Project Personal OU Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
approved by ironwater

Continuing off from last generation, The Personal OU Viability Rankings is here! The concept is very simple: post your own VR. Explanations for certain rankings are not necessary but ofcourse welcome!

See my own Personal VR below for an example!

Milo

I'm Your Man
is a Community Contributor
S Rank:
(Pokemon I feel are very splashable on any team and are versatile in the sets they can run)

S Rank

:Gholdengo: Gholdengo

S- Rank

:Chien-Pao: Chien-Pao
:Great Tusk: Great Tusk

A Rank:

A+ Rank

(Pokemon I feel help shape the metagame and make it what it is, whilst having some weaknesses to them to keep them balanced)

:Dondozo: Dondozo
:Dragapult: Dragapult
:Dragonite: Dragonite
:Espathra: Espathra
:Garganacl: Garganacl
:Iron Valiant: Iron Valiant
:Kingambit: Kingambit
:Roaring Moon: Roaring Moon
:Ting Lu: Ting-Lu

A Rank

:Amoonguss: Amoonguss
:cinderace: Cinderace
:Corviknight: Corviknight
:Glimmora: Glimmora
:Grimmsnarl: Grimmsnarl
:Rotom-Wash: Rotom-Wash
:Skeledirge: Skeledirge

A- Rank

:Breloom: Breloom
:Clodsire: Clodsire
:Garchomp: Garchomp
:Hatterene: Hatterene
:Iron Moth: Iron Moth
:Iron Treads: Iron Treads
:Quaquaval: Quaquaval
:Scizor: Scizor
:Volcarona: Volcarona

B Rank:
(The Pokemon I feel hold a certain niche in the metagame and require specific teambuilding to allow them to actually be good, or generally have one role in the metagame)

B+ Rank

:Barraskewda: Barraskewda
:Baxcalibur: Baxcalibur
:Iron Hands: Iron Hands
:Meowscarada: Meowscarada
:Slowking: Slowking
:Torkoal: Torkoal
:Toxapex: Toxapex

B Rank

:Blissey: Blissey
:Ditto: Ditto
:Orthworm: Orthworm
:Pawmot: Pawmot
:Pelipper: Pelipper
:Tyranitar: Tyranitar

B- Rank

:Azumarill: Azumarill
:Floatzel: Floatzel
:Iron Jugulis: Iron Jugulis
:Masquerain: Masquerain
:Slither Wing: Slither Wing
:Tauros-Paldea-Fire: Tauros-Paldea-Fire

C Rank:
(the garbage mons that hold some form of value individually pulling off some form of niche viability)

C+ Rank

:Gyarados: Gyarados
:Hawlucha: Hawlucha
:Hippowdon: Hippowdon
:Iron Thorns: Iron Thorns
:Pincurchin: Pincurchin
:Scovillain: Scovillain

C Rank

:Arcanine: Arcanine
:Brute Bonnet: Brute Bonnet
:Ceruledge: Ceruledge
:Chansey: Chansey
:Charizard: Charizard
:Cloyster: Cloyster
:Gallade: Gallade
:Gastrodon: Gastrodon
:Hydreigon: Hydreigon
:Lokix: Lokix
:Magnezone: Magnezone
:Maushold: Maushold
:Mimikyu: Mimikyu
:Polteageist: Polteageist
:Scream Tail: Scream Tail
:Slowbro: Slowbro
:Sylveon: Sylveon
:Talonflame: Talonflame

D Rank:
(the garbage mons)

D Rank

:Avalugg: Avalugg

:Alomomola: Alomomola
:Cetitan: Cetitan
:Gengar: Gengar
:Haxorus: Haxorus
:Indeedee: Indeedee
:Kilowattrel: Kilowattrel
:Klefki: Klefki
:Quagsire: Quagsire
:Rabsca: Rabsca
:Rotom-Heat: Rotom-Heat
:Salamence: Salamence
:Sandy Shocks: Sandy Shocks
:Umbreon: Umbreon

Last edited:
Oh boy, this'll be fun. Bolded my new additions that I think will eventually make the VR. If I have time later I'll do write ups for the new additions to justify them, because I think some might view it as... well, just strange without explanation. I've explained the new mons that were included at the bottom. Poor Hariyama doesn't get to be on the list after Chi Yu went to fish heaven.

