NU Team Study [Week 2: Soulgazer]

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEVERUSED TEAM STUDY

Approved by Raseri - Stolen from the RU one

Welcome to Team Study. The goal of this project is to help unite the community while improving the overall quality of the player-base by studying the art of teambuilding at the highest level.

• What is this for?
This project is made in response to an assortment of issues plaguing the community (stolen from Melee mewtwo). There is a division between the young general NeverUsed community and the experienced veterans that have supported and explored the tier more than any other. The lack of communication and interaction between the two result in the knowledge remaining with the knowledgeable and the newcomers left to grope in the dark. Hopefully, igniting intelligent discussion between the two sides through the complexities of advanced teambuilding will help to bring the community together and advance it towards one that is active and enjoyable.

• How does it work?
Each week (more or less) there will be a high-level team that will be displayed for the community as a whole to discuss. The aim of this discussion will be to analyze the team by identifying roles and explaining their purpose, investigating specific movesets and Pokemon choices, strong points of the team, flaws it may have and even questions concerning unusual or confusing aspects. Essentially, the team will serve as a model to learn from and an example to refer to. Once the discussion is over, the teambuilder will post explaining his decisions and answering any questions or false ideas concerning them.

• What do I get out of it?
The most polite and intelligent poster that shows an interest and enthusiasm will be rewarded at the end of each week. "Winning" multiple times will lead to greater advantages. Winner will be choose by team creator and myself. Some rewards may be:

• Winning two/three weeks will get you voice on #neverused IRC (Even if you don't have any status yet I strongly encourage you guys to come check it out.)
  • Good posting can result in nominations for a Ladybug or Community Contributor badge depending on your work in the NU subforum.
  • A good look at current tournament teams and trends.
  • Insight on how teams are built and more knowledge of the NU Metagame.
  • There may be another prize or so, but it's still not worked out yet. Don't let this discourage you, however.
  • A good, intelligent thread!

Last edited:
This week's team is provided by Soulgazer.
Thanks for the team!

Week 1: FLCL

Musharna @ Leftovers

Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
- Baton Pass

Probopass @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Earth Power
- Power Gem

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Night Slash
- Quick Attack

Jynx @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Trick
- Lovely Kiss

Eelektross @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

Scolipede @ Life Orb
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail
- Pursuit
Week 2: Soulgazer

Metang @ Eviolite
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SDef / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Toxic

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SAtk / 160 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Scolipede @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Toxic Spikes

Eelektross @ Leftovers
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

Jynx (F) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Lovely Kiss
- Trick

Seismitoad @ Choice Specs
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 224 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Wave

Last edited:
Alright, sounds fun.

I guess the first thing that jumps out at me would be the synergy between Scarf Jynx and Offensive Probo. A lot of popular switch-ins to Jynx are Steel type (notably, metang), and as such can be trapped and eliminated by Probopass, clearing the way for Jynx. To that end, Air Balloon can protect Probo from any errant Earthquakes while it finishes off the opponent's mon. Personally, I always seem to encounter people running Bullet Punch over EQ, but it's good to be prepared.

Other than that, Eelektross seems to be an excellent partner for both Jynx and Zangoose, providing a slow volt switch for Zangoose to activate its status orb, and giving both of them the free switch they need to terrorize the opponent's team. Also, it's the only ground resist on the team bar Probo's Air Balloon, which is always good.

Musharna's ability to switch in on the likes of Sawk is invaluable, since he would otherwise be able to manhandle the team- Scolipede, the only other fighting resist, is dropped by EQ after a single switch into rocks. In addition, having taken a hit, Baton Pass gives her the same utility as Eel as far as supporting the teams main sweepers. Thunder wave can also help remedy Zangoose's not-quite-exemplary speed, and can allow her to escape her main counter, Skuntank.

I am curious about Scolipede's set, though. In particular, the choice of Toxic Spikes over Spikes makes little sense to me. I'd be curious to hear what others think of it.

Anyways, it seems like a solid team. I'd certainly take pause, seeing it in Team Preview. I might write more later, but it's 2:30 where I live, and I really need to go to sleep.

Last edited:
What immediately stood out to me on this team was volt switch on Probopass and Eelektross and baton pass on Musharna. While Jynx is enough of a threat to have even been suspect tested in NU, one of it's main cons is the fact that there's not a lot of things it can switch into. That slow volt switch or baton pass coming from Probo, Eel, or Mushy patches up that con pretty well because once Jynx safely comes in, especially scarf Jynx, there's not much in the meta that forces it back out. In terms of who brings in Jynx the most safely, Probopass would have to be it for the reasons Othesemo mention above. There's just great synergy between the two.

Then there's Zangoose who also plays kinda similarly to Jynx in that they're both troublesome to get in, but can proceed to wreck the other team once in. When I've used Zangoose, getting toxic boost activated was kinda of pain sometimes because of how frail he is; but with the slow volt switches and baton pass on this team, getting that boost shouldn't be much of a problem. Zangoose's perfect neutral coverage is also much appreciated on this team as well.

I don't have much to say on Scolipede because it seems pretty standard to me other than being more offensive then most I've seen.

Overall, this team supports its main offensive mons really well, doing everything from getting rid of many of their checks, to giving them safer switch-ins than usual. The only threat that jumps out to me is scarf Charizard because of how his stab and coverage can 2HKO most of the team and how he out speeds even Jynx, but with stealth rocks up and the offensive pressure that this team can keep up, it shouldn't be too big of a threat. I might try this team out if that's okay, and get a little experience with it to go a little more in depth with future analyses of it. I'm pretty new to Smogon, so I apologize if I didn't type up the best analysis, but this was really fun to type and talk about. I can't wait for the next NU Team Study!

