Percentage Perils: A suspect Warstory.

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I've always wanted to write a warstory but I've never had a really close match...untill now. This is a match between myself (Panamaxis) and Seven Deadly Sins. This match was played on the suspect test Ladder so Latias is allowed. Please note that Soul Dew Clause prevents any pokemon from holding the item "Soul Dew"

Panamaxis's team: (in no particular order)

Seven Deadly Sin's Team: (in no particular order)

Key
  • The pokemon's moves will be bolded
  • Panamaxis's comments will be italicised
  • Other text will be underlined.
  • Leftovers will be removed. The following pokemon have leftovers: Azelf, Gyarados and Panamaxis's Metagross.
  • Scores will be shown after each KO.
  • Percentage of health remaining will be shown at the end of each turn.
  • When both players have the same pokemon on the field, Panamaxis's pokemon will be issued with a *.
Damage Key:
  • 81% - 100% health will look like this.
  • 61% - 80% health will look like this.
  • 41% - 60% health will look like this.
  • 21% - 40% health will look like this.
  • 1% - 20% health will look like this.
Rules:
  • Ladder Match
  • Sleep Clause
  • Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause,
  • Evasion Clause,
  • Species Clause,
  • Strict Damage Clause,
  • Soul Dew Clause
Disclaimer: full credit to Ike for the preceding layout.

Let the match begin!

panamaxis sent out Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
Seven Deadly Sins sent out Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran).

vs.

In my experience Heatran leads are most likely holding a shuca berry and know the move Stealth Rock. If I leave my Metagross in I'm risking a KO, but if I switch out he could get a free Stealth Rock. I figure that Seven Deadly Sins will want to get Stealth Rock up and will predict a switch on my behalf, therefore I will stay in and Stealth Rock.

Heatran used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!
Metagross used Stealth Rock.
Metagross: 100%
Heatran: 100%
---

Phew, my prediction pays off and I gain a free Stealth Rock. Now that I have my rocks up its time for metagross to get out of there, so I'll switch to my Heatran counter.

vs.

panamaxis switched in Latias (lvl 100 Latias ?).
Pointed stones dug into Latias.
Latias lost 12% of its health.
Heatran used Fire Blast.
It's not very effective...
Latias lost 26% of its health.
Latias: 72%
Heatran: 100%
---

Latias comes in on the Fire Blast and doesn't take too much damage. Heatran can't touch Latias except for explosion. In my experience Latias will just miss out on the KO so I'm going to switch to metagross in case he explodes. Metagross does well against most of Latias's counters such as blissey and Tyranitar and I doubt he will Fire Blast.

Slade... has entered the room.
vs.

panamaxis switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
Pointed stones dug into Metagross.
Metagross lost 6% of its health.
Seven Deadly Sins switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).

Metagross*: 100%
Metagross: 94%
---

So his Latias counter is a metagross. His metagross does not have leftovers recovery so It is either Choiced or it is holding a life orb. None of my pokemon like to be tricked a Choice Scarf so I'll leave metagross in to scout his move. My metagross is pretty bulky so it should be able to survive even a Choice Banded Earthquake.

vs.

Metagross used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 55% of its health.
Metagross* used Meteor Mash.
Metagross lost 25% of its health.
Metagross's attack was raised.
Metagross*: 51%
Metagross: 69%
---

No Life Orb damage from his Metagross so it's safe to assume it's choiced. I get a lucky attack raise, but it is of no use to me as I'll be KOed next turn. On the basis that he is choiced I'm going to switch to my Gyarados, who if he is choiced will get a free Dragon Dance.

vs.

panamaxis switched in Gyarados (lvl 100 Gyarados ?).
Pointed stones dug into Gyarados.
Gyarados lost 25% of its health.
It doesn't affect Gyarados...
Gyarados: 81%
Metagross: 69%
---

So far so good. I could waterfall here to scout his counter, but I'd rather keep up the offensive pace so I'll opt for a dragon dance.

vs.

Seven Deadly Sins switched in Latias (lvl 100 Latias ?).
Gyarados used Dragon Dance.
Gyarados's attack was raised.
Gyarados's speed was raised.
Gyarados: 87%
Latias: 88%
---

Hmm a latias, I lack Ice Fang, but I do have Bounce. Now gyarados is pretty bulky, so he shouldn't be KOed easily unless Latias has Thunderbolt or a Specs Draco Meteor. I decide to use bounce which will do good damage to Latias. Due to bounce I will regain more leftovers recovery so I'll have a great chance at surviving its attack.

vs.

