Gen 6 No Megas/Legendaries/Mythicals Challenge - Pure Hackmons

Hello Everyone! I would like to give a short introduction of myself before the team since this is my first post on Smogon Forums. Because it's my first post, don't expect anything too pretty. I like playing Pure Hackmons. I started July of 2020 when it was just a one month ladder using a team I stole. Instantly I became hooked and fixated on this format and have been playing it ever since. In case you are not aware, gen 6 PH is transitioning to gen 7 soon. So I thought it would be fun to challenge myself before it ends. As the title of the post states, my rules were simple. No mega pokemon. No legendary pokemon. No mythical pokemon. Without further need for introductions, I would like to present my team.

PokePaste:
https://pokepast.es/3037b7832ac31f17

The Team itself and the Process:

Blissey (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Whirlwind
- Wish
- Chatter
- Trick

Without any hesitation, the first Pokemon (or Ability, rather) I wanted on the team was imposter. With how much random stuff there is on the ladder nowadays this was nigh-necessary for scouting movesets. I went with Eviolite Chansey at first, then later swapped to Scarf Chansey to bluff the Eviolite before ultimately deciding that I didn't care for bluffing my opponent and chose Blissey instead. Imposter was mainly used for scouting sets as aforementioned although it did prove useful in KO'ing mons that I lacked a reliable switch-in to, such as Mold Breaker or mons with coverage for both my Wonder Guards. The moves on Blissey hardly ever came into effect unless the opponent was behind a Substitute. In that case I had Whirlwind to phase them out and also Chatter for mons with Taunt. Wish was my recovery move that could also heal my team a great deal if needed and Trick was to rid my Scarf.

Spiritomb @ Flame Orb
Ability: Wonder Guard
Level: 2
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 212 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Curse
- Pain Split
- Magic Coat
- Baton Pass

Level 2 Wonder Guard Spiritomb does great at racking up easy wins on the low ladder and is just as effective on high ladder. Being level 2 with 76 EVs in HP allows spiritomb to have exactly 15 HP. This is the ideal value because you take exactly 1HP of damage to things like rocks, burn, leech seed, etc. Flame Orb is there to prevent other status like sleep. The combination of Curse with Pain Split allows for doing massive damage to almost any opposing mon in a short amount of turns while always healing to full because of being such a low level. Originally I had Psycho Shift but I found this thing to get Taunted rather often so I made the switch to Magic Coat. Baton Pass for insanely slow pivoting whenever I predicted a switch and also helping me continue SubPassing, which I add later.

Escavalier @ Shed Shell
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Defog
- U-turn
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

For my second Wonder Guard I chose Escavalier for its great typing, defenses, and slow speed. It played a support role of Defogging away hazards as well as getting my own up. I went with Rocks out of fear of Focus Sash Mega Rayquaza. U-turn was my pivot move due to its STAB and being super effective on common switch-ins like Huge Power Mega Gyarados or No Guard Deoxys Speed, as well as still hitting Mold Breakers and breaking a potential Sash. Shed Shell so I don't get trapped and then KO'ed by Groudon-Primal or occasional Encore + Perish Song Users.

Slaking @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

There wasn't too many great options for Mold Breakers with my restrictions so I was basically forced to go with Belly Drum Slaking. This thing is a monster and even a competent player can lose to it in the blink of an eye. It's rather self explanatory, click belly drum and then click Espeed, or Sneak on Ghost types. Originally I had Drain Punch as the last move to get HP back but I found leftovers was enough by itself especially when paired with King's Shield. I could also cripple -ate users like Diancie and other FakeSpeed mons with King's Shield. Some Tips on this... don't set up if the opponent has imposter, and you have to weaken Giratina as +6 Sneak does around 65%.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 80 SpD / 180 Spe
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Curse
- Milk Drink

I wanted a SubPasser on the team so I could get Slaking in safely. Magic Bounce Aegislash worked really well because it couldn't be phased out or taunted. Bouncing back other annoying moves like sleep moves and Gastro Acid on No Guard is also great... and I figured a second and even more reliable Curse mon wouldn't hurt as Spiritomb couldn't really heal with Pain Split if the opponent is behind a Sub. 180 speed EVs allows for baton Passing out and avoiding Pursuit from Standard Huge Power Mega Gyarados.

Umbreon @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Spiky Shield
- Will-O-Wisp
- Wish

I was stuck on what to add for the final slot. This Umbreon set was an idea I got from aerobee. It serves as an alternative to Poison Heal Mega Gyarados and Yveltal, which I couldn't use, and honestly this thing is just as good. Foul Play does great damage on Huge power/Shell Smash mons while Will-o-Wisp cripples their moves without lowering the power of Foul Play. Spiky Shield further cripples physical attackers without dropping their attack like Kin's Shield does. Wish heals Umbreon as well as Slaking or Imposter or whatever else may need it. I worked the EVs so that Umbreon hits 300 defense and just dumped the rest into SpDef. Umbreon really surprised me with how much is was able to tank. it lives +2 Thousand Arrows from Adamant Groudon-Primal, +2 Sky Plate Oblivion Wing from Modest Rayquaza-Mega, and pretty much anything that isn't a Close Combat from Huge Power Mewtwo-Mega-X. MVP for sure.

Final Words:

With this team I was able to peak at 1781 on the ladder with a 91.8% GXE and a final record of 60 Wins - 2 losses
I didn't find very many threats or counters to this team on my climb but here is some things I would play carefully around. Tyranitar-Mega resists both Extreme Speed and Shadow Sneak from Slaking as well as Foul Play from Umbreon while also threating Aegislash. Opposing Imposter can be scary if they become Slaking. Watch out for Gastro + Pusuit on Spiritomb. Oh, and this team is very weak to something that has Fairy + Fire + Fighting coverage in one, like a potential Huge Power Mewtwo X or Protean Latios however I never encountered this. My losses were just due to me playing poorly and underestimating my opponent. Never underestimate your opponent!
Other than that I don't have much else to share, thanks for reading and feel free to use this team while you can or even make your own with this challenge.

quick shoutouts to aerobee, Rose, and Destinyation
(I don't know how to link their profiles sorry lol might edit later)​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)