OU no longer just a stepping stone // ORAS OU Resource Thread

I'm Dragon Claw and I'm here to share my best teams. With those you get better. Or you throw them in your teambuilder for the one time you're playing oras in your life. These teams are mostly optimal although each and every team has it's own strengths and flaws. Use them as you like I don't care about credit or anything. Teams are not "mine" to begin with. I'm going to become the indisputable number one oras player, not of all time but in that moment, by end of SPL XII and giving away what I relied on to win is a stepping stone for me. This thread is one for you too if you wanna get better

Click screens for pastes, not every team of the 35 is new, sometimes you end up with known 6 because they're optimal. I'll mention something below the teams if I feel like it, I won't explain evs. I'm adding a replay of either highladder or a tourgame to every team, sometimes there might still be an umbreon but you'll face similar unmons in smogon tour or seasonal rounds. It's just the first replay I upload w the respective team, no "I win every game" cosmetics. Maybe they'll be helpful hence I'm adding them. Enjoy

#1 - MMeta Breloom Azumarill - replay

mega evolve early, watch out for glisc, amoon mu is rough, plenty of fun and outplay potential. lum on loom is optional. Great for laddering because of prio spam

#2 - MMeta Breloom Crawdaunt - replay

same as above, craw>azu, better against fat teams, worse against other BOs, keldeo matchup shifting from decent to annoying is recognizable

#3 - MMeta Breloom RotomW - replay

same style, better against bo's

#4 - MMeta Crawdaunt RotomW - replay

less breloom more consistency, fire ice torn to not weaken craw knoff, coverage is appreciated more than additional item remover on this sorta team anyway. You'll see fire ice more than once.

#5 - MMeta Clefable Crawdaunt v1 - replay

great team, has been built and played by various people over the past ranging from 2016 to today. Use this version for high level tournament games

#6 - MMeta Clefable Crawdaunt v2 - replay

use this version for seasonals, early st rounds, ladder

#7 - MMeta Excadrill KyuremB - replay - replay

OUPL Semifinals, kyuremb destroys bulky offenses for a living

#8 - MMeta Hippowdon Dragonite - replay

replay showcases the team pretty well

#9 - MSciz Magnezone Weavile - replay

looks like stall, playing feels like playing bulky offense. work w ur trappers

#10 - MSciz Bisharp Serperior - replay

ended up the same as abr's team. team lives and dies by your rotomw skill

#11 - MSciz Bisharp Azumarill - replay - replay

webs woohoo, my spl w4 team

#12 - MDia Talonflame RotomW - replay

use your rotom-diancie core smartly, get rid of clefs lefties asap to apply pressure

#13 - MDia Weavile RotomW - replay

more consistent, less good against scizor.

#14 - MGarde Weavile RotomW - replay

mgarde underrated do some damage calcs yourself, plenty hard to build around, this team gets some real good matchups against some tour teams

#15 - MGarde Crawdaunt RotomW - replay

tested an unusual garde which worked out extremely well, watch out for ferro, garde lives weav cb icicle, tect speed gain and scout super clutch

#16 - MMedi Hydreigon RotomW - replay

ada medi has 656 attack just saying

#17 - MMeta Weavile RotomW - replay

ended up the same as spl ix wolfpack semis team, it's the replay too. one or two sets might be diff, core's the same

#18 - MMeta Weavile Suicune - replay

also ended up like an abr team, he used the 6 in stour top16. Not going to mention this anymore, the core of this bunch of teams just looks like the abr special overall

#19 - MMeta Weavile Latias - replay

focuses on bringing meta in as many times as possible

#20 - MMeta Bisharp Latias - replay

felt like the prime opportunity to test out xray's dumb bisharp set. i don't know about sub>ihead but lefties sure are genius

#21 - MMeta Ferrothorn Jellicent - replay

not too fond of this style personally but spikes + spinblock work well enough to farm some teams while some mus are rly hard to play and require some fishing like the testgame replay vs garay oak

#22 - MTar Heatran Tangrowth - replay

couldn't find a better opposing team this'll have to do. dead hours oras ladder.This one's good but you'll have to juggle your mons carefully if faced with status spam

#23 - MZam Tyranitar Skarmory - replay

having skarm as exca backup opens up stallbreak glisc. Sand + Spikes + spinblock + pursuit + 2 magic guard mons

