Pelipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Name:Pelipper
Type:Water/Flying
Abilities: Keen Eye: Opponent cannot lower this Pokemon's accuracy.
Dream World: Rain Dish: If rain is in effect, this Pokemon recovers 1/16th max hit points at the end of battle.
Stats:
HP: 60
Att: 50
Def: 100
SpA: 85
SpD: 70
Spe: 65
Code:
[B]Level Up:
[/B]1. Submersion
1. Growl
1. Water Gun
1. Water Sport
1. Wing Attack
6. Supersonic
11. Wing Attack
16. Mist
19. Water Pulse
24. Payback
25. Protect
31. Roost
38. Stockpile
38. Swallow
38. Spit Up
43. Fling
50. Tailwind
57. Hydro Pump
63. Gale
[B]
TMs/HMs:
[/B]TM06: Toxic
TM07: Hail
TM10: Hidden Power
TM13: Ice Beam
TM14: Blizzard
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM17: Protect
TM18: Rain Dance
TM21: Frustration
TM27: Return
TM32: Double Team
TM40: Aerial Ace
TM42: Facade
TM44: Rest
TM45: Attract
TM46: Thief
TM48: Sing A Round
TM55: Boiling Water
TM56: Fling
TM58: Free Fall
TM66: Payback
TM68: Giga Impact
TM87: Swagger
TM88: Pluck
TM89: U-turn
TM90: Substitute
HM02: Fly
HM03: Surf

[B]Egg Moves and Pre-evo
[/B]Mist
Twister
Agility
Gust
Water Sport
Aqua Ring
Knock Off
Brine
Roost
Quick Attack
Pursuit
Air Slash
Alright! I know how many people have just been itching to here about the wonderful world of Pelipper, scourge of hoenn. Ahahaha, ya... well this is Pelipper, don't expect to see it in competitive play anytime, but hey, once they come out with a UU tier, maybe he'll stand a chance. First, here's a few pro's and con's about the big guy.

Pro's:
-His defenses are decent, and he has quite a nice support move pool to support them.
-His new ability rain dish helps him a hell of a lot more than keen eye ever did
-He has a fairly good typing for a defensive wall, resisting fighting, grass, fire, water, steel, and bug.

Con's:
-Blastoise, Tentacruel (and of course ludicolo), all have rain dish now... so the option of bulky rain dish abuser is kinda limited.
-Gets destroyed by the ever present electric attacks
-5th gen added another water bird *GASP*
- Well... bad stats

Soooo, here's a couple sets I cam up with, note that every set still works without rain dish for the time being, while dream world abilities are being sorted out, but it helps him a lot.

HA, can't do this can ya Swanna?
Pelipper @ Leftovers / Damp Rock
252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpA
Bold
Rain Dish

Roost
Boil Over
Knock Off / Toxic / Rain Dance
Air Slash / Gale / Toxic / Ice Beam

Well, its a basic wall. Pelipper uses its basic defenses and useful resitances to get in, and attacks accordingly. Boil over does decent damage (especially in the rain) and can screw over physical attackers. Roost of course heals you. The final 2 slots depend on a few things. Rain dance and damp rock can be use, as it can benifit your team. Politoed would help this set of course, but due to quite a few reasons, they probably won't get to share a team spot for quite a while. Toxic helps do residual damage, as peli's offense is rather average, and knock off gets rid of annoying leftovers on apposing walls. Air slash and Ice beam hit grasses. Gale should only be used with rain support, but is quite interesting if it does have rain. Firstly, it has 100% accuracy in the rain, with 10pp (not bad). Then 120 base power will hit hard, even from 85 base SpA. Finally it has a chance to confuse which can help.

Move over Mantine, I sweep now!
Pelipper @ Life Orb
252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Modest
Rain Dish

Hydro Pump
Gale
Ice Beam
Agility

Ya this set is guaranteed to fail, but hey, you may cause your opponent to laugh for so long the timer runs out? First let me say ONLY use this set in the rain, as it is totally outclassed otherwise. First merit of this set, sheer base power. Hydro pump and gale are both 120 base power stab moves, hydro pump getting a 50% boost from the rain and Gale getting an accuracy boost. Agility is here to fix that terrible speed stat, putting it at 458 after a boost. You can fix the speed, so that you just out-speed electrode and move a few EV's to HP, but I'm lazy. Ice beam is filler, hitting a couple things harder than its main stabs. Rain dish helps nullify life orb recoil, letting it survive a bit longer.

