Nonsense Theorymons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ice/Rock Mega Ampharos With Wonder Guard and Parting Shot

My idea with this was to make the ultimate pivot. Basically, you switch it in on a predicted attack that wouldn't be SE, and proceed to use either some sort of support move such as Thunder Wave or Heal Bell and then switch out with either Parting Shot or Volt Switch. As the opponent is forced to use a move that is super effective or switch out, you can easily bring in whatever counters that pokemon the best, creating a ton of momentum! Additionally, if you run a -speed nature with 0 speed IVs, you can absorb whatever status move that a defensive pokemon is using, allowing you to switch in allies without worries.
There's no way I can accept this yet. Despite being a terrible type, with Wonder Guard, it can cover every weakness of Wonderflora perfectly. Once Wonder Clause is in effect, I may accept it. Not likely though, it sounds too strong for WG.

Magic Guard Butterfree with Spore and Baton Pass

Butterfree's magic wings are so magical that they let Butterfree safely avoid Stealth Rocks, bane of Butterfree, if only Butterfree would wished so. As for Spore, Butterfree loves powders of all kinds (on level 12 it learns Stun Spore, Poison Powder, and Sleep Powder), so why not have a 100% accurate sleep move (after all, Butterfree already has 98.5% accurate sleep move, so why not buff it a little). With all neat support moves, Butterfree asks for some move to send all those neat stuff onto the team (and avoid evil Pursuit), which is why it uses Baton Pass.

(making PU mon good OU supporter... yay!)

Magic Guard Butterfree with Spore and Baton Pass

Butterfree's magic wings are so magical that they let Butterfree safely avoid Stealth Rocks, bane of Butterfree, if only Butterfree would wished so. As for Spore, Butterfree loves powders of all kinds (on level 12 it learns Stun Spore, Poison Powder, and Sleep Powder), so why not have a 100% accurate sleep move (after all, Butterfree already has 98.5% accurate sleep move, so why not buff it a little). With all neat support moves, Butterfree asks for some move to send all those neat stuff onto the team (and avoid evil Pursuit), which is why it uses Baton Pass.

(making PU mon good OU supporter... yay!)
Read the OP more carefully please. Only one of each kind of change. Plus, Butterface needs a LOT more than Magic Guard, Spore, and Baton Pass.

Rock/Flying Articuno with Drizzle and Power Gem

Because it already gets Hurricane, needs a better typing, and needs an actually useful Ability. Also, I want actual competent STAB Power Gem on something. Gave serious consideration to Primordial Sea, but it's got the same statline as Zapdos, just distributed differently, and even with Thundurus and Thundurus-Therian around Zapdos remains a useful Pokemon, so Articuno doesn't need that much to be fixed.

Also it took me way to long to remember that I wanted to do an Articuno entry

Rock/Flying Articuno with Drizzle and Power Gem

Because it already gets Hurricane, needs a better typing, and needs an actually useful Ability. Also, I want actual competent STAB Power Gem on something. Gave serious consideration to Primordial Sea, but it's got the same statline as Zapdos, just distributed differently, and even with Thundurus and Thundurus-Therian around Zapdos remains a useful Pokemon, so Articuno doesn't need that much to be fixed.

Also it took me way to long to remember that I wanted to do an Articuno entry
I'm not convinced Power Gem is competent w/o Technician. Also, I'm not sure what Drizzle does for it. Yeah, Hurricane gets perfect acc., but Thunder and water will be problematic for it.
You can just post these in our conversation if you want.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey DialgaTheTimeLord , while I am fine with a council conversation or whatever it is. I think it would still be good if council members and you gave their own submissions in this thread! People would be able to view them and not get surprised by them. Also it'd be fair as they can't just submit more than one. (Which I think is fair). It's your meta, so it's your choice but I think it would be good.

I'm not convinced Power Gem is competent w/o Technician. Also, I'm not sure what Drizzle does for it. Yeah, Hurricane gets perfect acc., but Thunder and water will be problematic for it.
You can just post these in our conversation if you want.
Power Gem does not benefit from Technician, as it is 80 base power. You are thinking of the move Ancient Power.

