Metagame np: USUM DOU Stage 5 - Heads Will Roll - Marshadow Remains Banned

Eisenherz

επέκεινα της ουσίας
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
A lot of my impressions have already been worded better than I could have done it myself in some of the previous posts, but I'd still like to share the thoughts I got from laddering in the last week.

My first impression were that, on paper, Marshadow seems pretty busted.
- Perfect STAB combination, along with good moves to properly take advantage of it in CC and Spectral Thief;
- A speed tier that outspeeds the vast majority of the metagame barring Koko and glass cannons such as Deoxys and Pheromosa;
- A high (though not over-the-top) attack stat;
- Good natural bulk, which allows it to tank a reasonable list of super effective moves (something most Pokémon with the features listed above don't have);
- Technician with the movepool to take advantage of it (Sneak, HP Ice, Rock Tomb);
- Spectral Thief, a move that steals stat boosts and takes them into account before the attack takes place;
- A powerful signature Z-move;
- Immunity to Fake Out.

Focusing on any couple of these really doesn't make it seem busted, because it's all manageable stuff. Just remove some of its bulk, and I doubt it would be nearly as controversial, since it would be one glass cannon among others (albeit a good one, probably). Or remove Spectral Thief's secondary effect, and it's instantly a lot less restrictive in both teambuilding and play. It's only when considering all of these features together that Marshadow feels truly busted, on paper at least. It's fairly easy to isolate a few of them and argue that these problems are manageable, because they are, but for such a high number of great things about Marshadow, the list of its shortcomings is pretty short (none stand out to me actually).

But that's on paper, and my opinion could very well have been swayed by practice, which I think is a lot more important for such decisions.

The team I got my reqs with was a standard-ish team with double Intimidate, on which I slapped a Z-move Marshadow (one of Marshadow's strongest points, imo, is that is can fit with so many teams without disturbing the synergy of the rest of the team, its typing makes it super easy to just slap on as a 6th if you want some offence from that spot). In addition to double Intimidate, I also had Tapu Fini as a check to opposing Marshadows. Here are some thoughts I gathered during those sessions:

- Facing other Marshadows was really not so bad. It basically never came down to the mirror. Double Intimidate is really strong against it, despite the fact it can KO Lando and Incineroar. In that matter, I found it similar to playing around other glass cannons; unless your opponent makes a risky prediction, you don't just let them grab that KO for free. So with a more defensive/balanced team, I didn't really have issues facing Marshadow, and it didn't feel busted. Keep in mind, though, that this was the ladder, so not all games were good. Some people just threw away their Marshadow as a lead, and gained very little from it, so that's pretty telling (either of their skill, or their expectations I guess).
- My own Marshadow, on the other hand, felt pretty amazing. It cleaned up the majority of my games, and I found that having a lot of pivoting options (like Incineroar) to bring it in safely worked really well. I was able to chip their main bulky answer (usually Tapu Fini), put it in range of SS7SS, and then clean up.
- I clearly remember several times where I was about to fire off a very obvious Spectral Thief into a slot, looked at their roster to see what their switch-in was, and realized there was none. Other than the obvious Incineroar, most of the meta has a really hard time switching well into that move. The fact this situation kept repeatedly happening raised a red flag for me, this is not something I'm used to having on any of my teams, and it did feel a bit OP at times.
- Very anecdotal, but I faced a TR team with Lurantis, my opponent played well and got the advantage, their Lurantis ran through most of my team, but I was able to stall out TR and put myself in a situation where I denied a new TR and had Marshadow in front of Lurantis. Obviously, I stole all the boosts and reverse-swept from there. The reason I'm sharing this particular exchange is because it felt super unfair and undeserved. They played better, and without Spectral Thief, this Lurantis would have finished off my team easily, TR or not. One could say they had to be careful not to set up with Lurantis until Marshadow was gone, but if I'm preserving Marshadow anyway and Lurantis can run through my team, it's kind of stupid not to use that tool. I've seen people say that Spectral Thief only really is useful to steal Fini's Calm Minds or a Seed boost, but I think it's actually very oppressive for other forms of more "unconventional" setup, such as Lurantis, and that this should be taken into account when evaluating its impact.

So my impression from getting reqs with that team were that Marshadow is definitely manageable for teams revolving around defensive play, because its damage output can be limited pretty quickly. I saw that some people expect Marshadow to make the tier more offensively-oriented, but I think having it around actually has the opposite effect and encourages double Intimidate and bulk. In particular, as both an Intimidator and a Spectral Thief switch-in, I think Incineroar is just as good, if not better, in such meta; the threat of Close Combat can be played around with a fat team, and the CC drops really help get Marshadow off the field quickly (my Incineroar definitely felt super useful against opposing Marshadow squads).

