np: NU Stage 10 - Blackbird

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pinsir isn't "crap" these days, it just has to learn to adapt. SD / X-Scissor / EQ / Quick Attack is really good right now with all the faster, frailer threats running around, and it's much better than Scarf which I believe is what gives it a bad reputation in Stage 10. A lot of things changed after Jynx and Scolipede dropped down, but that doesn't mean it necessarily made anything worse. Let's take Jynx for an example: when she dropped, a lot of people thought she would shit on most Water-types thanks to her immunity. This wasn't true at all, since Water-types just learned to ADAPT to Jynx; for example, special Samurott now runs Megahorn, Gorebyss uses SubSmash with Signal Beam, etc. They didn't become worse, they simply took the new meta and learned how to work around it. It's the same thing with Pinsir: Scarf was the thing back then, but now it's not as good because of faster Scarfers everywhere. You have to find a way to keep Pinsir viable by using sets that AREN'T Scarf.

Aasgier, I never found any of the Pokemon you mentioned impressive in the first place, besides Gardevoir.

Arbok, while it could set up easily thanks to Intimidate and Coil boosting defense, was dependent on setting up and needed two boosts before it could really get going. +1 Arbok really didn't hit very hard as long as you resisted Gunk Shot, but even if you didn't, you could usually take a hit if you're bulky and at good HP. Arbok's base Attack was only 85 and it had to use Black Sludge instead of a boosting item, which made it pretty weak until it obtained multiple boosts. Arbok also relied on Sucker Punch to be faster Pokemon. In addition, set up sweepers not named Swords Dance Samurott, Swords Dance Scolipede, or Rain Dance Ludicolo tend to be poor in NU.

Pinsir was always a Pokemon that performed much better in theory than practice. Its strongest STAB being X-scissor made it surprisingly weak in many situations, it was slow, and very vulnerable in many situations because of its low Special Defense stat and numerous weaknesses. Pinsir also had some 4mss issues, as it wants X-scissor, Earthquake, Swords Dance, Quick Attack, and Close Combat. I also never really found Choice Scarf Pinsir good after the initial hype... it always ended up being walled by a lot things depending on what move it locked into so it couldn't effectively clean, and there are better revengers in the tier like Choice Scarf Rotom-S. Golurk being one of the best Pokemon in the tier was also not very nice for Pinsir, as it can easily tank any attack. That said, Pinsir is still pretty decent now.

Butterfree was (is) a pretty cool Pokemon. I don't think its viability was changed that much, although all of the Choice Scarf users we see today easily destroy it. It basically only has one chance to sweep with Quiver Dance, and it's easy enough to stop a sweep from happening. A support set is also pretty nice, but I question just how much utility it has. It should be decent enough to make a viable team with, and it still has the flaws it has always had.

Leavanny was kind of mediocre anyways. It has its uses but they're not so amazing.

Volbeat (you didn't mention it but it was talked about in this thread and it is a Bug-type) is really limited in what it can do, but it does it well. It's a good sun supporter and Tail Glow pass is cute, but never really works out as well as you'd want it to.

