Proposal On Commander Tatsugiri + Dondozo, and DOU Tiering

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
:sv/dondozo: :sv/tatsugiri:

There have been many discussions on the Dondozo + Commander Tatsugiri pairing (henceforth DCT) and its place in the current SV DOU metagame. There has also been a recent council vote on it, as seen here. This post aims to invite discussion on how to best "properly address" this element according to Smogon philosophy; as an explicit disclaimer, this post is made irrespective of any leaning towards keep or ban and my personal opinions on such, but rather is aimed towards discussing what the "right ban" would be if something ever happens.

To contextualize, this post was inspired by DOU Tiering Leadership apparently being told by the Smogon Tiering Powers-That-Be to put Tatsugiri to the slate. To an extent, I can understand why: it's the Pokemon that has the ability Commander, which is the element that actually enables the entire strategy in the first place. However, I will argue why this is not the move when it comes to DOU, and why we should do a Commander ban instead.

On the Case for Tatsugiri: The Singles Framework

To contextualize why this is the ban that is apparently being espoused by the esteemed Tiering Council, let us look at a recent OU example: the Houndstone ban.

Houndstone is an attacker that boasts the move Last Respects, an attack that scales significantly by the number of fainted teammates. This attack was so powerful that they banned Houndstone entirely, despite its power budget undeniably being invested solely in Last Respects. Of course, some would argue: "why not just ban Last Respects?", to which the pre-emptive response given by OUTL Finchinator was, and I quote:
Right now, Houndstone is the only legal Pokemon with Last Respects. You cannot alienate a singular move as being banworthy if only a single Pokemon learns it; the necessary burden of proof for banning a move would be it directly causing multiple Pokemon to be banworthy.
This has been a fairly controversial ban, but let us put aside for a moment our personal thoughts on that matter; what matters in this DOU case is that this is the framework we are apparently working with, which I can at least personally see as having a level of objectivity in its attempts to balance. As Houndstone is the only one with current access to Last Respects, there is apparently also currently no objective method of assessing solely Last Respects, and thus to ban Last Respects would be a subjective attempt to keep Houndstone in the format. They did indeed concede that this is a ban that will be revisited once the leaked Pokemon that also has Last Respects access is made available; obviously, this is because we'll be able to actually separate Houndstone from Last Respects, and thus able to assess Last Respects individually in an objective manner.

This is pretty much the same case for Tatsugiri. The premise is that Tatsugiri is the only Pokemon with access to Commander, and thus we are unable to objectively separate Tatsugiri from Commander—this is why the Smogon Powers-That-Be made the DOU Council vote on Tatsugiri specifically.

On the Case for Specifically Commander: On Ruling DOU-specific Interactions

However, there is a problem with the above premise: it does not actually account for the fact that this tackles a DOU-specific interaction; specifically, it involves a specific-partners-on-the-field dynamic. There is emphasis on specific here: it is a mechanic that involves a Pokemon with Commander and Dondozo. There is also emphasis on partners: OU does not have Pokemon being "partners" on the field due to the format being 1v1.

These properties of being specific and partners-based are what necessitate us to reconsider how we approach how we tier DCT. The premise of a Tatsugiri ban specifically is based on how we seemingly cannot separate the ability Commander from Tatsugiri... but what if we arguably can? In a singles environment, Pokemon are often working individually with their interactions with their teammates being quite passive in much regards—they are essentially 6 Pokemon acting independently. A doubles environment, however, gives freedom for more active intra-team dynamics and gives way for doubles-exclusive synergies, which Commander specifically mechanically allows in a unique way. The premise of Tatsugiri and Commander being inseperable is a failure to see Commander as it actually is: a specifically promoted synergy between Dondozo and Tatsugiri.

One can still argue that it is Tatsugiri specifically that we should ban because it is its own ability in Commander which enables the strategy in the first place. However, we must recognize that the burden here does not lie in Tatsugiri itself. We actually can assert that the viability of Dondozo plays a part of assessing DCT as a strategy as whether or not it itself was up to par would affect the strategy's power, ergo we actually can assess Commander by itself by virtue of something else interacting with it. To date, there has been no other ability in the game which requires a specifically named other Pokemon in its description (per my sources :blobglare:).

To add to this, there is also actually precedent already for a ban based on DOU-specific interaction, and that is early SS DOU's Beat Up ban during the Dynamax era. It similarly involves a specific-partners-on-the-field dynamic that DCT has, this time a dynamic between a Pokemon with Beat Up and between a Pokemon with Justified. Of course, the DCT and the Beat Up ban are mechanically different, particularly in speed of strategy and nature of interaction, but the premise is essentially the same: both involve one Pokemon bolstering the other in a manner only allowable by a doubles format. The Beat Up ban removed the specific enabling element, which is Beat Up, but this also had the property of the move being accessible by a wider pool Pokemon. In DCT, the proposed Commander ban would be still consistent despite the more limited accessibility as it would still hit the same thing: the specific enabling element; to the argument that Tatsugiri should be banned due to availability, refer back to the paragraphs above.

Conclusion

I believe that tiering framework espoused by the Tiering Council is particularly singles- / OU-biased, which leaves it unable to adequately make the right call towards DOU-specific interactions such as Dondozo + Commander Tatsugiri. This has lead to the following: the Tiering Council called for the DOU Council to vote on Tatsugiri, which I argue is a mistake. I instead argue that we should ban Commander. Irrespective of this, I argue that we should nevertheless reassess how we approach specific DOU interactions for future DOU-specific policy decisions. If Game Freak ever makes a Doubles-specific interaction like this again, it'd be better if our tiering philosophy was better equipped to adequately make rulings toward it, even if we conclude "no change in action" (but please don't).

P.S.: O esteemed DOU Council, please free Dark Void in SM DOU, or I will tattle to the esteemed Tiering Council about this inconsistency. Thank you so much!

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Had a very long chat on discord about this quandry, but i think the strongest argument to make here that Commander can be the target of tiering action as an ability would be that while Commander might only actually be on Tatsugiri in reality, it's incredibly evident that the effect of the ability is so singular that it wouldn't actually matter what Pokemon it is on to how the ability is used. The point isn't to buff the Commander mon itself, but rather its partner Dondozo, such that it really doesn't matter what the Commander Pokemon is. Indeed the Pokemon with Commander is inactionable the entire time its boosting Dondozo. If the ability was on Magikarp, it would still be used in essentially the same way. If it were on Shedinja, with its 1 HP and ability to instantly die to a toxic orb, the combination would be even better.

This is comparable to the way we've thought about abilities like Moody or Shadow Tag that did get banned. Even on very bad pokemon, they'd still be problematic (and contrast that to something like Gorilla Tactics which would very clearly NOT be broken on a large swath of Pokemon, and thus wouldn't be the target of a ban - you'd have to ban Darm-G). Unlike Moody or Shadow Tag though, Tatsugiri lacks that second "very bad Pokemon" such as its own prevo to make that evident, but I don't know that we should let that get in the way of our ability to tier the ability if necessary, rather than the Pokemon. This is surely the most clear cut case of "it's the ability, not the Pokemon" that has ever existed.