However, using my own Marshadow against a variety of other teams gave me a very different impression of it. It was the most reliable and consistent cleaner I ever had on a team. This is where all the good features "on paper" felt like they materialized into what I expected. I think this goes to show that using Marshadow vs. facing it sometimes on a the ladder, during this suspect test anyway, might give one a different impression of it. If I hadn't used it myself, I would actually be leaning unban.
But while not entirely broken, the list of its good features, coupled with the potential I think there is to using it well (I fully agree with Human that its potential hasn't been entirely explored), seem like it's just too much to be healthy. When the current meta is probably the best balanced I have personally ever seen, I see no reason to introduce a Pokémon that good, even if it can indeed be manageable.

I do think the tier could still be "fine" (relatively balanced) after it's introduction, but definitely a bit less so than it currently is, and it seems counterintuitive to me to have the outcome of any suspect test result in a less balanced, less healthy metagame, when suspect tests are usually held precisely to make the tier more balanced and healthier (whether or not this is announced as the official goal, it remains a fair expectation).

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think the arguments on both sides in this thread are pretty valid and I'm really really happy that we've had some great discussion. When this suspect first started I thought my mind was pretty much made up but I've definitely been forced to give it a lot more thought.

I think my entire opinion of Marshadow comes down to the incredibly incredibly low opportunity cost associated with using it. I don't think Marshadow is an unstoppable force by any means, but there's almost 0 risk involved with throwing it on a team. Almost never will a team become worse by tossing a Marshadow on it, which has to say something about just how much it transcends the the metagame. As soon as it gets a free switch it basically comes in a threatens whatever is on the field, regardless of typing or its partner or whatever factor you might be able to come up with. Being able to OHKO its checks (being Intimidate mons) is kinda crazy, even if it means using a "suboptimal" set (I'm not going to get into which set is better but anyone sleeping on HP Ice is crazy imo).

I don't really think Marshadow leads to more or less "skill-based" games or completely invalidates any certain archetype, and I think a lot of the points on both sides are being blown somewhat out of proportion, but my point in the last paragraph is enough for me to make a decision. In my experience using Marshadow in room tours and on the suspect ladder, there's just no reason to ever not use Marshadow in a meta where it's legal. The risks are far outweighed by the rewards, and that's pretty telling.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I've been going back and forth on how I feel about Marshadow. I voted no ban in the past two suspect tests, and while some things have changed about Marshadow, a lot of how I felt at the time remains the same. As a result, I'm going to work with some of the arguments that I feel are most prominent from personal experience, this thread, and general discussion with other DOU players.

Some reasons to keep Marshadow banned
  • Argument: I prefer the way the metagame is now, so I don't want to unban Marshadow and potentially ruin the fun, etc. in DOU for me
Response: This isn't a weighty argument to me by itself. As a VGC player, I tend to hold to a minimalist position on bans, only voting to ban a Pokemon if I think the counterplay is unreasonable or is absolutely awful to play against. For example, I absolutely despise playing against Deoxys, as I find hyper offense teams super annoying to play against. But I didn't vote ban because I disliked fighting Deoxys, because I didn't think Deoxys lacked sufficient counterplay. Marshadow is not Deoxys and hardly an HO Pokemon, of course. I quite enjoy playing with Marshadow and I don't mind fighting it, so this argument doesn't resonate with me at all.
  • Argument: Marshadow would bring about an unhealthy metagame because of (insert dominating characteristic)
Response: I do think that Marshadow would undeniably be one of the best Pokemon in the tier if freed. I think the Z-move set with Shadow Sneak is best, but Life Orb has good merit. Being able to pressure Pokemon in the lategame after weakening the Intimidate user, putting Pokemon into KO range of its Z-move, or pivoting to get Marshadow into a situation where it threatens a KO on one target and cannot be KOed by the other all are what I think makes Marshadow especially strong. If Spectral Thief didn't have the stat stealing effect, I don't think Marshadow's viability would be /that/ much different. I really can't stress enough the value of Intimidate against Marshadow; people comparing Marshadow's damage output against Incineroar aren't really understanding the point of making it do 30% at -1 to a neutral target. Marshadow's bulk allows it to get that turn wrong maybe once, and sometimes not even once. My initial reaction to Marshadow being freed is that it would have this impact on the metagame (as far as nerfs):
  1. The CM Mega Latias + two Intimidate + two Fake Out team is dead.
  2. Rain Psyspam gains a new member in Marshadow, giving rise to a more viable variant of hyper offense.
  3. Kommo-o is harder to use, since it has almost no Marshadow protection by itself.
  4. The introduction of a fast Fighting-type hurts Kartana, Chansey, and Kyurem-Black the most, with a new annoyance for Incineroar.
  5. Mega Metagross would be annoyed and probably decrease in usage.
That's obviously not everything that would happen, and maybe not listing everything is naive, but I don't really have a problem with a lot of things on this list; I don't find it unhealthy. I think my response here to the second argument is weak, since I haven't properly responded to specific instances of (insert dominating characteristic here).
  • Argument: the interaction between two Marshadows is unhealthy
Response: I agree with this point wholeheartedly. Not knowing the Marshadow set leaves you guessing with whether or not the Marshadow is Life Orb (can OHKO in the mirror with Shadow Sneak, especially after Life Orb recoil of your own), and often games can come down to the Marshadow Speed tie. Risking a Marshadow Speed tie is often very rewarding. I think because most Marshadow vs Marshadow interactions happen in the endgame, players attribute game wins/losses to that Speed tie rather than where they could have played better earlier in the game. Nevertheless, a Pokemon being able to OHKO another Pokemon in multiple ways is frustrating and sometimes unavoidable, and I think this, in my opinion, the best reason to leave Marshadow banned.

