np: NU Stage 11 - The End

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I want to post about something I've used quite a bit recently and I'm loving atm.

Klang @ Eviolite
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 240 HP / 136 Def / 40 SpD / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Klang has gotten a lot of praise since Stage 9, but I've never managed to fit Klang onto one of my teams until recently. So I decided to build a team around Klang, and I've gotta say, Mono Attacking Klang is absolutely incredible. Its Steel typing is very good by NU standards; and Klang can use four of the S-Rank threats as setup fodder, namely Scolipede, Kangaskhan, Jynx, and Musharna. Klang has a hell lot of bulk with Eviolite, which makes it easy to set up Shift Gears to become both a strong offensive and defensive threat at the same time. RestTalk serves as recovery for Klang, and with its bulk and typing along with a setup move, Klang is sure to last a really long time when Fire-types are out of the battle. Klang can also use a bunch of defensive Pokemon such as Misdreavus, Roselia, and Alomomola as setup bait too. Klang works amazingly well with Toxic Spikes support, allowing it to stall out Alomomola and Ludicolo, and in general weakening things that can take on Klang well. I used this in conjunction with Heal Bell support from Missy as well, and with all of the right Pokemon around to provide Klang that support, this thing excels. GEAR is underrated and I love it.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

| 27 | Probopass | 6.68849% | 11265 | 5.061% | 10132 | 5.638% |1850 Stats

Being one of the few Pokemon able to check both Charizard and Jynx, Probopass can do a lot of good things in this metagame. It can set up the always important Stealth Rock quite easily with Sturdy, or even go on a more offensive route with Magnet Pull to trap the Steel-types that gained popularity ever since Jynx was unbanned. Not only does it check those two dangerous threats, Probopass deals perfectly with the good ol' Musharna and SubBU Braviary (or Psychic- and Flying-types in general) with both Toxic and Power Gem, which is extremely good for a single Pokemon. It even has a slow Volt Switch to bring in its teammates safely, making Probopass an amazing pivot.

Does it deserve more usage? or is Probopass overrated? I honestly think Probopass is amazing with what I've previously mentioned, but I would like to know everyone's opinion on this manly 'stache!
Well (I think) it is well known that I am a huge supporter of the mustached magnet, being one of the pokemon that I can't seem to avoid putting on teams. I don't think a mon with Stealth Rock, a slow Volt Switch, and an amazing ability (I'm talking magnet pull) can be overrated when it is sitting at number 27 in usage. Probopass helps so many things succeed in NU, as it easily traps all steel-types in the tier, as they are all base 50 or lower and tend not to run invest that heavily in speed. Probopass makes a great teammate for threats such as Swellow (magnet pull + slow volt switch, yes please), Jynx, Drifblim, and Fraxure. The ability to take on opposing Jynx and Charizard, depending on the set you run, is just iceing on the cake for such a good mon. I would say that Probopass is slightly underrated if anything, it doesn't deserve to be a top 15 mon but it could definitely be a top 20 mon. (Also fucks over swag pard :])

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Probopass is awesome, but one of my main issues with it is its massive 4MSS. It would kill to be able to run SR, Power Gem, Volt Switch, Earth Power, and Toxic all in the same set but sadly it can't, and deciding EV spreads are a problem as well: you wish you could run both SpD and offensive spreads to check Zard or deal with Steels, respectively. Of course, it's still gonna have a shitton of utility no matter what set you run; SR, slow pivot, Liepard counter, etc. though that's probably why it isn't as high as it could be.

