SS NU NU Team - Looking for Improvement

Hello! This is one my first teams and since I'm not exactly good at teambuilding I decided to creat this post looking for advice so I could improve this team.

Tbh, the idea for the team was mainly because I wanted to use Dubwool and while partners for it to remove Hazards also found out that Hitmonchan (seems) amazing for this role. So, without further ado, here's team.

Hitmonchan (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 160 HP / 220 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch
- Rapid Spin

As I said earlier, Hitmonchan for me seems like the best choice for a Spinner in NU. Most of its competition are NFE pokemon, but the two other spinner of choice I have seen are Mr. Mime-G and Hitmontop. The former is obligated to run Heavy-Duty Boots due to its weakness to SR and it doesn't offer any defensive niche for the team, while the latter has no way of dealing with Ghost-types unless it goes with an offensive set using Technician. Hitmonchan solves both of these problems with his nice Attack stat and special bulk, argumented by Assault Vest, which compliments well with the physical tank that is Dubwool. Drain Punch is boosted by Iron Fist and provides a form recovery. Mach Punch it's used for priority. Ice Punch it's my choice for coverage since it nails two prominents Ghosts in Golurk and Gourgeist, and can 2HKO Haunter. And of course, Rapid Spin it's to remove hazards to prevent the team from getting worn down.
The EVs allow him to survive a Draco Meteor from Modest Choice Specs Drampa from full health and take the second one with the recovered HP from Drain Punch (if it doesn't outright KO Drampa). Speed is enough to outspeed neutral speed base 60.

Dubwool (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Def / 152 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Body Press
- Cotton Guard
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave

The star of the team and the main reason I even building it. Imo, Dubwool is an amazing physical tank. Fluffy halving the damage from contact moves + Cotton Guard boosting its defenses to absurd levels is kind of ridiculous. Body Press and Cotton Guard are the bread and butter of Dubwool, so no much to explain there. The other moves however, need some explaining. Substitute protects Dubwool from status, since it has no way of healing from it apart from the unreliable Rest, and also allows him to stay on special attackers that might switch on him. And after a Cotton Guard that Substitute could even survive some physical attacks aswell. Finally, Thunder Wave is there for fast special attackers and to deal with Haunter, although it's mostly filler, since Dubwool's movepool it's really shallow, and normal-type coverage is redundant for a Pokemon that already gets walled by Ghost-types and because Payback doesn't even KO Haunter.
The EVs maximize Defense for Body Press damage, while in conjuntion with the HP investment allows him to evade the 2HKO from Adamant Rhydon, and the Speed it's to outspeed Adamant Kingler.

Qwilfish (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Scald
- Destiny Bond

Since I decided to use Rapin Spin over Defog to remove hazards, a spikes setter seemed like a logical choice. I choosed Qwilfish because of its typing: Poison-type means that it would absorb toxic spikes for the team and resist Fairy for Sneasel and Hitmonchan, and alongside its Water typing it resists both of Dubwool's weaknesses in Fire and Fighting. Intimidate also helps Hitmonchan and the rest to better switch into physical attackers. Scald is STAB and has a chance of burning. Taunt shut dows slower Pokemon and prevents from setting up hazards, inflict status condition or even healing. It also stops Defog. Finally, Destiny Bond it's used to take down a slower pokemon once Qwilfish has done its job.

Golurk @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch

Golurk here serves to roles: that of a Stealth Rocks setter and a spinblocker. It also comes with the benefict of blocking Volt Switch aswell. It can also check some Fighting-types, although if it loses its Colbur Berry it becomes vulnerable to Dark-type coverage. Speaking of which, the Colbur Berry it used for that and to check Skuntank and Toxicroak. Earthquake and Shadow Punch are STABs and Ice Punch is the choosen coverage move to hit Flying- and Grass-types, and it's boosted by Iron Fist.
For the EVs, attack and spees are maximized to get the best out of Golurk's nice attack stat.

Sneasel (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Throat Chop

With a relatively small amount of Dark-types to choose from in NU, Sneasel was the choice for the role of Ghostbuster. This helps because it allows Hitmonchan to freely spin and prevent Dubwool from getting completely walled. Knock Off is STAB, has nice power and it brings great utility in removing items. Icicle Crash is Sneasel's strongest Ice-STAB and it hits Dark-resistant pokemon really hard. Ice Shard it's priority to KO weakened faster mons. Throat Chop is mostly filler, but it's Sneasel's best Dark-STAB against Pokemon that already had their item removed.
I choosed an Adamant nature over Jolly because Sneasel's main is to kill Ghosts and the fastest unboosted Ghost is Haunter with 95 base speed, and Sneasel benefits with the extra power.