#24 - MMeta Volcarona RotomW - replay

dead ladder hours. these were pretty common in 2018, I didn't play at that time but I watched a lot of replays. Watch out for other mmetas

#25 - MMeta Weavile RotomW - replay

similar but icier, superpower torn works v well in this environment

#26 - MMedi Tangrowth Sand - replay

built this team for my good friend persephone for oupl finals. Kai the Medicham remember the name. Also watch the replay. mb exca and modest tom are great curveballs and have been working super well

#27 - MMeta Magnezone Garchomp - replay

chomp set catches a lot of people offguard, works nicely w magnezone

#28 - MMeta Magnezone Gyarados - replay

nasty paraflinch team

#29 - MMeta Bisharp Alakazam - replay

psychic spam. similar to xray's offense, you'll see it below. shock zam gets some great mus against teams that rely on tornt too much

#30 - MMeta Heatran Jellicent - replay

Heatran bulky offense. Jelli tran is actually a super annoying utility core

#31 - MMeta Heatran RotomW - replay

same team better against meta and azu

#32 - MMeta Bisharp Azumarill - replay

xray offense. ended up with the same 6, simply a great team

#33 - MAbsol Victini Azumarill - replay

Mega Absol is actually a hidden threat, can be super threatening esp with final gambit tini. It's not even ada but has 399 atk, +2 sucker hurts anything and it ends teams that rely on clefable/rotomw cores to beat dark types since they're usually only laid out to beat weavile.

#34 - MAbsol Manaphy RotomW - replay

similar, more centered around fucking up balances

#35 - MOBAMA SEMIROOM CRAWDAUNT - replay

finishing with a banger and the realest team. Don't give hazard setters free turns. Mega Aboma is incredibly strong and has no switchins on the majority of buky offenses.
(i'm editing replays for the last 10 teams later)
Not sure whether I'm going to expand this or not. Ideally this serves as an ORAS Hub for people to post and discuss teams, usage stats and replays. You see a lot of MMeta Garchomp RotomW itt cause it's the strongest most consistent bulky offense core oras has to offer. Standard is good. Feel free to post submissions, maybe I'll tend to them (I'm usually down to test wild ideas). It's important for me to keep having fun and testing new stuff in the tier I enjoy so join me in the adventures of oras teambuilding. If you're new to the tier post and ask anything you want to know, this thread will become your stepping stone too.
:shelgon:
Here are my three favorite teams of mine of last SPL to close out this thread. Send me replays of you playing the teams. Have a nice day everyone
replay w2 w3 w8

Last edited:
This thread is a gold mine. As a beginner, it pushed me to get interested in this tier and the huge list of teams showcased allows all players to grasp the metagame and its trends. Seeing teams created by other accomplished players is a nice addition to the thread too. Hope more people will see this thread and enjoy discovering it just as I did!

P.S: We all need a replay of the abomasnow team.

As I promised at the end of spl I'm going to share a vast amount of resources for you guys to work with.
Maktyum nice timing, I'm happy that what my post from 9 months ago offers made you go out of your way to post something that nice. However if my post above is a stepping stone then this thread is about to become an entire staircase. Hope you enjoy. This post includes 4 types of resources:
  • all teams I constantly keep in my builder; the most consistent winning teams, optimized in sets and spreads
  • a general chart of oras including every single mon viable enough to ever see any kind of use
  • a list of good places with oras replays including a pretty big list of alts that used to play in oras high ladder back when it was current gen
  • a dump of literally everything regarding sets and teams I was able to compile out of my personal resource channel, I didn't bother counting or anything, might be hundreds or thousands of teams and sets

MY TEAMS
top to bottom from HO to Stall
click on the images to get the pastes, I'll be explaining ev spreads and non-standard sets.

Scizor's fast enough to outspeed max speed neutral base 70s and max speed starmie after webs. More speed is unnecessary so rest evs go into hp and 4 into def for uneven hp. Don't forget to change technician in your calc because of light metal. Gengar's taunt-dbond is extremely good at trading but also serves as an emergency button against threats like opposing bisharps. Bisharp jolly Lo to beat as many Gliscors as possible. Azu's fast enough to outspeed standard Clefable's and get a BD hp number. Thundi-T's ev spread lives timid Charizard-Y's Flamethrower from full and outspeeds Lopunny-Mega after webs.