Also, posting because there's a cool Scolipede set I've been using lately:

Scolipede @ Black Sludge
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Atk / 56 Def / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Megahorn
- Toxic Spikes

The last slot is mainly filler but I used Toxic Spikes just for fucking around with unprepared teams. You could also use SD, Aqua Tail, or really w/e you feel like since Pede is pretty versatile. Basically this pretty much a fast support mon and momentum grabber that can switch in, force something out, and Baton Pass along with them. Baton Pass in general is just a really underrated move on Pede, and it's a super cool surprise momentum grabber too just cause no one ever expects it. If you manage to nab a Sub it's just even better, which you can often do against resisted hits, things you force out, and unsuspecting status abusers like Missy. Even dry passing is cool just cause the momentum is often enough to get you out of a clutch situation.

I've played with this stall core and I'm enjoying it right now.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Def / 152 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Scald

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SDef / 56 Spd
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

Scald is used because I have t-spikes support on my team with Rocky Helmet Garbodor. Alomomola checks any physical attacker that can't hit it with SE or 100+ STAB. Ludicolo also has nice synergy with Mola, taking on Grass- and Electric-type special attackers that beat Mola, while Mola in return can handle Poison-, Bug-, and Flying-type physical attackers. Leech Seed puts a lot of pressure on the opponent, as they have to pick between risk a Scald on an airborne mon or a Poison- or Steel-type, getting a grounded mon that isn't Poison-type poisoned, or getting stalled while Ludicolo hardly received any damage. With Wish support, the foe is put into even more pressure.

Charizard is an absolute pain to deal with. I've been destroyed by Zard more times than with Jynx or Scolipede. Are there any checks to Charizard that can fit on stall that aren't shaky?

Last edited:
I've played with this stall core and I'm enjoying it right now.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 104 HP / 144 Def / 152 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Scald

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SDef / 56 Spd
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

Scald is used because I have t-spikes support on my team with Rocky Helmet Garbodor. Alomomola checks any physical attacker that can't hit it with SE or 100+ STAB. Ludicolo also has nice synergy with Mola, taking on Grass- and Electric-type special attackers that beat Mola, while Mola in return can handle Poison-, Bug-, and Flying-type physical attackers. Leech Seed puts a lot of pressure on the opponent, as they have to pick between risk a Scald on an airborne mon or a Poison- or Steel-type, getting a grounded mon that isn't Poison-type poisoned, or getting stalled while Ludicolo hardly received any damage. With Wish support, the foe is put into even more pressure.

Charizard is an absolute pain to deal with. I've been destroyed by Zard more times than with Jynx or Scolipede. Are there any checks to Charizard that can fit on stall that aren't shaky?
Specially Defensive Roselia > Ludicolo in that core. The reason is simply that it has a far higher Special Attack, as well as access to Spikes + Toxic Spikes, which Alomomola especially appreciates due to it's ability to simply stall out opponents. Sludge Bomb also allows you to check Grass types, something Ludicolo cannot do, allowing you to break through Tangela and Ludicolos, making Roselia the better option in general. On top of that, Roselia doesn't mind Toxic, Burn, Sleep, Paralysis, and can help absorb tons of status to support it's alomomola counterpart, something Ludicolo cannot do. It also has higher natural Special Attack, putting it in a better corner for placing offensive pressure on opponents as well.

I also do not understand why you are running Mixed Defenses on Almomola. It should purely be running physical defense.

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb / Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Synthesis / Rest

I also do not understand why you are running Mixed Defenses on Almomola. It should purely be running physical defense.
Fixed Defense EVs to 252.

Also, if I use Roselia, Garbodor becomes worthless, so this Musharna set would be its replacement if I use Roselia.

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Toxic
- Heal Bell
- Psychic

Support Pivot Musharna synergizes well with Roselia in that it can take on physical Fire-, Ice-, Psychic-, and Flying-types that Roselia struggles with. Using this would also allow Misdreavus to run Perish Song. Musharna also allows me to poison airborne opponents, stalling even more.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Munchlax is a great answer to Charizard on stall, it walls most variants of Zard thanks to Thick Fat and amazing special bulk, and in general does well as a bulky phazer on stall teams, and access to Whirlwind means it can spread the Toxic Spikes effect onto most of the team. It also has the added bonus of walling Jynx as well as a horde of special attackers, and gives you another special wall to back on. Munchlax is overall a great Zard answer that is a great choice for a stall team.