Some reasons to unban Marshadow
  • I want to unban Marshadow to have a way to whack Incineroar/Chansey/other things I don't like
Response: This is pretty much the exact same argument as the first to keep Marshadow banned. Of course Marshadow can hit these Pokemon for super effective damage; so what? You need to show that Marshadow isn't currently banworthy. Is hitting Incineroar for an OHKO without Intimidate worth allowing a controversial Pokemon back into the metagame? For example, Kyogre also OHKOes Incineroar, and has counterplay in Kartana, Tapu Koko, and Amoonguss, but we obviously don't want to allow Kyogre.
  • Marshadow may have been banworthy before, but it is not banworthy now because of (insert change to the metagame)
Response: While Incineroar providing more widespread access to Intimidate on teams is important in checking Marshadow, there really isn't that much that's changed otherwise; Mega Gengar and Snorlax were both banned, which Marshadow was good against. I find Incineroar helpful against Marshadow, but certainly not the be-all end-all. So I think that considering older anti-ban arguments are also helpful. Here are some:
  • Marshadow struggles against Speed control of all kinds
  • Marshadow struggles to deal consistent damage against Pokemon that resist one STAB (e.g. Tapu Fini, Amoonguss)
  • Marshadow is weak to Intimidate (this is bolstered by the introduction of Incineroar and popularity of Mega Manectric)
Are these good reasons to keep Marshadow around? Players at the time ended up not thinking so. I personally resonate most with the Speed control argument; Marshadow really struggles to do the things it wants without attacking first, and while it is naturally strong against most Trick Room setters, being forced to lead Marshadow against teams with Pokemon like Diancie makes me uncomfortable, personally.

I know I have not interacted directly with anyone in this thread, so these are just my thoughts in a sort of vacuum. I personally didn't think Marshadow was banworthy before, and the suspect test didn't change my mind on the matter (I am including room tours as part of the suspect test, where I watched a fair amount of games; ladder was not indicative of a Marshadow metagame imo, as is normal with suspect tests). However, I think voting to keep Marshadow banned is a very reasonable position to take as well.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
welp see you guys again when ss drops.

hopefully they give us a special attacking fighting/rock mon.

honestly this meta is worse than kangaskhan at least it could break all these bulky, never dying, intimidate, berry restoring garbage.

someone dm me if there is another suspect test before ss drops for whatever.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Good work fellow tourney bros

So with the Gen 7 meta we've axed off Jirachi, MKanga, Swagger, Marshadow(x2), Lax, and MGengar. I'll be honest here and say I have no clue what to go next. As said many times in this thread, the meta is at a pretty nice place currently and we're still evolving. Shadow Tag seems to be the next obvious conclusion for the next point in community discussion, but Im pretty curious how everyone else feels if anything else should be retested.

Ngl I feel curious about a Swagger retest myself, but I feel Shadow Tag is a more pressing concern at hand

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I don't know where to put this, so for lack of a better place I'm putting it here. I'm very upset with how the discussion around modchat in tour games turned out.