Well that's about it really... lets see what else could Pelipper do. A choice set could work somewhat, with hydro/gale/ice beam/u-turn, but its slow speed and weak SpA hurt this prospect. Stockpile is a decent option, but it has some very exploitable weaknesses that can easily stop it even at +3. Surf can work on the sweeper if you want reliability, but it needs the power of hydro pump to do as much damage as possible off that 85 SpA. Finally tailwind deserves a mention, as it got bumped up to 4 turns this gen. Its kinda bulky and could use the speed support on a team

Anyways, discuss to your hearts content, not much to say aside from don't expect to see this guy around to much.

breh

強いだね
For the first rain set, why are you running rain Dance? Unless Politoed gets banned, you shouldn't be using it IMO.

Otherwise, do you need to run max speed in the last set? What in particular do you outspeed? In fact, you should be running Timid if you want to outspeed base 100 Scarfed pokemon after an Agility (less than max evs though; you need to get a stat of 247 and that's as high as you should ever shoot).

Pelipper is a sad pokemon. If it had maybe 100 base HP it would be a great UU wall and would have dominated last gen...

So much wasted potential :(

Rain Dish did give it somewhat of a chance for Pelipper to pull it's own weight around, but it just dosn't have the stats to pull off a very effective sweeper or wall... Dual STAB Hydro Pump and Gale along with rain dish can help it sweep unprepared teams in the lower tiers though.

stockpile+Rain Dish+leftovers+Roost+protect seems quite annoying one Rain is up. A pokemon in rain which heals 1/8(1/4 with good Protect predictions) of its max HP(without using Roost) having a +3 bonus on both defences, with a STAB-Rain boosted Boiling water
(80×1.5×1.5=180 BP)with 30%chance of burning, which halves your attack

ouch

Otherwise, do you need to run max speed in the last set? What in particular do you outspeed? In fact, you should be running Timid if you want to outspeed base 100 Scarfed pokemon after an Agility (less than max evs though; you need to get a stat of 247 and that's as high as you should ever shoot).
Like I said, I was to lazy to figure out any real important EV spreads into speed, might do it a bit later but w.e. I chose modest because its SpA is pathetic already and it needs all the help it can... not really sure if it nets any OHKOs or 2HKOs over 2 or 3's respectively. But if you think outpacing base 100 scarfs is that important then by all means, use a timid nature

Pelipper as a physical wall/toxic staller in DPP UU was very good. It could wall any fighting type that didn't have boosted Stone Edge, beat Feraligatr almost every time and Azumarill every time, could toxic stall a lot of things and could tank physical hits very well. Stealth rock weakness and being taken down by Venusaur (who's easily on over 20% of UU teams) made it difficult, but I always used Pelipper. I'm waiting for the 5th Gen metagame to get a UU tier going, maybe I can bring it back... Windstorm+Rain Dish in rain could certainly help it, although Politoed may not be permitted when B/W UU comes around.

I've been using a pelipper and I have to say that, right now, it is doing great. It can defeat the common fighting types with ease using windstorm, recover health using roost. I also use submersion to mess up the switching tyranitar or random pokemon to nullify their stabs (it is also awesome to see tyranitar being damaged by its own sandstorm).
Hidden power eletric is useful to hit the pokemon that were affected by submersion for super effective damage.
I will list some pokemon that it is able to defeat and that are usually quite annoying to most pokemon - scizor, breloom (if holding lum berry), roobushin, machamp (beware of stone edge and the rare thunderpunch though), most grass and bug pokemon, gyarados, jirachii, physical bulky waters and even nattorei, if used right.
My pelipper has no water attacks because I have other pokemon that use those.

