the rest of the things here, but it's a question of how good is Gothitelle. Tera could def help it or hurt it, just gotta see more of it.

edit: will be updating rankings whenever I remember to, changed Great Tusk, Pex, Palafin, Espathra, and Brute Bonnet for now

Last edited:

FatFighter2

zacian waifu :flushed:
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
S Rank:

A+ Rank:

A Rank:
:great-tusk: Great-Tusk

B Rank:
:clodsire: Clodsire

C Rank:
:hippowdon: Hippowdon
:pelipper: Pelipper
:blissey: :chansey: Blissey / Chansey

C- Rank:
:slowking: :slowbro: Slowking / Slowbro
:baxcalibur: Baxcalibur

Unsure about:
:pawmot: Pawmot
:slither-wing: Slither Wing

SiTuM

j'ai du faire un mauvais rêve
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
S Rank:
:koraidon:Koraidon

A Rank:
:corviknight: Corviknight
:great-tusk: Great Tusk
:iron-treads: Iron Treads
:skeledirge: Skeledirge

B Rank:

C Rank:
:gholdengo: Gholdengo
:houndstone: Houndstone
:garchomp: Garchomp
:cloyster: Cloyster
:scovillain: Scovillain
:dugtrio:Dugtrio
:espathra: Espathra

C- Rank:
:alomomola:Alomomola
:orthworm: Orthworm
:maushold: Maushold
:azumarill: Azumarill
:breloom: Breloom
:masquerain: Masquerain

Still Unsure:
:iron-jugulis: Iron Jugulis
:iron-hands: Iron Hands
:slither-wing:Slither Wing
:palafin: Palafin
:sandy-shocks:Sandy Shocks
:spidops: Spidops

FRAUDS:
:ceruledge: Ceruledge
:iron-thorns: Iron Thorns
:meowscarada: Meowscarada

Last edited:
S Rank:

A+ Rank:

A Rank:

B Rank:
:great-tusk: Great-Tusk

C Rank:
:Arboliva: Arboliva
:pelipper: Pelipper

C- Rank:

Just going to comment on a couple of Pokemon.

The S ranks:

:miraidon:

Best mon in the tier by far. Has insane set variety with Scarf, CM, Boots pivot, stallbreaker, and so on, and is just so damn hard to switch in to if you don't have something like Blissey (which it can beat with CM + Taunt + Parabolic Charge) Ting-Lu (easy to wear down) or Iron Treads (gets blown up by Overheat anyway). Tera Fairy is probably my personal favorite Tera Type for Mirai since you resist Chien-Pao's Sucker Punch and are only hit neutrally by Ice Shard, become immune to the Dragon-type moves in the tier, and Dazzling Gleam just has great coverage in a tier with many Fairy-weak Pokemon. Scarf is probably the best set, but man do I love CM + Parabolic Charge with leftovers. Just doesn't die if their Ground-type is dead. Tera Electric is a nuclear warhead thanks to boosted STAB, Electric Terrain, and the Hadron Engine further boosting its Special Attack. Insane mon.

:koraidon:

Koraidon's the close second. It has essentially three STABs in Dragon, Fighting and "Fire" thanks to Sun. My personal favorite set is Tera Fire with SD + Flame Charge + Flare Blitz + Dragon Claw behind screens. Basically a souped-up Mega Charizard X with Drought and a much better Speed-tier. Tera Fire is great for turning your 4x Fairy weakness into a resist, and your Fire moves become dummy strong with "boosted STAB", Sun, and the Orichalchum Pulse attack boost. Hilariously, without any SD boosts, Jolly Flame Charge OHKOes Flutter Mane while Sun is up, just to give you an idea of how dumb the power level can get. Tera Fairy is also good for mostly the same reasons as I did for Miraidon, and Tera Ground helps break past Skeledirge, but imo Fire is its best Tera type by far. Other great sets include Scarf, Sub + Taunt, even Banded goes hard.

That being said, I don't think Collision Course is that great on it. Close Combat does better vs neutral targets. Also something to keep in mind with Tera Fire is you become SR-weak. Overall, takes a bit more finesse to use than Miraidon, but when used right, it just cleaves through teams or provides great support w/ U-turn, Sun support, etc.

The High As:

:flutter-mane:

I love this Pokemon's existence. Misdreavus is one of my favorite Pokemon, and the fact a version of it is not only likely to get banned in OU soon and is amazing in Ubers is amazing to me. Shoutout to Misdreavus for the greatest comeback of all time.

That being said, I don't think it's an S-rank Pokemon like some people here think. It's phenomenal, don't get me wrong, and its set variety, typing, and stats are nuts, but it has drawbacks. Can't switch in on most physical attackers (especially the Donphans), and while its STABs are very strong, they're relatively low in BP and need boosts whether it's from CM or Tera to break past the mons it wants to. Still one of the GOATs in the tier with its blistering Speed with Protosynthesis, nearly unresisted STAB combo, and a phenomenal movepool. Great anti-offense mon (can even run Scarf next to Koraidon to outrun the other base 135 scarfers), can break through fat with Taunt + Psyshock, can Thunder Wave things, and neuter other SpAttackers with Mystical Fire. Tera Normal, Fairy, Steel, and Fire have been great options for me.

:chien-pao:

Stupid Pokemon. Probably one of the best offensive juggernauts in the tier. Ice Shard is effectively its main STAB move lmao and is insanely powerful with its Swords of Ruin ability, making it a great anti-offense mon against a chipped team. Swords Dance or Choice Band also lets it break down fat, as well, with Tera Ice Icicle Crash / Ice Spinner breaking through Corviknight quite easily. People run Sucker Punch, but I like Crunch to break through Skeledirge easier, ignoring the Sucker vs Wisp mindgame. Doesn't have great switch in potential, though, with its frailty, poor defensive typing, and SR weakness, but it can get in pretty easily with screens + parting shot support with Grimmsnarl.

Other mentions:

:ting-lu:

Great special tank, can set up Spikes, and can whirlwind past those funny Cyclizar teams. It can be passive at times and susceptible to Taunt, but Tera Steel Heavy Slam is a great tool to get past Flutter Mane and other Tera Fairies.

:skeledirge:

I see this mon falling off eventually, but right now, it's pretty good. Handles Koraidon fairly well and is one of the tier's best Wispers. Tera Fairy is also great on it.

:iron-treads:

Solid glue mon in a tier with not many good Steel-types. One of the few Knock Off users, can spin, has great Speed with Quark Drive, can kill Flutter Mane with Heavy Slam, and I've been enjoying Rock Tomb on a Sash SR set.

:great-tusk:

Great Tusk is Great. Powerful base 120 STABs, has Knock Off, utility in SR, Spin, Taunt, etc. Hates Flutter Mane coming in for free, but Great Tusk OHKOEs with Headlong Rush.

:Chi-yu:

Stupid hard to switch in to, but fairly easy to revenge kill.