Hoopa's psyshock to deal as much dmg to avtorn as possible since it's actually a threat on it's own against meta exca rotom torn bulky offenses. Mana spread lives specs latios draco, the 4 spd additionally decrease odds of avtorn hurricane confusion haxing you. Enough speed to outspeed Lop and Mane after webs, rest spa.

Diancie's Ancient Power because it appreciates as much defensive stats as possible on this build while not needing dstorms power. Volc spread lives MMeta ZHB + BP while outspeeding scarflandorus. Bish needs to be av on this team not only to trap latios but to act as counterplay to zapdos which would otherwise fog on serp to prevent screens from going up without ways to act against it. Brick Break's needed to beat opposing Bisharps and works nicely vs opposing screens. Lando Yache vs Medi and Meta or elecs like mane and thundi. Serp needs glare to para zardy to enable manaphy. Not being able to run taunt results in the aforementioned av bish. bish spreads lives +3 mana from full.

Medi's bp to prevent dia from abusing medi. Tpunch to kill slowbros. Exca lives Mmeta eq, outspeeds timid tran and lives a variety of things such as non-lo thundi focus blast, 2 clef flames w 1 spike and rocks up, 2 torn heat waves, some unboosted scalds etc. Rotomw outspeeds Adamant Mega Scizor so it's able to burn it before sciz gets the hit off. Smack down over knock on torn to counter volc, weav gets to knock things anyway.

Medi bp to prevent dia kills again. Volc outspeeds timid tran. rest evs def get maximized value out of volcs stats. Av bish to not only prevent latios from picking w draco but to trap it while you're at it. spread lives +3 modest mana w rocks, a volc fire blast from full, opposing +4 bish sucker and more. lando has less speed ivs to get the slowturn vs other landos. needs rock coverage to act as a onetime volc-sweep deterrent w rock tomb being prefered choice since it's so effective to counteract pokemon that are trying to set up on it such as gyarados-mega. played in spl w5.

bish's same as above except it outspeeds spd tran on this build so mana and volc calcs aren't the same. However you're still not getting 2hkoed by specs latios surf + rocks. lando's toxic for slowbros which helps lop, tomb's not needed w lop being really good vs targetted set-up sweepers.

lmeta bb to counteract screens, damage drop from no hammer arm doesn't matter much on this team. volc evs get 5 subs, def lives pinsir qa. azu lives +1 altaria return from full and tanks special sweepers. lando needs to be yache to not lose vs medi. Rotom's fast enough to outspeed jolly crawdaunt. Latias lives mmeta icepunch + rocks, spa investment breaks +0 cune sub to guarantee getting the wave off. played in spl finals.

roost isn't needed on this type of build and overheat ko's plenty of stuff straight up like maxmaxspd gliscor. trans fast enough to outspeed standard rotomws, landorus, other heatrans and generally most stuff in the same speed tier. I elaborated on gliscor weav in my rmt w the same core. Tang is leech to help w other glisc and meta primarly but it generally serves as a really nice tool. played in spl w3.

Manec's faster than +speed base 100s pre-mega, evs live dia moonblast w rocks. talon spd lives 2 zardy attacks. Ferro's helmet to act as pseudo lopunny counterplay. evs make ferro live fake+hjk so you're getting 3 rounds of barbs+helmet which basically ohkoes the bunny. Otherwise this team would be too weak against it. wave helps to keep cm clefs in check. BKC and I pointed out a few things about the gliscor set here. Tbolt on mie is needed to help against water type set-up mons that don't care about status such as rd mana or sub cune. played in spl w8.

RMT'd the team, visit here.

Worry Seed on tango to actually beat//force out Gliscor. Same with Ice Dia. Tar lives a +1 volc buzz after rocks. Exca's mold breaker to add counterplay against rotomw which is needed a lot on tangrowth sand teams. Evs live 2 clefable flames, non-lo thundi blast and similar stuff. sludge wave>toxic on volcanion to not get walled by altaria and/or clef. played by bkc in smogon tour 30 r1.

Meta needs tpunch to break slowbro teams, also helps vs mana. Suit obviously enables keldeo. icefire clef hits both of glisc and ferro at the same time. Exca outspeeds banded ttar but also everything else below. Rotom's maxdef to counter zen meta as well as possible, leftover evs are in both spa and speed bc zen roll doesn't change anymore. Other exca stuff is mentioned somewhere above.

