Gen 5 (Peaked #1) SHOOTIN STARS, VoltTurn ft. ebelt Rachi, ChainChomp, & HP Grass Rotom

Introduction
Hello! I'm zaaya, while I'm mostly known as a BSS player now what most don't know is I've always been quite the OU ladder fiend since ORAS dropped always laddering on alts, I just never translated it into much 6v6 tournament success until more recently. I started playing BW last year taking a quite a liking for the tier and qualified for invi's, where I made it to quarterfinals before I fell to the pohjman. I aim to take another shot at the ribbon/maaaaybe sign up for spl next year, but for now let's start segwaying into the team and my play/building style.

BO is my bread and butter, nothing makes me happier than loading up Lando Rotom + brokens in any tier. I spend more time in the teambuilder than I care to admit, prolly the chief reason why I'm still playing this dogass game! It's genuinely the best way I can express my creativity, I love pushing the envelope testing uNIquE build comps and sets, trying to find whatever can best exploit the meta I'm playing. I'm very lurecentric and a lot of my teams are built with the mindset of overwhelming or baiting checks/counters, as you'll see here. I usually keep my teams and information as a whole very close to my chest, but I'm trying to break that habit here and there (my teams get stolen anyways:( ) and this team is one I'm extremely proud of and reflects me as a player & builder so I figure this is a good start :) I hope you enjoy!

Teambuilding process

I was dabbling in ADV two weeks ago and was yet again taken aback by how good colorful Jirachi sets can be in older gens, and figured why not give it an honest try in the motherland? It hasn't disappointed :D I opted for full coverage Expert Belt as there's very little it doesn't smack and while lefties was tempting the extra damage boost is needed to be the most effective lure it can be, the next step for me was to use something that could take advantage of its luring prowess.

Scarf Landorus fit the bill and came naturally, it hugely appreciates Rachi's ability to lure Skarm, Ferro, Gliscor, opposing Landorus, and chunk most waters hard so it has an easy time cleaning up late game.

I added Banded Terrakion as well bc while I already did have a lure for Lando I value having a straight battering ram to aid my gameplan in case the lure is avoided, or to just further abuse the openings the lure has made and force kills further pushing my advantage. I also like having a mon not named Ttar that can take a hit from +1 Volc when my scarfer of choice is slower, as the "just keep Ttar healthy bro" Volc mu is, shaky at best lol.

Obigatory Ttar, you know the drill. Having Rachi is a nice soft check to the psychics but obviously gets hammered by specs Draco's and the like, and I never leave home without pursuit

At this point I was in dire need for something vs Keldeo and Rain so I slapped on Latios with the swiftness. Celebi was considered but I didn't want to slow down the pace of the team especially since at that point I would have 4 grounded mons, and standard Celebi lets in Ferro and Skarm for free, necessitating a spinner or some other deterrent which would further slow the team down so all in all, nah. Latios also appreciates Rachi's steel luring abilities, and later Garchomps as well.

All my ground immunes were weak to ice and U-Turn, and that's a big no no. Washtom patches up the Landorus & Mamo matchup nicely, and I value having a secondary water resist when possible.

Lastly..... at this point I loaded up a game and was like hol up.. 4 potential rockers and yet I don't have rocks on the team LOL. Sometimes you just get lost in the sauce when building and forget the simplest things. I wasn't gonna use Stealth Rock Scarf Lando as it's too abuseable in my experience, Rachi couldn't afford to give up any coverage, and Ttar is horrible at rocking up consistently as it's too busy barely staving off the psychics and loses to most spinners. I considered Banded Rocks Terrak or even LO Stabs Hp Ice + Rocks Terrak but I'm not that unhinged.. (yet) ((ill try that out someday)) so I thought about my options and Garchomp filled all the same criteria Terrak did! It's able to take a +1 hit from (non HP Ice) Volc, further abuses the holes made from Rachi, and Chainchomp is a wallbreaker itself helping Lando by having the ability to plow through Skarm, Slowbro, Lando, Rotom, and waters in general being forced to take a hit. Magnifique
Set breakdown

Jirachi

MCDONALD'S SPRITE (Jirachi) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunder

Like Mcdonald's Sprite, this shit always slaps. Suffice to say you gotta put your thang on the table and open your third eye like Jirachi to get the most use out of em. Which is good exercise frankly!! A lot of teams/mons almost autoplay themselves with minimal thought process, I find that my own play becomes complacent at times when spoiled by such privileges. It's good to be forced to flex so your mindset and plays don't atrophy into mediocrity.

