Resource ORAS OU Teambuilding Competition - Revived! (21st Round Voting on post #414 - Absorbing Abilities)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pillar Beat

:xy/tyranitar-mega::xy/excadrill::xy/weavile::xy/slowbro::xy/conkeldurr::xy/thundurus:

Name lore: Pillar = conk has pillars. Beat = Weavile has BEAT up. Enjoy Jojo's pillar theme in the meanwhile

Beat Up BP = 102 pre-mega, 105 post-mega. 102 used for calcs
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Beat Up vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 357-421 (98.8 - 116.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO - VERY KEY VS. LEAD DRILL
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Beat Up vs. 248 HP / 12 Def Scizor-Mega: 175-207 (51 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Beat Up vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 332-392 (110.2 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Beat Up vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 166-196 (45.7 - 53.9%) -- 44.9% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Beat Up vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Manaphy: 237-279 (58.8 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Beat Up Weavile teams are usually extremely offensive and somewhat hard to build around. They will have a loose backbone and require lots of skill play. This team is no different. The team manages to sustain that playstyle by playing very aggressively and by featuring cool techs such as Eject Button Slowbro w/ Recycle, Air Balloon Excadrill, and AV Conkeldurr.

Pursuit on Weavile is dropped since team is very offensive and shard is much more useful.
Ttar is max adamant because the team needs to be as offensive as possible. Again no pursuit cuz we don't chase nobody.
Drill is Balloon which is key for this team to function. Switching on opposing drill or tank chomp for a pinch spin can be a lifesaver for the team.
Although Slowbro only has 75 base Atk, it is really really needed for metagross lopunny medicham and keldeo. In only one slot the pink goblin holds the team together. This is why it's eject button to keep it healthy. Recycle is a super cool tech to keep the momentum up.
Conkeldurr is here for status absorber role. It is important for a switch in on Rotom-W and Slowbro. It also simultaneously checks Volcarona and Manaphy. This role can only be filled by very few pokemon (while still maintaining high atk stat), the other being Kyurem-B. But Kyurem-B makes the team too weak to Scizor and Metagross, so Conkeldurr was used.

The EV's on Conkeldurr live +3 Modest Manaphy Psychic from full, and +1 modest LO Volcarona after rocks
Finally, Thundurus is a key glue to make the Mega Scizor and HO matchup manageable. Nasty Plot could be used as well but I found Focus Blast and T-wave to be too useful

EDIT: Forgot to mention:
Toxic Slowbro + Substitute Excadrill is crucial to wear down Rotom-W. However, if you find balloon unnesecary Lefties can substituted
TTar/Drill sets are very flexible. Can make ttar DD, drill SD, drill rocks, etc.
+3 252+ SpA Manaphy Psychic vs. 56 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 308-364 (84.3 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 56 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 273-321 (74.7 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 200 SpA Serperior Leaf Storm vs. 56 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 192-226 (52.6 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:
:Slowbro-Mega: :Clefable: :Weavile: :Terrakion: :Tornadus-Therian: :Excadrill:

I'm aware someone beat me to the bro + terrak, but I'm submitting my own take take on it regardless, decided to have some fun with this one and really let terrakion be the star of this team considering its both the breaker and what lets us not auto-lose to bisharp on the spot, as well as other prominent threats like ttar and vile, considering there's only so much you can do with terrakion and its constant need of prediction, I decided to add in another really fast wall-breaker that'd act as a primary wincondition in swords dance weavile, you technically don't really need to pursuit when you can threaten it and your opp will be scared regardless, so being able to grab a sd, and potentially even drop whatever was trying to check you with the slightest bit of chip is cool, torn-t + drill because they're good-stuffs mons and weavile really wants drill, also because drill is the only ground I kinda like on this six, m-bro because its cool, and acts as a pretty alright mega for the late-game, clef is there as added measure for a proper backbone/status absorber. I was originally trying to prevent myself from using drill, but that mon really do be the glue for 90% of teams

Last edited:

https://pokepast.es/a557a614636d02e2
I looked through the UUBL mons, and none of them really stuck out to me, so I decided to build around the one Ideemed most consistent, Victini. Lopunny is a natural partner for Victini, abusing the massive damage V-Create does to clean lategame. An unwritten rule of Oras is that any mon below B on the VR requires Excadrill to function, it's insane how much spin+elec immune facilitates. The spin is especially needed to Victini doesn't lose a quarter Hp every time it comes onto the field. It was originally Rocks, but after adding Clef, I could afford Substitute. Sub is really nice to chip stuff like Tankchomp, who can be a huge problem for Vic and Lop. Subbing on the switch and then doing 30-40% with EQ makes it infinitely easier for your breakers to go loose. Rotom allowed me to position myself better, and formed a solid VoltTurn core with Victini. It also helps to check Weavile if clef is chipped or goes down. You cant really afford a proper Weavile switch on offense, so you usually rely on pivoting and then revenging it with something like Lop. At this point, I needed an exca switchin, as well as a Keldeo and emergency heatran answer, and Torn similarly to Drill, facilitates so many of the best mons in oras. I also needed a Zam and Diancie switch, which is where Clefable comes in. It's by no means an ironclad answer, but you're not looking to wall them forever, just win the game before they do. It also frees up Exca to run Sub, as mentioned before.

I think the team is pretty solid. It's not winning any awards for creativity, but I think there's a reason Exca Lop Tom Clef Torn comps are so common: they just do so much you can basically run anything as your sixth, and Victini has some really solid synergy with the members, especially with Lopunny. Enjoy!