I'll talk about something late maybe, just wanted to get this out there.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I just want to post to clarify something which actually quite a lot of people don't understand: why Alomomola should run SpDef evs. Those evs let you survive various special attack such as Thunderbolt, Giga Drain, avoiding the 2HKO from some Grass Knot users, and more importantly, avoid getting 2HKO by Charizard. The best part aabout this is that Alomomola doesn't lose too much physical bulk due to its huge HP :)

As for a Charizard answer on stall teams, they are hard to find as Charizard can run multiple sets, including Swords Dance, Specs, Life Orb, etc. Specs and Life Orb can be played around fine with Pokemon like Alomomola, Audino, Zweilous, and Dragonair (there's more, but I am lazy), while Swords Dance is actually hard to deal with when it starts boosting as Alomomola is 2HKO by Flying Gem boosted Acrobatic at +2 followed by a non-Gem boosted hit. ebeast made a cool Eelektross set able to check both SD Charizard, SubBU Braviary, and a lot of other things like Ground-types.

Eelektross @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Giga Drain
- Super Fang
- Roar

TLDR Charizard is a freaking monster and require multiple checks if you don't want to get stomped by it, but most of the time you naturally carry more than two checks to it since few Pokemon are used on Stall, and most of them can take a hit or two and recover back their health!

Last edited:
I just want to post to clarify something which actually quite a lot of people don't understand: why Alomomola should run SpDef evs. Those evs let you survive various special attack such as Thunderbolt, Giga Drain, avoiding the 2HKO from some Grass Knot users, and more importantly, avoid getting 2HKO by Charizard. The best part aabout this is that Alomomola doesn't lose too much physical bulk due to its huge HP :)

As for a Charizard answer on stall teams, they are hard to find as Charizard can run multiple sets, including Swords Dance, Specs, Life Orb, etc. Specs and Life Orb can be played around fine with Pokemon like Alomomola, Audino, Zweilous, and Dragonair (there's more, but I am lazy), while Swords Dance is actually hard to deal with when it starts boosting as Alomomola is 2HKO by Flying Gem boosted Acrobatic at +2 followed by a non-Gem boosted hit. ebeast made a cool Eelektross set able to check both SD Charizard, SubBU Braviary, and a lot of other things like Ground-types.

Eelektross @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Giga Drain
- Super Fang
- Roar

TLDR Charizard is a freaking monster and require multiple checks if you don't want to get stomped by it, but most of the time you naturally carry more than two checks to it since few Pokemon are used on Stall, and most of them can take a hit or two and recover back their health!

I agree with SG on the running Alomomola with mixed defenses ordeal. It allows you to avoid 2HKOs by Charizard, but also allows you to avoid the 1HKO from a multitude of special attackers, enabling you to switch out.

Also, liking the Eelketross, by why Super Fang ? That seems like a decent option, but why run it ?

On another subject : I've been using MIghtyena to some success lately, achieving one sweep with him so far. Mightyena is an overall not the best mon, but he can achieve the sweep given the right circumstances. He's okay, but there are better mons that run moxie in the tier,like Pinsir. While Mightyena can OHKO some mons with a moxie boost, it is hard to get the boost, because of his low speed. 70 isn't worst, but mons like Jynx can defeat it by using Lovely Kiss to put him to sleep and then switch out into another appropriate counter. Also, status is mightyena's enemy, because a burn pretty much makes him useless. Mightyena does have some perks though. His attack isn't too bad, and after a couple of boosts(provided you have eliminated his counters), he can sweep a team. But really the only thing I see making him good is Moxie. His bad defenses don't help either, because he easily KO'ed by Sawk,Primeape,pretty much every fighting type in NU. Also, in order to KO many fighting types in the tier, he needs to be above +2.