This set damn near hits the entire meta super effectively, while still being a nice soft check to Psychics which is why we run Hasty over Naive, 328 is an incredible speed tier in a tier filled with slower sands/rains, outspeeding Drill and modest Thund. Fire Punch smacks Ferro & Scizor, Ice Punch targets Landorus, Gliscor, Thundurus, Garchomp, and Latios. Thunder rips into the the numerous Water types we want to weaken and Skarmory, while having a stupidly high chance to para as we all know. Something to keep in mind vs Reuniclus in a pinch for sure, as para flinching is always an out. Which brings us to Iron Head, something that makes ebelt Rachi especially toxic. The mons that dont immediately drop to our coverage, are only a flinch or two away from dropping, Drill for example which happens quite often as they switch into an Iron Head, get flinched by another then drop to Fire Punch. It's a valid gameplan at times but but don't be too hasty to pull that trigger, weigh all the odds or simply prevent having to do that in the first place and snipe mons that would need a flinch on the switch. Use Jirachi to open holes on the opposing team as soon as you can!

Landorus-T
INBRED IGUANA (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 96 HP / 160 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Superpower

Let's be real, scarf Lando only clicks 3 moves 95% of the time and is stellar at it. Between Earthquake HP Ice and U-Turn, it accomplishes so much and is one of the best glue's in BW. My 4th move of choice this time is Superpower, as I value getting the big hit off on Ferro to prevent multiple hazards when possible, which happens quite often especially on the switch which is where we really want to use it as the cheeky Ferro into U-Turn/Ice/EQ all around pivot is something that is very common. It's also great at sniping the Air Balloon steels that would normally feel safe in front of Lando, and picks off weakened Rotom/Skarm. Another great use is to gut punch Mamo, as it usually feels pretty safe throwing off an Icicle Crash/Superpower/Sub/Rocks on the incoming Rotom.
I don't typically run Naive on more offensive scarf Lando's, as I value always being able to live opposing HP Ice but I opted for it this time with HP ev's to make up for the weaker Sp. Def so I always live opposing Ice, as I more valued the chance to OHKO opposing Scarf Lando's right off the bat or put it in Rocks range so it isn't constantly pressuring my team, letting Garchomp & Rachi truly go ham. It also happens to avoid the 2HKO from Scarf Garchomp, which can be handy if we can prevent rocks which is sometimes feasible, but even if not it was only an extra 26 ev's iirc from the HP Ice calc so it's worth it imo. Toxic is an option over Superpower for the Hippo matchup.

Garchomp
EL CHOMPO (Garchomp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

THE SHREDDER. ChainChomp is still the beast it's always been. I opted for +Spa nature as I'm a greedy boi and those Draco's and Fire Blast's hurt soso much, while still outspeeding Drill and Modest Thund which is incredible. Mild over Rash as to not compromise our defensive value vs Volc. You wanna aggressively throw up Rocks or not attack what's right in front of you most of the time, nailing the various Lando's, Rotom's, Skarmory's, etc on the switch to get the most value out of Chomp.

Tyranitar

TTARIANA GRANDE (Tyranitar) (F) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Atk / 172 SpD
Brave Nature
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch

Standard spread meant to 2HKO Reuniclus, handle psychics all that jazz. Double dark stab is obligatory, I chose Fire Blast as my Steel coverage as again, we want to prevent multiple layers and Superpower can fail to 2HKO Ferro, it also allows us to smack Skarm and roast Scizor ofc. Brave to get the maximum oomph outta blast, and we have no move to hit opposing Ttar hard so we have no business going for speed ties anyways. I went back and forth between Ice Punch and Thunder Wave last, but settled on Ice punch as it serves one of the same purposes of revenging EQ-less Dragonite, and if it's Yache then we burn it for Lando's HP Ice. More importantly it allows us to lure and panic check opposing Garchomp, especially Scarf which is a major threat. Also serves as a surprise option vs Gliscor/Landorus which again appreciated is for the team's endgame.