PS: I am expressing no personal opinion on whether or not any tiering action is actually needed, just adding an argument behind why maybe Commander should actually be allowed as the target of tiering.
PPS: I don't know that we necessarily need to make a mountain out of a mole hill here since "saving" Storm Drain Tatsugiri hardly feels necessary
PPPS: If this thread is otherwise necessary though to set precedent for ways Doubles should perhaps be allowed to tier with different methodology from Singles, then I guess I'm all for that

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
This is comparable to the way we've thought about abilities like Moody or Shadow Tag that did get banned. Even on very bad pokemon, they'd still be problematic (and contrast that to something like Gorilla Tactics which would very clearly NOT be broken on a large swath of Pokemon, and thus wouldn't be the target of a ban - you'd have to ban Darm-G). Unlike Moody or Shadow Tag though, Tatsugiri lacks that second "very bad Pokemon" such as its own prevo to make that evident, but I don't know that we should let that get in the way of our ability to tier the ability if necessary, rather than the Pokemon. This is surely the most clear cut case of "it's the ability, not the Pokemon" that has ever existed.
I personally believe the fact that Moody and Shadow Tag are on multiple Pokémon is actually important for the purposes of policy consistency, especially since I'm pretty sure Shadow Tag Wynaut/Gothorita have seen legitimate success. (Also Arena Trap Diglett I guess.)

I don't see why it would be so hard to just ban Tatsugiri here as the owner the ability unless you really think it's that important of an element in the Doubles meta that needs preserving. I know Doubles =/= Singles but this feels like an unnecessary overcomplication.

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
I don't see why it would be so hard to just ban Tatsugiri here as the owner the ability unless you really think it's that important of an element in the Doubles meta that needs preserving. I know Doubles =/= Singles but this feels like an unnecessary overcomplication.
I don't think that the reason we should (or shouldn't) preserve Tatsugiri over Commander should have any sort of relationship to preserving Storm Drain Tatsugiri as a specific meta element worth preserving, that's never been how we've tiered mons and I think that's what would constitute an unnecessary overcomplication. As far as I'm aware, tiering actions are not supposed to consider the viability of any part of the tiering action except the specific action being considered; while this is often referenced in terms of handling broken-checks-broken metagames, I think it should also apply here.

But I don't think that changes whether the proper tiering action should be Commander, Tatsugiri, or Dondozo. I don't think anyone except people absolutely entrenched in Smogon tiering policy would ever see Tatsugiri as the issue with the strategy that almost everyone calls Dondozo. The rallying cry of people who want the strategy gone has been "ban Dondozo." If we ban Tatsugiri, the question from casual players, including VGC players, is going to be "Why is Tatsugiri banned and not Dondozo or Commander?" This is, of course, not a great reason to specifically ban Dondozo or Commander. But I do think it's a good reason to identify the specific issue at play, because I think its unfair to say Tatsugiri must be the problem mon when it's clear that many current players of DOU do not feel that way and many future players are unlikely to agree as well, since the strategy requires three identifiable parts: Dondozo being on the field at the same time as a Tatsugiri with Commander.

Lower tiers in singles have regularly been given the autonomy to ban abilities on mons who had alternative abilities when only one mon had said abiity, especially early in the generation; Drizzle is banned in SM UU despite the only abuser being Politoed, and was banned again in SS UU when the only abuser was Pelipper, though Politoed was an anticipated drop at the time (it was then, to my knowledge, unbanned when Pelipper, the problem mon, moved to OU on its own, though I have no desire to go through multiple oldgen threads to confirm that). The obvious reason for these bans being fine is that they're not overcomplicated, and that, if anything, it's more complex to maintain the policy of "We ban the mon, unless there's another abuser, and then we ban the ability" because it just makes tiering that much more arcane for outsiders looking in while doing nothing of value for the development of tiers as a whole. On top of this, we have have also, routinely at this point, made frankly bizarre tiering decisions in favor of keeping otherwise completely unviable mons legal. Sand Veil ban in DPP only came about after a needlessly overcomplicated series of mon+ability bans. BW weather nerfs are still all over the place and I don't think they've made anyone happy at any time ever. While I am all for luck item bans, I am unaware of any situation in which King's Rock was broken on anything except Cloyster. The entire discussion of singles Tera even entertaining the idea of anything except a full Tera ban feels like a complete derogation of existing policy.

I find it extremely difficult to understand why it's fine for lower singles tiers and oldgens doing bans that feel wholly inconsistent with our tiering policy, but Doubles is expected to engage with tiering only in prescribed ways despite facing unique issues exclusive to Doubles. This is perhaps the first time one such issue has been so thoroughly entrenched in Doubles-specific mechanics - Ally Switch being the next closest scenario - but I think it's the right time to identify a policy for addressing such issues and I think the only right way to do it is for Doubles players to specifically be at the forefront of developing this policy - even if it ultimately leads to a policy decision I disagree with, which feels likely as I am under the impression the council's decision would be to ban Tatsugiri.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
It seem to me Doubles OU, as well as singles OU, already has precedent in banning specific abilities, not Pokemon. Consider Power Construct Zygarde in SM/SS. Even though Power Construct is a unique ability tied only to Zygarde, DOU opted to ban the Ability, not the Pokemon, even though the Pokemon was the only way to use that Ability. I don't think it's sufficient to argue "but Zygarde's leads to a new forme!" because Commander's effect is pretty darn close to one for Dondozo: it gives a +2 omniboost, phazing protection, a new effect on Order Up, not to mention the unique properties of Tatsugiri's special semi-invulnerability. In a similar way, I'm sure if Battle Bond Greninja was ever deemed broken in SM, the community would have banned Battle Bond, not Greninja itself. It seems clear to me that Commander should be tiered, not Tatsugiri or Dondozo specifically.

Last edited:

Karxrida

I don't think that the reason we should (or shouldn't) preserve Tatsugiri over Commander should have any sort of relationship to preserving Storm Drain Tatsugiri as a specific meta element worth preserving, that's never been how we've tiered mons and I think that's what would constitute an unnecessary overcomplication. As far as I'm aware, tiering actions are not supposed to consider the viability of any part of the tiering action except the specific action being considered; while this is often referenced in terms of handling broken-checks-broken metagames, I think it should also apply here.

But I don't think that changes whether the proper tiering action should be Commander, Tatsugiri, or Dondozo. I don't think anyone except people absolutely entrenched in Smogon tiering policy would ever see Tatsugiri as the issue with the strategy that almost everyone calls Dondozo. The rallying cry of people who want the strategy gone has been "ban Dondozo." If we ban Tatsugiri, the question from casual players, including VGC players, is going to be "Why is Tatsugiri banned and not Dondozo or Commander?" This is, of course, not a great reason to specifically ban Dondozo or Commander. But I do think it's a good reason to identify the specific issue at play, because I think its unfair to say Tatsugiri must be the problem mon when it's clear that many current players of DOU do not feel that way and many future players are unlikely to agree as well, since the strategy requires three identifiable parts: Dondozo being on the field at the same time as a Tatsugiri with Commander.
Based on what (allegedly) is policy, Tatsugiri is the one with Commander and thus enables the strat. Commander originates from it and it leaves the field to buff Dondozo. The fact that it's a super specific interaction doesn't mean it's not a thing tied mostly to Tatsugiri. We (should) ban things based on their best set and not parts of them, so Tasugiri would have to go. I feel like this whole thing is a solution looking for a problem.