:Corviknight:

I'm tentatively putting Corviknight in A, but I'm not at all excited about it. It's one of the only good defoggers in the entire game, but imo it's passive without Iron Defense boosts (walled by Ghosts anyway) and is easily overwhelmed by the box legends and Taunt spam. Like I said earlier, even Chien-Pao breaks through it fairly well. It at least comes in on the Donphans pretty well.

:Grimmsnarl:

Prankster screens and Parting Shot go brrrrrr. Very good enabler for HO teams, but that's really all it's good for in this meta, but it at least does it well. Hates opposing Dark-types, though, since it can't use its Prankster moves on them.

:Arboliva:

I think this mon's underrated as a SpDef tank that can change Electric Terrain into Grassy Terrain, disabling Hadron Engine and Quark Drive. Leech Seed + Leftovers + Protect makes it really easy for Arboliva to get a lot of health back, especially in a game where recovery moves took a big nerf. That being said, it struggles vs Steels, the Fire-types, and hates Tera Fire Koraidon, but it can at least hit base Dragon/Fighting Koraidon on the switch with Dazzling Gleam. Pairs well with Ting-Lu to make a solid core vs Miraidon teams. Will likely fall off forever once Rillaboom can just override Electric Terrain without taking a hit whatsoever when Home releases.

:roaring-moon:

Kind of bad tbh. One of the mons I can think of that almost HAS to Tera to be good. Tera Flying Acrobatics w/ Booster Energy can be pretty dangerous, though, but I found it to be more than manageable.

:cyclizar:

Overrated garbage.

Last edited:
ordered
S rank
1669416019214.png
Koraidon
1669416007601.png
Miraidon

A+ rank
1669416199637.png
Flutter Mane
1669416110001.png
Corviknight
1669416147758.png
Great Tusk

A rank
1669416230663.png
Iron Bundle
1669416216720.png
Ting-Lu
1669416307902.png
Chien-Pao
1669416333103.png
Toxapex
1669416418460.png
Iron Treads

Not ordered anymore

B rank
1669416455759.png
Roaring Moon
1669416515170.png
Dugtrio
1669416492853.png
Chi-Yu
1669416527343.png
Iron Valiant
1669416554096.png
Glimmora
1669416579097.png
Espathra
1669416605176.png
Dragapult
1669416656285.png
Tyranitar
1669416619750.png
Houndstone
1669416686711.png
Gholdengo
1669416716823.png
Garganacl
1669416758423.png
Skeleridge
1669416930157.png
Ditto
1669416952823.png
Grimmsnarl

C rank
1669417842462.png
Annihilape
1669416796539.png
Gothitelle
1669416825904.png
Hippowdon
1669416837292.png
Slowking
1669416851731.png
Cetitan
1669416864799.png
Ceruledge
1669416885298.png
Alomomola
1669416895845.png
Clodsire
1669417009572.png
Blissey
1669416913386.png
Kingambit
1669416972422.png
Cyclizar
1669416995628.png
Palafin
1669417436452.png
Dondozo
1669417499070.png
Baxcalibur

Few Comments:
Roaring Moon with Energy Booster, Tera Flying Acrobatics is actually pretty good.
Espathra can so easily snowball its so annoying i hate it and i wish it was never here.
Sand is actually pretty good! Something ive been using is Fairy Terablast Tyranitar to lure opposing Koraidon. Houndstone itself is really stupid, Last Respect + Trick + Body Press + Shadow Sneak is never not useful in any matchup.
Dugtrio is good!!!
Probably ranking Gothitelle too low, but right now kind of everything has a momentum move. There are still a few mons that you can realistically trap tho, just haven't seen it much at all yet.

Garrett

Banned deucer.
All of my tiers are unordered.

S Rank - The box legends are undisputedly the best mons in current SV Ubers.
1669416019214.png
Koraidon
1669416007601.png
Miraidon

A+ Rank - Comprised of the most consistent defensive mons and the next top 2 breakers for these walls.

1669416199637.png
Flutter Mane
1669416307902.png
Chien-Pao
1669416110001.png
Corviknight
1669416216720.png
Ting-Lu
1669416758423.png
Skeledirge

A Rank

1669416230663.png
Iron Bundle - The Encore set beats Corviknight. More importantly, its speed tier enables it a rightful home here.
:blissey:Blissey - Not needing (or getting) Confide, this thing's moveset is way more annoying in Gen 9. It is only cleric and user of Healing Wish I could see myself using.
1669416147758.png
Great Tusk - Having Knock Off already makes me like this thing. It has a decent speed tier and great coverage/utility options.
1669416418460.png
Iron Treads - Great utility as well and has the typing to be a SpDef stop to Flutter/Mirai exactly (and I mean exactly) once. Maybe should be B rank.

B Rank - "Random BS that you get the wrong matchup for"
1669416995628.png
Palafin - About as anti-HO as you can get. Even banded sets barely 2HKO defensive Pex with Zen Headbutt, which is a luxury to run to begin with.
:scream-tail: Scream-Tail - Good mon.
1669416895845.png
Clodsire - Great dual hazard setter that covers every Flutter Mane except LO/Specs Psyshock. This also absorbs random TSpikes. Good enough.
1669416492853.png
Chi-Yu - Very volatile mon. With Korai's sun and a Choice Specs you can 2HKO everything bar Umbrella Blissey. It has a speed stat that makes outright winning with this difficult.
1669417436452.png
Dondozo - Surprisingly potent stopper to Physical Offense spam with Curse and RestTalk or Protect (or Rest + Cleric Blissey).
1669416913386.png
Kingambit - Randomly good especially since most Chien-Pao can't afford Fighting coverage.
1669416825904.png
Hippowdon - The only sand setter that MAYBE is ok.
1669416716823.png
Garganacl - Very cool mon that handles Flutter Mane in the sand insanely well.
1669416952823.png
Grimmsnarl - I'm not high on screens but this mon is the only way to get it done.
1669416796539.png
Gothitelle - Tera makes trapping difficult but a Specs set really cripples fat.
1669416515170.png
Dugtrio - Tera makes trapping difficult but Scarf Duggy certainly has a niche like Gothitelle does.
1669416333103.png
Toxapex - Despite a slashed movepool, it's still Pex with TSpikes and a dream.
1669416930157.png
Ditto - What the dog doin

C/D Rank

1669416686711.png
Gholdengo - A luxury that I have trouble fitting on fatter builds.
1669416527343.png
Iron Valiant - I could see an argument to raise this to B.
1669416554096.png
Glimmora
1669416605176.png
Dragapult - Excellent speed tier but I feel this relies on either a forced and dedicated Tera (Physical) or a lot of prediction (Special Specs) to make minimal progress
1669416619750.png
Houndstone - What the dog doin
1669416579097.png
Espathra - I guess you could get bodied if you get caught lacking.
1669416837292.png
Slowking
1669416885298.png
Alomomola - Big lips that's my girl running the Wish + HWish because its movepool forces it to run 4 semi-viable moves :D
1669416972422.png
Cyclizar
1669417499070.png
Baxcalibur - (Haxorus' brother.)
:haxorus: Haxorus - (Mold Breaker is funny and it's seen some AG usage.)