Latios

DOPPELSOLDNER (Latios) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Trick
- Roost

Ole faithful. Name inspired from one of the most legendary moments of pkmn history, may the fear of Scarf Ice Beam strike fear in our opponents hearts. Standard Trick Roost to make the most out of Lati offensively and defensively. You wanna play very carefully with it vs Keldeo teams, chiefly Keld Rain. Often times Ferro gets lured by one of our fire moves on the team, making it all the more threatening as our Draco's become extremely free. Unless they have an available sack or choose to sack, often the opponent can be pressured into positions where they'll throw Ttar directly in on a Lati hit so I advise taking advantage of that with a double to Chomp/Rachi to get opportunities to wallbreak and/or rack up Rocks damage, or Landorus if you have rocks up to further chip and grab guaranteed momentum.

Rotom-Wash
TURBO RUMP (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Pain Split

Now hear me out LOL. I saved the hottest tech for last. A problem I was running into when using a version with just the regular defensive spread/moveset was that a well played Gastro was simply a 6-0. I analyzed my options, Energy Ball Rachi being the main feasible one but Thunder is just sososoooo much better. I could only justify it in tour where I knew my opp had a Gastro habit. I kept thinking.... and at a ripe healthy 4AM on a Saturday post doobie it hit me. HP GRASS ROTOM. THE MOTHER OF ALL LURES
Then I calced it and was pretty let down to say the least. Broken ass Gastro. So offensive HP Grass was born >:) and while it started off as a team specific tech I thought about it and it struck me that this shit not only memes Gastro but Gastro comps as a whole. Think about it.... Usually they're Gliscor, Skarm, Gastro, Psychic(s), Ttar/Exca. Gliscor is speed crept and has a 75% chance to get OHKO'd, Skarm hates taking Volts as it's free momentum and if they aggressive spike up think thinking they can chew a defensive Volt it's left severely weakened, Gastro gets cleanly 2hko'd and is put in range of most other attacks on the team, Ttar doesn't want to take Pump, Exca drops, and the Psychics are free momentum into Ttar if they switch in and even Reun doesn't particularly enjoy full powered Hydro's being forced to recover. HP Grass is also cool to avoid getting lame'd on by sub Mamo btw. You don't even miss Wisp that much, at least not as much as you actually miss Wisp anyways :^) we have so many Ferro lures and the mons that we would Wisp, typically get pounded by Pump anyways or we Volt out of on the switch. It has it's downsides of course, we are much frailer than a typical Rotom, so keep that in mind. You wanna use Landorus to soak up the U-Turns that would normally come Rotom's way often times as they sting quite a bit more, and the mere presence of Rotom alone dissuades opposing Lando from clicking HP Ice so it's relatively at least at first.

Threatlist

Garchomp: Opposing Chompers are pretty scary. Both Scarf and SD/Chainchomp have their pros and cons. Chainchomp is def the scariest of all them, luckily it isn't very common (for some reason) and we at least have two mons that guarantee outspeed. Smart pivoting and keeping Landorus healthy is vital, and our various Ice coverage moves on the team make Scarf Chomper's life hard as if it wants to click a Dragon move aggressively or to try to Outrage sweep we have multiple mons that can take the hit and revenge. Not to mention we always have the possibility of luring it with either Ttar or Rachi on the switch or on an aggressive rocks/dragon move which goes for all sets. It's playable fs

Hippowdon: Mixed defense Hippowdon can stuff out our physical mons pretty handily without Jirachi luck. (Thankfully that's his thing) which is why Toxic is an option to consider on Landorus

Cloyster: I'm moreso putting it on here so people aren't caught lacking, as it's absolutely manageable and very hard to setup with proper positioning and a healthy Rachi, just don't get caught lacking as said lol. With Rotom being as offensive at it is +2 Cloy becomes very scary