I don't think this metagame has hampered creativity/diversity much at all. Sure some Pokemon fall down in usage because they are somewhat out shined, but that's how a metagame works. Some Pokemon will increase in usage because they handle the top threats better, some will decrease. A little centralization isn't bad for NU either, but I don't think the new threats have really centralized the metagame in any way, except maybe Scolipede. You tend to naturally have a lot of checks to Jynx while preparing for other threats, and if your team happens to be really weak to Jynx in teambuilding, you can just throw on a Metang and it should work fine while checking a lot of other annoying stuff like Exeggutor.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You tend to naturally have a lot of checks to Jynx while preparing for other threats, and if your team happens to be really weak to Jynx in teambuilding, you can just throw on a Metang and it should work fine while checking a lot of other annoying stuff like Exeggutor.
I want to piggie-back onto this point since Jynx being overcentralizing in NU was brought up on IRC recently. The main Jynx checks are very adept at doing other things besides solely checking Jynx. Skunktank/Liepard keep the numerous Ghost and Psychic-types in the tier in check (Gardevoir, Musharna, Jynx, Exeggutor, Misdreavus, Golurk, Drifblim, Haunter, ETC). Kangaskhan acts as an offensive failsafe vs fast/frail threats with Fake Out and Sucker Punch. Audino, Munchlax and Lickilicky can sponge hits from almost any special attacker in NU. Metang and other Steel-types do well in checking the numerous offensive Normal-types in the tier in addition to all their other resistances. The point is: if you don't stumble upon a check to Jynx during teambuilding, you can either a) lose like you would to any other ignored threat, b) build a more solid team, or c) play around it creatively. Metagames fluctuate and change all the time; if you had told me back in Stage 0 that Carracosta was the best Shell Smash user in the tier, I would have laughed at you and asked if you had ever heard of Gorebyss. The metagame has to centralize around a group of threats, or else it isn't a stable metagame. In our case, it happens to be Jynx, Scolipede, and if I had to name a third, Sawk.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Writing here because why not. Mainly will be responding to DTC's post on Pinsir and adding something to the Jynx thing. First thing Pinsir, in my opinion, is actually a really cool Pokemon. I never understood why people would even use Scarf Pinsir since its STAB isn't that spamable and it's kind of slow for a Choice Scarf Pokemon. Anyways about Golurk being everywhere, that really doesn't hurt Pinsir at all. It probably helps it more than anything as its really easy for Pinsir to get a Swords Dance boost against it and OHKO with Earthquake (And get to +3 with Moxie). [+2 Earthquake vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Golurk: 364-429 (100.55 - 118.5%)] What separates it from Scolipede is that Moxie allows Pinsir to also be able gather momentum by just attacking and gettings KOes, racking Attack boosts as it goes. It also has more instant offensive presence without having to Sub to Swarm range and putting itself at risk of being KOed by Fake Out, priority, or being in Stealth Rock KO range. Pinsir being mono Bug-type is pretty cool too because it doesn't stack weaknesses with Poison-type Pokemon, in particular Muk and Garbodor, that can be good partners for Pinsir. Garbo can set up Spikes to make Pinsir clean up easier while Muk shares counters with Pinsir and can Poison Touch a bunch of them to make Pinsir's job easier. (Particularly Misdreavus, who can be a pain without the PSN) Plus Muk can use Memento and let Pinsir go for game easily which is manly.

As for Jynx thing, it is true that Metang and Kanga became more popular after the April tier shifts as well as the Speed tiers going higher. However, I wouldn't attribute everything to Jynx centralizing NU because Scolipede and Primeape would have stepped up the Speed tiers anyways and, like tennisace said, different Pokemon becoming popular is bound to happen regardless with major changes in the tier. Metang got better because now it has a top tier Pokemon to beat alongside everything else it already beat. Kanga now finds itself in a faster metagame with more frail offensive Pokemon being popular (Jynx, Scolipede, and Primeape) and Fake Out's utility is more useful. And so on.

Lol, how can I forget about Volbeat - I use Volbeat myself on a Sun team...

But even then, Pinsir certainly wasn't crap in Stage 8, used it with a lot of succes back then, and same for Leavanny, Arbok and a few other things that do nothing now bar stacking weaknesses with Scolipede.
Nobody really forgets about Volbeat or Illimuse(I think that is how her name is spelled) because they are really good at setting up weather with Prankster. Honestly, I think they do better in rain because they are bug type and they are more likely to die to a fire move in the sun,than they are in the rain. Too bad they are easily work down by SR, taking a chunk from their health every turn. You probably won't use a spinner, so you pretty much just either got to keep rocks off the field or just spinblock them.

Honestly, spinblocking is more effective than spinning in this tier,because the only decent spinners are Torkoal and Wartortle, the other ones are kinda eh. There is NFE's like Baltoy and Sandshrew,but they really aren't used much. Torkoal is pretty decent in my opinion, mainly because he is able to take a lot of hits,because of that really high base defense.

Honestly, taking 1/4 of your health every turn just to spin away rocks is not enough in the course of a match,because you will more than often be switching out to wall attacks of opposing pokemon, and if coupled with Toxic spikes,that means you will be poisoned and you will be taking the SR damage. Wartortle is not a good spinner either, well none of them are, but sadly Wartortle is the only one not weak to rocks atm. I hope next generation we get some good spinners introduced to NU,because then we can maybe have more viable spinners to use.