Edit: Fixed Victini's nature

Last edited:

Amir

Banned deucer.
Team 5, good submissions overall. I really how Victini is properly used here.
A slight suggestion you might like on it is slashing trick with Brick Break or Glaciate. To punish Heatran or Tank Chomp. Which opens up your own Victini and Punishes Tank chomp with a 2HKO after rocks.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
And we are going to finish it here! Team 5 by Verdas has won this round! Congratulations, will be added to the hall of fame in a nearby future!

Now up to the next round and beyond,

Round 11
/

Kyurem
Next round will consist in building a team around Kyurem. When it comes the discussion about having no switch-ins Kyurem-Black always appears on the discussion, while regular Kyurem has proven to be a really effective pokemon in the current meta where ice resist rotom alongside clef is the trend, and how easily that can fall apart. You can use either regular Kyurem or Kyurem Black

This round will last until Saturday the 18th at 11:59 PM GMT -5. Have fun everyone!

Insou

formerly LoveStallLiveLife
:sm/Lopunny-mega: :sm/ferrothorn: :sm/starmie: :sm/magnezone: :sm/landorus-therian: :sm/kyurem-black:

Pup Mega Lopunny+Kyub Dragmag hazard stacking balance

Team Description

Power up punch lopunny+Dragmag allows you to break past most of the common defensive cores in the metagame. However generally faster threats such as mega alakazam can be somewhat problematic. Chople berry ferrothorn improves its survivability against the aforementioned threat, it also allows you to survive specs focus blast and secret sword and eliminate it with power whip. Thunder wave on the other hand cripples the likes of mega alakazam and charizard, allowing black kyurem to create progress without fearing the aforementioned threats. Although cripping keldeo with ferro is often unnecessary due to the presence of starmie. Reflect type improves ttar and bisharp matchups, while the rest is standard. Starmie checks the likes of non tpunch mega medi, mega metagross and allows you to maximize kyurem's longevity with magnezone to trap hazard stackers such as ferrothorn, along with offensive threats that would otherwise threaten the team lategame such as mega scizor. Toxic Landorus puts offensive rocks setters on a timer, and pivots such as rotom wash. Stone edge however improves talonflame matchups and is therefore interchangeable./SPOILER]

SPECS KYUREM BALANCE

:sm/kyurem: :sm/Lopunny-Mega: :sm/chansey: :sm/skarmory: :sm/slowbro: :sm/excadrill:

Team :https://pokepast.es/bdb7efc4c3d28e02

Team description:
I think fat team is the best way to use specs kyurem because it's a setup fodder for volcarona and I don't want to pair azumarill cause there is already variation of that in spl and pairing with talonflame is bad idea cause both Pokémon weak hazard.
I use chansey + skarm core because its a solid core for balance team and it wall many stuff. The next Pokémon , I'm using slowbro because it add mega lopunny answer and being a fire resist in team. The fifth Pokémon is none other than the best pokemon in the tier, Excadrill. Excadrill mainly providing stealth rock and being a hazard removal. I'm using max def for excadrill because its able to help against webs matchup. I'm using mega lopunny as last pokemon because it is nice speed control. I use quick attack as mega lopunny move but it can be anything (encore,heal bell,icepunch,healing wish,drain punch,power up punch).

viable changes that you can use :
1) use weavile over kyurem because it add pursuit and weavile is good mon in general.
2) use keldeo over kyurem because it have nice defensive typing and able to spread burn via scald.

Last edited:
Kyurem-Black Bulky Offense

:sm/landorus-therian: :sm/diancie-mega: :sm/weavile: :sm/ferrothorn: :sm/volcanion: :sm/kyurem-black:

The Team: https://pokepast.es/11b92b047ee794cd

Team description:

[1] This week I wanted to be a bit creative so I thought of using Power Herb on Kyu-B, this mimics Gen 7’s Z-Move to some extent. The Power Herb Freeze Shock also adds an element of surprise as mons such as Ferrothorn won’t expect it and could end up losing to the one turn Freeze Shock.

[2] I’m pairing my Kyu-B set with another very powerful wall breaker which is Mega Diancie. Gifted with Magic Bounce, it prevents hazards which is handy for the rest of the team. Not only that but I can utilise U-Turn from Lando-T to apply pressure with Mega Diancie.

[3] Next, I’m using a less common yet dangerous nonetheless variant of Weavile, being a Swords Dance set. This set provides Weavile with a menacing wall breaking ability, further granted by powerful stabs such as Knock Off and Icicle Crash. Lastly, it helps to eliminate Kyu-B’s threats, Ice Shard also acts as a solid revenge killing mechanism.

[4] My team kinda gets countered by faster megas such as Mega Alakazam, Mega Lopunny so I'm adding scarf Landorus-T as My 4th Pokémon because it's also useful for countering other threats to Kyu-B such as Victini, Volcarona, Charizard-X and Charizard-Y.

[5] For the 5th Pokémon, I wanted to use Assault Vest Volcanion. Not only is it a very powerful Water type but it also has access to a great ability, Water Absorb. Given Rock Slide, it acts as a reliable Volcarona check which would otherwise steamroll my team.

[6] Finally, the last addition to my team is Ferrothorn, it’s a very useful defensive Pokémon to wear down opposing Pokémons which gives Kyu-B an opportunity to clean up. Having access to Stealth Rocks and Leech Seed is very useful too. Last but not least, it can passively chip physical threats, giving the team a better chance to knock out opposing Pokémons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)