Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

In FRLG Oak will not grant the player the National Dex until they have caught 60 Pokemon in the Kanto dex. Out of interest, if the player were to cheat and somehow obtain non-Kanto species like Gulpin or Tyrogue, would these count towards the total or do they absolutely have to be Pokemon in the Kanto dex?
Not sure if you've found your answer but I believe they won't count towards it, they have to be Pokémon in the Regional dex - the game won't count anything above Mew as being registered until the Nat Dex is unlocked.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Not sure if you've found your answer but I believe they won't count towards it, they have to be Pokémon in the Regional dex - the game won't count anything above Mew as being registered until the Nat Dex is unlocked.
I figured this was the case, just never seen it confirmed. Thanks.

Not sure why all your Tangela are ending up with the same ability but it's completely possible (though unlikely) that you've simply caught a whole lot of them with the same ability slot; it can happen. Unless they were cloned on Emerald, in which case they'd all have the same internal data.
I see. The Tangela are all breed like the Tropius. Non of them were clones but they all came over with Leaf Guard instead of the main ability.
I guess the thing with Machamp makes sense since I transferred it and then evolved it to Machamp probably turning it from Guts to No Guard. But I don't know for certain because I didn't pay attention to it.
The same I have done with Cleffa's back then with non of them changing to Magic Guard.

QuentinQuonce

I see. The Tangela are all breed like the Tropius. Non of them were clones but they all came over with Leaf Guard instead of the main ability.
I guess the thing with Machamp makes sense since I transferred it and then evolved it to Machamp probably turning it from Guts to No Guard. But I don't know for certain because I didn't pay attention to it.
The same I have done with Cleffa's back then with non of them changing to Magic Guard.
Interesting. They shouldn't have Leaf Guard when transferred until evolved so that's odd.

IIRC ability slots don't pass down via breeding prior to Gen V so all bred Pokemon have an equal chance of having A or B slot.

Tangential, but I'm really curious now whether Pal Park "corrects" invalid/hacked Pokemon or just leaves them as-is. In-game, if a Pokemon with one ability is generated with the "B" slot, the game simply defaults to the "A" ability rather than leaving it blank. But if a Pokemon was hacked into existence with no ability, would it stay that way in Gen IV or acquire the correct one?

This is interesting because of course Gen III has an unused ability, Cacophony. If a Pokemon were hacked to have Cacophony and then transferred to Gen IV I wonder what the result would be. I'd assume it'd just default to whatever ability the Pokemon's internal data says it's supposed to have but Pal Park seems quite underresearched when it comes to glitches/hacking.

In pokemon scarlet and violet most of the pokemon have one or more biomes listed in the pokedex (I'm not entirely sure though that where this data is found since I haven't gotten the game yet).

I decided to list each pokemon that belongs to a speficic biome, using https://www.serebii.net/ as a reference. While the biomes of every pokemon seem to be listed, I haven't found any lists specifically compiling every pokemon found in each biome. I'm wondering where should I post the list? This thread from a few months ago covers a similar subject, the habitat classification found in the fireRed/leafGreen pokedex and the habitat classification found in the original pokedex book. Or should this just be posted on it's own thread?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
In pokemon scarlet and violet most of the pokemon have one or more biomes listed in the pokedex (I'm not entirely sure though that where this data is found since I haven't gotten the game yet).

I decided to list each pokemon that belongs to a speficic biome, using https://www.serebii.net/ as a reference. While the biomes of every pokemon seem to be listed, I haven't found any lists specifically compiling every pokemon found in each biome. I'm wondering where should I post the list? This thread from a few months ago covers a similar subject, the habitat classification found in the fireRed/leafGreen pokedex and the habitat classification found in the original pokedex book. Or should this just be posted on it's own thread?
I suggest making a new thread in the Scarlet & Violet sub-forum:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/pokemon-scarlet-violet.722/

If I were to make an additional suggestion, when making the thread, next to the title you can add a "prefix". I think the "Research" prefix fits what you did pretty well (and would get more eyes on your thread).

Ironmage's answer was basically correct: each Pokemon has two ability slots (let's call them A and B) defined by the game's internal workings. In Gen III numerous Pokemon only had one ability, so would have that ability regardless of whether the game generated an A slot or B slot. In later gens however numerous Pokemon were given a second ability, so could potentially switch abilities if transferred forward.

However this does not happen instantly upon transfer: it only takes effect when the Pokemon evolves. A Machop with the "B" ability flag (such that it should have No Guard in Gen IV) will retain Guts until and unless it is evolved into Machoke. If it is transferred from Gen III already fully evolved, it will never be able to have No Guard unless you use an Ability Capsule down the line in a later generation. Tropius, of course, does not evolve so a Tropius caught in Gen III can never have its second ability in Gen IV or V.

Later generations messed with this a little; if a Pokemon with the wrong ability (like the Machop I mentioned in my previous example) gets sent through Poketransporter from Gen V to VI, its ability slot is fixed so that it will always keep that "A" ability even when it evolves, so you'll end up with a Machamp with Guts even though internally it's supposed to have No Guard. Why exactly they did this is a mystery given that they introduced the Ability Capsule this generation anyway.

Not sure why all your Tangela are ending up with the same ability but it's completely possible (though unlikely) that you've simply caught a whole lot of them with the same ability slot; it can happen. Unless they were cloned on Emerald, in which case they'd all have the same internal data.
I knew a fair bit of this already, but didn't know about Gen 6's weird reverse-fix; that's... interesting, to say the least!

I'm now curious on something, though: say you do have an Ability Slot B Pokémon with its Slot A Ability, like the Machop example. What does the Ability Capsule do?