Edit: Whoops, posted wrong place lol I'll still do a personal VR tho. Sorry.

S rank
Koraidon - Solid Swords Dance sweeper, Band user, and overall great abuser of tera.
Miraidon - Arguably the best CM user in the tier. Oddly enough, good with Assault Vest. Fits easily on most teams thanks to it's ability and typing.

A+ rank
Flutter Mane - One of the best sweepers in the game, solid typing that comes in super useful, and pairs very well with Koraidon. Sucks that common priority moves can either OHKO or get off major damage on this mon.
Iron Bundle - Outspeeding the best mons in the game is very clutch. Unique stab combo + freeze dry means only Blissey or Chansey walls this. It does have taunt for them though.
Iron Treads - Best spinner in the game and is a really great check to Maraidon. Fits so well on teams that need a hard hitting spinner.

A rank
Hawlucha - A great sweeper that adapts fast. Good against ditto. Solid with Miraidon as a partner. And a nice ability that allows it to outspeed the whole meta, even the paradox mons after a boost as well as scarfers.
Grimmsnarl - Probably the best support mon for HO teams. Parting shot really comes in clutch for letting in sweepers safely. Spirit Break is also really nice for hitting Miraidon and Koraidon.
Great Tusk - A good sash lead that can reliably get up rocks consistently. Great stab move in headlong rush for mons that try to set up on it. And brick break can also be run for screens.
Chien Pao - Solid STAB combo that can catch many unsuspecting teams off guard. Ice shard and Sucker Punch are great offensive countermeasures for mons that have set-up and can't tera.

A- rank
Dragapult - A good revenge killer for top threats.
Skeledirge - Oddly a good wall with nice power. It can handle most Koraidon sets, especially if skele goes tera fairy or ghost. Has trouble fitting on teams tho and doesn't provide too much else other than being a wall, but at least it has power and can get past subs with torch song.
Slowking - The goat. Very good at pivoting on moves from powerful mons like overheat Miraidon, CC Koraidon, Hydro Pump Iron Bundle, and more. Relies a little too much on predictions tho.
Chansey - If hazards are off, then decent answer to Miraidon. Pretty good against Flutter Mane and Iron Bundle. Solid wall tbh.

B rank
Toxapex - Decent wall that can come in on most physical attackers and do some hazing and whatnot. Decent toxic spiker.
Blissey - Decent boots user but, the power creep in special attackers really does have this mon struggling.
Palafin - Decent scarfer but has a tough time under the sun.
Ditto - Annoying counter sweeper.
Clodsire - A good answer to most special attackers and a great utility mon with toxic, toxic spikes, yawn, and rocks.
Dondonzo - A useful wall on certain stall or bulky teams but lacks good recovery.

C Rank
Espratha - Fun sweeper that can be consistent against bulky teams that lack immediate power. Outside of that, has a rough time.
Cyclizar - Its hard to get off a shed tail against aggressive HO teams but, very easy to abuse against slower, bulkier teams that lack immediate power. Spin and knock off can come in clutch against stall too.
Gholdengo - Pretty decent on hazard stacking teams but lacks bulk and power. At least it has trick and nasty plot.
Iron Moth - A cool agility sweeper but not good lol
Houndstone - This mon only puts in work against fat teams. Even then, still needs a decent amount of support.
Glimmora - Meh?

Last edited:

Ainzcrad

Smile of the Orchid
is a Tiering Contributor
This is kinda how i think the mons are at this point of the metagame. Most of this is based on what i played during ladder sessions or just random games.

S-Rank
:miraidon: This mon is slightly better then koraidon in my opinion, due to koraidon having a clear cut answer that has reliable recovery. Meanwhile this mon is able to break past the potential answer to this mon like; iron treats (overheat), ting lu (dazzling gleam or draco's over time), clodsire (draco two shots), blissey (doesnt pressure back, loses v parabolic charge). There offensive answers like chien pao or scarf dugtrio but u can terrastalize past them or just switchout leaving this mon to get broken later.
:koraidon: The best set up sweeper in the meta, fcharge allows u to get the speed u want to prevent speed ties and also is able to run any set u want. Band is able to break most mons, sd gives u an easier late game potential when ur opp's flutter mane/chien pao dropped or u have enough room to potentially terra into fire giving u more power onto flame charge and resist ice/fairy moves from ur otherwise answers. Scarf is also something that is really good just being able to revenge almost any mon without a speed boost. But the reason why this mon is worse then mirai in my opinion is how good skeledirge into this mon, it needs to run stomping tantrum or an offensive item to be able to break it, it just shuts down the scarf/sd set only leaving band which also struggles with this due to terra.

A+ Rank
:flutter_mane: Great speed control via booster energy/sun, great coverage, amazing stats. Nothing more needs to be said it just breaks ur teams down psyshock beats blissey, tbolt/mystical fire for corv, mystical fire for iron treats.
:corviknight: Best defogger in the game rn, great switchin onto iron bundle, pressuring it back with body press or iron head if it terra's and ur set. Able to check flutter mane unless it terra's into fire, ground immune so the donphan forms dont click eq all game. U turn gives u momentum if need be and also soft checks chien pao with body press coverage insane u need it as an emergency answer. Not to mention pressure helping u pp stall down a potential spiker.

A Rank
:skeledirge: Unaware+amazing typing allows this to check alot of physical mons in this tier. The big 1 being koraidon, non cb does 35 into u (dclaw) and ur able to pressure things back with willo-o-wisp making most physical attackers much less scary. This is also able to defensively terra incase u need to remove a weakness of the fire typing ur having, like terraing into fairy to make u be able to wisp donphans with much less risk tight to it.
:ting_lu: Miraidon check, great bulk allows it to eat hits that it should be eating, not to mention the amazing ability it has. Ruins making special attacks weaker makes this just be able to switch into hits and force them out or pivot. Taunt is a set people have been running asw, allowing it to stallbreak potential corviknight or pex if it comes down to it.
:chien_pao: Insane breaker, being able to revenge potential box legends is really huge. With sd ur able to break past most defensive cores, due to its great typing and coverage. Tera also gives it amazing options to break past mons that would otherwise be able to check this mon like pex or corviknight.
:great_tusk: Great tusk is able to handle alot of physical threats that could potentially come its way and just putting rocks up for ur breakers or just in general to weaken the opponent. But that isnt the only amazing set this could run, certain ho's use it as a lead to help u beat glimmora leads or forcing pressure from the get go. But that is not the only other set that it's able to run, choice band allows it to be an amazing breaker, with 756 attack under sun (from photosynthesis+cb) giving it's amazing typing able to pop off.