Unless Dondozo is a problem outside of Commander, then yeah get rid of it instead.

Lower tiers in singles have regularly been given the autonomy to ban abilities on mons who had alternative abilities when only one mon had said abiity, especially early in the generation; Drizzle is banned in SM UU despite the only abuser being Politoed, and was banned again in SS UU when the only abuser was Pelipper, though Politoed was an anticipated drop at the time (it was then, to my knowledge, unbanned when Pelipper, the problem mon, moved to OU on its own, though I have no desire to go through multiple oldgen threads to confirm that). The obvious reason for these bans being fine is that they're not overcomplicated, and that, if anything, it's more complex to maintain the policy of "We ban the mon, unless there's another abuser, and then we ban the ability" because it just makes tiering that much more arcane for outsiders looking in while doing nothing of value for the development of tiers as a whole. On top of this, we have have also, routinely at this point, made frankly bizarre tiering decisions in favor of keeping otherwise completely unviable mons legal. Sand Veil ban in DPP only came about after a needlessly overcomplicated series of mon+ability bans. BW weather nerfs are still all over the place and I don't think they've made anyone happy at any time ever. While I am all for luck item bans, I am unaware of any situation in which King's Rock was broken on anything except Cloyster. The entire discussion of singles Tera even entertaining the idea of anything except a full Tera ban feels like a complete derogation of existing policy.

I find it extremely difficult to understand why it's fine for lower singles tiers and oldgens doing bans that feel wholly inconsistent with our tiering policy, but Doubles is expected to engage with tiering only in prescribed ways despite facing unique issues exclusive to Doubles. This is perhaps the first time one such issue has been so thoroughly entrenched in Doubles-specific mechanics - Ally Switch being the next closest scenario - but I think it's the right time to identify a policy for addressing such issues and I think the only right way to do it is for Doubles players to specifically be at the forefront of developing this policy - even if it ultimately leads to a policy decision I disagree with, which feels likely as I am under the impression the council's decision would be to ban Tatsugiri.
I personally find a lot of those past decisions done by Singles really stupid (lol what is Gen 5) and would prefer if we stopped with them tbh. King's Rock is the only one I can really get behind because it's actually an uncompetitive element (unlike what everyone in the OU Tera thread would lead you to believe with their flagrant misuse of the term) that anything can abuse to cheese wins and adds nothing of value to the metagame. It's consistent with us banning Brightpowder anyway. (We did do that, right?)

Not going to get into Tera itself because I don't feel like this is the place for it when we have two other threads for that.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It seem to me Doubles OU, as well as singles OU, already has precedent in banning specific abilities, not Pokemon. Consider Power Construct Zygarde in SM/SS. Even though Power Construct is a unique ability tied only to Zygarde, DOU opted to ban the Ability, not the Pokemon, even though the Pokemon was the only way to use that Ability. I don't think it's sufficient to argue "but Zygarde's leads to a new forme!" because Commander's effect is pretty darn close to one for Dondozo: it gives a +2 omniboost, phazing protection, a new effect on Order Up, not to mention the unique properties of Tatsugiri's special semi-invulnerability. In a similar way, I'm sure if Battle Bond Greninja was ever deemed broken in SM, the community would have banned Battle Bond, not Greninja itself. It seems clear to me that Commander should be tiered, not Tatsugiri or Dondozo specifically.
This was my original starting position too. However, 2 key points that came up in the long discord discussion I referenced that make this not as apt of an argument:

1) Dondozo's omniboost, phazing immunity, different effects for Order Up based on the Tatsugiri form, and the animation when they enter the field together is for whatever reason... not a form change. I have no idea why GF didn't make a Dondozo-Commanded or whatever where you can see Tatsugiri in the mouth, but they didn't. Game data wise there is no actual separate form anywhere. I fully agree it's the closest thing to a form change that isn't a form change, but rules are rules. Yes, Ash Greninja was tiered separately from non-Ash Greninja, just both in OU, but that's because they actually are separate species. This isn't actually a literal form change. Dondozo just gains unusual properties and Tatsugiri just becomes inactionable.
2) Zygarde's Power Construct was available on both Zygarde-10% and Zygarde-50%, so 1 ability ban saved 2 Pokemon bans.

Fangame10

DOU Master of Snow-based Trick Room teams
is a Tiering Contributor
Tatsugiri technically has 3 forms, and each form affects what Order Up will do. This means that technically it's 3 separate pokemon if you consider things like Ash-Greninja vs Regular Greninja or Zygarde-50% vs Zygarde-10% (though the differences between the forms are not as drastic). We've had 2 of them see play in DWCOP separately recently and it's my belief these separate forms have a legitimate competitive impact unlike more cosmetic different forms such as Vivillon. Based on tiering policy it's my assumption we could possibly consider them as separate Pokémon and perhaps then we could legitimately consider a Commander ban instead of banning Tatsugiri.

Karxrida

Tatsugiri technically has 3 forms, and each form affects what Order Up will do. This means that technically it's 3 separate pokemon if you consider things like Ash-Greninja vs Regular Greninja or Zygarde-50% vs Zygarde-10% (though the differences between the forms are not as drastic). We've had 2 of them see play in DWCOP separately recently and it's my belief these separate forms have a legitimate competitive impact unlike more cosmetic different forms such as Vivillon. Based on tiering policy it's my assumption we could possibly consider them as separate Pokémon and perhaps then we could legitimately consider a Commander ban instead of banning Tatsugiri.
Can we get details here? Bulbapedia is being supremely unhelpful with specifying how each form affects Commander.

Also, if this is true, this could be considered consistent with how we handle non-cosmetic forms as separate Pokémon and an ability ban may actually be warranted.

Can we get details here? Bulbapedia is being supremely unhelpful with specifying how each form affects Commander.

Also, if this is true, this could be considered consistent with how we handle non-cosmetic forms as separate Pokémon and an ability ban may actually be warranted.
Tatsugiri-Curly (orange) gives an attack boost when a Commander boosted Dondozo uses Order Up. Tatsugiri-Droopy (red) gives a defense boost when a Commander boosted Dondozo uses Order Up. Tatsugiri-Stretchy (yellow) gives a speed boost when a Commander boosted Dondozo uses Order Up. All Order Up boosts are +1 per use.

Both Curly and Droopy Tatsugiri have seen use in DWCOP so far and can have a pretty significant impact on what Dondozo set the opponent is running. Droopy is more commonly used with RestTalk variants, while Curly is used with more offensive sets.

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Fangame10 raises a great point, and I just want to take the time to elaborate a bit on how differently Dondozo is utilized depending on the forme of Tatsuguri that accompanies it.