Ice/Electric Aurorus with Boomburst

Easy, a slightly better defensive type that helps make aurorus more resistant to priority, but still pretty meh, and an amazing offensive type (with either option) that hits a huge proportion of the meta super effectively and almost all of it neutrally. Boomburst is a massively powerful STAB with refridgerate that can even 3hko chansey with a life orb and basically 1hkos anything else thats neutral, and even some frailer resists like bisharp. Rock polish boosts its speed to a level where it can outspeed most non-scarved offensive mons and sweep :o

Avalugg is now Flying/Dark with Aerilate and Quick Attack

Flying/Dark works as a sizeable upgrade for Avalugg, it gives him 2 more resistances and 2 immunities, while keeping the Stealth Rock weakness as a restriction for its durability, however it still has recovery via Recover, the newly acquired unblockable Rapid Spin is also a nice boost to it, Aerilate can work as an offensive boost too with Double-Edge or Return, Quick Attack works too pick up on weakened foes and does well on AV sets (If you want to run one of those). Avalugg is here for all your Physical Walling needs.

Hey DialgaTheTimeLord , while I am fine with a council conversation or whatever it is. I think it would still be good if council members and you gave their own submissions in this thread! People would be able to view them and not get surprised by them. Also it'd be fair as they can't just submit more than one. (Which I think is fair). It's your meta, so it's your choice but I think it would be good.
Council members are still restricted to the rules, but I see your point that people will still want to see them.
My suggestion for this round was Ghost/Normal M Houndoom with Dark Aura and Aura Sphere. It gets a great defensive and offensive type, and an ability that gives it pseudo-STAB on Dark moves. Aura Sphere gives it coverage against Dark types, which it has problems with.

Power Gem does not benefit from Technician, as it is 80 base power. You are thinking of the move Ancient Power.
For some reason, I thought it was 60 power with perfect acc.

Avalugg is now Flying/Dark with Aerilate and Quick Attack

Flying/Dark works as a sizeable upgrade for Avalugg, it gives him 2 more resistances and 2 immunities, while keeping the Stealth Rock weakness as a restriction for its durability, however it still has recovery via Recover, the newly acquired unblockable Rapid Spin is also a nice boost to it, Aerilate can work as an offensive boost too with Double-Edge or Return, Quick Attack works too pick up on weakened foes and does well on AV sets (If you want to run one of those). Avalugg is here for all your Physical Walling needs.
This thing could be scary defensively. I like it.

Ice/Electric Aurorus with Boomburst

Easy, a slightly better defensive type that helps make aurorus more resistant to priority, but still pretty meh, and an amazing offensive type (with either option) that hits a huge proportion of the meta super effectively and almost all of it neutrally. Boomburst is a massively powerful STAB with refridgerate that can even 3hko chansey with a life orb and basically 1hkos anything else thats neutral, and even some frailer resists like bisharp. Rock polish boosts its speed to a level where it can outspeed most non-scarved offensive mons and sweep :o
This thing sounds pretty cool actually. I always wanted Aurorus to get BoomBurst.

Whoops, reread the OP and saw the part about abilities replacing everything else. Ah well, not going to change the submission.

EDIT: So I assume next round is open?

Psychic/Fighting Reuniclus with Simple and Vacuum Wave

It can now setup to +6 with just 3 Calm Minds, and then it just rips things apart. You can run Shadow Ball for coverage against psychic- and ghost-types, or Vacuum Wave to take care of Dark-types trying to revenge-kill.

Last edited:
This thread is to list the 'mons that this pet mod currently includes. There just wasn't enough room.

Round 1: Humble Beginnings

A leaf in the wind.
Example set:
Return
Close Combat
Leaf Blade
Swords Dance

Aerilate gives Leafeon great coverage in Return, as well as solid priority in Quick Attack. Leaf Blade is it's true STAB, but Return will probably overpower it in most cases. Close Combat covers pretty much all of its remaining problem types. Swords Dance can let it sweep if it gets a chance. It can run Synthesis for recovery, but it still has a bad type for being defensive. A scarf set can work pretty well, or a band for wallbreaking. An AV set is feasible for it's mediocre SP Def, but isn't necessarily the best option.