A- Rank
:iron_bundle: Iron bundle is able to by pass most of its answers like corviknight with encore (as mentioned by garrett a few posts above) or offensively terratyping into its own type to break past pex. Bundle is able to revenge the box legends via terrain or just by being slightly faster then most of the offensive mons we are having right now, but the main issue with this mon is that its slightly weaker then other offensive mons. Being too relaint on pump hitting in some cases and needing to terra type into ur own to be able to ohko the dragons. But this mon is still amazing nonetheless just not A worthy imo.
:toxapex: Tspikes+haze are all enough to be able to be a pain in the butt, pex is still able to answer potential threats even tho it lost one of its most important moves this generation (scald). This mon annoys flutter mane by being able to answer non psyshock or putting up tspikes to support ur team by chipping mons down, not to forget this being a grounded poison helping u be slightly stronger into glimmora teams.
:iron_treads: Iron treads is a weird mon for me to rank, i think its kinda overrated as a mon in general but it has some amazing things going for it. It's utility is pretty good, stealth rock, one of the few good knockers (or knock off users in general), volt switch for momentum and has a good ability in quark drive giving u a boost onto ur stats whenever electric terrain is up without any punishment. But this isnt a good flutter mane/miraidon answer both are able to ohko u with terra up if their coverage is right (like overheat from mirai or terablast fire flutter mane).

Unordered from here
B+ Rank
:gholdengo: This mon is surprisingly good, being able to revenge kill iron bundle or just trick ur scarf away allowing u to nasty plot up on bulkier teams is pretty handy. Not to forget that good as gold allows u to deny potential defogs or status that would otherwise annoy ur team.
:glimmora: Hazard stacker and a great ho lead. Ability is kinda busted on this mon.
:iron_valiant: Great typing and its speed helps it a ton. Fairy in general is realy good in this metagame but its coverage just shines through with the options u get from using this mon. Its offensive stats are really good with giving u the option to user either physical or special and both having the respective coverage u would want. Physical; Spirit Breaker, Close Combat, Thunder Punch, Fire Punch, Zen Headbutt. Special; Moonblast, Psyshock, Thunderbolt.
:grimmsnarl: Screens is the best ho archetype
:dugtrio: Trapper that removes potential threads from ur team. Not to forget that this is also a really good tera user, with tera fairy u can easily take the two box legends on if their not scarfed asw or just a random mon that allows ur breaker to do its work.

B Rank
:chi_yu: This things ability is super insane, being able to drop mons spdef whenever they are on the field allows this mon to take some kills that it shouldnt be able to get. This just breaks but thats also the only thing that this mon is able to do, its too slow for most of the threats in the tier. Chi-yu is just useless in alot of offensive matchups but also accels in more fat orientated matchup's.
:houndstone: Last Respect is no joke 300 base power late game just removes mons from the field. With sand ur able to click the buttons u potential want with the coverage this mon has, play rough is able to hit the dragons, body press/tera blast for potential steels/normals, sneak to be able to revenge mons. But its stats are really holding this back, its solid but nothing amazing to right home about.
:scream_tail: Great defensively, wish support helping mons out that lack recovery (like ting lu for example), but its too passive. Certain breakers just just able to break past it (like cb tusk or chien pao or ihead koraidon).
:clodsire: Unaware elec immune, carried by its amazing spdef. This mon in general is just solid nothing more nothing less, due to it being able to switch into alot of random hits and force hazards up. It is just there to sit on mons put up hazards or attempt to toxic stuff.
:roaring_moon: I cant rank this mon properly since i havent seen enough of this mon, used it a bit for myself and it felt pretty weird. One matchup it does amazing and the other its almost useless. Tera helps this mon a bunch being able to break/bypass potentially great tusk with flying or break koraidon without needing to risk potential fairy, but it really needs to set up to do the work u want this mon to do.

B- Rank
:slither_wing: This mon is able to break surprisingly well, with first impression ur able to revenge alot of mons (including koraidon if its around 40). But that is really the only thing it does, u require to get few 50/50's if ur facing bulkier teams and this mon gets carried by first impression from my games.
:garganacl: This mon dumpsters teams that lack a good special breaker, salt cure annoy's anything that really wants to switch into this and this is also a ghost resist into a rock type, making it a counter to skeledirge but if this mon ever gets hit by a moonblast from flutter mane, or draco from miraidon it aint doing much back.
:dondozo: Unaware fat mon
:Alomomola: Fat water that allows for wish passes, but its only good on one archetype aka stall. On anything else its way too passive to answer what u need it to do.
:blissey: Spdef mon check but way too passive to be ranked higher.
:hippowdon: Surprisingly solid, able to check koraidon and put up rocks. This is also the main sand stream user for me, giving a ground immunity and able to click rocks pretty freely.
:Espathra: Cheese mon but its able to do alot of work if u give it too much room with speed boost giving it the speed it needs and tera allowing it to remove weaknesses

C Rank (niche stuff)
:pelipper: Rain is a matchup fish, only good thing is being able to switch into korai and pressure it a bit with hurricane
:ditto: Doesnt do much in most games, screens just makes the mon ur copying much bulkier only thing this does is make ur opponent not overgreed set up
:Quaquaval: Matchup fish
:Cyclizar: Matchup fish
:cloyster: Matchup fish
:palafin: Matchup fish
:scovillain: Matchup fish

These are just my opinion, adding more mons and details over the next few days if i dont forget

Only the S and S- rank are ordered. I'll only be giving explanations for the S rank and when I'm sure they're needed. I left out some mons I don't have insight on.

S Rank

:miraidon: Miraidon is clearly the best pokemon in the tier. Every team needs to prepare for it and it still often blows you apart with a plethora of sets. I believe it is the best because it's role is invaluable and it is done reliably. Specs is the most straightforward, you freely fire of Dracos and claim a kill after terastillizing into a Dragon type. This allows you to easily 2hko Ting Lu and Spdef Corv on the switch. Unless your opponent switches in a fairy type, Draco is guaranteed to score a KO. And that is what makes missing all the more frustrating. Of course specs isn't all it can run, but because of the guaranteed KOs and ease of use, I wanted to note it out as the best set. It's other most notable sets are the Tera CMs and Scarf. On Scarf I prefer Tera electric for late game sweeps and U-turn for the ability to hit ground types. The CM (and agility) sets are more match up reliant and a bit less consistent. Their selling point is that they're even more powerful than specs. You no longer need Tera Dragon to potentially Ohko Clodsire and obliterate Ting Lu. Because of how easily and uniquely it can force progress even trough multiple special walls like Blissey, Clod and Ting Lu, I believe it is the best. It does have drawbacks though, not every team can fit it and missplaying with it is all the more devastating, not even considering that annoying 90 acc.