QuentinQuonce

I knew a fair bit of this already, but didn't know about Gen 6's weird reverse-fix; that's... interesting, to say the least!

I'm now curious on something, though: say you do have an Ability Slot B Pokémon with its Slot A Ability, like the Machop example. What does the Ability Capsule do?
It would switch its ability; I've done this before. The ability capsule disregards the slot entirely, it simply changes the ability to the other option.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Does Evice's team in Colosseum have any EVs? Also, does his team have perfect IVs? I wish Bulbapedia would list stuff like this.

Doing funny calcs and just want to know for sure if Forretress's Explosion is capable of knocking out both Slowbro and Slaking.

In SV, has anyone noticed their raids sometimes updating mid-day (basically like a new day reroll) after already having updated at midnight, without going online?

It's happened to me a couple of times, where I noticed I suddenly had a new 6* raid available after clearing one the same day.

It just happened today with the 7* raid. I didn't play after midnight, and went to do the 7* raid first thing, failed/ran, and when I emerged from the raid it was a 3* marenie, and another 7* had been placed elsewhere on the map. The 6* also got rerolled, and presumably the rest of the raids as well.

Anyone know what's going on? I do not manually adjust the time/date on my switch to force rerolls, so if it is a clock-update-based thing I'm not sure what's causing it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Anyone know what's going on? I do not manually adjust the time/date on my switch to force rerolls, so if it is a clock-update-based thing I'm not sure what's causing it.
Happened to me too. I was going around just knocking out Raids, and then when I came back from doing one I looked at the map and all of the sudden there's an entire new map of Raids.

I looked around on Google and most sites I found were about intentionally pushing the clock forward, but I did eventually find a GameFAQs thread with people having a similar issue (and no definitive answers). Someone notes this refresh seems to happen every 5 days, though that was just an observation of three happenings of it and no other posts following that thought were made. It's also noted(?)/suggested that clearing the story and going online may cause the resets, though that doesn't seem to factor in on this particular issue.

BTW, this random reset also affects Mass Outbreaks, may possibly also affects Auctions too.

Right now it seems like a mystery, one that no one really seems to care about has it happens too infrequently to matter. :blobshrug:

This is a wild guess but ironically it could be due to the fact that the time/date synchronization setting is on, since it seems like the game is sensitive to even just opening the time menu which might reset the current seconds, so the Switch automatically readjusting the time might be the cause of the random resets. There's not much info on when the Switch does this though so it's hard to say if it's the cause since most people probably leave it on by default anyway.

Probably not the time but I think Terastallization isn't a word. It's the Terastal phenomenon. The noun is Terastal. Terastallize is a word but Terastallization isn't. Rise up or whatever
I dunno if I'm in the right place, but am I correct about this? It's just for fun and out of curiosity, but on Smogon it's been consistently referred to as Terastallization and it sounds wrong to me. Terastallize is definitely a word but is there any canon usage of "Terastallization"?.

I guess in my head it's kind of like how there's baptize but there's no baptization. There's a different noun, which is baptism. With Terastallize the noun is Terastal. Am I nuts?

Edit: as a reference

Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 9.11.10 PM.png

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
I dunno if I'm in the right place, but am I correct about this? It's just for fun and out of curiosity, but on Smogon it's been consistently referred to as Terastallization and it sounds wrong to me. Terastallize is definitely a word but is there any canon usage of "Terastallization"?.

I guess in my head it's kind of like how there's baptize but there's no baptization. There's a different noun, which is baptism. With Terastallize the noun is Terastal. Am I nuts?
https://scarletviolet.pokemon.com/en-us/trainers-guide/the-terastal-phenomenon/

First word, fourth sentence of the first paragraph.

In SV, has anyone noticed their raids sometimes updating mid-day (basically like a new day reroll) after already having updated at midnight, without going online?

It's happened to me a couple of times, where I noticed I suddenly had a new 6* raid available after clearing one the same day.

It just happened today with the 7* raid. I didn't play after midnight, and went to do the 7* raid first thing, failed/ran, and when I emerged from the raid it was a 3* marenie, and another 7* had been placed elsewhere on the map. The 6* also got rerolled, and presumably the rest of the raids as well.

Happened to me too. I was going around just knocking out Raids, and then when I came back from doing one I looked at the map and all of the sudden there's an entire new map of Raids.

I looked around on Google and most sites I found were about intentionally pushing the clock forward, but I did eventually find a GameFAQs thread with people having a similar issue (and no definitive answers). Someone notes this refresh seems to happen every 5 days, though that was just an observation of three happenings of it and no other posts following that thought were made. It's also noted(?)/suggested that clearing the story and going online may cause the resets, though that doesn't seem to factor in on this particular issue.

BTW, this random reset also affects Mass Outbreaks, may possibly also affects Auctions too.

Right now it seems like a mystery, one that no one really seems to care about has it happens too infrequently to matter. :blobshrug:
This is a wild guess but ironically it could be due to the fact that the time/date synchronization setting is on, since it seems like the game is sensitive to even just opening the time menu which might reset the current seconds, so the Switch automatically readjusting the time might be the cause of the random resets. There's not much info on when the Switch does this though so it's hard to say if it's the cause since most people probably leave it on by default anyway.
For record keeping, it happened again this morning, five days after the last day, just like the gamefaqs post reported. I'll try to remember to note if it happens five days from now.

Not gonna try to mess with the switch auto-update to see if it stops it, though, since it is occasionally useful to reroll annoying 6* raids and nice to get 2 7* in a day. :P

Do wild held items still exist in SV? I have to assume they do but I can't find any info. Would for instance wild Magnemite still have a 5% chance of holding Metal Coats?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)