Pretty in pink!
Example set:
Life Orb
Return
Quick Attack
Swords Dance
Sacred Sword

While its attack is fairly underwhelming for a 'mon running an offensive set, PixiTurn still hits like a truck, Quick Attack is powerful priority, and it gets solid Fighting type moves. A choice item could be useful to fix its mediocre speed and attack, but isn't a must. Also, while its defense may be a concern at first, it can still take a hit. It has problems, but it's a very useful 'mon that will see a lot of use.

Very niche is an understatement. But it's there!
Example set:
Thousand Arrows
Uhhhh... any ideas?

Really, it's extremely niche. However, it's a great Magnezone trapper, and both pairs well with and can take on Skarmory. Really, any Poison moves would be purely for STAB, and its other moves would likely just be filler.

I've rocked them all!
Example set:
Stealth Rock
Shadow Ball
Will O Wisp
Wish

Very useful for its ability to SR pretty much anything. While it doesn't get remarkable speed, it's still usable, and can act as a sort of suicide lead with a Scarf (I think I'm using the term right). It can burn with Will-o-Wisp, heal and support with Wish, and hit with Shadow Ball.

The real kung fu panda!
Example set:
Poison Jab
Toxic Spikes
Parting Shot
Knock Off

Parting Shot pairs very well with Regenerator, which is why Regenerator Parting Shot Blissey will never happen. Toxic Spikes isn't too useful, as one poison type switches in (Pangoro), and they're gone. However, against a team without one, it can be useful if you get a couple layers down. Poison Jab is STAB and can poison, which is nice. KOff is there for utility, though it doesn't get STAB anymore. It can run Brick Break for screens, Circle Throw to stop setup sweepers, Gunk Shot for more power, Drain Punch for some recovery, Swords Dance to sweep, though it lacks priority of any sort and has terrible speed. It can work well as a physical wallbreaker thanks to its high attack. It has a pretty good deal of options, overall.

haha lol wonderflora
Example set:
Luster Purge
Giga Drain
Petal Dance
Leech Seed

A Pokemon with 11 immunities is pretty threatening... until you realize it's a Sunflora. However, despite its terrible type, which suffers from a Hurricane and Blizzard allergy, 11 immunities is still 11 immunities. And while its bulk is barely mediocre, its special attack is through the roof, so if it gets a chance, it can wall break with powerful STABs. Giga Drain and Leech Seed can sustain it on a "bulky" set, though Wonderflora still wants to avoid damage rather than heal it off. Leaf Storm is probably a better option than Petal Dance in reality, as usually Wonderflora doesn't want to stay in long, but if you want to avoid the stat drop, Petal Dance can work. Wonder Guard's switch-forcing ability could let it use Toxic well. Synthesis can be used for immediate healing, though you'll most likely want to use Giga Drain as you want to do damage whenever you can.

Because screw 50% accuracy.
Example set:
Inferno/Zap Cannon
Blizzard
Dynamic Punch (for pink blobs, though Superpower could work...)
and some other move...

Focus Blast can work, but wouldn't be too useful outside of an AV set. Rock Polish may work on a forced switch, but it lacks starting speed, and may require more than one. Amnesia is a bad idea, as any special attacker without Psyshock (haha lol Sacred Sword) or a high power SE move is usually caught in a bad position anyway, esp. on an AV set. Curse can slowly boost your defense, while also boosting Dynamic Punch as a bonus, and the speed drop could be beneficial on a Trick Room team, but the increases are still small and Regi still lacks recovery. A hail team could benefit from Hail, but Regi itself won't get much benefit until its Hidden Ability is released.
And no, Regi doesn't get Ghost STAB.

Dang right, you're getting sleepy!
Example set:
Hypnosis
Hurricane
Psyshock
Moonlight

Hypnosis is pretty much the entire purpose of this 'mon. Perfect acc. sleep with a hard-hitting STAB is very useful. Psyshock is, of course, for blobs, and also helps versus Regice. Moonlight helps it utilize its bulk, and works well with Hypnosis. Its main issues are a Stealth Rock weakness and a slow speed. Investing in bulk is a definite, as it needs the HP, and its speed is low. It has good HP and Sp. Def, so a defensive set is feasible as well, with Heal Bell, Moonlight, perfect acc. Toxic, Hypnosis, of course, Thunder Wave, and perhaps Healing Wish. One interesting gimmick would be a Wonder Room set to screw with Special walls, but it still gives them a free turn. Dream Eater is still not recommended, as few people would risk keeping a Pokemon around when it's asleep. Future sight can be used to force a switch eventually, and deals heavy damage.