(Credits to maruyaki45 for the art)

https://pokepast.es/fe3b35bb309b6516

Closing thoughts
While we have good offensive pivots for everything, they aren't the sturdiest long term so the name of the game here is to win faster than the opponent. To blow big enough holes in the opponent's team early on that makes it very hard for them to come back from and steamroll from there. That's what I had in mind when I built this and i'm happy to say it works like a charm I'm proud of this one! I hope you've enjoyed the read and enjoy the team :sphearical: I hope to make this more of a regular thing, godspeed

Last edited:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Hello zaaya,

Thanks for posting this team I'll make it quick but I've been needing to play with a different BW team yesterday so I jumped on the ladder with it and I have some thoughts:

This is a really good team, it's not that difficult to use and pretty much works out well to a T.

Chain Chomp imo is the MVP, Draco + LO in a gen with no fairy is so powerful and really not much can switch in on it except steel types and if they do, they'll get hit with the EQ or Fire Blast.

I really don't mind Hidden Power Grass, I've used it against Swamperts and its nice to have and when it comes to Gastrodon I see what you mean how it can be annoying. Toxic could be an option over Hidden Power Grass, but I don't mind it.

I see what you were saying about Lando (which on this team is probably my 2nd fav mon) you only really use 3 moves but I have used Superpower for Ferrothorn and I recommend keeping it for sure, it's been quite helpful.

I have had some issues with Scarfed Kyurem-Black (It outspeeds Lando, Chomp, [Can't do much to Rotom but Rotom can't do much to it], Jirachi is the best switch in but gets worn down because no recovery moves, Ttar is a solid switch in). I don't think it's a threat but it is really annoying but prob uncommon. Getting SR up is probably my best advice on getting past it.

Thanks for posting this cool team, I appreciate it a lot!

Almost forgot i wanted to reply to this after i was done with spl help.

I really like this team and we were thinking about bringing this. I made some tweaks to make it more to my liking, not saying what I've changed is better but just another viewpoint, it has obviously worked for you.

Jirachi @ Expert Belt
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Icy Wind
- Thunder

Dropped speed to 211 so it still outspeeds max lando + the common tenta creep. I can understand wanting max speed on ladder with the random shit you face but yea i just think you will get more value out of a little bit more bulk game to game in tours.
Also changed it to be more spatk focused, not a fan of hitting ferro with fire punch and taking the barbs damage and icy wind is broken into dnite stopping it getting the speed boost if it tries to dd up and also will cuck scarflando and non scarfchomp switching in. Worse into drill and probs other stuff I'm forgetting but yea pick your poison.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 96 HP / 100 Atk / 80 Def / 232 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Superpower

Another personal preference but i dont really get the need for max speed on scarflando so i dropped it to creep ada scarfdrill. Outside of other scarflandos, the only barely relevant things in that speed range are jolly scarfdrill, flame charge tran and scarfkyub all unsets so yea not being able to worse case speedtie other landos can hurt but again i prefer the extra attack and bulk. The bulk is mainly for rolls against drill and cbterrak, may have been other things i forgot about.

Kept the chomp the same, the +spa damage is really sexy. I will say though with me dropping rachi speed going hasty here would probs be more consistent.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 20 Def / 72 SpA / 76 SpD
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

This is a set a labbed with eden, def is to always live +1 dnite outrage and +1 dnite eq without rocks which is unlikely to happen with this team but still. Spa always kos standard landos with beam + blast will 2hko spdef skarm with rocks up. Felt like this team could use the extra dnite protection while rachi helps tar out vs the psychics. Dont hard switch tar in vs lati.

Latios (M) @ White Herb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Roost

Not a fan of specs on these offensive teams where you really need lati as a glue vs rain especially. HP Fire is nice for extra ferro pressure plus catching scizors is always fun. White herb fucks up tar and allows you to click draco more freely vs ho plus gives you a bit of safety switching in vs loom. Peng talked more about it in the bwou hub thread.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 64 SpA / 88 SpD / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Rest

Wanted to keep the rotom offensive just tweaked it a little. Rest is to remove status, mainly for playing vs rain to give you some relief vs scald burns. Bulk is to avoid cloyster OHKO (6.3%) at +2 and non specs keld pump 2HKO. Speed creeps ada sciz. Bold may be more consistent here but meh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)