Announcement one last word before the new year

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi everyone,

Starting today I am formally stepping down as a moderator and from all other positions of responsibility on Smogon. In all honesty, I should have done this awhile ago - doubtless some of you have been wondering when I'd finally croak - but, you know, it's a bit tough to finally let go of something that's been a part of your life for almost ten years now. But that time must come eventually, and you guys deserve a fully active and engaged moderation team going forward into the new year.

Before I go though, I'd like to say just one more thing.

Smogon is many things to many people. To some, it's the premier site for trying to make competitive sense out of this crazy thing called Pokemon. To others, it's a great place to find people who share your interests and form lasting friendships. And to others still, it's a cesspool of circlejerk politics and stupid drama that sucks the joy out of your life. Everyone may see Smogon in different ways, but it ultimately comes back to the people. Smogon as a community is only as strong as its users want it to be. Pokemon as a game is only as fun as its players want it to be. We've experienced (and in many cases, continue to experience) a lot of terrible things over at Smogon from cheating scandals to vitriolic politics to outright malice from individuals unwilling to accept the responsibility for their mistakes. These things endanger the integrity of the game, which is the only thing that makes Pokemon competitive and Smogon respectable. That integrity has been damaged significantly over time, but it isn't too late to recover it. If it is to be recovered, however, it is up for you to decide. All of you. As members of this community, you are all stewards of the game's integrity and it is up to you to preserve it so that competitive Pokemon can continue to be a fun and fulfilling endeavor. Smogon and competitive Pokemon are a deeply flawed experiment, but it is one that is worthwhile and truly wonderful when it works. Please don't ruin that for everyone by throwing away your integrity.

I have confidence in Nayrz and dream to help steer the ship going forward. I'll still be around in various places on Discord if you want to chat, and may even still play from time to time, but my days as a moderator/policymaker are over. I hope you all will continue to enjoy the community and the game for many years to come!

Anyway, that's all. Make this new year a great one. Peace.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)