I have really bad anxiety. I once broke a chair during an anxiety attack by grabbing it with both hands and slamming it over my head. One thing that makes this anxiety worse is people watching me. Sometimes I'm not feeling too bad and I can afford to make my games public. Other times I'm feeling awful and I can't. This is something I've done before, it's just something nobody has ever complained about before lol.

As a player in tournaments I of course have a duty to my opponents to be fair; this is why we have scheduling rules and the replay rule. I have a duty to the metagame not to hide strats, again covered by the replay rule. But I don't think I have a duty to spectators just because they want to watch. We need to examine the reason the tour exists before we start requiring the games to be public.

Certainly one of the goals of SPL is advertising our meta to the rest of the site, so it makes sense to require that DOU SPL games be public. But can you say the same about any other tour? The goal of the circuit is to drive meta advancement by recognizing and rewarding our best players. It's not really spectated by anyone outside of DOU mains, who will watch the replays anyway, so you can hardly argue that requiring public games has any tangible benefit.

As a spectator, you have a ton of tournament sets to watch, while I only have one tournament run. To me, the selfish one is demanding to ruin my irreplaceable tournament experience for their replaceable spectator experience, when I have had to work far harder to earn my spot as a tournament player than they did to earn their spot as a spectator. If you want more games to be public, knock me out of the tour. It's a perverse world when we're prioritizing the desires of spectators over the desires of players without a damn good reason.

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
I don't know where to put this, so for lack of a better place I'm putting it here. I'm very upset with how the discussion around modchat in tour games turned out.
Literally none of the people you are arguing with in discord are tour directors. And no matter how much they complain about it, the rules are not going to change mid tour unless a TD does something, which they won't. So this turning into a big discussion is absolutely silly. Just keep doing you and let the haters hate

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This was going to be some long winded post but the anger wore off and a lot of what I was going to say was just repeating what plenty of people echoed on discord.

This entire argument boils down to the "rights" of the players vs the "rights" of spectators. I put those in quotation marks because no one really has any rights here. Every DOU circuit tournament is free to enter and open to everyone, and the only thing at stake is a postbit ribbon for one person at the end of the year. As such, when you enter a tournament, you don't really get to claim that your opinion is more important than anyone else's just because you typed in and clicked post reply.

The purpose of DOU circuit tournaments is two-fold: provide a way for established DOU players to compete to see who is the best at a given time, and provide a way for newer players to get involved. Tournaments naturally foster a sense of community in that a large group of people are all working towards the same goal. Obviously everyone is directly competing to reach that goal, but it still unites the community since everyone is focused on one event for a sustained period of time. As such, restricting access to the event that is a live tournament set is actively restricting growth in favor of an improvement in player condition that can be reached through other means by the player themself.

Which leads into my next point - playing under pressure is a skill and is inherently part of playing a tournament set. There are multiple factors that can affect that outcome of a set that have nothing to do with the act of playing a game (scouting, building, mentality, etc). While anxiety issues are obviously terrible and no one is trying to brush them aside, if a person knows they generally struggle with tournament anxiety and enters a tournament, managing that anxiety is a very real part of the tournament experience and is not completely alleviated by a lack of spectators. If the actions of spectators is what's troublesome, that's when stepping in and moderating spectators is appropriate. There are resources at your disposal to prevent this from affecting you, such as ignore spectators, modchat, and leaving public chatrooms (PS rooms, discord, etc) during your set. If there is any flagrant disruption, then disciplinary action can be taken.

All in all, it's important to remember that tournament sets are important for bringing new players into the community. A lot of people, myself included, got involved with DOU by watching tournament sets because watching high-level matches is much more entertaining and informative than playing or watching games on the ladder. As such, we will be implementing the following rule, beginning with Spring Seasonals.

Regarding restricting access to tournament matches:

In order for access to be restricted to a tournament set, both players must consent (i.e., the default is public room, modjoin off). Furthermore, viewing access to tournament matches may not be restricted in any way in the following scenarios:
  • During or after Top 8 of single elimination tournament brackets, including playoffs of tournaments with a qualifying + playoff component
  • During or after Round 10 of Seasonals
  • At any point during Doubles Premier League
  • At any point during Doubles Invitationals
Restricted viewing access is defined as enabling any setting that prevents someone from accessing the room without an invitation or direct link. This includes but is not limited to: enabling modjoin, hiding the room, or using ionext. In other words, someone needs to be able to click on your name on Pokemon Showdown and see the battle room. If a game is accidentally modjoined via ionext, there will be no penalty if modjoin is turned off before team preview ends.