:koraidon: Koraidon isn't far from Miraidon in my opinion. While Miraidon is more powerful, Koraidon fits more easily on more teams (from my experience). It has incredible qualities like grabbing momentum with U-turn, revenge killing many pokemon thanks to Choice Scarf and also wallbreaking. Having 479 attack with a jolly nature is simply astonishing, it's almost like running Scarf Primal Groudon that's Dragon Fighting, has incredible speed and Flare Blitz as fire coverage. It's also incredible because it activates its teammates Flutter Mane's and Great Tusk's Protosynthesis. I'm addicted to choice sets, but it's probably Tera Fire SD with Flame Charge that is the best set. It can piss off its usual revenge killers like Flutter Mane and Iron Bundle by not only outspeeding them (Flame Charge boosts) but also resisting their stabs they would normally use against it. Honorable mention goes to the Tera Fight CB set for 2hkoing Phis Def Pex and dealing 80% to Skeledirge with Outrage.

S- Rank

:flutter_mane: Flutter Mane has good, spammable stabs, great stats and a good ability. It has incredible sweeping and revenge killing potential. I don't really have anything to say that others haven't already, other than that it's revenge killing potential is seriously under explored. It often doesn't need the specs power boost if paired with other strong special attackers. It's very easy to fit it on teams for me and that's why I'm placing it in S- over A+.

:great_tusk: Scarf is one of the 2 best sets on it in my opinion (the other is lefties). It hits very hard with sun support and it Ohkos Koraidon if terastillized. Not being able to switch moves makes it a not very viable or reliable rapid spin user. It's just that having an emergency spin on HO is always nice. In my experience, it always seems to prove itself as one of the most reliable performers in the tier (having 100 acc is very nice unlike Blades). While it isn't as powerful as some other contenders, it makes up for it (in my eyes) with reliability in its role (revenge killing, cleaning) and ease of fitting it onto a team.

A+ Rank

:chien_pao:

:iron_bundle:

:iron_treads:

A rank

:kingambit: Kingambit is one of the most threatening late game sweepers and SD users from my experience. It's actually often times a mid game sweeper because once it gets enough of a boost from Supreme Overlord it's ready to sweep. It sets up all over Great Tusk thanks to Tera Flying. Resisting CC is also nice for Koraidon. The ability to set up on its usual revenge killers and ground types allow it to set up multiple SDs. This allows its Sucker Punch to Ohko even faster resists and its incredible bulk allows it to not always have to risk playing Sub mindgames with Flutter Mane. I just think it's very underrated.

:corviknight:

:garganacl:

:skeledirge:

A- rank

:roaring_moon:

:ting_lu: Ting Lu is an incredible utility machine, but I think it is a bit too reliant on match ups. If any of what it's supposed to take a hit from decides to tera it's dying straight up. Unless you're using Gholdengo it's hazards are a bit too easy to remove. It's still incredible, I simply think it's overrated. It's passivity isn't at all hard to exploit, many physical attackers set up all over it and those are the same pokemon that happen to be the most threatening wallbreakers in the tier. Do you really want to give a free SD to something like Chien Pao? Too passive, too easy to exploit, no reliable recovery and weakness to hazards. That's why I don't like it.

:iron_valiant:

B+ rank

:froslass: Best HO lead. Blocks spin and Spikes > Rocks. Anything weak runs HDB or is chipped well enough by Spikes (Spikes only miss out on Corv). Having Taunt, Icy Wind, Dbond, Twave and more is amazing.

:gholdengo:

B rank

:glimmora:

:cyclizar:

:scream_tail:

:clodsire:

C rank

:quaquaval:

:meowscarada:

:dragapult:

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hi, here's my (still pretty early given how new the tier is) power rankings so far! I think I have a few unique thoughts about the meta and maybe there's a thing or two you could learn from it, so I'd appreciate a read!

S Tier

:Miraidon:
Nothing much that needs to be said here that nobody else hasn't already said, it's STAB being boosted by the Electric Terrain it sets itself is insane. Not quite Kyogre level, but it's also fast as hell. Specs is CRIMINALLY underrated for how good it is, Electro Drift/Draco/Overheat hits literally the entire tier and you still have a free moveslot for Volt Switch or U-Turn. Definitely the best set imo. Cm Parabolic sets are good, but a little bit overrated, as they usually have to choose between trying to beat Ting-Lu or Treads, not to mention being walled by the right Blissey set (or just tera ground blissey). Scarf Sets are decent utility but still kinda cucked by Bundle. I think the meta will develop towards trapping as time passes as people realize that Dugtrio can trap this thing relatively easily, only need a few percent damage to guarantee a kill (even through Tera). On the other hand, it's own Volt Switch or U-Turn combo forms an excellent pair with Bundle as well as trappers like Gothitelle, which is sure to become more common in the future. Honestly, Miraidon may be a bit too much to handle when Home comes out and we will have to dedicate more team slots to checking Arceus, Zacian-C, etc, but at the moment when it's possible to run Ting-Lu + other pseudo-checks and revenge killers, it's not overbearingly troublesome.

:Koraidon:
Koraidon loses the boost to its STAB that it Miraidon gets which does make him worse, but he somewhat makes up for it with his insane coverage. He also fits better on pure HO teams in my opinion, as the sun that he sets enables Flutter Mane and makes Bundle weaker, both of which are big boosts to those team structures. He has a more comfortable time fitting Swords Dance and Flame Charge together on one set, meaning he doesn't have to choose between boosting Speed or Attack as much as Mirai does. Stomping Tantrum is a heavily underrated coverage option that allows Korai to break past one of its most solid checks in Skeledirge (without the need to run Lefties Sub shenanigans), so I expect to see it more as the meta develops. Scarf sets are also really good on balances in my opinion, as the U-Turns that he can get allow for offensive teammates to take advantage of slow mons like Skeledirge and Scream Tail, and his high Speed allows some nice revenge kills on random stuff.

A+ Tier

:Corviknight:
An absolute staple for any team outside of HO, Corviknight keeps its place high on this list not just because it's basically the only good Defog user in the whole tier, but also because it manages to role compress checking a lot of dangerous threats into one mon. With a bit of Special Defense investment (96 Special Defense EVs with Leftovers guarentees a 3HKO from Shadow Ball), Corviknight makes for a really solid check to LO Flutter Mane, with the added bonus that Mirror Armor prevents Shadow Ball drops; even teching for Corviknight with Mystical Fire will only cause Flutter Mane to lose Special Attack instead! The bit of Special Defense investment and Leftovers also proves useful against Bundle, letting you comfortably taking mostly anything outside of Specs Hydro Pump. This still leaves 160 Def EVs with an Impish nature to give Corviknight solid Defense, letting it just barely check Jolly Chien-Pao as well as take on Treads. It's specific typing also gives it a lot of under-appreciated utility, being one of the only Ground-resists in the whole tier, and its Steel-type gives it a lot of random utility against mons. Most people have started running it this gen with Rocky Helmet and Body Press/U-Turn, but Iron Head is not to be underestimated as it destroys Flutter Mane. Even Drill Peck and Brave Bird are useful, as they still hit Flutter Mane hard while also acting as potentially useful Flying-type coverage against Great Tusk, so Corviknight's moveset is pretty customizable depending on your team's needs. It is true that Gholdengo is a pain in the ass for it, but Gholdengo does have it's own problems, and pairing Corviknight with Treads or Great Tusk is pretty reasonable.