Round 2: THE BIG ONE

At least it's not Slow Start.

The iron maiden.

Ice to meet... uh, he'll give you the cold shoul... no.
I got nuthin'.

Tae-kwan-duck!

Extreme Killer Arcanine!

The fastest slowest thing ever!

Spikes 'n stuff.

These two are connected:
STAB Boomburst and blocks Boomburst. Perfect.

STAB Boomburst = 2 lowd 4 goasts.

Does this Ground typing make me look fat?

Why, Arena Trap!? Why would you leave me!?

She's a fighter!

Now with life-sucking conch helmets!

Mmmmm, fugu!

The last bug you'd want to hit your windshield.

Not the Rock Lobster, the Iron Lobster!

The coffin must be made of mirrors or something.

The Roc type. Because something needs a use for Power Gem.

Bringing the thuder. And the lightning.

Makes complete sense. What are you talking about?

Return of Technoduck!

This is not the place to submit 'mons. Do so here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-submissions-playable-on-aqua-server.3525954/

Last edited:
Whoops, reread the OP and saw the part about abilities replacing everything else. Ah well, not going to change the submission.

EDIT: So I assume next round is open?

Psychic/Fighting Reuniclus with Simple and Vacuum Wave

It can now setup to +6 with just 3 Calm Minds, and then it just rips things apart. You can run Shadow Ball for coverage against psychic- and ghost-types, or Vacuum Wave to take care of Dark-types trying to revenge-kill.
Interesting. Simple might need to be watched, but it sounds worth a try to me.

Fire/Grass Sudowoodo with Flare Blitz and Magic Guard

Basically a straight upgrade to Sudowoodo that has zero respect for flavor. Sudowoodo needs the upgrade -or better yet an evolution, but that's not what this Pet Mod is doing.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well if Ghoul King submits again I assume this is the next round :]

Water / Poison Rhydon with Heal Order

Rhydon really needs a better typing and Water / Poison is pretty good! It also gets moves of both types already, which is cool, so I don't need to spend my move slot on that (It gets Aqua Tail and Poison Jab). Heal Order is another thing it really wanted, as it had no way of healing itself outside Rest. This would be a cool viable Pokemon on defensive or balanced cores as it can set Stealth Rock, check a ton of physical attackers, shuffle with Dragon Tail, or even pose as a win condition on stall teams with a Swords Dance + Heal Order set. Another cool thing is that it can't be Poisoned, which is amazing for a defensive Pokemon. It's ability Lightningrod actually has a purpose now, which is cool and that's basically it. It shouldn't be OP due to low Special defense and weaknesses to Ground and Psychic, but would be a nice Pokemon for balanced, bulky offensive or stally teams and would be fun to try in general.

Well if Ghoul King submits again I assume this is the next round :]

Water / Poison Rhydon with Heal Order

Rhydon really needs a better typing and Water / Poison is pretty good! It also gets moves of both types already, which is cool, so I don't need to spend my move slot on that (It gets Aqua Tail and Poison Jab). Heal Order is another thing it really wanted, as it had no way of healing itself outside Rest. This would be a cool viable Pokemon on defensive or balanced cores as it can set Stealth Rock, check a ton of physical attackers, shuffle with Dragon Tail, or even pose as a win condition on stall teams with a Swords Dance + Heal Order set. Another cool thing is that it can't be Poisoned, which is amazing for a defensive Pokemon. It's ability Lightningrod actually has a purpose now, which is cool and that's basically it. It shouldn't be OP due to low Special defense and weaknesses to Ground and Psychic, but would be a nice Pokemon for balanced, bulky offensive or stally teams and would be fun to try in general.
Nice submission! BTW, is the new code added yet?

Mega Audino gets Unware and Earth Power.

Mega Audino got really a bad mega for singles, so I really am just delivering what needed to happen, Unaware is a rare and excellent ability having a way to block opposing boosts is also a great boost if you want to run a CM set, Earth Power is there for coverage but you could go for Fire Blast in a set.