Just for the lulz, Delibird can use rapid spin..lol
Too bad he's 4x weak to rocks.

Well, what do you guys really think of spinners in this meta ? What is your favorite one to use ?

I never run a spinner but always run a TSpikes absorber.

The spinners just suck. Besides, most SR weak mons I use have reliable recovery or I lead with them, in which case I don't care about SR much.

And otherwise the spinner stacks weaknesses badly, which is never a good idea either.

Last edited:

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't bother using spinners. Usually it's easier to just avoid getting loads of hazards up on your side through offensive pressure, taunt, faster mons, and so on.

Anyways the reason I came to this thread is because I actually did have something I wanted to discuss here that I feel is pretty interesting and hasn't been discussed much if at all. Last night I was using Klang and somehow it came to mind that maybe sandstorm could be viable to use. With this in mind, I put together a team which I think is pretty cool and utilises sand stall as well as a sand sweeper (Stoutland). With the drops since January aka Stoutland, Scolipede (for fast spikes) and Mandibuzz (for overcoat and phazing and being generally amazing), sand stall could be somewhat viable now. I've been laddering with it a bit earlier today, and it's been loads of fun to use. Things like Weezing are an issue, and Zangoose can be to an extent but otherwise sand stall works pretty good in NU. There's also Probopass and Bastiodon but I think with the right spikes support and phazing they can be worn down.

How do you guys feel about this? Have you considered sand in this meta? Offensive or defensive? Or a mix? And which mons do you think are best at abusing it? Personally I think Cradily is really good since water mons aren't too uncommon and with a special set it can easily take out things like Regirock and Seismitoad which otherwise can be issues to a sand-based team.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Pinsir was always a Pokemon that performed much better in theory than practice. Its strongest STAB being X-scissor made it surprisingly weak in many situations, it was slow, and very vulnerable in many situations because of its low Special Defense stat and numerous weaknesses. Pinsir also had some 4mss issues, as it wants X-scissor, Earthquake, Swords Dance, Quick Attack, and Close Combat. I also never really found Choice Scarf Pinsir good after the initial hype... it always ended up being walled by a lot things depending on what move it locked into so it couldn't effectively clean, and there are better revengers in the tier like Choice Scarf Rotom-S. Golurk being one of the best Pokemon in the tier was also not very nice for Pinsir, as it can easily tank any attack. That said, Pinsir is still pretty decent now.
just wanted to point out that sd pinsir wreeeeeeeeeeecks

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Pinsir Earthquake vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Golurk: 364-429 (100.55 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

lo adamant is the only way to go. pair that mofo with some shit that it can boost on and some stuff to dmg misdreavus (sticking it with cb sawk seems neat, you can eq incoming missy + double to pinsir and sd on mushy, though maybe wanna run lum for dodging twaves). throw in the fact that you 2hko jynx and can pick it off at low HP with quick attack (plus you get a +1 just for koing it) and you can do similar shit to primeape and friends with a boost, and you have yourself a winner winner chicken dinner. most physical walls hate it too - you ohko tang after sr at +2, you cleanly 2hko alom even with lefties, you ohko 252/0+ regirock... this is cool shit guys

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
So I've treid it a good couple of times lately and I'd like to mention how well sun teams do in this meta. They have a very easy time outspeeding everything standard offensive teams usualy run and don't need that much power to break through the usualy pitiful special defence such teams tend to carry. Charizard has a perfect speed tier outspeeding the common 95's and vitreebell easily outspeeds the scarfed ones in sun. The coverage both provide can pretty much only be walled by munchlax, zweilous and dumb stuff like dragonair or flareon all of which are pretty uncommon. The fact sun teams can carry 2 different typed sweepers (grass and sun) and have access to a viable water type in cloud nine golduck gives them an advantage over rain teams both offensively and defensively. Offensively, so few can come in and outspeed both victreebell and charizard that you aren't too limited as in choosing support pokemon that resist those particular threats and can therefore build a solid core that sets up sun effectively.