Basically you have:

:tatsugiri-droopy: Tatsugiri-Droopy

Order Up boosts Dondozo's Defense stat. This is most commonly being used by Dondozo in tandum with the ability Unaware, as well as the moves Body Press, Rest, and Sleep Talk to create a +2 omniboosted wall that slowly stalls turns, continuially recovers with Rest, and racks up Defense boosts that allow Body Press to deal huge damage and break the opposing team through an attrition war before letting the rest of the team clean up with fast offensive pressure (if Dozo doesn't just win on the spot, that is). This is arguably the set that has seen the most success in DWCOP and SV DOU Kickoff tour so far, as can be seen in the replays below:
:tatsugiri: Tatsugiri-Curly

Order Up boosts Dondozo's Attack stat. Dondozos that are paired with Tatsuguri-Curly (aka just default "Tatsuguri" for PS purposes) generally intend to run a STAB Water-type move like Liquidation or Wave Crash, as well as Order Up to boost their attack. You can run any of Substitute, coverage attacks, Protect and/or Sleep Talk + Rest in your remaining moveslots although typically if you're running Tatsuguri-Curly you're more invested in immediate power through Attack EV investment and STAB Water moves. I haven't seen as many good replays of this in action, the ones I was able to find typically just clicked Water STAB for a few turns then died (if people flag more replays for me I will edit them in):
:tatsugiri-stretchy: Tatsugiri-Stretchy

Order Up boosts Dondozo's Speed stat. This set...exists?? But compared to Droopy and Curly, Stretchy just hasn't been as appealing in the DOU community so far since the speed boost isn't as impactful as either an Attack or Defense boost. Dondozo is a pretty slow mon even at +2, and in the time it could be spending to increase speed, it would probably much rather snowball with either the Droopy stall strat or the Curly offensive snowball strat.

Honourable mention:

:toxic-orb:+:flamigo: Suicide Tatsugiri + Flamigo

For all intents and purposes, this strat usually uses Curly Tatsugiri although any technically work. The gimmicky idea here is to use a Tatsuguri holding a Toxic Orb or Black Sludge (and possibly at level 1 with Endure, although that isn't mandatory) to kill the Tatsuguri and allow a second ally on the field (often times Flamigo because Costar copies the +2 omniboost). I just mention this to cover all the possible Commander strats that exist, although I would consider this one the most gimmicky:
Hope this helps illustrate that Tatsuguri's different forms do in fact have a significant difference in how Dondozo is utilized!

GoldCat

BOSSARU CUP WINNER
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a defending SCL Champion
Even if there are competitive differences between the Tasugiri forms, that is not grounds for tiering them as different mons. To boil it down, Pokemon forms that change typing (Rotom-A) or stats (male and female Indeedee) are treated as different mons tiering-wise. Nothing else. Basculin, Toxtricity, and Meowstic are all treated as one mon despite their forms having unique abilities or movepools. So if you want to ban Toxtricity for its Shift Gear set then Low-key has to kick the bucket as well. There was a thread a while back trying to change how we tier Pokemon forms for those interested.

Tiering the Curly, Droopy, and Stretchy forms separately to solely keep Tatsugiri just comes off as trying to game the system by fabricating a technicality. I don't think it's wise to go down this road. However, the discussion at large about Doubles tiering is an important one, as I doubt this will be the last Doubles specific mechanic to cause tiering headaches.

Z Strats

Banned deucer.
Hey just bumping wondering if we can get an answer from tiering admins soon considering there is another vote for this in the coming days and I'd be quite surprised if it wasn't banned. Personally I definitely think it should be commander the ability getting banned, it's the combo that is broken not the individual mons. If for some reason we can't ban commander I think it should be Dondozo getting banned over Tatsugiri. It is mainly Dondozo a bulky mon with a good BST and unaware getting an omniboost so easily that makes the combo a problem, if you have to single out one it feels like it should be Dondozo (though choosing one of the two is pretty arbitrary imo which is why it should again, just be commander).

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
Smogon Tiering Philosophy
In my opinion, an effective tiering philosphy should be objective, consistent, clear, and simple. The Smogon mantra, summed up, is to tier Pokemon (not moves, items, or abilities), which does a good job of fulfilling those criteria.

From a casual perspective, Pokemon are literally what the games are about, and using your favourites is a large appeal. Tiering by Pokemon plays into this idea ("there's always a tier where your favourite is viable!"), but is also reasonable from a more neutral standpoint because Pokemon are the fundamental building blocks of creating a team. What is a Pokemon though? From a competitive lens, Pokemon are primarily a typing and set of base stats (which are fixed), but also have a pool of moves and abilities to choose from (which are usually variable, except on Pokemon with one ability). Items are in general available to be held and usable, though some items having its effect limited depending on the holder. When you use a move, item, or ability, you do so within the context of using it on a particular Pokemon, even though generally they are not exclusive to that Pokemon. When you use a particular Pokemon, the moves, item, and ability can vary, even within the same "set" (with distinct sets being difficult to clearly define).

Pokemon are clearly distinct from each other, though (with the exception of formes, which are sometimes tiered separately or not depending on their differences): if you ban a Pokemon, this has no direct effect on any other Pokemon, i.e. they can still use the same sets, though obviously it could have an indirect effect due to their effectiveness changing as a result of the ban. On the other hand, if you ban an item, move, or ability, then that has a direct effect on the multiple Pokemon which lose access to it, and so cannot use the same sets anymore. By banning "part" of a Pokemon, rather than the Pokemon, you ban part of other Pokemon too, even if they were not a problem, causing collateral, which is bad. On the other hand, you can argue that banning a Pokemon means banning all its sets, even if only one was a problem, causing a different type of collateral. As mentioned earlier though, defining what qualifies as a "set" is a grey area, and often the set which leads to a Pokemon being banned is the best/sole set anyways. The unique/defining aspect of a Pokemon is also often part of why it's banned (rather obviously, when you think about it, as otherwise other Pokemon could run the same set but even better because of their unique aspect). So if you ban the unique part of a Pokemon to "save" it, then you've still lost the most meaningful aspect of it anyways.

A benefit of banning Pokemon as opposed to other elements is avoiding subjectivity in which element should be targeted. The reality is that there can be, and often will be, multiple non-Pokemon elements which "break" a Pokemon, where without all of which, it would no longer be a problem; even if there's usually one that people will jump as if it is completely to blame. This not only introduces a lot of subjectivity into which of the options should be banned, but also into deciding which elements would be "enough" in the first place, or which has the least "impact" when banned if you're factoring that in. This means that on top of the necessary debate over whether a Pokemon is banworthy or not, the unnecessary and quite subjective debate of which specific element should be banned is introduced on top, which is a big negative.

Now obviously, not all Smogon bans are actually Pokemon bans, for better or for worse. Generally speaking, if a non-Pokemon element is to be banned though, that element should be the cause of multiple Pokemon becoming banworthy which would not be otherwise. If there's a signature element on a banworthy Pokemon, and you think should that should be banned instead (e.g. the topical Last Respects on Houndstone), that's a no-no, you cannot ban part of a Pokemon to "save" that Pokemon. You could get into subjective arguments about how that element would hypothetically be on other Pokemon, but that shouldn't be a basis for tiering. It's also, frankly, unfair to other banned Pokemon, there's moves which otherwise see little to no use which could be banned to "save" those Pokemon but aren't since they're not unique. We don't ban Wicked Blow for Urshifu-S, and we don't ban Leaf Blade for Kartana either. The approach to tiering should stay consistent: ban the problem Pokemon, not part of it.