Gyarados used Bounce.
Gyarados bounced up!
Latias used Draco Meteor.
Latias's attack missed!
Gyarados: 93%
Latias: 88%
---

So he's used a Draco Meteor. I can't change anything now so I wait for my bounce to (hopefully) hit.

vs.

Seven Deadly Sins switched in Magnezone (lvl 100 Magnezone).
Pointed stones dug into Magnezone.
Magnezone lost 6% of its health.
Gyarados used Bounce.
Gyarados's attack missed!
Gyarados: 99%
Magnezone: 94%
---

Well bounce unfortunately missed which is unlucky for me. I don't have Earthquake on my Gyarados and I can't KO magnezone, so I'll switch to my Electric resist.

vs.

Magnezone used Thunderbolt.
Latias lost 29% of its health.
Latias: 31%
---

Thunderbolt did a lot more than I expected to Latias. Seven Deadly Sins doesn't have leftovers on his magnezone so he is probably choiced. Most scarfed Magnezones run a Timid nature and I doubt he will be able to inflict that amount of damage if he is Timid. Also Heatran and Magnezone have the same base special attack and Heatran's Fire Blast only managed 26% on Latias. Therefore two things must be true for this to work.

1) His Heatran has a + Speed Nature, whereas his Magnezone has a + Special Attack Nature
2) His Magnezone is Choice Specsed.

I'm more inclined to lean towards the second option as i believe most leading Heatran's run a Special attack boosting nature. I'm fairly confident that his Magnezone is Specsed so I should be able to outspeed him and recover some health.

vs.

Latias used Roost.
Latias restored 50% of its health.
Magnezone used Thunderbolt.
Latias lost 31% of its health.
Latias: 50%
---

I outsped his Magnezone which confirms my suspicion that he has the item Choice Specs equipped. I doubt he will stay in knowing that I outspeed him and can roost, so I have three options:
1) Roost
2) Surf
3) Draco Meteor.
Seeing as he switched in his metagross to my Latias last time I'm assuming that that is his Latias counter. I'm using RaikouLover's cool Life Orb Latias so I could kill his metagross with two attacks but that would leave me with 30% health and I would be unable to switch Latias into Magnezone. Nothing on my team besides Latias likes taking a specs thunderbolt so I decide the safest course of action is to roost up.

vs.

Latias used Roost.
Latias*: 100%
Latias: 76%
---

A risky move by Seven Deadly Sins, but it pays off nonetheless. Seven Deadly Sins has no way of knowing how much speed I am running on my Latias, but I have no knowledge of his speed either. I can't risk letting my Latias die so I decide I'll send in metagross. I may be able to survive the Draco Meteor and hit Latias with a Bullet Punch, but even If I don't survive, Metagross is my least valuable pokemon so I don't mind sacrificing him.

vs.

panamaxis switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
Latias's attack missed!
Metagross: 51%
Latias: 76%
---

A lucky break for me, Draco Meteor misses. If he decides to Draco Meteor again I might survive, but he may not risk it and switch out. If Latias doesn't kill me, I'm taking something down with me.
vs.

Seven Deadly Sins switched in Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ?).
Pointed stones dug into Heatran.
Heatran lost 12% of its health.
Metagross: ;)
Heatran: uh oh.
KABOOM!
Heatran lost 88% of its health.
YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT!
Seven Deadly Sins's Heatran fainted.
(6-5)
panamaxis's Metagross fainted.
(5-5)
Metagross: X(
Heatran: X(
---

Excellent, Seven Deadly Sins decides to play it safe and he suffers for it. First blood is drawn. I have many options to switch in at the moment. I want to send in something that can do well against whatever he switches in. I could send in my Mixed Salamence which could hurt anything he switches in, but If he sends in something that counters Salamence I'll lose 25% health for nothing. With high speed, special attack and Explosion, I decide sending in Azelf is the best choice.

vs.

panamaxis switched in Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf).
Pointed stones dug into Azelf.
Azelf lost 12% of its health.

So he sent in Latias. I could send in Scizor, but I would take a lot of damage in doing so. Latias walls special Azelf apart from Explosion so Seven Deadly Sins is probably feeling pretty confident in keep Latias in. I decide to get rid of his Latias once and for all..

KAPOW!
Latias lost 63% of its health.
Seven Deadly Sins's Latias was blown into a thousand pieces.
(5-4)
panamaxis's Azelf fainted.
(4-4)
Azelf: X(
Latias: X(
---

If you haven't already guessed I love blowing pokemon up. I'm in the same predicament as last time, I don't want to switch in something weak to SR, so I decide to switch in Scizor.

vs.

panamaxis switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Pointed stones dug into Scizor.
Scizor lost 12% of its health.