Also, his movepool isn't that good either, because he's contained to really dark type moves and the elemental fangs. He also has to rely on Sucker Punch because of his speed, which is often easy to predict. And also, the only really good dark type move he gets is Crunch and I think Pursuit. I've found Musharna to be a decent partner for him, because she can deal with those pesky fighting types that plague Mightyena, but she does lose to the bug types, but I solved that by adding Primeape, who deals with Jynx and Pinsir respectively to an extent. Then again, I'm not as good as most of you, I've only been playing NU for 7 months. Also, I'm good, just not very good. Honestly, I am considering going to Cacturne, because he, while not getting Moxie, gets access to a more wide movepool.

(I tried to post better, please don't eat me DX)
I just used Mightyena because I wanted to try him out.

I never understood what was up with all the 'Zard-fearing around this tier. I think perhaps it's because I
1) Always have Stealth Rock
2) Always run a scarfer (even on stall teams)

Even when the rocks get spun away I havee never recalled that dealing with Charizard has been an issue. Ever. But perhaps that's just me.

Anyway, my #1 overrated set for B/W NU must be the Scarfed Gardy set, which just seems outclassed by almost any other special scarfer

and #1 underrated (to me) has been the Gardevoir w/ Light clay with Dual Screens and Memento. This set has allowed me to sweep with various Quiver Dancers and Dragon Dancers so many times, as Mothim, Masquerain and Fraxure become so deadly at +2 which they usually get when behind screens, especially seeing as I always run Lum berries on them. I really think this Gardevoir should be looked at more than the alternative, as it actually has superb bulk and, if you know when to use it as a martyr, causes nightmares to opposing teams.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I never understood what was up with all the 'Zard-fearing around this tier. I think perhaps it's because I
The main problems with Charizard is that when it comes in, you don't know what set it is:
  1. It can be holding a Choice Specs.
  2. It can be using a physical set with Swords Dance.
  3. It can be Choice Scarf.
  4. It can be Life Orb.
  5. Gimmicky (Power Herb Solarbeam, SubRoost, etc.)
All of these sets are viable and doesn't require too much support to work, Choice Specs being the easiest to use as you can just click Fire Blast and watch things crumble with Stealth Rock, including those resisting it.

Also, if you look it up, you will realise that there are no Pokemon able to take on all of these sets. Obviously Stealth Rock are probably your best check against it, but you have to keep in mind that Charizard can still abuse those Stealth Rock to get down to Blaze range, or is still able to take most of the priority move in NU even at 50% (Zangoose's Quick Attack is a good exemple). Not to forget that it is quite easy to prevent entry hazards (Taunt, Sawk, Multi-hit moves, etc.)

Then there's Charizard base Speed: 100 Speed isn't a joke in NU, being able to outspeed a good portion of the tier without even boosting its Speed. Choice Scarf's users are obviously going to be a problem for Charizard if it doesn't hold a Choice Scarf itself; but isn't it the same for any other Pokemon?

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

Even when the rocks get spun away I havee never recalled that dealing with Charizard has been an issue. Ever. But perhaps that's just me.

Anyway, my #1 overrated set for B/W NU must be the Scarfed Gardy set, which just seems outclassed by almost any other special scarfer

and #1 underrated (to me) has been the Gardevoir w/ Light clay with Dual Screens and Memento. This set has allowed me to sweep with various Quiver Dancers and Dragon Dancers so many times, as Mothim, Masquerain and Fraxure become so deadly at +2 which they usually get when behind screens, especially seeing as I always run Lum berries on them. I really think this Gardevoir should be looked at more than the alternative, as it actually has superb bulk and, if you know when to use it as a martyr, causes nightmares to opposing teams.
People can use Rapid Spin in NU, especially if they have Charizard. Usually a Pokemon like Wartortle would do the trick. Furthermore, Charizard is incredibly threatening late game, and as your scarfer will have usually revenged a couple of things by then he would most likely be weakened. Charizard is also a very efficient scarfer, out-speeding your's and probably sweeping. He hits like a truck with a Choice Specs and sweeps with his large speed as well. You can't even just counter it in teambuiling with a specially bulky Pokemon who counters Charizard well (i.e Lunatone) because he runs an incredibly good Swords Dance set as well.

