Level: 50
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Spinner
- Sacred Sword
- Protect
This is a balance team using the :Incineroar::Urshifu::Rillaboom: core, but swap out :Urshifu: for :Palafin:, who I will address later.

:Incineroar: is basically mandatory in ANY Reg F team. It offers so much support. I chose flare blitz because it is a strong STAB move, snarl because damage reduction is good to have, fake out because fake out, and parting shot for pivoting. The 92 speed EVs allows me to outspeed other :Incineroar: for fake out wars, which is nice. I didn't calc for anything with the spdef, def, and hp EVs, I just hit the bump with spdef. I chose tera fairy because it's a good defensive typing, especially for :Incineroar:. Sitrus provides nice recovery. That's about it for :Incineroar:.

Time to address the dolphin-shaped elephant in the room. Though :Urshifu: is most certainly better, I chose :Palafin: because of 3 reasons. 1, It is fun to play with. 2, I thought it would be good on a balance team centered around pivoting. And 3, poor thing hasn't seen the light of day since :Urshifu: arrived, and since reg f is a more balance-like metagame, I thought it would do well. Anyways, :Palafin: is a bulky attacker. Wave crash and jet punch are good STAB moves, jet punch also allowing it to become a cleaner. Haze is there so I don't get bodied by :archaludon: and other mons that boost themselves. Protect is just protect, no need to elaborate. Tbh I just copied a spread I saw in pikalytics, so I don't exactly know what it does. Mystic water and tera water are to boost wave crash and jet punch.

:Rillaboom: is an AV pivot. Wood hammer and grassy glide are STAB moves for it. Fake out is fake out, and U-turn is for pivoting. For the spread, I reached the second bump for attack and gave it a lil bit of speed. Then I invested in some hp and split the remaining EVs for spdef and Def. AV is to make it more tanky, and grassy surge needs no explanation. Tera Fire is a good tera type for :Rillaboom:

:Flutter_Mane: is THE special attacker in VGC. It has shadow ball, moonblast, and dazzling gleam for STAB, and it has power gem for fire ogerpon, which I expect will still be common. It uses a bulky choice specs set which is my favorite :flutter_mane: set (of the ones I have tried). I like tera fairy on it because of the sheer damage this thing pumps out, though I did consider having ghost for the fake out immunity.

:Roaring_moon: is a physical attacker that sets up tailwind for the rest of the team. Throat chop is to stop parting shot :incineroar:, knock off is to remove items, and acrobatics is one of its best moves. The spread is a booster atk set (which I'm pretty sure changes to speed once tailwind is up, so that's kinda funny) because I just like the damage. Tera Flying boosts across even more.

:Chien_Pao: is just the best. It pairs up well with :roaring moon:, :Palafin:, :Rillaboom:, and even :incineroar: to some extent. I picked ice spinner over icicle crash because I have PTSD from losing multiple games to a miss. Crunch is a good STAB move, and sacred sword is good coverage. And once again, protect is protect, no explanation needed. Focus sash is to guarantee at least 1 powerful attack, though with the speed of this thing. The spread is just a simple 252 252 4 spread. I chose jolly to make him even faster. Tera ghost is to avoid fake out and fighting moves.

When making suggestions, I'd rather if they weren't swapping a mon out for another, but if it is needed I will do it.
EDIT: I forgot to put the paste, here is the updated team.

Last edited:

LovelyLuna

Lost in a life full of mistakes
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hey, Thanks for posting! Love the attempt and it's a pretty good team right now. Follows a good balance structure that has a good place in the meta.The following changes are what I'd make to help the team perform towards its full potential.

Major Changes (Pokemon Replacements, Set Changes)

Palafin :Palafin: -> Urshifu-Rapid-Strike :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:

Crushing to hear but Palafin is simply outclassed, it's not that it is a momentum sink when transforming, since even Palafin-Hero :Palafin-Hero: is worse than Urshifu :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:. This is due to the ever dominant Unseen Fist and Intimidate Immune Surging Strikes. Incineroar :Incineroar: can also be considered inconvenient for Palafin :Palafin: because of intimate and parting shot, while it can't really do anything to stop Urshifu :Urshifu:. You can probably still use Palafin :Palafin: if you're looking to have fun but Urshifu :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: is just far too good for any niche Palafin :Palafin: has

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Unseen Fist
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 44 HP / 156 Atk / 4 Def / 92 SpD / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- U-turn