Sample sets:

Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Earth Power
- Draining Kiss
- Wish

Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Dazzling Gleam

Dark/Poison Malamar + Prankster + Poison Jab or Gunk Shot
I don't think Malamar is so powerful as is that this would overpower it. It has the ability to possibly shut down a sweeper with Topsy Turvy, if it can safely switch in. This is especially useful as revenge for a teammate who fell to a sweeper. However, this still comes at the cost of a teammate, or some other opportunity. Its Dark/Poison typing gives it a much better type, though its weakness to Ground is fairly common. Poison Jab or Gunk Shot gives it STAB on Poison type, which has good synergy with Dark type.

Snaquaza

KACAW
After the wave of theorymons, I saw a problem in this system. Tagging DialgaTheTimeLord as it's important for him to see.

Right now, there are a lot of Theorymons. It might be good as it shows that the Pet Mod is popular, but I digress. It causes a lot of changes to the metagame, while now it doesn't matter much as the Theorymons are still limited, new Theorymons will keep to be added. Eventually this metagame will end up being a "Theorymon Metagame" instead of being the OU metagame with Theorymons. If this is the goal of the Pet Mod, that's fine, but it didn't seem like it to me.

This will give a few main problems.
  • The theorymons that are submitted are meant to influence the OU Metagame, which is the most known metagame, so easy to submit cool stuff for. This causes Theorymons to be "bad" for the Theorymon Metagame as they're not meant to be in it. They might be overpowered or useless, depending on the idea.
  • It's way harder to get into. If you have a list of ~10 Pokemon that have been changed and are now influential. This is fairly easy to view and easy to learn, as you will probably have an idea of what they all do. If you have a metagame of a lot of changed Pokemon, it'll be confusing as you don't know what each individual Pokemon does, so it'll be hard to battle and get into the tier.
  • Eventually there will be so many Theorymons that you can't submit others without changing an old one.
This is an annoying problem in my opinion, as it's not too easy to fix. I have a few suggestions though
  • Reset all Pokemon every round. It's too bad if there's a Pokemon that didn't get used a lot, or was very fun, but this is the simplest solution.
  • Select a few Pokemon at the end of each round that can stay, while the others go away. This will still build up a Theorymon Metagame, but slowly and allows us to keep the best Pokemon.
I think I missed some points, so I might edit later. This is certainly a problem with this meta though.

After the wave of theorymons, I saw a problem in this system. Tagging DialgaTheTimeLord as it's important for him to see.

Right now, there are a lot of Theorymons. It might be good as it shows that the Pet Mod is popular, but I digress. It causes a lot of changes to the metagame, while now it doesn't matter much as the Theorymons are still limited, new Theorymons will keep to be added. Eventually this metagame will end up being a "Theorymon Metagame" instead of being the OU metagame with Theorymons. If this is the goal of the Pet Mod, that's fine, but it didn't seem like it to me.

• The theorymons that are submitted are meant to influence the OU Metagame, which is the most known metagame, so easy to submit cool stuff for. This causes Theorymons to be "bad" for the Theorymon Metagame as they're not meant to be in it. They might be overpowered or useless, depending on the idea.
  • It's way harder to get into. If you have a list of ~10 Pokemon that have been changed and are now influential. This is fairly easy to view and easy to learn, as you will probably have an idea of what they all do. If you have a metagame of a lot of changed Pokemon, it'll be confusing as you don't know what each individual Pokemon does, so it'll be hard to battle and get into the tier.
  • Eventually there will be so many Theorymons that you can't submit others without changing an old one.
This is an annoying problem in my opinion, as it's not too easy to fix. I have a few suggestions though
  • Reset all Pokemon every round. It's too bad if there's a Pokemon that didn't get used a lot, or was very fun, but this is the simplest solution.
  • Select a few Pokemon at the end of each round that can stay, while the others go away. This will still build up a Theorymon Metagame, but slowly and allows us to keep the best Pokemon.
I think I missed some points, so I might edit later. This is certainly a problem with this meta though.
IIRC the original idea was to have two "metas" for this. One would have only the current theorymons, to see how they stack up against OU. The second would have all the theorymons that have been approved so far, and is basically just a giant omgwtflol fest.

Like FlameUser said, I want to have two separate metagames, but I wasn't planning on having so many so early that it would change so drastically, and I didn't want to take up so much room on your server, so I was planning to find someone else for one of the metas. If you have room though, having both in one place is nice, but I can ask someone else if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)