You've clearly only joined NU recently, as Scarf Gardevoir is the remains of when she used to be an S-Tier threat in stage 8(?) and one of her best sets would be the revenger with a Choice Scarf. People carried on using her to fair success just in case your team doesn't want to use Rapid Spin Jynx would take "too much" damage from it every time she revenges.

The support Gardevoir (not the WishTect the one you mentioned) as incredibly situational. Even so you usually have to sack a Pokemon to bring Gardevoir in to then support your WC. To be honest, it's an incredibly niche set and I'm not even sure if it's on the analysis. It has it's uses, but it is also deadweight in a match that you don't completely and utterly control.

Also Soulgazer quite ninjaing me :pirate:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You've clearly only joined NU recently, as Scarf Gardevoir is the remains of when she used to be an S-Tier threat in stage 8(?) and one of her best sets would be the revenger with a Choice Scarf. People carried on using her to fair success just in case your team doesn't want to use Rapid Spin Jynx would take "too much" damage from it every time she revenges.

The support Gardevoir (not the WishTect the one you mentioned) as incredibly situational. Even so you usually have to sack a Pokemon to bring Gardevoir in to then support your WC. To be honest, it's an incredibly niche set and I'm not even sure if it's on the analysis. It has it's uses, but it is also deadweight in a match that you don't completely and utterly control.

Also Soulgazer quite ninjaing me :pirate:
Gardevoir is a poor scarfer in comparison to Jynx. The less residual damage Gardevoir takes isn't enough to justify using it most of the time. Here are a few reasons why Scarf Gardevoir is worse than Jynx:

1) Jynx has an amazing Ice-type STAB
2) Jynx has Lovely Kiss
3) Jynx reaches the benchmark 95 Speed
4) Jynx has an immunity to Water. This allows it to revenge kill Carracosta and switch into several other Water-types, including Ludicolo

Probably the only thing Gardevoir has over Jynx as a scarfer is Healing Wish (and probably Trace but most of the time Dry Skin lets you revenge kill more things), but that isn't enough to justify using it over Jynx on most teams, and most ladder teams use the same old Psychic / Signal Beam / Focus Blast / Trick anyway. IMO Idiotesque is correct in saying that Scarf Gardy is overrated. The best Gardevoir set is probably Life Orb with Destiny Bond, Healing Wish or Memento in the last slot, since it puts into use both Trace and a support move into very effective use compared to the Scarf set.

Secondly, Dual Screens Gardevoir isn't a bad Pokemon. In fact, it's considered one of the best Dual Screen users in NU. This is because it's fast enough to get off a screen, survive a hit, and get another one off. In addition, it has access to support moves such as Taunt, Memento, Healing Wish, Destiny Bond, and Safeguard. All of these are amazing in aiding a hyper offense team. It's also definitely not deadweight, since it can get off a screen, move on to a teammate and come back whenever the screens run out, and when late game arrives it can set up screens and unleash Memento or Healing Wish to bring in a teammate safely and sweep. Dual Screens Gardevoir is definitely much better than you imagine it.

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE

Choice Scarf Gardevoir never was its best set, and right now there is literally no reason to use it over Choice Scarf Jynx, and as I said entry hazards aren't usually a huge factor, especially with revenge killers since you won't bring them in as often as any other Pokemon.

As for the Dual Screen set for Gardevoir, it's a good set, providing amazing support to Hyper Offense teams with Screens and Memento with a decent typing. I would never call a set able to give any set up sweeper an opportunity to set up safely to be deadweight, althought it can be stopped with any Taunt users (Gardevoir can also run Taunt to beat most Taunt users anyway, but then it loses on an offensive move).