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Mystic Water
EVs: 44 HP / 156 Atk / 4 Def / 140 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- Detect

Roaring Moon :Roaring Moon: -> one of Raging Bolt :Raging Bolt:, Latias :Latias:, Landorus-I :Landorus:, or Landorus-T :Landorus-Therian:

Very versatile slot but the main thing you'll want to consider is to replace Roaring Moon :Roaring Moon:, it stacks a third Fighting and Fairy weakness and doesn't bring that much to a team being a relatively big Tera hog. The aforementioned Pokemon all help fix this by replacing it with either a fighting resistance or a direct Urshifu :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: counter in Raging Bolt :Raging Bolt:

Raging Bolt @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Grass / Fairy
EVs: 244 HP / 44 Def / 100 SpA / 76 SpD / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderclap
- Protect

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 68 HP / 44 Def / 164 SpA / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sandsear Storm / Substitute
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Latias @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 44 SpA / 4 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Mist Ball
- Ice Beam / Draco Meteor
- Tailwind
- Recover / Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 92 HP / 116 Atk / 44 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stomping Tantrum
- Tera Blast
- Rock Tomb
- U-turn

Minor Changes (Moves, Items, Tera Types)

Incineroar :Incineroar: wants Safety Goggles on this team for a second Amoonguss :Amoonguss: immunity, Helping you play around it. The chosen EV spread benefits the item plenty as well, since Sitrus variants go Impish and focus on the Urshifu calc.

Flutter Mane :Flutter Mane: probably wants Icy Wind over Power Gem if you're not running Latias :Latias:, as you've lost your only form of speed control. Can also work well with Latias :Latias: as it's good as both a backup form of speed control and a way to ohko Landorus-I :Landorus:.

Chien-Pao :Chien-Pao: will prefer Icicle Crash here to not disrupt your own terrain.

Very Minor Changes (EVs, Natures)

Rillaboom :Rillaboom: seems unnecessarily fast when all it really wants to hit is 109 Speed (28 EVs), others can go into its bulk and help it stick on the field

Flutter Mane :Flutter Mane: also seems fast, you'll usually Max out at 172 since this much really hinders your bulk. The more you invest in speed the more you'll want to move the hp into defence, try and live a Jolly Chien-Pao:Chien-Pao: Icicle Crash at least.

Chien-Pao :Chien-Pao: wants the 4 SpD to move into Defence for a better role into Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:'s Surging Strikes.

That would be all! Still functions as a standard balance composition and simply more optimised. Feel free to ask me any questions, have fun with the team!

Last edited:
Hey, Thanks for posting! Love the attempt and it's a pretty good team right now. Follows a good balance structure that has a good place in the meta.The following changes are what I'd make to help the team perform towards its full potential.

Major Changes (Pokemon Replacements, Set Changes)

Palafin :Palafin: -> Urshifu-Rapid-Strike :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:

Crushing to hear but Palafin is simply outclassed, it's not that it is a momentum sink when transforming, since even Palafin-Hero :Palafin-Hero: is worse than Urshifu :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:. This is due to the ever dominant Unseen Fist and Intimidate Immune Surging Strikes. Incineroar :Incineroar: can also be considered inconvenient for Palafin :Palafin: because of intimate and parting shot, while it can't really do anything to stop Urshifu :Urshifu:. You can probably still use Palafin :Palafin: if you're looking to have fun but Urshifu :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: is just far too good for any niche Palafin :Palafin: has

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 44 HP / 156 Atk / 4 Def / 92 SpD / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- U-turn

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Mystic Water
EVs: 44 HP / 156 Atk / 4 Def / 140 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- Detect

Roaring Moon :Roaring Moon: -> one of Raging Bolt :Raging Bolt:, Latias :Latias:, Landorus-I :Landorus:, or Landorus-T :Landorus-Therian:

Very versatile slot but the main thing you'll want to consider is to replace Roaring Moon :Roaring Moon:, it stacks a third Fighting and Fairy weakness and doesn't bring that much to a team being a relatively big Tera hog. The aforementioned Pokemon all help fix this by replacing it with either a fighting resistance or a direct Urshifu :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: counter in Raging Bolt :Raging Bolt:

Raging Bolt @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Grass / Fairy
EVs: 244 HP / 44 Def / 100 SpA / 76 SpD / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderclap
- Protect

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 68 HP / 44 Def / 164 SpA / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sandsear Storm / Substitute
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Latias @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 44 SpA / 4 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Mist Ball
- Ice Beam / Draco Meteor
- Tailwind
- Recover / Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 92 HP / 116 Atk / 44 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stomping Tantrum
- Tera Blast
- Rock Tomb
- U-turn

Minor Changes (Moves, Items, Tera Types)

Incineroar :Incineroar: wants Safety Goggles on this team for a second Amoonguss :Amoonguss: immunity, Helping you play around it. The chosen EV spread benefits the item plenty as well, since Sitrus variants go Impish and focus on the Urshifu calc.

