Resource Past Generation Monotype Analysis Discussion Thread

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
- Sample Sets (Other tiers have the same format regarding analyses pretty much, but for some of the unwritten ones, there are sample sets. Something like Barbacle, Alolan Sandslash, or Toxicroak might tend to take longer for a QC check because I guess its not much interest or full knowledge in checking it as comparing it to something like Toxapex or Alakazam. Also some types are just played more, Example: Psychic/Water/Fire vs Rock/Ice/Fighting.

- Sample Sets (Other tiers have the same format regarding analyses pretty much, but for some of the unwritten ones, there are sample sets. Something like Barbacle, Alolan Sandslash, or Toxicroak might tend to take longer for a QC check because I guess its not much interest or full knowledge in checking it as comparing it to something like Toxapex or Alakazam. Also some types are just played more, Example: Psychic/Water/Fire vs Rock/Ice/Fighting.
Perhaps as a placeholder we can upload the sets found in the approved sample teams? That would provide a wide variety of enough Pokémon with listed sets to be able to staff a full team of any type.

Last edited:

roxie

is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
not really a wide variety , well i don't like the term, but placeholder, yes, until analyses are fully finished.

I had a question about all the analyses here that get uploaded. As the metagame evolves and eventually is fully developed, will the supposed "mini analyses" be revamped into full ones, or will they just stay the same? I know other tiers like LC are already doing full analyses; it might or might not depend on the stability of Monotype.

roxie

I had a question about all the analyses here that get uploaded. As the metagame evolves and eventually is fully developed, will the supposed "mini analyses" be revamped into full ones, or will they just stay the same? I know other tiers like LC are already doing full analyses; it might or might not depend on the stability of Monotype.
full analyses are planned once all the mons drop i believe, if we start fulls now, it'd be a lot of editing tbf

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
We’re planning on sticking to preview analyses until the metagame is finalized after all the DLCs drop. When the last DLC drops, we’ll start transitioning to full analyses, including expanding preview analyses that were written before.

roxie

skuntank is missing 4 evs, i put 32 just to outspeed ada craw but just adding 4 to spe or something for simplicity is fine and salazzle should have 248 hp since its taking 25% as a fire typing
Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
- Defog
- Protect

Salazzle (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Substitute
- Protect
- Toxic

Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Protect
- Sludge Wave
Skuntank @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
- Defog
- Protect

EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower / Sludge Wave (Fire)
- Substitute
- Protect
- Toxic

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
skuntank is missing 4 evs, i put 32 just to outspeed ada craw but just adding 4 to spe or something for simplicity is fine and salazzle should have 248 hp since its taking 25% as a fire typing
Skuntank @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
- Defog
- Protect

Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Substitute
- Protect
- Toxic

Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Protect
- Sludge Wave
Skuntank @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
- Defog
- Protect

EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower / Sludge Wave (Fire)
- Substitute
- Protect
- Toxic
Gonna do these but with 4 Defense > Speed on Skuntank since this type of speed creeping isn't good in analyses for consistency despite being what you may do when building(creeping opposing Skuntank).

roxie

I feel like all the team tournaments going on in one year, cause a lot of lingering in our analyses for both the QC team and the writers. But even then, there are some analyses like Mihowk's Heracross analysis https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/heracross-bug-qc-0-3.3670539/ that was ready in September, has been updated in January, and it's now about to be April. Namranan's Urshifu-S analysis is another example that has been since August https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/urshifu-s-fighting-qc-0-3.3668640/ and its updated to the new format. At one point I remember only 3-4 writers were doing the most work out of the bunch. AMchecks are also encouraged and notable writers like Perish Song and Rotten are updated on all of SS Monotype trends and I feel like they'd help a lot looking at the quality of their checks. Everyone has other tasks to do on the site and irl, but waiting a 3-4 of months just for one check could lead to a lot of negative things. I'm not sure if you guys do this but, the OU QC team has a trial system here: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ss-ou-c-c-happenings.3668390/post-8799997, but hopefully, we can get some of the older analyses out of the way.

roxie

Please do not convert your analyses if you have already written them out in the full version. More importantly, do not convert your analyses to mini after you receive a QC check while your analysis was in the full status.

On Celesteela's Analysis, in the partners paragraph for "Defensive Flying", it says "(spacing)" a few times. I think this is a typo/mistake, if not I'd like to know what it means.

Edit: Scratch that: it's everywhere-Overview, partners paragraph, Other Option, and Check & Counters

Last edited:

Aqua Jet

Stardew
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
On Celesteela's Analysis, in the partners paragraph for "Defensive Flying", it says "(spacing)" a few times. I think this is a typo/mistake, if not I'd like to know what it means.

Edit: Scratch that: it's everywhere-Overview, partners paragraph, Other Option, and Check & Counters
This is likely from the author forgetting to remove GP comments. I'll send in an SCMS edit right away, thank you for noticing!
E: This is submitted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)