Resource Other Metagames Index - Ask Questions Here!

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
uh, they can see the rules on smogon for further explanations anytime, but by default I would :
1) show the types on screen
2) add a clause like : "Ignored types are displayed"
My problem with this is it's extremely arbitary. Why are those the specific colour codes you chose for each type? It makes thematic sense so I can't fault you on any specific choice, but you could argue any shade of red/orange/yellow for Fire, for example. The end result is subjective too; Azumarill's hex seems closer to Psychic than Fairy, to me. While I agree with Kaen about it being too complex - it'd take too much time trying to Google hex codes while building - the subjectivity is a bigger hurdle to me.
To give an example, a commonly denied suggestion is introducing a tier that brings back the physical/special typing divide from Gen 3 and earlier - because there's no objective way of deciding if Fairy would be Physical or Special, and having it be exempt is just kinda weird. OMs need to have a description that offers objectivity, but this relies on you assigning your personal choice of colour and playing a subjective game of "what colour is closest?" to calculate.

My problem with this is it's extremely arbitary. Why are those the specific colour codes you chose for each type? It makes thematic sense so I can't fault you on any specific choice, but you could argue any shade of red/orange/yellow for Fire, for example. The end result is subjective too; Azumarill's hex seems closer to Psychic than Fairy, to me. While I agree with Kaen about it being too complex - it'd take too much time trying to Google hex codes while building - the subjectivity is a bigger hurdle to me.
To give an example, a commonly denied suggestion is introducing a tier that brings back the physical/special typing divide from Gen 3 and earlier - because there's no objective way of deciding if Fairy would be Physical or Special, and having it be exempt is just kinda weird. OMs need to have a description that offers objectivity, but this relies on you assigning your personal choice of colour and playing a subjective game of "what colour is closest?" to calculate.
I completely agree with you, though I personally would have provided a list of all 9G available Pokémon with the types they'd ignore (not that I started but I would do it eventually) in the metagame. That subjectivity bothers me too for the writing, yet I wanted to find an original way of using base stats. I'm still looking for other possibilities.

I completely agree with you, though I personally would have provided a list of all 9G available Pokémon with the types they'd ignore (not that I started but I would do it eventually) in the metagame. That subjectivity bothers me too for the writing, yet I wanted to find an original way of using base stats. I'm still looking for other possibilities.
I think you'll have a better chance of getting approved if you come up with something much simpler than the colours.

Like for example that immunities are not based on a single typing anymore but on the dual typing combined. Nothing would change for mono types, but for dual types the new rules are: resist+resist=immune (i.e. appletun is now immune to water and electric), and immune+super effective=neutral (i.e. electric is neutral on gliscor) and immune+neutral=resist (i.e. poison is resist on metagross).

I'm not saying this is a good idea (it probably isn't) but it is much easier to explain and pick up on. Pokémon can be a very complex game already with many rules, adding a lot of extra rules makes it only accessible to the most experienced.

When submitting a new metagame idea you have to provide at least one council member. What's a good way of finding people who are interested in being on your council and have some experience preferably?

I am not much of a forum guy so I don't know many people in the OM community. In the off chance that the OM gets approved it would be nice if there were some people with more experience helping out on the council.

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
When submitting a new metagame idea you have to provide at least one council member. What's a good way of finding people who are interested in being on your council and have some experience preferably?

I am not much of a forum guy so I don't know many people in the OM community. In the off chance that the OM gets approved it would be nice if there were some people with more experience helping out on the council.
Becoming familiar enough with people in the community is also part of what would reassure us that someone would be a good choice for council/leader of an OM. It's implicit in those requirements that a person who intends to submit an OM AND actually participate in leading it should have at least spent some time integrating into the forums and networking within the community (i.e. @ Forums, PS room, Discord).

That being said, one of the best places to ask if people are interested in being on your council is the OM Discord: https://discord.gg/qYGnkzB4

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader

In any case, when you make the submission thread is fine if only yourself is listed in the council, is better to ask other people to join when the idea is near approval, we review everything else and then tell you to go get someone, is like the last thing you have to worry about.

In any case, when you make the submission thread is fine if only yourself is listed in the council, is better to ask other people to join when the idea is near approval, we review everything else and then tell you to go get someone, is like the last thing you have to worry about.
Thanks this is very good to know!

Becoming familiar enough with people in the community is also part of what would reassure us that someone would be a good choice for council/leader of an OM. It's implicit in those requirements that a person who intends to submit an OM AND actually participate in leading it should have at least spent some time integrating into the forums and networking within the community (i.e. @ Forums, PS room, Discord).

That being said, one of the best places to ask if people are interested in being on your council is the OM Discord: https://discord.gg/qYGnkzB4
And thank you for the discord recommendation, I had no idea the discord was so active. I'll make sure to get to know the community more before submitting. :-)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 1)