A Quick History of Some Combinations in Doubles
So, you should stick to banning Pokemon as opposed to other elements, all well and good, but this doesn't provide a clear answer for a more complicated scenario: what if a situation arises where a combination of Pokemon arises as the problem? Let's go through some examples in doubles:

:xy/azumarill: + :xy/jirachi:
Belly Drum Azumarill + Follow Me Jirachi (XY DOU)
Near the end of generation 6, a problematic duo was rampaging across doubles, pairing Belly Drum Azumarill + Follow Me Jirachi. Jirachi, now banned in every generation of doubles including XY, could use its comfortable bulk and potent Steel-typing to safely redirect away any attacks, while Azumarill set up and went to town with Aqua Jet (plus Knock Off or Play Rough). Notably, other redirectors were far less effective: Amoonguss, while good, cannot redirect opposing Amoonguss or Safety Goggles users (a common item in the format due to Amoonguss' prevalence), while other Follow Me users like Togekiss were just much worse redirectors, lacking Jirachi's lethal combination of stats and excellent defensive typing. Jirachi, quite differently from now, was also largely seen as unproblematic outside of the duo in question, at the time. So, this case was viewed as the broken combination of two otherwise fine Pokemon, with it being up for debate which if any of the two should be banned, the enabler or the beneficiary. A controversial banning process followed which I won't get into here, but the resolution of the situation from a modern perspective is, Jirachi is broken, even without Azumarill, so that is banned, while Azumarill is free and not a problem without it. To summarise: we banned the enabler of the two Pokemon, since that was the problem Pokemon, even though it was not providing or using the boosts.

Why didn't we ban Follow Me instead though? That would have solved the problem, and "saved" Jirachi which 100% would not be a problem without it, and actually a cool Pokemon to have as an option. I'd argue you "lose" less with that than a Jirachi ban, especially since Follow Me is pretty niche otherwise in the tier and Rage Powder still exists as a much fairer form of redirection. Follow Me practically exists to enable strategies like this, and is quite restrictive when on an actually good Pokemon, there's a reason it gets stuck on bad Pokemon and two of the best users in DOU (Jirachi and Blastoise) got it via event so VGC never had to deal with them. Now of course, I don't actually think it should be banned, and banning it at the time was unthinkable since nothing else with Follow Me was an issue. What if that wasn't the case though, what if Follow Me was exclusive to Jirachi? Well then you'd have the same problem combination come up as before, but now some people would want to ban Follow Me instead to "save" Jirachi. If you gave one more Pokemon Follow Me in this hypothetical, one which would also be a broken redirector, then you'd have a lot of people wanting Follow Me banned. Except nothing about Jirachi itself has changed, and yet because of the change in which, if any, other Pokemon gain access to the same move as it, people's position on whether or Jirachi it should be banned has changed. Sticking just to Pokemon bans avoids these complications by being consistent: Jirachi is banworthy in each of those situations, so it should banned, regardless of what other Pokemon do or don't have Follow Me. Hopefully this thought experiment demonstrates why non-Pokemon bans should be avoided.

:ss/whimsicott: / :ss/dragapult: + :ss/terrakion: / :ss/cobalion:
Beat Up Whimsicott / Dragapult + Justified Terrakion / Cobalion (SS DOU)
Historically, Beat Up + Justified (targeting your teammate with Beat Up to activate the Justified boost 6 times) is a common ladder gimmick in doubles, something which could catch you out if unprepared, but not a serious threat in tournament level play. Early in generation 8, before Dynamax was banned from the tier, this was not the case, as Dynamaxing the Justified user made it an almost unstoppable threat, making it immune to Fake Out and much more difficult to KO, while also being able to attack and often even KO through Protect. With multiple Beat Up users, and multiple Justified users (though Terrakion was clearly the best one), none of whom would be a problem outside of the combination (neither the Pokemon nor the move), Beat Up is the element which was banned as a result (a ban since reversed after the removal of Dynamax). Now some doubles players might be reading this and thinking "Well actually, only Terrakion was a problem, Cobalion wasn't that good" in which case I'd argue you're saying that actually only Terrakion was banworthy and so that should have been banned instead of Beat Up. To summarise: we banned part of the multiple enabling Pokemon, which was in part providing the boosts to the multiple Pokemon being enabled.

:sv/tatsugiri: + :sv/dondozo:
Commander Tatsugiri + Dondozo (SV DOU)
Now we reach the main topic at hand, Commander Tatsugiri + Dondozo, a combination of two Pokemon both from the new generation. At the cost of becoming unusable (but semi-invulnerable), Commander Tatsugiri will provide +2 boosts to Dondozo in each of the main 6 stats and immunity to phazing. Sometimes this will be used in such a way that Tatsugiri will die after activating Commander so the player can still make use of that slot; Costar Flamigo has also seen limited use to further take advantage of the boosts. As mentioned in the OP, there has been some debate over which element should be banned, if action were to be taken. Similar to how the AzuRachi situation in XY was perceived to be at the time, there is a combination of two Pokemon which are a problem together, but not individually (though unlike with the prior case, one isn't actually just busted period).

Well clearly the solution is to ban one of them, though since both are individually fine, and both probably not too significant otherwise if you're factoring that in, the choice isn't completely obvious. Some people think it should be Dondozo since that's what gets the boosts, but I disagree, the offending part of the combination comes from Tatsugiri. Tatsugiri uniquely provides +2 boosts to Attack, Defense, Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed to its partner, Dondozo not uniquely happens to be pretty good with those boosts. If you asked what about Dondozo makes it banworthy, what would the answer be, that its name is "Dondozo" which means another Pokemon can give it absurd boosts via their ability? If you asked about Tatsugiri, then you could answer that it gives six +2 boosts to another Pokemon. That Dondozo is the only Pokemon these boosts can be given to is no fault of Dondozo's. If Commander worked on multiple different Pokemon it would be even clearer Tatsugiri was the problem, same with if Commander worked on an existing Pokemon instead. You can point at Commander specifically, but that's an ability on one Pokemon, so the correct approach is banning the Pokemon with that ability, again pointing to the answer being Tatsugiri. If you want to look at historical precedent, then we've already banned the enabler Pokemon of a combination before, so Dondozo doesn't have to be the one which is banned just because it's the one taking advantage of the boosts and therefore the face of the combination to the masses. To be clear, I'm not saying the enabler Pokemon of a combination is always the one which should be banned, that depends on the exact situation, but it can be, and in this case it's clearly at the heart of the problem with this combination.

On Ruling DOU-specific Interactions
However, there is a problem with the above premise: it does not actually account for the fact that this tackles a DOU-specific interaction; specifically, it involves a specific-partners-on-the-field dynamic. There is emphasis on specific here: it is a mechanic that involves a Pokemon with Commander and Dondozo. There is also emphasis on partners: OU does not have Pokemon being "partners" on the field due to the format being 1v1.