So Seven Deadly Sins sends out his Metagross to face my Scizor: Metagross won't be able to KO me so I'm going to U-turn out of there, in case he sends in his Magnezone.

Scizor lost 35% of its health.
Scizor used U-turn.
Metagross lost 56% of its health.
Scizor: 53%
Metagross: 7%
Gyarados: 80%
---

Metagross Earthquake's so I'll send in Gyarados to get a free Dragon Dance.

vs.

Seven Deadly Sins switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence's intimidate cut Gyarados's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Salamence.
Salamence lost 25% of its health.
Gyarados: 86%
Salamence: 75%
---

So he switched in his Dragon to take on my "Dragon". Seven Deadly Sins has seen 3 of my 4 moves, but luckily my fourth move is Stone Edge. I decide to go for the Stone Edge as I don't want to overpredict and lose Gyarados to a Draco Meteor.

vs.

ssbmelee has entered the room.
Gyarados used Stone Edge.
It's super effective!
Salamence lost 75% of its health.
Seven Deadly Sins's Salamence was buried in stones
(4-3)
Gyarados: 91%
Salamence: X(
---

Success! I nail his Salamence with a Stone Edge, which puts me in the lead. Unfortunately Seven Deadly Sins has now seen all four of my moves, and he knows that I lack Earthquake, so I know what awaits me...

RaikouLover has entered the room.
vs.

It's just as I feared, due to Intimidate, I can't KO magnezone and Seven Deadly Sins knows it. He also knows that my Latias is my Magnezone counter. He could predict my switch to Latias, so I could stay in, but then he could just thunderbolt me. He doesn't seem to have a very good Gyarados counter so I'm going to keep gyarados safe and send in Latias.

vs.

Magnezone used Signal Beam.
It's super effective!
Latias lost 67% of its health.
Latias: 21%
Magnezone: 88%
---

Seven Deadly Sins makes a great prediction here and Signal Beam's my Latias for massive Damage. My Latias won't be able to survive many more hits, but if I roost up I can survive one more Signal Beam and hope he switches (although I doubt he will). On the off chance he does switch I decide to roost.

vs.

Latias used Roost.
It's super effective!
Latias lost 59% of its health.
Latias: 12%
Magnezone: 88%
---

Wow, talk about damage variation. Seven Deadly Sins doesn't switch and Latias is almost dead so I'm going to let loose my most powerful attack.

vs.

Magnezone lost 61% of its health.
Latias's special attack was harshly lowered.
Latias lost 10% of its health.
Latias lost 2% of its health.
panamaxis's Latias was zapped to death.
(3-3)
Latias: X(
Magnezone: 27% + :)
---
vs.

Gyarados's intimidate cut Magnezone's attack!

Signal Beam won't do much to Gyarados so it's time to boogie down.

vs.

Seven Deadly Sins switched in Flygon (lvl 100 Flygon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Flygon.
Flygon lost 6% of its health.
Gyarados: 72%
Flygon: 94%
---

Flygon could very well be scarfed, but nothing left on my team likes taking a Stone Edge so I'll leave Gyarados in incase he misses or is not scarfed.

vs.

Flygon used Outrage.
Flygon went on a rampage!
Gyarados lost 73% of its health.
panamaxis's Gyarados fainted.
(2-3)
Gyarados: X(
Flygon: 94% and very angry.
---

Well an Outrage is better for me than a Stone Edge because I have a trusty Dragon resist left. It's Scizor's time to shine. Since he is locked into Outrage I'll get at least one hit on him before he switches out.

vs.

Scizor used Bullet Punch.
Flygon lost 71% of its health.
Flygon used Outrage.
Scizor lost 26% of its health.
Flygon's rampage ended.
Flygon became confused!
Scizor: 13%
Flygon: 23%
---

Flygon's Outrage Ends after 2 turns and I deal some massive damage with bullet punch. I know he still has magnezone left and i know it isn't scarfed because Latias outsped it. I'm predicting his magnezone switch in so I'll switch to Salamence to get the KO.

vs.

panamaxis switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence's intimidate cut Flygon's attack!
Pointed stones dug into Salamence.
Salamence lost 25% of its health.
Salamence: 75%
Magnezone: 21%
---

Great. My prediction pays off and I catch his magnezone switching in. From memory I know he has a metagross, Magnezone and flygon left. Flygon is significantly weakened so nothing on his team can safely switch into my flamethrower. Somethings going to die...

vs.