:Ting-Lu:
This mon is one that likes to get shit on a lot, but I have one word for anyone that doubts me when I rank it this high: MIRAIDON. Yeah, your team with only Iron Treads as your sole Miraidon switch-in is bad when it just dies instantly to Overheat. Clodsire? Specs Draco into another just kills it (and Clodsire itself is easily trappable by Dugtrio). Ting-Lu is the only good switch-in to the most powerful mon in the tier which instantly makes it really high on this list. In addition to this, Ting-Lu is actually just a beast defensively; 155/125/80 bulk with its ability just straight up makes it bulkier than Giratina, which is crazy. His defensive movepool is also quite good, coming with Ruination and Spikes means Ting-Lu is not passive at all, to not even mention that he still has base 110 attack Earthquakes to throw out. Of course, Ting-Lu's big flaw is that it doesn't have reliable recovery, forcing it to rely on Leftovers and Protect stalling. It can't even viably run Rest given that Electric Terrain will block it, and its reliance on Lefties makes Ting-Lu vulnerable to Toxic Spikes. Still, the mere fact that Ting-Lu can hard into Miraidon is too good to pass up on for any balance team; you also have to consider that Miraidon needs to throw out choice-locked Draco Meteors or Overheat to dent Ting-Lu, meaning that Ting-Lu in combination with another pseudo-check such as Treads or Blissey is pretty reliable, not to mention how he pairs well with Wish passers such as Scream Tail or Dacsbund. Ting-Lu's other utility movepool is relatively unexplored as well; with some Speed investment, Taunt becomes a very useful tool to keep hazards up against Corviknight switch-ins (who, by the way, their Defog that Ting-Lu attracts can be used to give powerful teammates like Chi-Yu a switch-in opportunity. Additionally, Ting-Lu's utility against Screens Teams is quite good, given that it is relatively free to set up some Spikes against Grimmsnarl without fear of being Taunted and can Ruination or even Whirlwind the incoming switch-in. Sure, he doesn't love taking a Play Rough if Grimm is packing it, but just being able to even get a spike vs. that type of playstyle can win you the game. Overall just a really solid mon that is hard to avoid when you make literally any non-HO team.

:Flutter Mane:
A crazy good mon with great stats and an amazing stab combo in Ghost/Fairy, resisted by nothing in the tier. Life Orb sets with Shadow Ball and Moonblast provide great breaking power and can revenge kill Koraidon and other mons easily if the sun is shining. Calm Mind and Psyshock are typically the last options to nail Blissey, but it wouldn't surprise me if Thunderbolt sets began popping up as a method to hit mixed defenses Corviknight. Its main limiting factor is simply that Shadow Ball's 80 power limits the breaking power, allowing stuff like the aforementioned mixed defenses Corviknight to exist. Specs looks alright, but I really think Flutter is the type of mon who wants to be switching moves a lot. Not much more to say, a fantastic mon that works great on both HOs and balances as a breaker and revenge killer.

:Chien-Pao:
This mon is like a crazy combination of Weavile and Galarian Darmanitan put together, he's nuts. Chien-Pao is probably the breaker in the tier with the most utility right now. Most people are familiar with the Life Orb SD set, which if given a chance to set-up can even straight-up one shot some Corviknights. It's good on HO but not amazing on balanced builds due to needing a rare chance to set-up, in addition to being Rocks weak, Spikes/TSpikes vulnerable, taking LO and Rocky Helmet recoil, etc. Non-HO structures are where Band really shines, functioning both as a fantastic breaker and revenge killer, giving it utility no one else has. Corviknight needs literally like 3% on it for Jolly Band sets to 2HKO without even using Terra. Ice Shard and Sucker Punch are great and strong revenge killing and cleaning options, both of which are runnable on Band which gives you maximum coverage against random teras. The fact that Ice Shard alone revenge kills Korai, Mirai, and Flutter Mane in one slot is just insane. Meanwhile, Brick Break can nail any strange Ice/Dark resists like Kingambit while also breaking screens. Chien-Pao works best when paired with momentum options like Corv, Mirai, or Korai's U-Turn to get in. Overall just an amazing mon that cannot be underestimated, it breaks and revenge kills everything.

A Tier

:Iron Bundle:
I don't know why some people were disappointed with it upon release, this thing is SICK. Ice/Water and access to Freeze Dry provides a STAB combo that is unresisted by everything in the tier (except the FC signature, Thick Fat Azumarill!). To top it off, it gets access to Flip Turn and a speed stat of 136 which just barely outspeeds Mirai, Korai, Flutter, and Chien-Pao, which also gets boosted in Terrain, giving amazing revenge killing utility. Heavy-Duty Boots sets are fun since they can make an easy momentum core with Miraidon and rid Bundle of its annoying Rocks weakness. I like those sets the best with Taunt by far, since their damage output can be quite disappointing, so preventing recovery on Corv or Blissey can be huge. My preferred set, though, is Specs, as it gives amazing breaking power, and helps Bundle's 124 Special Attack give it the extra boost it needs to sweep whole teams. Seriously, certain teams just straight up lose to Specs Freeze Dry or Hydro Pump, and Bundle as a whole is just a nightmare to reliably check in builder without Blissey. Compared to the A+ offensive mons, I think Bundle lacks some of the power and inability to be trapped by Dugtrio that Flutter Mane has, while Chien-Pao breaks fatter teams better and has better revenge killing abilities with priority.

:Skeledirge:
The best Korai check you can run currently. Unaware is just such a broken ability, and Skele's access to WoW and reliable recovery makes him a fantastic user of defensive tera. Outside of checking Korai he's also notably the best check to Iron Valiant. He's not too passive either, since Torch Song and Hex can do some good damage, especially with some boosts or in Sun, and against weakened teams it makes Skele a wincon. I think Roar sets are highly underrated, especially as stuff like those SubLefties Korai sets are becoming more popular, and the combo of Unaware + Roar is a great panic button against stuff like that Stored Power Ostrich. Skele's flaws are that he enables some hard-to-check switch-ins off of Korai's U-Turn, and its hard to run Skele without also being weak to Great Tusk or Chi-Yu.

:Great Tusk:
Defensive sets are ass but offensive sets are pretty beast, Headlong Rush and CC hit pretty much everything you want to hit. Access to Rapid Spin gives Tusk a great utility option, securing your squad better against Gholdengo or Glimmora teams, while Knock Off can smack those Air Balloon Gholdengos and greatly nerf stuff like Corviknight. If he gets his Attack boosted from the Sun, he's an absolute nightmare to switch into, and Rapid Spin's speed boost can even make him a great potential wincon.