S Rank:
(Pokemon I feel are very splashable on any team and are versatile in the sets they can run)

S Rank

S- Rank

A Rank:
(Pokemon I feel help shape the metagame and make it what it is, whilst having some weaknesses to them to keep them balanced)

A+ Rank
:Cinderace: Cinderace

A Rank

A- Rank

B Rank:
(The Pokemon I feel hold a certain niche in the metagame and require specific teambuilding to allow them to actually be good, or generally have one role in the metagame)

B+ Rank

B Rank

B- Rank
:Golduck: Golduck
:Toedscruel: Toedscruel

C Rank:

(the garbage mons that hold some form of value individually pulling off some form of niche viability)

C+ Rank
:Vaporeon: Vaporeon

C Rank

:Dragalge: Dragalge
:Grafaiai: Grafaiai
:Tauros-Paldea-Water: Tauros-Paldea-Water
:Tinkaton: Tinkaton

D Rank:

(the garbage mons)

D Rank

New mon explanations:
:Golduck: Golduck
Rain team's best and really only special sweeper, NP+3 moves is very difficult to wall after your checks are softened up. Very underplayed but given the right conditions, it will punch holes through teams. Only viable on rain teams but this doesn't stop Barraskewda and Floatzel from being highly regarded.
:Toedscruel: Toedscruel
Great resists and the only mon to be able to status Gholdengo and Garganacl, some of the most important mons in the tier. Great coverage and utility. Rapid Spin and Knock Off with hazards is great role compression, can run Spore or Toxic for status, and Earth Power is the only STAB really needed on most sets to threaten key mons. A ton of flexibility and roles it can fill, honestly a relatively unexplored option in the metagame.
:Vaporeon: Vaporeon
I'll continue to link this until Vaporeon gets ranked.
One of the better defensive Tera mons, enormous defense with Recover+Rapid Spin is pretty valuable, and Curse/Iron Defense+Body Press sets can win games if positioned correctly. Oh by the way this thing gets Sturdy+Mirror Coat if you really want to lure mons like Gholdengo. Ice Body+Leftovers with Slowking Chilly Reception on Balance or Stall is super underrated.
:Dragalge: Dragalge
Nominated here. I love the AV set to blanket check most special attackers, but Specs against Balance and Bulky Offense just wins games. Lots of Tera possibilities, and Poison coverage to threaten the Fairy types wanting to switch into Draco Meteor makes this mon difficult to switch into. Adaptability working with Tera is surprisingly powerful, even without Specs.
:Grafaiai: Grafaiai
A very unpredictable mon with a lot of utility options. People have explored the Prankster Parting Shot pivot set, but the Poison Touch set I posted here is really difficult to handle for many teams. Taunt/Encore is great to cover set up and stall, and Black Sludge Switcheroo can cripple walls. A bit on the frail side but still a ton of options to explore.
When you want a water mon to check Chien Pao and you don't want to play Azumarill or Quaquaval. RestTalk is probably its best set, but mixed bulk AV is pretty effective with Wish support. Don't sleep on its offensive sets either, Bulk Up+3 moves can catch unprepared teams off guard and sweep, you just have to choose between Wild Charge and Earthquake for what you want to hit. Not anywhere near as good as its Fire counterpart, but still a ton of fun.
:Tinkaton: Tinkaton
Great typing and an excellent support movepool. Gigaton Hammer is a great exclusive, and you have Stealth Rocks, Knock Off, Encore, and Thunder Wave to choose from to round out the arsenal. People have tried the SD set but I think its pretty mid. Pretty poor offensive stats is disappointing but it has arguably the best dual typing in the game and good enough bulk and movepool to make it work. Also a great Chien Pao emergency button if you need it. One of the few Mold Breaker mons that can status Gholdengo and Garganacl, and if you really want to run SD, you can actually break through Unaware defensive cores while being immune to Toxic.

Last edited:
S+
:gholdengo::great tusk:
tusk is s+ imo cuz it fits on every team that's not cheese. and yes that's even if you have another ground like chomp, clod, or ting-lu. tusk is way too good to the point i think ur doin urself a disservice by not running it

dengo s+ no surprise. broken ability, broken typing, np sets are restricting af. the best garg answer in the game since its one of the few cloak users that ur also not using to absorb knock
S
:chien-pao:
pao is cheap and the best attacker rn
A+
:dragapult::dragonite::espathra::garganacl::hatterene::iron valiant::kingambit::rotom-wash::skeledirge::volcarona:
skeledirge is the best unaware mon in the tier cuz it actually fucks shit up. the sub set is ayevon's most fiyah invention: torch song x shadow ball goes nuts. typing is great pre- and post-tera. can even run lefties reliably

pult is the goat of modern gens

meta has been adapting fast to garg. i woulda had it in S if i made this 2 weeks ago

espathra is the definition of dishonest. i love it but even i know it's gotta eventually go. dirge being fiyah af is keeping it balanced (for now)

i have been spamming rotom-w since sv's release. wisp, volt, hydro, goated at keeping momentum for more offensive archetypes and forcing chip cycles for teammates to capitalize on it like in my brotha njnp's spl game. that was a TOUGH win