Any games with restricted access under the specified scenarios will be considered invalid and must be replayed. For example, Player A wins game 1 of a set, then modjoins game 2 and wins game 2. Game 2 will not be counted and must be replayed for the set to be complete.

Anyone found to be abusing the rule (e.g. hiding a room when you know you'll lose so it will be invalid) will be punished severely.
It is important to note that this will not be applied retroactively. This rule will not be applied to ongoing circuit tournaments (so just DLT), nor will people who have hidden games in the past be affected by this rule. There is also no obligation to report where or when a match is occurring. While we obviously encourage and strongly prefer that players post their match times, link games on discord/PS, and use the discord matches tag, none of this is strictly required. However, if you go out of your way to make sure people cannot watch, that's where the issue arises.

Tournaments should be a fun time for everyone involved - both the players and the spectators. While considering the desires of the players is important to an extent, the players are not the only people benefiting from tournaments so a balance needs to be struck. The council believes this is the appropriate balance.

whoops guess it was long winded anyway

Last edited:

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Sort of an unusual post, but I'd like to discuss whether or not the current Gravity + sleep moves with accuracy < 100% clause is necessary in Doubles OU as a complex ban. I think this clause is needlessly complex compared to a hard ban on Gravity itself.

While ladder statistics are by no means representative of tournament play, a quick Ctrl+F in the most recent ladder usage stats in May 2019 reveals that the only use of Gravity is on Sableye at a measly 13% in the 1825 weighted statistics. In the other weighted statistics, it saw usage on Pokemon like Oranguru, Beheeyem, Medicham, and Regice to name a few, with the highest usage on Oranguru (30%) still being extremely low. Additionally, no Pokemon ranked on the current viability rankings that can learn Gravity actually use the move according to ladder statistics, which means it doesn't even see fringe viability on the ladder. I don't have copious familiarity with SM tournament data, but I really can't recall any teams using the move, like, ever. Gravity offers little to teams, because if you want to use Ground-type moves on Flying-type or Levitating opponents, you might as well should just use Zygarde and Thousand Arrows.

Smogon Clauses are typically intended to be simple. A good DOU example would be Swagger on Tapu Fini. Disregarding any implications with early Marshadow, Swagger was pretty much exclusively seen on Tapu Fini. A complex ban of Swagger + Tapu Fini would easily resolve the primary issues with Swagger (that it was too easy to support a partner like Zygarde, etc), yet Swagger in its entirety was chosen to be banned, even though it saw minimal usage outside of Tapu Fini, because it's simpler. I'm making a similar case for Gravity; banning it from DOU entirely is much simpler than complex banning, and although maybe it has some fringe use on Sableye and Oranguru maybe, I don't think that's enough to override the simplicity of just banning Gravity outright.

While I'm here, it might be good to ask whether or not the clause in any form is needed in the first place. Gravity's only real use is sleep spam, as the intention of the clause would suggest. Probably the most viable abuser of this would be Hypnosis Bronzong + Gravity on dedicated hard Trick Room teams, though I remember in XY when the craze about this clause sprang up you also saw super fast Gravity + Hypnosis with Pokemon like Crobat as well. Even this doesn't seem inherently overpowered to me; Tapu Koko and Tapu Fini's popularity naturally reduces the impact sleep spam has on the metagame. That's not to say having a Koko/Fini on your team will invalidate sleep spam, but rather that counterplay is more easily accessible than in XY. Still, I think it's reasonable to say "sleep spam is dumb!", so I'll instead place emphasis on the first part of my post, though I think removing the clause is fine too.

Givrix

Mad Dog
is a Top Tiering Contributor
My opinion is quite clear: We should neither quick ban, nor even suspect test Gravity, because it's just not broken at all. Since the user Lavos used to write something similar for a different thread, I'll just share it here:

2) I'm glad you concede that the current state of BP in Gen 5 doesn't even come close to broken, but I think you underrate how useful BP can be with the right sort of team. Not saying it is or will ever be "common" but it does have a niche. And what we're really evaluating is whether the simplicity we gain from changing the rules outweighs the loss of some potential creativity and innovation. Without getting into why I absolutely loathe the "metagameification" of Pokemon, I don't understand the hype around making our rules the easiest possible to digest when literally nothing else about this game is simple. If this is purportedly for the benefit of the "new player" then I trust that any 12-year-old out there can read the error message in the teambuilder and adapt accordingly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)