Vikavolt (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Roost

And finally, Vikavolt. Maybe not the best choice and a member that I added last minute to the team. Its function is that of a slow pivot with Volt Switch. Bug Buzz is Vikavolt's most powerful move, dealing good damage on neutral targets and having usable neutral coverage. Volt Switch has reasonable power and lets Vikavolt bring its teammates in safely when used, as well as being Vikavolt's main Electric-type STAB move. Energy Ball hits most Pokemon for heavy damage, OHKOing Rhydon after Stealth Rock. Roost is used to heal Vikavolt up, helping to mitigate damage taken from Stealth Rock and chip damage from enemy attacks.
EVs maximizes Special Attack, speed is to outrun uninvested base 60s and the rest it's dumped into HP.

Well that's the team I made. I played a fought matches and was lucky enough to win, but I'll frank I say that it has a mayor weakness in a tendency to get worn down quickly, relying on only one spinner and having no way of dealing with status.
So I'm more that open to suggestions to improve this team!

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Hey buddy, this team looks pretty cool and balanced too. The only flaws I see with it are some movesets and some spreads, the team composition looks solid and it seems fun to use. Here are some changes I would make to the team that might work out better.

1583181723777.png
Heavy Duty Boots --> Assault Vest With the great amount of Vikavolts carrying Sticky Web and spikers/tspikers in the tier such as Garbodor and Cofagrigus, running Assault Vest makes Hitmonchan extremely exposed to being whittled by hazards. HDB prevents this residual damage while also making it a more reliable spinner.

Throat Chop --> Ice Punch Cofagrigus running around in the tier makes Throat Chop a must on Hitmonchan since it needs to be able to hit this ghost type pokemon effectively. This move also hits the other ghost type pokemon you mentioned before while also OHKOing Haunter.

EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe --> Current EV spread This EV spread lets Hitmonchan outspeed positive base 60s which is what Abomasnow runs these days and something you really struggle to deal with. It also maximizes its attack letting it 3HKO Cofagrigus after Rocks.

1583182951256.png
Payback --> Thunder Wave Even tho you mention payback doesnt OHKO Haunter, this move lets you hit Ghost types which is something huge for dubwool. This lets you pressure pokemon like Gourgeist-Small and Haunter and if you are behind a sub you force the 2HKO against these mons.

1583183180853.png
Toxic Spikes --> Destiny Bond Toxic Spikes paired with Dubwool and Substitute is lethal. This lets it whittle pokemon like Cofagrigus and beat it 1v1 while also chipping other pokemon.

1583183610073.png
Brick Break --> Throat Chop Brick Break is a cool move that lets Sneasel break Aurora Veil from Abomasnow while also hitting for Super Effective damage. It also hits Steel Type pokemon for supereffective damage which is pretty nice since it lets it do a ton of damage to Klingklang and Perrserker. (And its not like you are gonna click Throat Chop when you are running Knock Off)

1583183999113.png
Heavy Duty Boots --> Leftovers Although you lose some passive recovery, HDB negates the Stealth Rock damage Vikavolt can take. This makes it easier to check Fighting type pokemon and also losing the pressure to Roost after switching in.

Hope this helped you out and good luck with the team!

Hitmonchan (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Throat Chop
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Sneasel @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brick Break
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash

Dubwool (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Def / 152 Spe
Bold Nature
- Body Press
- Cotton Guard
- Substitute
- Payback

Qwilfish (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes

Golurk @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Ice Punch

Vikavolt (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Bug Buzz
- Energy Ball
- Roost

Last edited:
Thanks for input!

Although I wanted to ask if it is a good idea to let Hitmonchan take on Cofagrigus running the risk of getting burn

Last edited:

Abejas

Yo where Ken at
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Thanks for input!

Although I wanted to ask if it is a good idea to let Hitmonchan take on Cofagrigus running the risk of getting burn
Throat Chop prevents Cofag from coming in for free. Once you hit it when it switches in, you should usually switch into another mon to not get burned such as Vikavolt. Its not a good idea for Hitmonchan to get burned since it becomes pretty much useless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)