:Chi-Yu:
Extremely strong mon that is massively underappreciated in the current metagame; Chi-Yu absolutely DEMOLISHES the vast majority of teams right now, thanks to most squads simply having 0 checks to it. Seriously, in the Sun Chi-Yu unironically hits harder that Kyogre does; Specs will usually straight up one shot Koraidon switch-ins, which are a lot of team's sole Fire-resist. This isn't even a hard scenario to create either, as Chi-Yu can come in quite easily from Korai's U-Turn, and stuff like Corviknight or Skele can also be easy chances to come-in. The only reason that I don't rank it higher is that he's slow for Ubers current standards, and as such he doesn't do as well against HO teams. Chi-Yu only has two (sorta three) checks in the current meta: Umbrella Blissey, Dacsbund, and getting trapped by Dugtrio.

:Dugtrio:
Speaking of Dugtrio, he's unironically great in the current metagame! Very underrated at the moment too. Trapping Miraidon is just an amazing ability to have, and he can Tera Ground to give him the extra power against trapped mons freaking out and popping their own tera. Since Dugtrio also runs Scarf, he makes for a good option against HO teams as well, despite trappers normally being bad options against offense. Dugtrio's reliability in trapping Miraidon allow you to run mons like Tusk and Clodsire much more reliably, especially since Miraidon typically needs to lower its own stats with Draco or Overheat to break first. Duggy's not seeing much use now due to people disliking trapping and not being used to tera with it, but I see Duggy as a mon that will see much more use as the meta develops over time; trapping is just too good to ignore.

A- Tier

:Grimmsnarl:
Screens are just too valuable to hyper offense to ignore Grimmsnarl. They give offensive teams the chance to set-up against any random mon much more easily, especially in our current tera metagame, and Grimm is by far the best setter of them. Parting Shot is a cool new move that Grimm has, which allows you to get a lot of momentum, but I prefer Play Rough to smack Dark-types who may try to block your set-up. I put Grimm this high because I think offense is pretty damn good right now, and they're hard to ignore especially when tera (which inherently favors offense) allows so many dangerous set-up sweepers.

:Blissey:
Insert wahhh mana loves Blissey quote here. Listen here fucko, Blissey, while a bit passive, quite simply just has insane role compression. She's prolly the only good Iron Bundle switch-in in the whole tier, and while Flip Turn is annoying, it doesn't do that much damage, and you at least have a mon that can take a Specs Hydro to face. Did I mention that Umbrella Blissey is one of the only good switch-ins to Chi-Yu in the entire tier? Also, Blissey can take on Flutter Mane quite well, although it depends on the set. Blissey ALSO functions as one of the better ways to deal with CM Parabolic Charge Miraidon sets, taking them on through Calm Mind sets or Tera Ground. She also has access to Rocks and Healing Wish, which are great options on balance squads to get some momentum or revive a dangerous sweeper such as Chien-Pao. For stall teams (which are definitely still viable), Blissey is literally the only cleric in the entire game, making her and integral part of those squads too.

:Glimmora:
Seriously this mon is so fucking stupid rofl, the ability is downright broken but it wouldn't be so good if he didn't also have the perfect combination of movepool and stats to top it off. Seriously, this fuck has access to EVERY hazard and his own signature Rapid Spin clone which also poisons, not even to mention that he has base 130 Special Attack (FOR WHAT REASON??). Currently I think he's definitely the best HO lead as it's almost impossible for this guy to not at least get 1 toxic spike down before he goes, and Mortal Spin prevents opposing pokemon from setting their own hazards against you (technically it can be blocked by Steel-types, but this also allows Glimmora to just sit there and spam more Spike layers or just hit shit for free). Power Gem and Earth Power are great neutral coverage options and hit stuff like Treads pretty nicely, while Memento or Explosion can be used to prevent Corv's Defog. Glimmora is kinda hard to run outside of pure HO imo, as he has no real defensive utility, but it's something to try in the future, especially as so many important mons in the tier are weak to Toxic Spikes.

:Iron Treads:
A decent mon defensively that provides the best hazard control options in the tier thanks to its Steel/Ground typing giving immunity to Toxic Spikes and a 4X resist to Stealth Rock. EQ/Knock Off/Rocks/Rapid Spin lets you spin comfortably even on Gholdengo and provides Knock Off and Rocks support in one slot, which is quite nice. As a defensive option, the Special Defense or Speed boost you get in Terrain is pretty good and it makes opposing Miraidons have to guess between throwing out Draco to hit other mons or Overheat to hit Treads, and thus it makes your whole squad a lot safer vs. Mirai (as long as you use Treads in combination with other checks!). Treads can also work well enough against Flutter Mane since the Special Defense investment will be useful against it. Treads teams tend to be quite weak against Bundle as having likely 2 or 3 Water-weak pokemon such as Ting-Lu or Skeledirge is pretty hard to cover with the rest of your teammates.

:Dachsbun:
Probably my most controversial placement yet, I think this lil dog is actually very solid due to two very important reasons. The first is that Dacsbund is probably the most reliable Korai switch-in at the moment, as Steel-type coverage is rare thanks to most Korai teching for Skeledirge, and its immunity to Fire-type moves makes it very hard for Korai to just power through with SD like Korai can vs Scream Tail. The second reason is CHI-YU. Do you like losing to Chi-Yu? I don't like losing to Chi-Yu! This dog eats whatever Chi-Yu has to throw at it, literally eating tera Fire Overheat in Sun from Specs Chi-Yu and taking 0 from it, which is amazing. Dacsbund's pure Fairy-typing also gives it a resistance to Chi-Yu's Dark Pulse, so it really is just a great check to it overall. In terms of being passive, Dascbund definitely is a bit passive, but he has higher attacking stats than Scream Tail does, making Play Rough hit not that weak. Dacsbund also has a base 115 defense Body Press to throw around, which is significantly stronger than Corviknight's Body Press and can smack some switch-ins like Treads for good damage. Rocky Helmet is also a viable option to run on your item slot, and the Wish support Dascbund provides can get your Ting-Lu back to good HP. Dacsbund flaw in comparison to Scream Tail is that Scream Tail checks Great Tusk much better thanks to getting the defense boost in sun, and Scream Tail also has access to good utility moves with Stealth Rock, Twave or Perish Song.

:Scream Tail:
Scream Tail is pretty passive but it has a big niche as by far the best check to Great Tusk in the tier. He also comes in and usually checks Korai (although you can occasionally be cheesed) which gives you great role compression. I actually think Perish Song is a good option on it as it prevents Ting-Lu from setting hazards on you (you can switch over to Corv and Defog on the countdown Ting), and it will limit Korai and other mons from just sitting there and setting up in your face, but Rocks are of course always good. Rocky Helmet gotta be the best item to help you not be so passive. Overall I think this mon is hella underused rn which is why Great Tusk is breaking teams left and right.

:Iron Valiant:
I think Valiant is a pretty good HO sweeper, Booster Energy gives you easy Speed and SD + Spirit Break/CC breaks most of the tier bar Skeledirge and some other things like Pex. Tera Fairy can give you the power to beast through neutral defensive mons like the above Fairy-types. Your last moveslot is fairly flexible, Knock Off can be good as a way to at least cripple Skeledirge before switching out, while Shadow Sneak can prevent Flutter Mane in sun from revenge killing you.