My favorite set right now is the All-Out Attacker set:

Gardevoir @ Life Orb
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam / Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond

It serves as a check to weather teams, which can be really dangerous, and as a decent wallbreaker with the coverage these moves provides. Destiny Bond is the most important move in my opinion, as it allows Gardevoir to remove an opponent's Pokemon with ease to support its team.

/4am post
EDIT: scorp ._.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My favorite set right now is the All-Out Attacker set:

Gardevoir @ Life Orb
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond

It serves as a check to weather teams, which can be really dangerous, and as a decent wallbreaker with the coverage these moves provides. Destiny Bond is the most important move in my opinion, as it allows Gardevoir to remove an opponent's Pokemon with ease to support its team.
If your Gardevoir isn't running thunderbolt, you are doing it wrong imo. One of the biggest pros of Gardevoir is its ability to donk Mandibuzz, and both signal beam and focus blast are also neutral to the good dark types anyways. Obviously all moves listed are viable, but seriously, fuck Mandibuzz.

In regards to this, Scorp basically already elaborated everything I wanted to say: Scarf Gardy is simply outclassed most of the time, and the dual screens version I put up is not fantastic, I personally would say it's got far less usefulness than the LO set, but it's still an underrated set, as you stated yourself, Celever, it doesn't even have its own section on Gard's strategy page, so lots of people don't even know about how to use it.

but it is also deadweight in a match that you don't completely and utterly control.
Not true. He is actually great at turning the match around and allowing a last minute sweep (sometimes)

You've clearly only joined NU recently,
And no I haven't.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Actually Soulgazer, the one universal response to Charizard would be Specially Defensive Lunatone with HP Rock, who only stands a chance to get OHKOed by LO Solar Power Solarbeam, but that kills Zard just as quickly lol.

As for Gardevoir, an offensive set that makes use of its great supportive / disruptive movepool would be the best way to use it without being outclassed or face severe competition. Its offensive movepool consists of Psychic / Psyshock, Focus Blast, Thunderbolt, Signal Beam, and Shadow Ball; whereas its other options can include Taunt, Heal Bell, Destiny Bond, Healing Wish, Will-o-Wisp, Encore, Memento, and Dual Screens.

Punchshroom My own breed of Specially Defensive Regirock>
252 SpA Choice Specs Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Regirock: 85-101 (23.3 - 27.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

On another point: A lot of Tangelas on ladder lately. Saw him along side torkoal and other poke to form a triple defensive core hard to break in special:
+
+

Man, that match was tough (only won because of hax). With Hypno using heal bell and passing Wish to that bastard tangela walling my kangaskhan to death and torkoal spinning away my spikes, this core is really well done. Before I battled this team, I was carrying a Banded pokemon and a Specs one, now I'm carrying two specs poke.

Tangela is a little bitch that can knock off your item, leech seed you and switch to regenerate the damage. My main strategy against him is to lay 3 spikes and SR so I can outdamage his regenerator, here enter torkoal who spin then away, but of course he lose health...... that he got back from a Hypno wish....

Really tough to fight indeed....

252 SpA Choice Specs Charizard Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Regirock: 85-101 (23.3 - 27.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

On another point: A lot of Tangelas on ladder lately. Saw him along side torkoal and other poke to form a triple defensive core hard to break in special:
+
+

Man, that match was tough (only won because of hax). With Hypno using heal bell and passing Wish to that bastard tangela walling my kangaskhan to death and torkoal spinning away my spikes, this core is really well done. Before I battled this team, I was carrying a Banded pokemon and a Specs one, now I'm carrying two specs poke.

Tangela is a little bitch that can knock off your item, leech seed you and switch to regenerate the damage. My main strategy against him is to lay 3 spikes and SR so I can outdamage his regenerator, here enter torkoal who spin then away, but of course he lose health...... that he got back from a Hypno wish....

