Tournament OMPL X - FINALS [Won by The Temper Tyrantrums!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

UT

Roaring 20s, tossing pennies in the pool
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead

Tiebreaker
In the event of two teams being tied for a spot in the finals based on points and win differential, or a tie in the final round itself, we will have a tiebreaker round(s).​

Tiebreaker Rules: One metagame will be picked by each manager, and each manager will also pick one metagame to strike. Additionally, each manager will submit a backup meta to strike in case their choice is the same as the opposing team's pick. The third format will be determined at random by the hosts from the remaining unpicked, unstruck metagames. In the event that the picks and strikes from each manager are the same, the hosts will determine both the second and third format at random based on the remaining options. All three metagames must be unique, so no format can be picked twice.​

Matchups

:ponyta: The Malding Mavericks (Morgan and IBM) - [0][2] - The Temper Tyrantrums (OM and drampa's grandpa) :tyrantrum:
SS Almost Any Ability: luisin vs Potatochan
SS Anything Goes: crying vs WSun1
SS STABmons: Byleth vs Finchinator

Deadline:
10:00 PM (GMT -4) on June 26th, 2022
SS Almost Any Ability: luisin vs Potatochan
SS Anything Goes: crying vs WSun1
SS STABmons: Byleth vs Finchinator

Last edited by a moderator:

a loser

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
a loser's OMPL BH Review: The Finals
quojova vs Nihilslave
:Barraskewda::Melmetal::Ho-Oh::Groudon::Regigigas::Xerneas-Neutral: vs :Xerneas-Neutral::Regigigas::Eternatus::Chansey::Ho-Oh::Giratina:
I'll go out on a limb and say quojova's fish is not part of the trendy drum spam team but rather the more viable, balanced option of Banded PrimSea. If so, that mon is three for three so far but will potentially have a tough time dealing with Etern, Imposter, Tina, and perhaps Ho-Oh. Nihilslave's team looks pretty safe and sturdy. Having no Steel-types is rare, but Etern and Ho-Oh are staples on teams lacking Steels and might make Groudon easier to deal with.

Nihilslave leads with Imposter to scout quojova's DesoLand Ho-Oh with a moveset of V-create / Rocks / Nuzzle / recovery, which makes it pretty clear that Ho-Oh is Imposter-proofing the fish. But without a Ground-type, this means Nihilslave must decide to let Imposter get nuzzled or switch out, and he sends in Giratina to take the para. Giratina proceeds to Nuzzle right back, but catches Xerneas switching in, much to quojova's dismay I'd imagine. Despite Nuzzle being the only move used so far, quojova doubles out here to bring in Regigigas who has its Toxic Orb activated. Giratina is already looking to be problematic for quojova, chipping his pivots with Rocky Helmet and gaining momentum with Teleport to help scout with Imposter. Groudon is revealed to be Fur Coat with trapping, ability removal, and Volt Switch and Nihilslave switches his Regigigas in to face it, meaning it must have some pivot move or even Taunt. This leads to the fish making its first appearance and we promptly learn it is running Rend / Flip Turn / Knock Off / Glance with PrimSea to cap off the Ho-Oh / Imposter interaction. Imposter Chansey continues to get in and scout pretty much for free, taking only a little chip from Flip Turn to show us Gigas is running Spikes and Glance as well.
A double switch on Nihilslave's part leads to his Xern facing quojova's PH Gigas after taking a hit from Glance on the switch. It takes another hit from Facade, chipping it hard but shows off Specs Boomburst damage to hit Gigas for 90% in return. quojova smartly goes for Glance on the following turn to catch Tina and this forces Nihilslave to bring in his own Gigas. In range of a KO from Facade, quojova is forced to bring in FC Don and Nihilslave is able to get a layer of Spikes up to chip the fish. The fish removes Chansey's Eviolite and Chansey stays in to use Knock Off as well and gets further chipped by Melmetal's Rocky Helmet to put it around half its health. This leads to an interesting turn where a healthy PH Gigas takes on the DesoLand Ho-Oh and drops to V-create from 95% after denting it with Facade. Specs Xern is able to come back in though and with Ho-Oh barely hanging on quojova is forced to bring in Prankster Melmetal. Melm wastes some Boomburst PP until finally folding to a critical hit, which allows the fish to get back in. It finally clicks Rend this time, taking out Giratina, and does more than half to Etern on the next turn but has that nulled by Strength Sap.
Etern keeps clicking Sap and catches Don coming in, who proceeds to die after being hit with Dragon Energy.
With few options left to deal with a healthy Eternatus, quojova has to send out a paralyzed Xerneas to spam Boomburst. It hits Ho-Oh on the switch, doing little damage, while Ho-Oh finally reveals some moves hitting Xern back with Glacial Lance followed by Fire Lash. Predicting the fish to come in, Nihilslave's Ho-Oh goes for Glance again to get more chip before sacking Ho-Oh to the fish. This leads to Imposter coming in on Xerneas, revealing E-Speed along with Boomburst, which allows Nihilslave to clean up quojova's weakened team for the win.