The set I'm using right now is this:

Pelipper @ life orb 236 hp/ 160 def/ 112 special attack
Modest Nature
Rain Dish

- Roost
- Submersion
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power Eletric

Rain dish helps with pelipper's recoil from life orb. A good partner would be lanturn, that can take the incoming stone attacks and also absorb the obvious eletric attacks directed at pelipper. It has good special bulk too, which pelipper lacks.

breh

強いだね
Because Politoed is OU and Pelipper probably won't be (just a hunch).
You must realize that quote was a little bit less than 3 months ago. I don't think the Smogon server even existed at that time (or was barely working (can't remember), at which point shaymin and Darkrai were kicking too much ass for rain to be the most important issue)..

Submersion seems like a really cool move. Pity that Pelipper doesn't have Thunder and has to rely on HP to hit water types.

You must realize that quote was a little bit less than 3 months ago. I don't think the Smogon server even existed at that time (or was barely working (can't remember), at which point shaymin and Darkrai were kicking too much ass for rain to be the most important issue)..

Submersion seems like a really cool move. Pity that Pelipper doesn't have Thunder and has to rely on HP to hit water types.

Pelipper with thunder or even volt change would be awesome. It can learn U-Turn, so an eventual volt change isn't that impossible (just a little).

Another good pelipper partner would be seaking. It can defeat grass types with megahorn or even poison jab, has waterfall that deals nice damage in the rain and its dream world ability is lightning rod. This particular ability is awesome, since most people know nothing about NU/UU pokemon and will just spam an eletric move over and over.

breh

強いだね
Pelipper with thunder or even volt change would be awesome. It can learn U-Turn, so an eventual volt change isn't that impossible (just a little).

Another good pelipper partner would be seaking. It can defeat grass types with megahorn or even poison jab, has waterfall that deals nice damage in the rain and its dream world ability is lightning rod. This particular ability is awesome, since most people know nothing about NU/UU pokemon and will just spam an eletric move over and over.
TBH since Seaking sucks I feel that Zapdos would fit better on a (DW admittedly) Rain team. hell even manectric is better.

TBH since Seaking sucks I feel that Zapdos would fit better on a (DW admittedly) Rain team. hell even manectric is better.
Well i doubt ud see zapdos on a team with a peliper... and they do share some weaknesses. If your going for an NUish rain team... seaking, lanturn, manectric... all have decent synergy with peliper. Some other good partners could be zebrika, raichu, and emonga who all love to take those electric attacks aimed at peliper.

Actually if you want to be particularly cheeky, Maggyo and peliper make quite a decent defensive combo. Maggyo of course takes electric and rock attacks, while peli is immune to ground, resists water, and is neutral to grass and ice. They both benefit somewhat form the rain too.

With Drizzle + Swift Swim having been banned, has anyone tried using this guy lately? Aside from Swanna, Pelipper is the only Pokemon that gets stab on both water attacks and Hurricane. And Swanna doesn't have Rain Dish (it gets Hydration but who knows when that will be released). Though I'm not sure if Hurricane and an Electric and Rock weakness are worth using it over Ludicolo at all.

I plan on running soak, toxic, sky drop, roost. The idea here is to use pellipers bulk and the ability to toxic all non-immunity pokemon in the game. toxic+sky drop is great with leftovers and especially if you have rain on. soak is there to cure your toxic and sky drop woes and roost allows you to stay healthy. I've also got volt absorb lanturn for those pesky electric type attacks. Hopefully it works as well as it looks on paper

I don't think a hidden power type that is super-effective on Water types is needed with Soak, because a STAB Hurricane has a 180 BP while SE HP has a BP of 140. I might try Pelipper out for fun, Hydro Pump/Hurricane in the rain sounds nice even though Pelipper is pretty bad. Possible Scizor counter though, like Gyara...

shittyper is still shit

hasn't gained anything new this gen outside of Hurricane. I'd only see a stallish set of Knock Off/Stockpile/Roost/Surf. Maybe U-Turn over Surf. IDK. Pelipper is still bad.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
It got Hurricane, Scald, Rain Dish, Soak, Tailwind and Drizzle Politoed. I wouldn't call that nothing.

Rain Dish Pelipper + Ferrothorn in rain. Need I say more?

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Yes you do. Rain stall can make good use of his soak and toxic. Hell, whirlpool wouldn't be too bad either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)