Other Features Organization of Public Rooms on PS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
I am the room owner of the rooms The Studio and also Español on the Pokemon Showdown battle simulator, and as such, I have developed a good idea of what a public room requires for it to run smoothly and for it to be a good overall social experience for everyone.

Public rooms are a fairly recent addition to the PS server and there are often mistakes made by the users who become auth there, that could have been easily prevented had they covered a few major points in the room. There are rooms removed and rooms added all the time now, as some rooms see no activity or order, and other newer ideas come in, and by this I've seen a lot of people's good social ideas regarding a centralization of a certain topic or hobby get erased with some of the rooms' removal. All this could have been prevented and further instances of this can be prevented with better care and a gentle push in the right direction. I would like to address the importance of knowing who is and who isn't fit for auth there when an owner makes promotion decisions (and reasons under this); I would like to address the importance of communication among room staff (for policy and overall awareness), as well as a few suggestions and tips to help keep the room maintained even when spammers are on their worst behavior or when there are few people in the room, so that the upper server staff don't have to be bothered with room issues. I also want to make an important note that there are ways other than discipline to manage the chat and keep users engaged so that they are occupied enough to not want to troll or exhibit malicious behavior.

The only article I recall ever seeing in the Smog that was directly in regard to tips about using Pokemon Showdown was the one Tobes wrote about how to not piss off the staff. So to be safe in regards to Smogon/PS relations, I asked the server admin Hugendugen about this as well before posting this approval, and he told me it's fine as long as my article is representative of suggestions for room organization and not "law" and that he would like for me to show him the finalized article before it's uploaded, if it is approved. I plan for this article to have a positive mood, not one that would make the reader feel as though he/she is listening to an elitist who just thinks their ideas are the best.

I am on Pokemon Showdown every day, even from work, and I'd like to do what I can to help make it a better social environment, especially since it has been split into many separate ones, and there are many users who visit only public rooms without ever entering the main lobby at all. I am happy to have this opportunity to contribute and I hope you like the idea I present. ^_^

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's an interesting idea, however I think it could be cooler if you covered more than just organisation, and public rooms as a whole. You could still discuss how to organise them, but you could go through the whole process of who is best to approach with a room idea, what kind of rooms are most active, discuss the current rooms, and talk a bit about how/why lobby and public rooms benefit from being separate. I don't really see another article on rooms coming up here any time soon and I think with organisation you could totally do a cover all here, and given your credentials I don't think it would be too difficult to be able to cover that too. What do you think about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)