Imposter Chansey's early scouting and ability to stay healthy throughout the match was a big factor in Nihilslave's victory. Things were looking pretty even until about halfway through the battle but it actually started going downhill for quojova when his Ho-Oh took so much damage in order to take out Regigigas, as it left his only remaining Xern check unable to perform. Losing the +SpD Melmetal to a crit definitely sped up the process, but it would have lost all its recovery PP in order to fully stall out Boomburst. Nihilslave definitely had a better matchup considering Etern and Giratina could punish the fish in different ways. Perhaps if quojova had gotten some Spikes up, his pivots could have allowed for more optimal breaking opportunities for the fish.

Metagame Observations
Regigigas led the way in usage during the playoffs / finals with seven uses. This isn't too surprising as Gigas has been second overall in usage behind Xern but is especially not surprising considering that TTTech played in half the games this time. Right behind Gigas was Xerneas with five uses, but surprisingly Ho-Oh and Zyg-C also got five uses to bump up their overall usage considerably in the last group of games. Melmetal continued its steady usage, actually boosting it into the top 10 in usage overall for the tournament. The fish wasn't able to keep up its short run of securing victories this time around, being on the losing side of its last two appearances.
The finals game matched up with the average turns of the playoffs, coming in at only 42 turns. This was helped out by both sides packing strong breakers who traded blows for most of the game. For the tour, BH games lasted about 86 turns each time. This is about as expected in a metagame like BH, even though the games in the first four weeks of the season were considerably longer than those in the last four (dropping from 106 turns to 65 turns).
Nuzzle, and paralysis in general, was on full display for the entire tour much to many viewer's and player's dismay. It definitely helped lead to a number of haxy games and some disappointing results for some. I'd say there were at least six games where the full paras had mid to major impact on the end results but it isn't so cut-and-dry to say the results would have flipped with fewer or no full paras. Overall, I was pretty pleased with the nature of the games this season and think the metagame is in a decent place, but could still potentially use some tweaks to make it more optimal.

It has been fun making these reviews again and I hope some of you enjoyed reading them. Good luck to those in the tiebreak, I'm thinking the horses will pull this one out!

Will

about you
is an official Team Rater
OMPL Champion
won gg
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8anythinggoes-634582

i brought it home team! ggs to the mavericks. despite all the odds/power rankings that weighed against you, you guys defied all the odds and brought it together to have an incredible season.

thank you a million to all my lovely teammates for cheering me on and having so much faith into me, and to my managers for drafting me and creating such a great team environment. i'm beyond glad that i was able to turn things around and end with a 3-0 in playoffs after a rough regular season.

special shout outs to baconeatinassassin Icemaster Fc Dr. Phd. BJ lotiasite for helping me prep ag, and omicorio for having a little extra faith in me :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)