Onix (LC Analysis)

Bobtheball4

CAP Playtesting Expert
Okay, SS Wall Onix is actually pretty cool. Two major changes should be made, though. First, get rid of 76 Atk EVs, it's over the 510 EV limit. I would change it too 236 HP / 236 SpD / 36 Spe, you get 14 speed which is enough to outpace Aron before a Rock Polish and hit it with Earthquake. Second, replace Roar with Explosion. Roar and Whirlwind are too hard to use in Little Cup without a recovery move, so Explosion is way more useful.

Also on Pokemon Online, I was fighting someone who was using a surprisingly good Onix. While Rock Polish Onix is outclassed by Rhyhorn and Geodude, neither of them hit the magic 14 Speed. Onix gets 17 Speed, making it a surprisingly good Scarfer. It's only real competition as a Scarfer is Cranidos (Larvitar should always be holding a status orb, Anorith and Gligar have better options than Scarf, etc.). Scarf Onix's advantages over Cranidos is it at least ties with Mankey when using a Jolly Nature and it doesn't take SE hits from Bullet Punch. I think a Scarf Onix set with Double-Edge / Earthquake / Stone Edge / Explosion should go in the analysis.
hmm... Im not sure what made me to put 76 EVs into attack if it didn't fit. I've also been looking for Eo to help test the SS stall set as he's the master, but he has been gone recently :(. I actually was thinking of putting explosion on the wall set, but it seemed kind of like the opposite of what it was meant to do so I held off on it.

I could test using scarf Onix as that seems like something I'd be better at compared to stall. I'll probably replace my scarf Gligar on my current team and then go ladder on PO or dougs. Thanks draco!

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Scarf Onix is probably mostly outclassed by Scarf Gligar. I'm also opposed to RP Onix. What's it going to be Exploding on? EdgeQuake resists also resist Explosion (hey, Bronzor!) and other RPers are capable of muscling through stuff that Onix can't.

As for double RP, Gligar and Magnet Rise Aron have much better synergy to pair together.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Well, I tried the mixed wall out for a bit. I have to compare it to Lileep, and it's sort of outclassed. No recovery and several crippling weaknesses, most notably to Water. You can't really do much special walling, except for Houndour without HP Grass and Gastly (whom you cannot touch). Physically, you're generally better off with Bronzor. I would say it's not really that viable.

Bobtheball4

CAP Playtesting Expert
well, I tried out the scarf Onix set. It was good at getting surprising kills, but once they found out it was scarfed, it didn't really accomplish much. Right now the only set that i see worth an analysis is the Lead set, then the rest in Other Options as they are outclassed by others.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lead approved, solid set. One of the fastest and most bulky SRers. Mention competition with Gligar if not running Explosion.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus

Approving the Lead set. It's a solid Stealth Rock lead that is moderately fast. Fairly reliable at gettin SR down from what I see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)