These properties of being specific and partners-based are what necessitate us to reconsider how we approach how we tier DCT. The premise of a Tatsugiri ban specifically is based on how we seemingly cannot separate the ability Commander from Tatsugiri... but what if we arguably can? In a singles environment, Pokemon are often working individually with their interactions with their teammates being quite passive in much regards—they are essentially 6 Pokemon acting independently. A doubles environment, however, gives freedom for more active intra-team dynamics and gives way for doubles-exclusive synergies, which Commander specifically mechanically allows in a unique way. The premise of Tatsugiri and Commander being inseperable is a failure to see Commander as it actually is: a specifically promoted synergy between Dondozo and Tatsugiri.

One can still argue that it is Tatsugiri specifically that we should ban because it is its own ability in Commander which enables the strategy in the first place. However, we must recognize that the burden here does not lie in Tatsugiri itself. We actually can assert that the viability of Dondozo plays a part of assessing DCT as a strategy as whether or not it itself was up to par would affect the strategy's power, ergo we actually can assess Commander by itself by virtue of something else interacting with it. To date, there has been no other ability in the game which requires a specifically named other Pokemon in its description (per my sources :blobglare:).

To add to this, there is also actually precedent already for a ban based on DOU-specific interaction, and that is early SS DOU's Beat Up ban during the Dynamax era. It similarly involves a specific-partners-on-the-field dynamic that DCT has, this time a dynamic between a Pokemon with Beat Up and between a Pokemon with Justified. Of course, the DCT and the Beat Up ban are mechanically different, particularly in speed of strategy and nature of interaction, but the premise is essentially the same: both involve one Pokemon bolstering the other in a manner only allowable by a doubles format. The Beat Up ban removed the specific enabling element, which is Beat Up, but this also had the property of the move being accessible by a wider pool Pokemon. In DCT, the proposed Commander ban would be still consistent despite the more limited accessibility as it would still hit the same thing: the specific enabling element; to the argument that Tatsugiri should be banned due to availability, refer back to the paragraphs above.
Memoric emphasises that this is an on-the-field-partners dynamic between specific Pokemon, but these have no bearing on which element should be targeted. If a combination of two Pokemon are a problem, one of the Pokemon should be banned, that much should be clear by now. What difference does the partners being on-the-field together or not make to that? Yes, singles obviously cannot have on-the-field-partners, but that isn't a reason to deviate in tiering approach. The same reasoning behind sticking to Pokemon bans applies.

Commander IS inseparable from Tatsugiri. It is the signature ability of Tatsugiri, no other Pokemon naturally has it, and you can't pass it around with the likes of Skill Swap or Trace either. Dondozo does not start with Commander, Dondozo does not gain the ability either, Tatsugiri provides Dondozo boosts with its ability Commander. Clearly the effectiveness of the combination does depend to some extent on Dondozo's own merit, but that doesn't change the fact that the ability still belongs to Tatsugiri and Tatsugiri alone. Other combinations have also depended on the viability of several Pokemon (naturally, since they're combinations), Jirachi relies heavily on its partner but we still banned that. Commander requiring a specific partner does not change the fact it is on a single Pokemon, whose own viability also affects the strength of the combination, so by policy it is clear that a Commander ban should not be on the table.

Beat Up being the element targeted in that situation is tangential to it being a doubles-specific interaction. There was a situation with multiple Beat Up users, and multiple Justified users, i.e. multiple Pokemon would have otherwise required a ban, so a non-Pokemon element ban became available. As I said earlier, if you think only Terrakion was banworthy, then that just means it should have been banned instead. Being a doubles-specific interaction does not change how the tiering approach to it in terms of banning a Pokemon or not should be.

PS: I personally do think Dark Void should be unbanned in SM DOU, but people have complained whenever it's been brought up before so I've never pushed the subject. Same with how GravSleep should be a Gravity ban instead (and doesn't need to exist in SM), and BW should remove the abomination which is Sleep "Clause" Mod and replace it with the move ban it's already been changed to in singles.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
I'm somewhat indifferent on whether Tatsu or Commander goes, but this seems a good a time as any to bring up two more historical cases that'd contradict a Tatsu ban. Are these ones incorrect in hindsight, too?

:eeveehide:
The first is Eevium Z, which was banned in early SM. Council felt that omniboosting then passing to something like Zard Y was unhealthy, especially paired with redirectors like Jirachi. There were only a few replays going around, and basically no tournament usage yet, so this was quite the snap decision. People like to treat z crystal bans like mega stones, but unlike megas nobody actually thinks of "Eevee with Evoboost" as a completely separate mon. Only Eevee can Evoboost, so why ban a part of the whole? Also, if Eevee didn't get baton pass, the boosts would be totally useless, so it's not even the z move in isolation that's causing the problem. I vaguely remember the justification for this one being "to not ban a popular mascot mon." Why can't we ban Commander, when we did the same with a boosting mechanic specific to a single mon?

:marshadow::fukyu::tapu-fini:
The next is SM/SS Swagger, which has a lot more history to it. After the accuracy nerf to 85% and confusion nerf to 33%, Swagger was no longer considered uncompetitive enough for luck reasons like in BW, so these were purely based on power level. To further confuse things, Swagger has two different interactions, one with Spectral Thief (Marsh), the other with Misty Terrain (Fini). In both gens, the former combo led to a really unhealthy state, where something like Swag Kingdra + Marsh was a reasonable option. Both times, Swag was banned first, followed by Marsh anyways cause Marsh, but Swag remained banned afterwards. It was never made legal again, because it "wasn't worth" the trouble of Swag + Fini.

I know my "Free Swag, Ban Fini" opinion is far in the minority here, but in a perfect world, if you ban Tatsu for its strength as an enabler, does the same not apply to Fini and Swagger? A conditional +2 to an ally is powerful, but not ridiculously so, considering Decorate Alcremie sees no play and Coaching is considered balanced. The problem is that Fini itself is too strong, and keeping Swag banned is artificially limiting its toolkit to avoid banning a popular mon.

If it's correct policy to ban Tatsu instead of Commander, what makes Eevee and Fini different?

I want to echo Yoda’s post as well as make my own.

Smogon Tiering philosophy is that if only one Pokémon gets a problematic element (move or ability) then we ban that Pokémon. This is done to not carve out parts of Pokémon that are specific to them, as this would otherwise cause debate every time a specific Pokémon gets a move or ability.

Imagine if we didn’t have this rule. In gen 7, we would have had to debate whether Marshadow was worthy to be banned if we just banned spectral thief instead. Same goes for Urshifu with Wicked Blow in gen 8. Now it goes for Tatsugiri in gen 9. We would have such a headache trying to test each of these Pokémon to see if they were still banworthy after their specific move/ability was removed. Often times we would end up banning their specific element, and then realizing that they are still problematic, and then banning the Pokémon itself, which is a mess.

The tiering philosophy is clear in my opinion. Tatsugiri is the only Pokémon that gets the ability Commander, and as such it should be banned (if so decided by council/player base). Dodonzo isn’t the banned party, because it doesn’t have an ability or move that is uncompetitive.

I cannot promise this tiering philosophy has been rigidly followed all the time, especially by other tiers, but I think it’s the right philosophy and we should do our best going forward to follow it, unless we want to have endless debates about what specifically should be banned, and instead can focus debates about whether something should be banned.