That core is well known in user
Economy / Government Deficit / Recession / Investment Banker / Wild IRS Agent

I would like to add that those three round off an extremely powerful core designed by said user. While none of the pokemon are potent threats alone, together they can tank any single NU threat's attack. Regardless, his team is one of the best put together on the ladder ATM, and I agree with you in the fact that it is very hard to break through the three as a whole

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

+
+

Maybe it's just me but I don't recall ever having that much trouble with that core on the ladder lol. It's super weak to a lot of bulky setup sweepers like SubBU Braviary, CM Serperior, and SubCM Drifblim because they've literally got nothing on them once they get up a Sub and a boost or two. Mandibuzz + a Heal Bell user can heal off annoying Lava Plume burns and Taunt + Toxic everything to death. Offensive Ghost-types such as Haunter and Taunt + NP Missy can also pretty much destroy that core, especially paired with entry hazards because they can spinblock and 2HKO pretty much everything. Ofc what I always did was use a Trick mon like Scarf Jynx paired up with a special wallbreaker like Charizard to lure in Hypno, Trick it, and run train with Zard. I mean I'm not saying that core isn't good because it honestly definitely is, it's just not any more impressive than most other defensive cores out there :P. Though I will give the user credit for finding a way to use those mons effectively because they're normally not very good.

While I'm here though I might as well post a set of my own:

Gothorita @ Eviolite
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 SAtk / 180 Spd / 76 HP
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Reflect

So pretty much the goal of this set is to defeat all common leads and keep as many entry hazards off the field as possible. Goth is a pretty good lead in general because it forces the opponent to stay in while you can basically guarantee a positive matchup for yourself, but this takes Goth's good leading skills (idk of a better term) and maximizes its potential. Psychic takes care of Spikes-stackers (bar Scolipede who's faster), while Grass Knot 2HKOes almost all relevant SRers except Probopass and Bastiodon which I just use a Ground-type for. Metang is also annoying but I just use Zard for that. Reflect is kinda just there as a filler though it's sometimes useful against Sucker Punch Golem scenarios. Also the EV spread is designed to outspeed max Speed Golurk and Taunt it while the HP EVs let me survive a Iron Fist Shadow Punch and 2HKO with Grass Knot. It's a fun partner to pair up with hazard-weak mons like Charizard, Braviary, etc. because they absolutely destroy with no hazards on the field. Especially with Mandibuzz running around everywhere idt CM Goth can really *sweep* like it used to so this is a pretty cool alternative that can still be efficient while not having to "waste" boosts just because there's a Dark-type lurking in the back.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say how amazing of a triple pivot core Musharna + Gurdurr + Mandibuzz make up which i've been using on a lot of my recent teams:

With these three defensive pivots, not only do you have the classic Fighting + Dark + Psychic core, but you also have the ability to utilize these three bulkier pokemon on an all out offensive team, without loosing any momentum. With all three having very fair mixed bulk, they can pivot in and out of attacks, giving your sweepers a much easier time and crippling the opponent's pokemon by spreading status and knock off. The most important thing to keep in mind is that often defensive pivots such as roselia and wartortle act as momentum sucks, while these three can continuosly build momentum and don't lose offensive presence for your team, acting as very important defensive kingpins and thus create a great core.

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts / Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch / Stone Edge
- Knock Off / Toxic

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 248 HP / 148 Def / 112 Spd
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic / U-Turn
- Taunt / Whirlwind

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave / Toxic / Heal Bell
- Baton Pass
- Moonlight

+
+

Really nice core,you see there ^__^
Using Tangela, who is pretty much a bitch to take down because of Eviolite, good special attack, and Regenerator. Probably Regenerator is the most annoying thing about Tangela, because then Tangela gains 1/3(Think that's it ?) of its health every time it switches out. BUt then again, that's why you want to poison it, or at least I think you should, set up hazards too.