So I've tried it a good couple of times lately and I'd like to mention how well sun teams do in this meta. They have a very easy time outspeeding everything standard offensive teams usually run and don't need that much power to break through the usually pitiful special defense such teams tend to carry.
Someone (jcm?) said on the IRC today that I don't talk about E-Belt Ninjask much anymore. So I'm just gonna put it out there that Ninjask beats up every Chlorophyll sweeper there is and gets home in time for cornflakes. It also has the speed to chip down Charizard, or stall out sun turns with Protect. I use it on OU teams, even, to provide a defense against the common archetype there. It's good, folks. :toast:

Charizard is weak to Ninjask, yes, since under the sun it is whittling itself down with Solar Power anyway.

Another problem I find to be there with Sun teams, is that having an SR setter has a tendency to hurt the team a lot, since there is no Sun sweeper that can run Stealth Rock, whereas Rain at least has Seismitoad.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
It doesn't have to be a Sun sweeper to set up Stealth Rock to avoid losing consistency. Custap Golem or Regirock can provide both Sunny Day and Stealth Rock fairly reliably, while also having Explosion to avoid wasting Sun turns (Due to Golem's lack of Heat Rock, it is best described as "the first wave", thus it is important to use Sunny Day after Stealth Rock). Probopass or Mandibuzz can provide Sunny Day and a slow Volt Switch / U-turn to bring the Sun sweepers in safely. Seismitoad often has to choose between Rain Dance or Stealth Rock if it wants to remain at high enough health for uninterrupted sweeps, so it is often up to a teammate to set up Rain Dance while Toad sets up Stealth Rock (some Toads forgo Rain Dance altogether), but not attacking with your Rain sweeper can still put the team's momentum at risk. I'd say Rain and Sun are fairly equal as far as support goes.

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be a Sun sweeper to set up Stealth Rock to avoid losing consistency. Custap Golem or Regirock can provide both Sunny Day and Stealth Rock fairly reliably, while also having Explosion to avoid wasting Sun turns (Due to Golem's lack of Heat Rock, it is best described as "the first wave", thus it is important to use Sunny Day after Stealth Rock). Probopass or Mandibuzz can provide Sunny Day and a slow Volt Switch / U-turn to bring the Sun sweepers in safely. Seismitoad often has to choose between Rain Dance or Stealth Rock if it wants to remain at high enough health for uninterrupted sweeps, so it is often up to a teammate to set up Rain Dance while Toad sets up Stealth Rock (some Toads forgo Rain Dance altogether), but not attacking with your Rain sweeper can still put the team's momentum at risk. I'd say Rain and Sun are fairly equal as far as support goes.
I have used a SR+Sunny Day Regirock before, and he works fairly well, providing two things for the team and then if he wants to explode, he can,but I usually prefer to keep Regirock alive, as he can wall a lot of things. Weather setters are pretty godo in this meta,especially sun setters,because sun has a lot of threats in it, not to mention Charizard, but pokemon like Eggy,Victreebel,etc. There are a lot of pokemon that benefit from sun,making it all the better. Although some are too slow to utilize it, it does help their speed if you ever wanted to use them.

I agree, I never use spinners,because honestly, spinners are not too important right now. Also, having a tspikes absorber is a lot better,because you can just absorb the tpsikes, which are more of a threat than SR is, unless your team is SR weak or you have Shedinja,who honestly isn't the best mon around. I have battled people that run Shedinja and no spinner,which makes me think, why even run Shedinja with no spinner ? I have never used him, so I don't know how he is in this meta, but from what I know, he isn't very good due to the amount of mons that get SR,which means you won't be having Shedinja around for long. Back to tspikes absorbers, I normally run Skuntank as mine,because not only can he trap ghost and psychic types,he can can hit back hard and absorb the spikes as well. I always run Lum Berry,which does work,because then you have a one time protection against misdreavus with Will-O-Wisp, and then you can just taunt and precede to pursuit trap.

lets get some discussion in here~

what do you guys usually use as your stealth rock pokemon? i tend to use golem and regirock. i really like ground gem golem as a stealth rock setter on offensive teams because it can pretty much always net an advantage from the start, unless the opponent has mold breaker sawk or samurott. the priority golem provides with sucker punch is also very useful. for bulkier teams, i like using regirock. regirock is extremely bulky, and does a better job maintaining its health throughout the match than most other pokemon with sr thanks to drain punch. thunder wave is also very nice, but regirock doesn't spread paralysis as well as other pokemon because it naturally invites ground-types in. the only bad thing about regirock really is that it is total golurk bait unless you use ice punch, but that isn't too much of a problem.