:Gothitelle:
Shadow Tag is actually broken and nobody is using Goth rn due to their distaste for it, but it will become used on higher level tour games down the road as it can trap most defensive mons easily. I'm not rating higher ATM since HO is quite good but I expect to see Goth go even higher in the future.

B+ Tier

:Iron Moth:
A great option for HO teams, especially as its the only good offensive TSpikes absorber for them to run (outside of your own Glimmora). Agility Sets with Fiery Dance/Sludge Wave and Booster Energy are pretty good; after an Agility you outrun the whole tier and are resistant to Chien-Pao's Ice Shard. Needs some support if you want to get past Ting-Lu or Blissey.

:dondozo:
I unironically think this thing is pretty good, its physical bulk is massive and its pure water-typing means its one of the few things that can comfortably switch into Great Tusk without toooooo much issue. Thanks to Unaware and Curse, Dondozo can actually just BODY offensive teams if/when Mirai is gone. No joke, I've won games where Dondozo has swept a whole team from 30% by just sitting there and setting up Curses while healing up with only Protect + Lefties. Earthquake is your best coverage option and it does a neat 50% to Mirai switch-ins, which is not bad at all. This mon has the same flaw as Ting-Lu which is not having reliable recovery, so he requires support such as T-Spikes absorption or Duggy trapping Mirai to function well. If you can manage that, then you'll get access to a very strong all-rounder unaware physical wall and potential wincon with curse.

:Toxapex:
Passive as FUCK since it lost Knock Off and Scald. Pex is still good though, Rocky Helmet + Regenerator can get the job done in a Knock Off-less meta and it provides a good check to Korai and Chien-Pao and Valiant and a lot of other things. Toxic Spikes are also just good so absorbing/setting them can be amazing depending on the matchup. Pex's ground weakness is definitely a major drain on it, letting stuff like Great Tusk go ham.

:Clodsire:
A good defensive mon, it's usually hard outclassed by Ting-Lu but it has a role on hard stall or when paired with Dugtrio to secure the Miraidon match-up. Clod absorbing T Spikes is really quite useful, and access to Toxic itself is a rare and useful move. Hard walls CM Parabolic Mirai which Ting can sometimes lose against. Clod unfortunately is completely vulnerable to Dugtrio, unable to do significant damage to hit and getting one shot by Earthquake.

:Froslass:
An underrated HO lead that has a niche thanks to it having a fast Taunt, Spikes, Icy Wind, and a really good ability in Cursed Body (which has an over 50% chance of happening between two hits). Froslass notably can anti-lead Glimmora; while its not always reliable, Cursed Body can block Mortal Spin spam which lets you set up a Spike and keep it up, while Lass's special attacks and Taunt will prevent Glimmora from laying down its own hazards. Depending on their set though, you will occasionally just die to like Poison + Power Gem, so the whole MU can be a guessing game. Froslass being a Ghost-type also stops Rapid Spin from the elephants, definitely a nice trait to have.

B Tier

:Hippowdon: + :Garganacl: + :Houndstone:
I think this is the best combination of Sand mons, Hippo can check Korai thanks to its massive physical bulk and setting sand which removes Orichalcum Pulse's boost. Garganacl is a beast in the sheets, it can check Flutter Mane reliably and its special bulk in sand is just insane. His ability is actually borked too, a complete immunity to status in addition to a Ghost resist is pretty damn good, not to mention he also has access to Recover. Houndstone just does Last Respects things, can be a bit gimmicky in the Ubers tier since Korai's sun will prevent your Sand Rush from being usable, but otherwise it can be extremely dangerous when some mons are down. It may be a good idea to pack a tera normal on a lot of your teams just so you at least have an option against a rampaging Houndstone.

:Roaring Moon:
Idk it just seems like it has pretty bad 4MSS, it can be pretty strong in Sun though it tends to get revenge killed easily. Tera Flying is a somewhat popular set since it can take advantage of Bpress/U-Turn Corvs, which is decent. No strong thoughts on this guy yet.

:Gholdengo:
This mon looks so terrible holy shit, literally banana ice cream man. The ability is borked though! Gholdengo can struggle against Treads or Tusk teams which can Knock Off its Air Balloon then EQ it, so it's not great at preventing their spin. For defensive utility, it doesn't really do anything, so it can also be a not-very-useful-mon against HO. It can absolutely wreck havoc on unprepared balances though. I view this mon as pretty fishy at the moment, but it may end up being extremely good or really bad and I can't decide which yet!

:Scovillain:
Moody is broken and just autowins some games, even against offense. The only reason moody was legal in past gens was due to Glalie being absolutely terrible. With the right boosts it can be rly hard to deal with without phazing tbh, Leech Seed gives it great stalling ability.

B- Tier

:Palafin-Hero:
Usually just a worse Chien-Pao IMO, its ability means you have to awkwardly get its normal form in the game first which can be annoying. In theory it breaks everything but half the time it comes out in Sun, and at other times you may be taking a billion % from Wave Crash or Rocky Helmets. I think Band Liquidation sets are the best and they are OK. Having a 60 BP priority move is at least pretty useful against HO, so you do have some general use against breaking balances and revenging offense.

:Ditto:
Terra is pretty annoying for it. I never liked Ditto, it always seemed MU fishy to me, but the meta leaning offense with big dragons of course gives it a decent niche.

:Espathra:
Weird mon, very hard for some teams without stuff like Toxic or Roar to deal with. You know what it's gonna do every time and can plan accordingly though. Kinda fishy mon.

C+ Tier

:Kingambit:
Awesome looking mon! It's low Speed and reliance on Sucker Punch are big factors limiting it. Truthfully, Supreme Overlord is a really damn good ability, but Kingambit has to rely on throwing out attacks that are at most 85 base power and without good neutral coverage. I think it has a place on some HO squads as a last mon, not just because of Supreme Overlord, but because it has good defensive bulk and type which can work well in screens and be useful against Flutter Mane and Ditto.

:Maushold:
Potentially very dangerous but hard loses to Rocky Helmet Corv lmao. It also generally has a very hard time ever setting up. Tidy Up is an amazing move though!

:Dragapult:
Fast and ignores screens which is cool but it just seems eh

C Tier

:Tinkaton:
Unironically I think it's barely viable, it's typing is OP and its special bulk is near-Magearna level. Gigaton/Knock/Rocks/Twave makes for a decent specially defensive set that can switch into Flutter Mane and Bundle pretty comfortably.

:Alomomola: :Avalugg:
Just kinda mid stall mons.

:Cyclizar:
I don't know guys, this thing doesn't seem that good? I guess it occasionally pops off hard, but most of the time you know exactly what its gonna do when it comes in, and it doesn't threaten shit. On Screens I'd rather use another sweep or suicide lead.

OK that's it for now may update later!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)