Torkoal,I have some experience with, and I'd say he's a decent rapid spinner, better than Wartortle imo, because he doesn't have to run eviolite, and he can set up SR too if you wanted to run both(not that I would), and has more moves to work with than Wartortle. Also, Torkoal has an ability that prevents stat reduction, therefore helping him further, but then again..lol, why run a rapid spinner in NU ? xD

Hypno I have no experience with, other than I have a shiny one in X >:) I do know Hypno does have good special defense or defense, I don't remember his stats, so I would think it'd be special defense.

Hm,what is the best wall in NU in your guys' opinion ?

Hypno's good stat was the SDef. And the best wall... Highly opinionated :p I personally use Alomomola the most, for healing up the rest of my team.

Hypno is often played wrong. It's pure and only ability is to check common threats which rely on sleep, such as Jynx or Offensive Pivot Roselia. With that in mind, it can act as a very reliable pivot, and pretty effectively spreads Toxics / T-Waves. That being said, it doesn't actually have that good of HP, leaving it as a subpar wish passer, far outclassed by other specially bulky wish passers. These include Audino and Lickilicky. As far as specially bulky utility mons go, it is still outclassed by Spikes Roselia and Resttalk Munchlax, both of whom absorb sleep better, as misplays on other members of their team can be ignored, and in general provide more support to their teams. They also have ways of dealing with setup sweepers in decently threatning offenses and a phazing move, leaving your team less susceptible to being swept.

TL;DR: Hypno is good at checking certain sets, primarily sleep inducing, but in general is outpaced completely by other specially bulky wishers e.g. Audino.

My personal favorite wall has and will always be Mandibuzz<3. Amazing Typing. Great Mixed Defenses. Amazing Offensive Presence. Unpredictable Movepool. Beautiful.

Hypno is often played wrong. It's pure and only ability is to check common threats which rely on sleep, such as Jynx or Offensive Pivot Roselia. With that in mind, it can act as a very reliable pivot, and pretty effectively spreads Toxics / T-Waves. That being said, it doesn't actually have that good of HP, leaving it as a subpar wish passer, far outclassed by other specially bulky wish passers. These include Audino and Lickilicky. As far as specially bulky utility mons go, it is still outclassed by Spikes Roselia and Resttalk Munchlax, both of whom absorb sleep better, as misplays on other members of their team can be ignored, and in general provide more support to their teams. They also have ways of dealing with setup sweepers in decently threatning offenses and a phazing move, leaving your team less susceptible to being swept.

TL;DR: Hypno is good at checking certain sets, primarily sleep inducing, but in general is outpaced completely by other specially bulky wishers e.g. Audino.

My personal favorite wall has and will always be Mandibuzz<3. Amazing Typing. Great Mixed Defenses. Amazing Offensive Presence. Unpredictable Movepool. Beautiful.
Hm, nice to really know what Hypno is best used for. Doesn't he get calm mind or something like that ? I'm half tempted to troll people with a sweeping Hypno xD
I could see him being decent, with what you said, being able to pass T-Waves fairly easily with no trouble and deal with sleep inducers. Hypno does have not the best HP, which is true, and I've used AUdino and Lickylicky, both of which are very good wish passers, but of the two, probably Lickylicky. I've got to try Roselia and Munchlax , because for one,I've never really used any of them, mainly because I never found a need to really.

I'd have to say my favorite wall would have to be Regirock. Regirock has impressive defense to tank hits for days ^_^ Only problem is, no reliable recovery and he's pretty weak to fighting, but nevertheless, he's saved me many times in a match, being able to resist facades and brave birds for a majority of the match. Struggles against Bravairy though, cause Brav has Superpower, so Regirock can't really wall Braviary that much. It however does wall Swellow and a majority of physical hits, can never be OHKO'd by any physical move, making him good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)