Flutter Mane :Flutter Mane: probably wants Icy Wind over Power Gem if you're not running Latias :Latias:, as you've lost your only form of speed control. Can also work well with Latias :Latias: as it's good as both a backup form of speed control and a way to ohko Landorus-I :Landorus:.

Chien-Pao :Chien-Pao: will prefer Icicle Crash here to not disrupt your own terrain.

Very Minor Changes (EVs, Natures)

Rillaboom :Rillaboom: seems unnecessarily fast when all it really wants to hit is 109 Speed (28 EVs), others can go into its bulk and help it stick on the field

Flutter Mane :Flutter Mane: also seems fast, you'll usually Max out at 172 since this much really hinders your bulk. The more you invest in speed the more you'll want to move the hp into defence, try and live a Jolly Chien-Pao:Chien-Pao: Icicle Crash at least.

Chien-Pao :Chien-Pao: wants the 4 SpD to move into Defence for a better role into Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:'s Surging Strikes.

That would be all! Still functions as a standard balance composition and simply more optimised. Feel free to ask me any questions, have fun with the team!
Thanks! I think I'm gonna keep palafin cuz I'm trynna have fun (maybe I'll make a separate. But I will definitely apply the other suggestions. I also totally forgot about ice spinner annihilating terrain, so yeah icicle crash it is. Tyvm, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
Well, I wanna try thinking of this as HAVING to keep Palafin, since you are gonna and it seems workable in a layman's perspective(don't play doubles.)

I think Throat Chop>Crunch for pao. You'll probably Sacred Sword Incineroar cause it's SE vs resisted, but in the case that you just wanna stop parting shot, that does it. Idk, I never really liked Crunch cause the def drop is rare vs guaranteed sound disruption, and usually pao won't need to lower their def anymore anyways.

I play with some unusual mons, from what I've seen this is much harder in doubles than singles(why...?) Anyways, maybe you could benefit, if continuing to run Palafin, from something that BENEFITS from stat lowering, or perhaps is immune. Lots of things come to mind, but idk what might be good in VGC. But maybe play around w/ that concept. Mystic Water seems really good for the general damage, but if you find it secures little in terms of ohkos/2hkos, maybe run Clear Amulet or Eject Pack, even. Eject Pack working as soon as mons are sent out t1 seems cool, you switch to Palafin H w/o losing momentum, plus you get to re-choose 1 lead if that helps.

Well anyways I hope that helps. I've at times been a detriment w/ these lol.

Well, I wanna try thinking of this as HAVING to keep Palafin, since you are gonna and it seems workable in a layman's perspective(don't play doubles.)

I think Throat Chop>Crunch for pao. You'll probably Sacred Sword Incineroar cause it's SE vs resisted, but in the case that you just wanna stop parting shot, that does it. Idk, I never really liked Crunch cause the def drop is rare vs guaranteed sound disruption, and usually pao won't need to lower their def anymore anyways.

I play with some unusual mons, from what I've seen this is much harder in doubles than singles(why...?) Anyways, maybe you could benefit, if continuing to run Palafin, from something that BENEFITS from stat lowering, or perhaps is immune. Lots of things come to mind, but idk what might be good in VGC. But maybe play around w/ that concept. Mystic Water seems really good for the general damage, but if you find it secures little in terms of ohkos/2hkos, maybe run Clear Amulet or Eject Pack, even. Eject Pack working as soon as mons are sent out t1 seems cool, you switch to Palafin H w/o losing momentum, plus you get to re-choose 1 lead if that helps.

Well anyways I hope that helps. I've at times been a detriment w/ these lol.
Tyvm! Throat chop is something I will definitely test out. As to your question, no clue why it is harder to use wierd mons in doubles. I guess maybe handling one meta mon at a time is easier than handling two? Idk, but thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)