SM OU OU Balance Team

Hello! I haven’t played in far too long, and it’s finally time I have a crack at building teams again. Well, here goes nothing:

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 48 SpD / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Here we have my Tyranitar. I usually lead with him and he serves me quite well. It’s very much my best counter against Mega Alakazam and the Lati-twins, being equipped with pursuit. Band because TTar wont stay long anyway and extra power on Pursuit is always great. EV spread also helps make sure attacks land hard and quick, while also keeping it's tanking potential. It's honestly just a great bulky wallbreaker for this team. Sand stream also let’s it set up for my next Pokémon...

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rocks
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Excadrill is one of my sweepers on this team. He pairs very well with Tyranitar, especially with Sand Rush. Steelium Z for that Z-Iron Head can either one-shot or severely hurt most Pokémon, at least the ones I’ve encountered. Stealth Rocks is also nice setup against Charizard and other pesky fire types. EV spread is made for maximum sweeping potential with max attack and speed. This core is very useful for late-game sweeping to clean things up.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Defog

Tapu Fini is the teams hazard control, thus knowing Defog. The other moves are staples, so Fini is mostly just here to stop Charizard-Y being murdered before it can do anything I've changed Ice Beam into Taunt so that I can check other hazard setters like Ash-Greninja and Moonblast in exchange for Nature's Madness for that higher base power and chance of SpA lower, combined with STAB. EV spread is constructed to help it get its job done and get out quickly.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Roost
- Focus Blast

Charizard-Y gets me most of my wins. STAB Flamethrower hurts quite a bit and Solar Beam is for baiting the water switch. Focus Blast can easily deal with other threats like Tyranitar and Roost is always appreciated. EV spread is made to maximize sweeping potential while also letting Charizard tank a few hits while it does so. 8 Special Defense because 4 wouldn't let it tank enough hits. This is my early-game wallbreaker to get things going on the battle.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Ice

Tangrowth is my water switch if I can’t safely get Charizard-Y out. Assault Vest helps it’s bulkiness, and as for the moves Knock Off is nice utility. Giga Drain can severely hurt most water types and helps Tangrowth stay alive. Sludge Bomb is to deal with the Tapus and HP-Ice is extra coverage on Garchomp and Lando-T. Knock Off is the move I use the most when I switch into opponents to scout for items, especially opposing Tangrowth.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom-Wash is my EQ switch in. Tyranitar gets bodied by it, so Rotom-Wash was an obvious pick. Hydro Pump is nice STAB, Volt Switch let’s me go into the Pokémon of choice, usually my Charizard, Will-O-Wisp to get that chip damage on pesky tanks and Pain Split is useful when going against hard-hitters.

I hope my explanations were sufficient, and please be honest. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hello PotatOS! I really like sand teams but they are very underrated because Rain being everywhere. Still, sand has its own niche and can be very threatening when played correctly. As for the team rate, you team is already good but some sets might be changed to improve it even further.

:tyranitar: Use Stealth Rock instead of Crunch and change the choice Band to Smooth Rock. That way, Sand will stay for 8 turns instead of 5. And Charizard is already enough for a wallbreaker.

:excadrill: Since Tyranitar carrier Rocks now, you can use Swords Dance on Drill. Its probably better since SD helps it to break through fat teams easily.

:Tapu fini: Tapu Fini is supposed to Defog away hazards as they troubles Zard. As such, offensive set is not the best to go with. Therefore, use a defensive set which also lets it check ash-greninja and heatran reliably.
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 12 SpA / 40 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Taunt

:charizard mega y: Use Timid nature as outspeeding Kyurem-B and Tapu lele, and speed tying with mega medi is much better than the added power modest gives.

:tangrowth: The set is fine but you can also use HP fire instead of HP Ice, since Giga Drain do respectable damage to Lando-t, Garchomp and Gliscore and with HP Fire, you are not walled by Ferrothorn if Zard is KOed. You will be spamming Knock Off most of the time anyway.

I hope that these changes might help you. Feel free to ask any question regarding the team and the most important thing, have fun :)

I haven't played with sand too much but I generally try to get rocks up, then break the opposing team with Zard and clean with Drill.

Also, try to keep rocks off your side, so Zard can freely switch in and out. Try to use Tangrowth and Tapu Fini when zard is forced out. Since, Pokemon that force out Zard are usually Tapu Koko and Ash-Greninja. The End-game pretty much depends on opposing team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)