no mon is scarier than kingambit in the clutch. one of the best tera-users too-- flying, dark, fire, fairy,...
A
:amoonguss::clodsire::corviknight::dondozo::garchomp::glimmora::roaring moon:
chainchomp being meta again is mad funny to me. very hard to switch-into and one of the best spikers rn

clodsire, dondozo, and corv are all dope but a bit too exploitable for my tastes to put in the A+ upper echelon

i personally don't get the glimmora slander as of late. the ability is broken and y'all need to experiment with the other sets. energy ball, power gem, sludge wave, dazzling gleam, memento... like this shit has hella options outside of that spikes/earthpower/mortalspin/sr set. SCARF GLIMMORA IS ALSO SLEPT ON
A-
:cinderace::meowscarada::ting-lu::toxapex:
ting-lu will never be bad but the fact its best option for tusk is ruination is tough. it's also very prone to being tech'd

cind losing to dondozo, garg, and 40% usage tusk is dumb and it has heavy 4mss. its underexplored tho so maybe im hating fasho fasho

strong and fast stab knock is solid. meow is valid

pex is ass but def. not unviable. beating pao is an amazing niche. beats cind too i guess and the broken ostrich w/ tera-psychic
B+
:grimmsnarl::orthworm::scizor:
controversial (?) but orthworm is rly fucking good. this paired with grimmsnarl enable a lot of broken strategies. this might be the only type of cheese that is consistent which is crazyyy
shed tail is broken fr fr
B
:azumarill::baxcalibur::breloom::ceruledge::iron hands::iron moth::iron treads::pawmot::quaquaval::slowking:
bloated tier. everything here is decent but not exactly consistent and a bit too volatile for me to put any higher. baxc, cereludge, iron hands, and azu i swear either feel broken or straight up useless based on the mu. no in between

bulldoze loom is good but ice shard being pao's most common priority of choice rn is tough

iron treads is dogshit. only good on certain HO's
B-
:alomomola::barraskewda::blissey::floatzel::hydreigon::iron jugulis::pelipper::slither wing::tauros-paldea-fire::torkoal:
alomomola is dope on stall, i know Highv0ltag3 likes it a lot

jugulis, skewda, floatzel, pelipper, basically all the rain pussies land here no surprise. rain is a cool mu fish, not exactly consistent tho cuz it gets dicked on by dozo, rotom, and especially dnite

sun is underexplored post chi-yu ban
banded slither wing in sun has no switch-ins. slither wing's defensive sets are dope too, s/o my brotha Storm Zone for putting me on the wave

even tho it doesn't have much longevity tauros is still the best chien-pao answer in the game. being salt cure food and sub fodder for dirge is what holds it back
C+
:abomasnow::arboliva::armarouge::brute bonnet::golduck::indeedee::iron thorns::magnezone::pincurchin::polteageist::sandy shocks::scovillain::scream tail::toedscruel:
u'd be surprised how consistently abomasnow can get up the veil. snow support is also a nice bonus for pao & ice body baxc

pincurchin is objectively shit but the support it provides is godly. like yes im using this shitty urchin but who the fuck cares when my iron valiant is coming in at +1 speed EVERY TIME & there's no item lock??? naw that's insane, ppl sleep. the other quark drive mons abuse it pretty good too. e-terrain is also the only archetype of HO that doesn't lose to dondozo since e-terrain stops rest. u know something is fiyah when u finally convince clean , the biggest hater of shit mons, that a 435bst mon is valid

psychic terrain is also dope because it blocks priority. indeedee itself enables some very dangerous pokemon like armarouge (spl game || high ladder game), polteageist, and ESPECIALLY espathra. psychic seed espathra in terrain is the only ostrich set that can force its way past skeledirge

note: terrain strats feel WAY LESS fishy compared to 7 & 8 cuz there's no tapus or rillaboom screwing you over. ice spinner pao is a nuiscance but not the end of the world. good players should be running icicle crash anyways

loaded dice brute bonnet with a set of tera-blast fire, bullet seed, sucker punch / crunch, and spore is really good on sun. i'm deadass, give it a shot. you'll be surprised, it'll usually get a spore kill and some strong hits off every game

trapping corv and gambit is pretty big. zone is valid.

specs scovillain is the best set

golduck has a unique offensive profile as a rain abuser. s/o Finchinator for putting the world onto it, this thing is mad fun to use
C / C-
:avalugg::brambleghast::chansey::charizard::cetitan::cloyster::flamigo::gallade::gastrodon::gengar::hippowdon::kilowattrel::lokix::masquerain::maushold::quagsire::rabsca::rotom-heat::sylveon::talonflame::tyranitar::veluza::wo-chien:
this tier is pretty much all shitters that shouldn't be used in serious, high level play.

i personally dont think webs r viable
tyranitar is also straight garbage, i fail to see what this does

sorry Mimikyu Stardust ik u have a lokix fetish

Last edited:

1LDK

It's never going to get better
is a Top Team Rater
Oh boy, welcome to my vr, its gonna be more personal and stuff, and its gonna get updated with time and more mons coming, and it has some controversial opinions some of them memes, some of them only theory. The nominations itself are not organized between themselves due to laziness, if there's something I forgot or any doubts you have, just tell me and ill edit the post, I hope you like it

EDIT 1: made on February 21
EDIT 2: made on March 19
EDIT 3: made on April 23

S Rank:

:Garganacl: Gargancl

A Rank:

A+ Rank

A Rank

:Quagsire: and :Clodsire: (They are cute together, look at their happyness)
:Cinderace: Cinderace
:Ting Lu: Ting Lu
:Rotom-Wash: Rotom Wash
:Walking Wake: Walking Wake
:Greninja: Greninja

A- Rank

:Amoonguss: A M O N G U S

B Rank:

B+ Rank

:iron Hands: Iron Hands

B Rank

:Zoroark-Hisui: Zoroark Hisui

B- Rank

:Armarouge: Armarouge
:Indeedee-F: Indeedee F
:Iron Leaves: Iron Leaves

C Rank:
(the more specific mons that hold some form of value individually pulling off some form of niche viability)

C+ Rank

C Rank

:Staraptor: Staraptor
:Decidueye: Decidueye

D Rank:
(Extremly specific mons that are limited to only something)

D Rank

:Toxicroak: Toxicroak

Last edited:
objectively correct takes. if u disagree thats just a skill issue on ur part tbh. also didnt rank c ranks bc i didnt feel like it
1675017464998.png

Oh boy this is gonna be fun

S Rank:

S Rank

A Rank:

A+ Rank

:Greninja: Greninja

A Rank

A- Rank

B Rank:

B+ Rank

B Rank

B- Rank

C Rank:

C+ Rank

C Rank

D Rank:
(the garbage mons)

D Rank

Might as well...

(Unordered within ranks. Differences from standard VR are in bold)

S:
:gholdengo: Gholdengo
:great tusk: Great Tusk

S-:
:garganacl: Garganacl

A+:
:dragapult: Dragapult
:dragonite: Dragonite
:greninja: Greninja
:iron valiant: Iron Valiant
:kingambit: Kingambit
:walking wake: Walking Wake

A:

:hatterene: Hatterene
:roaring moon: Roaring Moon
:rotom-wash: Rotom-Wash
:skeledirge: Skeledirge
:ting-lu: Ting-Lu
:volcarona: Volcarona

A-:
:amoonguss: Amoonguss
:clodsire: Clodsire
:corviknight: Corviknight
:dondozo: Dondozo
:garchomp: Garchomp
:glimmora: Glimmora
:meowscarada: Meowscarada

B+:

:baxcalibur: Baxcalibur
:breloom: Breloom
:iron moth: Iron Moth
:iron hands: Iron Hands
:slowking: Slowking
:zoroark-hisui: Zoroark-Hisui

B:

:azumarill: Azumarill
:ceruledge: Ceruledge
:grimmsnarl: Grimmsnarl
:iron treads: Iron Treads
:torkoal: Torkoal
:toxapex: Toxapex

B-:

:hydreigon: Hydreigon
:orthworm: Orthworm
:pawmot: Pawmot
:pelipper: Pelipper
:quaquaval: Quaquaval
:scizor: Scizor

:slither wing: Slither Wing
:tauros-paldea-fire: Tauros-Paldea-Fire

C+:

:charizard: Charizard
:floatzel: Floatzel
:golduck: Golduck
:hawlucha: Hawlucha
:sandy shocks: Sandy Shocks
:slowbro: Slowbro
:sylveon: Sylveon
:tauros-paldea-water: Tauros-Paldea-Water

C:

:barraskewda: Barraskewda
:gallade: Gallade
:gastrodon: Gastrodon
:gyarados: Gyarados
:hippowdon: Hippowdon
:staraptor: Staraptor
:toedscruel: Toedscruel
:tyranitar: Tyranitar

C-:
:alomomola: Alomomola
:blissey: Blissey
:flamigo: Flamigo
:indeedee: Indeedee
:kilowattrel: Kilowattrel
:magnezone: Magnezone
:masquerain: Masquerain
:polteageist: Polteageist
:quagsire: Quagsire
:rotom-heat: Rotom-Heat
:scovillain: Scovillain

D:

:armarouge: Armarouge
:bellibolt: Bellibolt
:chansey: Chansey
:ditto: Ditto
:lokix: Lokix
:pincurchin: Pincurchin
:scream tail: Scream Tail
:talonflame: Talonflame
:umbreon: Umbreon
:vaporeon: Vaporeon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)