Salamence used Flamethrower.
It's super effective!
Magnezone lost 21% of its health.
Seven Deadly Sins's Magnezone fainted.
(2-2)
Salamence lost 10% of its health.
Salamence: 65%
Magnezone: X(
---

vs.

So Metagross is sent out to face my Salamence and I'm very happy. If he had sent out flygon, he would've won the game, but thoughts differ in the battle, from those from outside it. I can't switch in scizor or he will die so I have one option: Flamethrower!

Metagross used Meteor Mash.
Salamence lost 63% of its health.
Salamence used Flamethrower.
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 1% of its health.
Seven Deadly Sins's Metagross fainted.
(2-1)
Salamence lost 2% of its health.
panamaxis's Salamence fainted.
(1-1)
---

So his Metagross was scarfed and Salamence hangs on by the skin of its genes. Both pokemon faint and the scores are level. If Scizor can surivive Stealth Rock damage, I will win, if not Seven Deadly Sins will win. here goes nothing...

RaikouLover: damn
panamaxis: good game

vs.

Seven Deadly Sins switched in Flygon (lvl 100 Flygon ?).
Pointed stones dug into Flygon.
Flygon lost 6% of its health.

RaikouLover: warstory

Scizor hung on by 1%!
Scizor used Bullet Punch!
Flygon lost 18% of its health!
Seven Deadly Sins's Flygon fainted!
(1-0)
panamaxis wins!

Scizor hangs on and I win the game by 1%. Great game Seven Deadly Sins and thank you for letting me warstory this fight. Time for Slops and Props.

Props:
  • Prediction
  • Scizor, Salamence and SDS's metagross for all hanging on by 1%/ 2%
  • Explosion. I love the move, because it causes so much damage.
  • Seven Deadly Sins, for being a great opponent.
  • Warmachine Version 1.0 for formatting this Warstory.
Slops:
Prediction (yes I know this is in both Props and Slops but it's great when it works for you and sucks when it works against you)

To warstory hopefuls out there, take note; this is what it's all about. Not narrating each move, but drawing you into the fight. Making you feel like it's you playing, running the reader through your head and letting them know what your thinking and trying to predict. There's that, and that you need a damn good battle, like this one.

This is easily one of the best warstory I've read to date. It was a freaking fantastic match with a whole lot of depth to it. It was well formatted and the commentary was spectacular. It doesn't get much better than this. Good job!

EDIT: Just read LR's warstory and I had to revise one of my statements, sorry!

Great warstory. It was a pretty good battle too. Good prediction and such, though I probably woulda kept Gyarados in so you could abuse Latias... shes cuter :-D.

Anyway, I chuckled quite a bit when I saw the Explosions. Explosion is EASILY the most broken move in the game.. and my current ladder team has 3 exploders haha.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lol RL. Could be true though. I hate that Metagross' Explosion. It killed my Bold 252 HP / 252 Def Cress.

Anyways, great warstory, winning by 1%.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Great warstory panamaxis =). It really shows the amazing level of play between two highly ranked battlers. Your comments are in depth and showed your thought process, and the sprites at every turn are a very nice touch and it makes it really clear what's going on to the reader.

Really enjoyable read, congrats.

LR.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That was an excellent warstory. The conversation with the pokemon thing is getting a little old, but the battle itself really didn't need it. When you look at the two teams on paper, it looks like you're running bulky offense, but when you read the warstory, it played out much more like pure offense, a few fast-paced game based on prediction, resistances, and surviving hits in order to hit back.

Nice warstory Panamaxis :)
especially that part when you just barely hang on from Stealth Rocks' damage.

I really liked the warstory, well played, well formatted.

Just I don't like the underlined text... :| I might be the only one but...

absolutely riveting.

well done good sir, excellent read.

EDIT: the underlined text bugs me too, i much prefer italicized comments, but it's a small thing. ;)

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Thanks for the comments guys. I've changed the underlined text into italics so hopefully that makes it easier for you guys to read.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Great stuff, guys. I really enjoyed playing this battle, and it really was a close one. Also, damn your exploding Azelf, though to be fair I should have switched to Gross on it, but ah well. Hindsight is 20/20. Props to Panamaxis for a great battle!

Great Warstory!!. But a question, why do you use Roost in Latias, when you can use Recover without removing Levitate? It's not part Flying, so it's not affected to the ice weakness...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)