special mention goes to golurk who has very nice resistances for a pokemon with sr, and also hits pretty hard.

there are a lot of other nice pokemon that set up sr, like seismitoad, carracosta, piloswine, and metang, but i dont use them nearly as often for one reason or another.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
More often than not I find myself using Golem. It's usually because it provides two essential things in one spot: a Bird check as well as a Volt Switch absorber. By using Golem, I get to check quite a number of Pokemon at a time while also getting up my stealth rock. I can then free up a teamslot without having to fit in a Ground-type / Flying resist which I prefer to have. Sucker Punch is also a huge boon because I can some additional damage before I sac it, and it can take down unsuspecting Golurk, Eggy, etc. Its STABs are also really nice and cover quite a range of threats.

Apart from Golem, I've also used Seismitoad and Probopass pretty recently. The offensive sr Seismitoad is probably my favourite because I get to threaten out leads, set up rocks and smash whatever comes in. Its good matchup against nearly all stealth rock leads bar Cradily or Torterra or something really helps, and it can hold its own against Misdreavus that try to taunt it. It can also do quite some damage against ebelttross iirc and eel is an idiot so taking it down is nice. The extra speed also helps against opposing toad and other Pokemon that try to speed creep defensive toad. I've tried defensive stealth rock and it's not bad as well, though I really only use it on bulkier teams because I miss the offensive presence the other toad has (knock off and protect are really nice, though, since the former is knock off and the latter tells me what kind of predictions the opponent makes and stuff). As for Probopass, I really only use it if my team likes getting steel types out of the way. Tbh I find it inferior to the other two because without sturdy, I also am forced to play more cautiously when setting up sr and it doesn't really do much damage unless it's super effective. However, it's still not bad because it can check Jynx, flying types, trap other steel types, but as I mentioned I only use it if my teammates require it because I way prefer golem/toad's offensive presence.

Edit: damn forgot about Golurk. It's a really nice mon, spinblocking + electric resist + power + sr + ape check is REALLY great, though I find myself turning to golem more often than not for priority and the additional flying resist which is IMO harder to cover up with teammates than a fighting-type check. Golurk's really nice and I remember it used to be my favourite stealth rock setter until I started using Golem and Seismitoad, and then I started using different Golurk sets which probably distracted me to the point where I didn't use it quite as often.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Offensive Seismitoad is almost unrivaled as a reliable SR setter, it has positive matchups against nearly every SR lead in NU bar those with Grass moves, but it outspeeds the majority and has STAB Hydro Pump or Earth Power backed up with adequate Special Attack to KO them with. Golurk, Piloswine, Metang, Armaldo, Torkoal, even Scolipede, all threatened or dead turn 1. Its coverage is really nice as it has moves like Grass Knot which allows Toad to wreck other Toads and take down weakened Samurotts, Sludge Bomb to keep Grasses like Serperior, Tangela and Sawsbuck at bay (stahp using Sludge Wave), and there's still Earthquake for Jynx or Roselia if you want. Toxic and Knock Off are options but see more use on defensive Toad, which is also excellent as an SR setter in its own right.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
From my teams it's pretty much Golurk or Seismitoad exclusively. I also used to use Metang a bit but I deleted the teams for that recently as I had Metang only to deal with Jynx and now I've found other interesting ways to get around Jynx other than just throwing a Metang at it. Golurk is cool because it can fit SR on its CB set and opponents don't outright notice and just assume it's SR lead in general. It also has an awesome typing in this meta I think because for teams that rely on Sawk preventing SR it puts a stop to that (and is also good to switch into Sawk in general). Seismitoad is strong, pretty fast and has a good matchup versus most other SR leads in the meta (including Golurk - which is #1 in the lead statistics anyway). Seismitoad can also be good late game and isn't only good at setting up SR, since it can have a variety of roles in a team. Probopass is also p fun to use since it has a good defensive typing (just kind of sucks against leads but can easily find time to set up SR versus stuff like Kanga).