Not much to say other than what has already been mentioned by the two thorough Post above, other than to address the decision to use Toxic Spikes > Spikes.

Other than wearing down Walls that would otherwise be tough to take down, I don't quite understand how a Team based around Sweepers in Zangoose and Jynx that are designed to OHKO would benefit from having to wait a Turn to rack up Hazard Damage rather than doing so directly, punishing Switch-Ins.

I'm relatively new to the Metagame, and would love if this decision could be explained. But one thing I've learned is that in an Offensive Metagame like NU, Hazards such as SRs and Spikes are keys to winning.

Personally, I'd say Spikes would benefit the Team more.

Enoch said:
Other than wearing down Walls that would otherwise be tough to take down
You've said it yourself. Toxic Spikes are much more beneficial and rewarding than Spikes in my opinion, because they can also shut down stuff that can threaten this team such as Rain Offense. Oh and FLCL uses Toxic Spikes on every single of his teams lol.

I think the main idea FLCL had when building this team was weakening the opponent's walls and defensive mons to finish up with a Zangoose / Jynx sweep. This is further helped by Probopass, who can eliminate Steel-types, mostly Metang, with the help of Magnet Pull and Earth Power.

There is an obvious core he tried to build around was Probopass + Jynx + Zangoose, which revolves around Probopass eliminating Steels so Jynx and Zangoose can wreck havoc.

The strong points of this team is how it easily handles top threats in this tier (Jynx, Sawk, etc). It has really great synergy.

The weak points of this team are well... I think we could say there's a Sunny Day team weakness, as there are no Fire-resists on the team, and the only mon who can take them are Probopass. Toxic Spikes have nothing on Sun because they usually run Victreebel to absorb them.

FLCL uses a very underrated threat, Probopass, and a threat that has fallen from favor, Zangoose, to surprise the opponent. His Probopass set can surprise the opponent and is very effective.

That should be it.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
VS most offensive teams, a single layer of Toxic Spikes is sometimes more valuable than a layer of regular Spikes, and here's why:

Many offensive teams in today's metagame forgo a spinner (like the one posted here!). A single layer of Spikes is usually ignored and used as an opportunity to regain lost momentum. However, a lot of offensive teams run a Poison-type to absorb Toxic Spikes, because there are very few grounded offensive threats that don't mind being Poisoned (Gurdurr, Zangoose, and Ursaring are about it since I don't consider Guts Flareon a threat LOL). By putting down a layer of Toxic Spikes, you force your opponent to make tough choices about what switches they're going to make. If they value the lifespan of their sweepers, then they probably won't be switching in say, Carracosta to get a free Smash on your Scolipede. They'll either switch in their Poison-type immediately to absorb them (which you can punish with a double switch to Musharna or Probopass to then build momentum), or switch in a Flying-type to avoid them temporarily (which you can again punish with a double switch).

This isn't to say you should forgo Spikes on Scolipede or that Spikes aren't as good as Toxic Spikes. All I'm saying here is that a single layer of Toxic Spikes can force your opponent to play into your hand, instead of letting them execute their gameplan.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
you guys basically nailed it on the slow volt switch/baton pass part since the main idea was the team was to sweep with zangoose. about toxic spikes, i have it there because i usually use scolipede as an all-out attacker and only use it if the opponent has no poison-types since they can be really helpful when it comes to securing kills and preventing stuff from protect stalling zangoose.

(finally) time for a new team!
This time we're looking at Soulgazer's team.

Metang @ Eviolite
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 80 SDef / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Toxic

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SAtk / 160 Spd
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Scolipede @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Toxic Spikes

Eelektross @ Leftovers
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

Jynx (F) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Lovely Kiss
- Trick

Seismitoad @ Choice Specs
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 224 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot
- Sludge Wave

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ugh sersly wud u people stop using Sludge Wave over Sludge Bomb on Seismitoad already smh.

Anyway, the first thing I really noticed was the use of Toxic Spikes over Spikes on Scolipede, similar to FLCL's team, but then there's something else. I noticed almost everything on Soulgazer's team seems to be tailored to either getting rid of opposing Poison-types or keeping T-Spikes on the field: Metang is Steel-type, Missy spinblocks, Pede has Earthquake, Eel destroys stall, etc. So one of the ideas of this team definitely seems to be to abuse Toxic Spikes at maximum potential. There's also Eel's slow Volt Switch, which also helps in forcing switches and racking up residual damage.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Dat Blast was spot on with the use of Toxic Spikes, but there's a little bit more story behind the team. The main idea behind this team is Scarf Jynx cleaning late game. This Misdreavus set might seem strange at first glance, but it was the glue of my team, as I needed something which could take on Sawk AND lure Skuntank while being able to spinblock and keeping the offensive pressure. As you can probably see everything can handle Dark/Steel types on this team and punch holes into the rest, making Jynx even more effective. Eelektross is here to weaken/KO bulky Waters and provides me with a slow Volt Switch, which is amazing to bring Jynx in safely, while Seismitoad checks stuff like Samurott which can be a pain to the team (Jynx can't OHKO and Hydro Pump does a ton to everything else). Choice Spec might be gimmicky, but it actually works for me with this team as I need as much power as possible to weaken the opponent's team.

#threadkiller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)