Ultimately we’re just trying our best to follow Smogon tiering philosophy, and we understand the reasoning behind it.

Regarding some examples in this thread:

Dark Void - Yes this isn’t correct and should probably focus on Darkrai. However the context is important. It was banned in gen 6 when both Smeargle and Darkrai got access to Dark Void, however in gen 7 Smeargle lost the access, and the ban was simply carried forward without much discussion/debate. Simply seems to have been missed.

Eeveeium-z: this is an item, and while it only works on a specific Pokémon, it is still slightly different from a tiering perspective (especially with regards to mega-stones).

Power Construct: it is my understanding that two Pokémon get the ability power construct (Zygarde-10% and Zygarde), now how much are those actually “separate Pokémon” is up for debate, but I can see the logic behind banning Power Construct instead.

Swagger: while Tapu Fini is what puts swagger over the top in gen 7, swagger was also banned in gen 6 for its disruptive elements. So while those elements were nerfed going into gen 7, they still existed, and then you added the possibility of swagger in misty terrain. It’s definitely muddy, but since multiple Pokémon learn swagger banning it seems appropriate.

Last edited:

Crunchman

Banned deucer.
I believe that Commander should be the element to go, but I also believe there is something to be said about the tiering framework in general.

In my view, tiering should seek to ban broken and uncompetitive elements of the game. Most of the time this is Pokémon, but in the case that an Ability, Move, Item, or any other element can be deemed broken and uncompetitive it too can be banned.

It is up to interpretation whether the current tiering policy follows this, or whether it specifically seeks to ban broken Pokémon and sees other elements as secondary, because people care more about Pokémon and less about other elements or simply because tiering Pokémon makes less of a primary impact on the sets of other Pokémon as Yoda mentioned.

In the majority of cases, a Pokémon is broken because of a combination of different elements in its toolset. Its stats, moves, abilities, typing and more may all contribute to it being deemed broken and cause it to get banned from a metagame. However, there are cases - such as is the case with Tatsugiri - where it is apparent that while the rest of its toolset may be sufficient, only one element is making it broken. Commander does not "push" Tatsugiri to brokenness, as it's not even close to broken without it. Commander/Dondozo is the sole reason Tatsugiri may be considered broken.

Yoda brings up as one of the core reasons for favoring tiering on Pokémon rather than Moves, Abilities, etc. is collateral damage, which is sound reasoning that points towards favoring tiering Pokémon, but it does not justify only tiering Pokémon. However, we have to briefly consider how we would determine a specific element is broken. We would reach the conclusion that the brokenness of the element does not really depend that much on its user, or maybe that it only depends a little bit. That is to say, a broad range of Pokémon, if given the move or ability etc., would become broken. Thus, we could reason that if we determine an element is truly broken, the collateral it inflicts is minimal. In fact, the collateral inflicted by banning the Pokémon with that element is probably greater.

So why, then, can we not just ban Commander? It has been brought up in this thread and various more informal channels of communication that in general, tiering policy calls for a Pokémon ban when only one Pokémon has access to a specific broken element. Not getting rid of signature characteristics of Pokémon is a salient point that supports this policy. However, I feel that "if something is broken or uncompetitive, ban it" is the simplest manifestation of the tiering policy possible and outweighs the former argument. Does this cause more debate and discussion? Yes, it does, and while making things easier to tier is important it is also important to make the right decision. It does not seem beyond Smogon's competitive population to have discussion on whether a Pokémon is broken/uncompetitive or whether the problem lies with a specific element. In much the same way as you would draw the line between whether a Pokémon is broken or whether its perfectly healthy, it's also possible to draw the line between whether a specific element is the sole culprit of it being broken, and it is possible to analyze whether its broken specifically because of its host Pokémon or whether it would be broken on almost anything.

Additionally, I feel that the policy of specifically needing multiple Pokémon to have that element is too arbitrary to be useful. While it has some significance in that you can more easily prove that an element is broken and not the Pokémon, it is also possible to prove that an element is broken without having other examples as I mentioned in the paragraph above. Furthermore, the same issues of determining whether an element is broken or if the Pokémon is broken still exist, even when there are multiple Pokémon with the element. I don't think that any of the examples of Jirachi, Marshadow or Urshifu-S are particularly applicable, because in those cases it is clear that even though the move may help push it over the edge, the Pokémon is broken due to its entire toolkit. While it might elevate many Pokémon if they learned it, the move is clearly not inherently broken.
To tie back in to the specific example of Commander and how it shows that this policy does not make sense, Commander is clearly the only broken aspect of Tatsugiri. Practically any Pokemon could be considered for tiering action if it had the ability:
1670796397816.png

This policy prevents any action from being taken on Commander. However, if Commander was given as an ability to Magikarp and Magikarp was deemed to be broken with it too, then suddenly Commander would be open to being banned and Tatsugiri would be unbanned. This is perhaps an unintended effect of the tiering policy but really just makes no sense for the purpose of "not banning signature features".

How I think cases should be addressed in the tiering policy is this:
- Ban the main problematic element (
Pokémon, Move, Ability, Item, Mechanic, etc.)
- If an element needs its host
Pokémon to have specific conditions for the Pokémon to be broken, ban the Pokémon. If the specific conditions are common, ban the element.

Obviously, this is very short. However, these to me reflect core principles of tiering and I would like to see these two ideas (the second one is an extension to the first) integrated to the tiering framework and applied to tiering cases.

Here are some examples as to how I would apply these rules:
- Commander - Commander is problematic because no conditions necessary for it to be broken, therefore ban Commander.
- Urshifu-S - Wicked Blow is not problematic because its user needs a lot of offense and good complementary coverage. Urshifu-S is the problem, due to its combined toolkit of stats, ability, and moves.
- Marshadow - Spectral Thief is not problematic because its user needs a lot of offense and good complementary coverage. Marshadow is the problem, due to its combined toolkit of stats, ability, typing, and moves.
- Shadow Tag - Shadow Tag is problematic because the only conditions necessary for it to be broken are a minimal amount of bulk. Gothorita and Gothita have in the past shown that they too can abuse Shadow Tag. However, even if Gothitelle was the only Pokémon with Shadow Tag, under this framework Shadow Tag would still be banned. It's possible to reason that the pins Shadow Tag creates are easily exploitable and Gothitelle's toolkit is not necessary for Shadow Tag to be strong.
- Jirachi - Follow Me is not problematic. Many other Pokémon are healthy, and a broken Follow Me user needs a lot of bulk and good typing. Jirachi is the problem due to its combined toolkit of stats, typing, and Follow Me.
- Beat Up/Justified - This is a more complex case. Justified requires its host Pokémon to have either good Speed, a Priority move, or very good bulk to be broken. The requirements are probably common enough that Justified could be considered a broken element, but it's somewhat on the edge. Meanwhile, Beat Up requires its host Pokémon to be relatively fast and that's about it; the requirements here are common enough that Beat Up is a broken element. Since its more clear that Beat Up is broken than it is that Justified is broken, Beat Up would be considered the broken element and get banned. Justified would subsequently become a non-broken element and see no tiering action.