Seismitoad is a pretty fun setter, since his Water STAB gives him a pretty good matchup against most leads, and he still has a bit of utility outside that with your choice of Toxic or Knock Off. I'm not as fond of defensive sets, though, since once SR is up, he tends to have difficulty taking advantage of the small amount of damage he'll be taking. I'd rather use an offensive E-Belt set and also include something with enough bulk to switch in against any offensive threats.

Piloswine and Torterra are both pretty cool as well. Both of them have pretty awesome bulk, and they can use multi-hit moves. Piloswine also brings priority to the table, while Torterra has an awesome matchup against pretty much every physical wall that isn't Tangela. I've definitely had a lot of fun using both.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
My favorite Stealth Rock setters are Golem, Metang, Golurk, and Seismitoad. My normal go-to is Golem because I love its Ground-typing and its ability to keep Normal and Flying types at bay (and that Sucker Punch). I've never liked Custap Golem (I argued for the utility to remain a separate set in the updated analysis), since I usually keep Golem around for a good portion of battle to make use of its resistances and that lovely Electric-immunity. In fact, my favorite leads tend to be part Ground-type simply because it forces your opponent to think before they Volt Switch. Metang is my other favorite setter because of all its resistances (and being able to at least check Jynx is invaluable).

Speaking of Stealth Rock users, what do people think about SR Miltank? I think it is one of the only Stealth Rock setters that outspeeds Choice Band Sawk if you use Speed EVs (though I wouldn't) if you really, REALLY want Stealth Rock set up early. It still has nice utility with Heal Bell and Thick Fat (and the occasional Body Slam paralysis or Thunder Wave), and it has alright special bulk. Lately I haven't been seeing the support set (or Miltank even) all that often; in fact, for the August usage stats, Miltank usage has dropped 1.058%. Do people still find it good/useful?

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Actually, I use max speed positive nature seismetoad to outspeed adament sawk by like 2 points, so it can ohko with hydro pump before the sawk user expects to kill with cc. Yeah, it loses out on a little bit of bulk with no hp investment, but having a fast sr user that plays well against pretty much all s.r leads (barring cradily :eek: ) and sawk is really really awesome

My favourite lead/SR setter in NU thus far has been Marowak. with a little Spe investment it can outspeed and utilise Bonemerang to outright beat common Sturdy/ Ground- weak leads such as Golem, Gigalith, Probopass/Bastiodon, and Metang. It has great physical bulk and thanks to Thick Club it can hit very hard with little investment. In fact I think it pretty much has the jump on every common lead/SR'er bar Seismitoad and Golurk (who again, will still take lots of damage from Bonemerang).

elchupo said:
My favourite lead/SR setter in NU thus far has been Marowak. with a little Spe investment it can outspeed and utilise Bonemerang to outright beat common Sturdy/ Ground- weak leads such as Golem, Gigalith, Probopass/Bastiodon, and Metang. It has great physical bulk and thanks to Thick Club it can hit very hard with little investment. In fact I think it pretty much has the jump on every common lead/SR'er bar Seismitoad and Golurk (who again, will still take lots of damage from Bonemerang).
The problem with Marowak is that when it is seen in team preview, no one in their right mind would lead with one of those SR mons. They would lead with something that can outspeed and KO it, which isn't hard due to Marowaks's frailty and its base 45 speed,

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Golem has been one of my go-to Stealth Rock setter for a long time. I mostly use the bulky spread for Golem as it can checks Normal- and Flying-types so well, although sometimes I use a faster spread with Custap Berry on more offensive teams such as Sun teams. Annoyer brought this up when we were discussing about Sun teams on IRC and since then, I never went back to Regirock. Although it might miss Sucker Punch, Rock Blast and Earthquake are pretty much what Golem needs for coverage, and having the possibility to set up Sunny Day before Golem goes down is fantastic.

Piloswine is another great Stealth Rock setter, resisting Ice-types move with Thick Fat and being immune to Electric-types. Piloswine's STAB are also really good offensively as only Bronzor resist them in the tier. The bulkier spread is my personal favorite to use, as Piloswine can now take hits way easier while being able to strike back with a strong Earthquake.

I can see Stealth Rock Miltank also having it user since it is one of the few Stealth Rock setter that can deal with Grass-types, which can be really useful for teams who can't afford having more weakness to Grass-types. Miltank also has good support moves like Heal Bell and a great base Speed, making it a great supporter for its team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)