One observation here is that aside from Commander, the results of all of these cases are consistent with past tiering action. That's because the change I am seeking is specific to cases where a "signature" element present only on a single Pokémon is broken.
I also think that this more precise guideline of what constitutes a broken element reduces collateral. If an element is broken by my rule it's likely to have minimal collateral.

PS. Also I think that while Commander is a DOU-specific mechanic, the philosophy of banning specific problematic elements, not necessarily Pokémon, is applicable to Singles tiers too. If there was a Pokémon that had an ability to set Rocks, Spikes, and Tspikes on entry I would argue the Ability is clearly what is broken and should be banned.

Last edited:

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
I was asked to reply to this, so I will as Tiering Leader.

I am in full support of the action taken by the Doubles Leaders & Council in banning Tatsugiri, over the other options. The decision they made was in line with our tiering policy, and in fact shows a hole in our current framework, in that there should be a section on doubles, which is something I want to work with the tier leaders & council on.

on commander
Banning commander goes against how we tier on the site. we aim to have a simplified ban list, and that means that banning a pokemon is always preferred to banning an ability / item / whatever else. Heres a thread from Zarel on the reasoning as to why we tier pokemon, and not the other elements of the game. The argument that Commander is the broken ability does not even hold any weight as a way to get around this policy, as Commander is only available on Tatsugiri, and there is no separating the pokemon from the ability in this case. We have no evidence Commander would be broken on other Pokemon (though it is not wrong to say it likely would be), but we tier based on data that we have, not hypothetical data that does not exist. So based on the data we currently have, there is no way to separate Commander from Tatsugiri, as there was no way to see what Commander would be like without it. There is no justifiable reason to ban commander here, and completely goes against our tiering framework & rules, and past decisions have no sway over that. Just because there were other frameworks being followed / the framework was applied inconsistently in the past is not a reason to keep doing it in the future. I do not mind if Doubles Tier Leaders / Council / Old Gen playerbases want to go back and take a look at stuff like SM Dark Void to make it more in line with our framework, but it is not a reason to ban Commander.

on dondozo
@Yoda2798s post actually covers pretty much everything I would want to say as to why Doubles tiered Tatsugiri over Dondozo, and pretty much all his reasoning as to why combinations in Doubles are tiered differently. I do not have much more to add aside from that, as his post pretty much covers exactly what I would say. This is mainly why I do want to change the Framework to have a section on Doubles, to avoid problems like this in the future and also make it easier to find tiering guidelines for Doubles in the future.

so yeah, i didnt make a post here for a while because i did not feel i had a lot to offer since i would just want to echo yodas post. ill work on updating the framework w/ the tls, and another suggestion someone gave me while discussing this thread was having a tiering "faq" that covered reasoning / tiering philosophy without having to go through the framework, as well as simplifying it a bit.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
on commander
Banning commander goes against how we tier on the site. we aim to have a simplified ban list, and that means that banning a pokemon is always preferred to banning an ability / item / whatever else.

This is all fine and dandy for singles but this is for doubles. Why on earth would we want to ban a Pokemon outright when it has a viable ability that it can also use other than a lazy reasoning such as "simplified ban list." It's one interaction that's the cause of the problem. Why not ban the interaction and let a Pokemon who can operate without it be free?

there is no way to separate Commander from Tatsugiri
This makes no fucking sense

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I don't know if this point has been made in this specific way previously in this thread, so at risk of repeating what someone has said, here goes:

I think "Commander is inseparable from Tatsugiri" is a weak argument; the Commander interaction is just as inseparable from Dondozo as it is from Tatsugiri. The only thing that supposedly ties it closer to Tatsugiri than to Dondozo is a purely semantic distinction. We are tiering a problematic interaction, not a problematic word.

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The decision they made was in line with our tiering policy, and in fact shows a hole in our current framework, in that there should be a section on doubles, which is something I want to work with the tier leaders & council on.
Just wanted to say that this sounds like an encouraging development, regardless of whatever happens with Tatsuguri and Dondozo :)

Rest of this post is me complaining and being annoying about this ban, but please don't feel like I don't appreciate the prospect of including doubles more formally in the framework...

Ok so, I can only speak for myself here. I don't really care if Tatsuguri is freed or not, it's just a bit grating to see...for a lack of better words, a lack of common sense in how tiering policy was interpreted and utilized to solve what you yourself acknowledge was a unique situation that exposed holes in the current framework.

I understand that tiering policy exists for a good reason, and also understand wanting to always follow it as much as possible. But banning Tatsuguri despite all the credible points made earlier in this thread seems more like just being a "yes man" to tiering policy rather than believing that current tiering policy is serving its purpose in this situation.

The argument that Commander is the broken ability does not even hold any weight as a way to get around this policy, as Commander is only available on Tatsugiri, and there is no separating the pokemon from the ability in this case.
Fangame10 and I both made the point that Tatsugiri technically has three different forms that aren't just cosmetic but actually have big implications on how Commander and Dondozo are utilized. If you care to read the full argument, here's my post about the matter.

We have no evidence Commander would be broken on other Pokemon (though it is not wrong to say it likely would be), but we tier based on data that we have, not hypothetical data that does not exist. So based on the data we currently have, there is no way to separate Commander from Tatsugiri, as there was no way to see what Commander would be like without it.
This is what I mean when I say that common sense just doesn't seem to be being used for this matter, even if everything you're saying is technically correct.

The current data we have is that:
  • Dondozo ends up being problematic when it is allowed to omniboost to +2 in every stat it has
  • The only way Dondozo can achieve a +2 boost is if its partner has the ability Commander
  • The only Pokemon that currently has Commander is Tatsugiri
  • Tatsuguri is removed from the battlefield while Commander is activated; it cannot move and cannot be targeted by opposing moves
  • Tatsuguri is never a problematic Pokemon when used on its own. At best Tatsuguri is to Dondozo what Pelipper is to rain; a decidedly mediocre and forgettable Pokemon that is necessary to include on a team to enable a strong archetype or strategy
The evidence that Commander would be broken on other Pokemon therefore does exist, because we have already isolated Dondozo as the Pokemon that becomes problematic when Commander activates, and nothing about this would change if another Pokemon gained access to Commander. We don't need to realize hypothetical data about Magikarp gaining access to Commander, for example, to logically conclude that Dondozo would still be problematic with an omniboost even if its partner was a Pokemon worse than Tatsuguri. If you watch any DOU game where Commander was utilized, you will see that Tatsuguri at best gets to fire off one Draco Meteor or Hydro Pump in a game before getting KO'd because of how frail it is. Tatsuguri's presence is insignificant to borderline meaningless in most observable replays, but being able to omniboost Dondozo makes Tatsuguri worth running for that reason alone.

There is no way to separate Commander from Tatsugiri, as there was no way to see what Commander would be like without it.
This is a cheeky point, not super serious, but technically I'm sure Pokemon Showdown could let us simulate Commander on other Pokemon if we really wanted to :P But obviously I know you meant within the current ruleset that defines SV DOU

on dondozo
Nobody is saying to ban Dondozo.

Thanks for reading!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)