Read up on above teams if you want to know about weavile gliscor core. same for exca evs. ferro lives 2 modest +3 mana ice beams. Mola's evd for both of Keldeo and Metagross. played in spl semis.

Clef kills Gliscor from full thus serves as a counter to SD Gliscor. 16 speed to speedcreep other cm clefs. Exca evs are mentioned somewhere above. Mola actually uses ebutton which allows for a guaranteed scizor trap even if they're uturning. Furthermore it helps getting Dia in which is usually hard to do. Mola's evd to counter metagross even w virtually no item once eb has been used. played in spl w1.

Sciz outspeeds magnezone after it's been knocked by ferro. Slowbro lives a zardy solar beam and twaves. Heatran's set is incredibly annoying for a bunch of teams to deal with since gliscor simply dies to 2 fire blasts which means it can't switch in. Clef also dies in 2. ev'd to outspeed the majority of gliscors and if they're faster than you'll be able to tell by damage rolls. used in spl w7.

maxed out clef helps as much against sd gliscor as possible considering latias will not always counter longterm w suit around. ferro outspeeds twaved positive base 100s such as medicham. Gliscor attack kills bisharp w a spike I believe. Night shade jelli wins vs non-giga volc and protect is used to scout vs pursuit users. Torn lures tar and nets a safe kill vs bish. I hate dropping cane on torn but if there's a team that can justify doing so it's this one. The spread sure looks dumb but your offensive coverage of heat wave and superpower is most important here, making spd calcs less relevant. You're still more than bulky enough to take on threats like gengar. Enough speed to outspeed scarftar.

Finally. A stall that doesn't lose to medicham. Or to weavile longterm. Doublade and mola make an amazing defensive combination that paired w quag zap and chansey is simply made to beat all offenses. pressure zap fog is usually enough to prevent ferro from laying down it's hazards. alt runs eq to counter heatran instead of wasting it's moveslot on dd which never really ends up sweeping even if you were to pair it w zone. Calm Mind Chansey beats Manaphy as long as you're not getting crit. If you're playing optimally mana will only get around 3-4 chances to actually crit. Mola's spread is explained above, Zap is ev'd to fend off +2 Pinsir.

the OR/AS Chart

as mentioned at the start any mon ever worth playing is included here no matter how niche it is. the mons are ordered by viability at the start but as soon as the chart enters "3rd choice territory" the margin of viability is so close that it doesn't matter anymore. At the beginning there's the general metagame, then descending to "2nd Choice" including all pokemon that are either hard to make work or those who have fallen out of favor. Anything below is niche at best but can potentially grab matchup victories because of their respective distinctive traits. Generally this will help you teambuilding since it's a very easy and convenient way to see the entire tier at once.

OR/AS Replays

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spl-xii-replays.3676213/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spl-xi-replays.3658653/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spl-x-logs-replays.3645759/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spl-ix-logs-replays.3624592/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/spl-viii-logs-replays.3592101/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-world-cup-of-pokémon-2019-replays.3650498/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-world-cup-of-pokémon-2018-logs-replays.3634230/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/world-cup-of-pokemon-2017-logs-replays.3606412/
as well as smogon tour playoffs threads and circuit playoff threads in their respective forums.
If you're interested to see what ORAS looked like back when it was current gen, here's a compiled list of a lot of players that used to play high ladder. You can effectively look at their teams and replays by using this tool: https://fulllifegames.com/Tools/ReplayScouter/
Instead of gen6ou you simply write "OU" into the bar. This works well because they changed the current gen ou format name into gen7ou in gen7 which essentially allows you to look at old oras replays only when you're entering "OU". The tool needs some time to load especially on alts that have a lot of teams and replays saved so be patient with it. This is the list of alts: https://justpaste.it/9i6cx

teams and sets dump
https://justpaste.it/9flbe
a compiled list of pastebins and pokepastes, I have genuinely no idea how much you'll actually be able to find in there, I wasn't lying when I said there's hundreds/thousands of sets and teams in there. Enjoy your time scrolling through the pastes, picking up whatever catches your eye.

All of this is a terribly huge amount of input but I'm glad I was able to get this down. People like you Maktyum are why I thoroughly enjoy sharing with this community. I think ORAS is absolutely fantastic and it just stays being fun especially when there's people who share the same enthusiasm. I hope you enjoyed the read and maybe this now serves as a real tool for players to get to know and understand gen6 better. What a damn fun gen ORAS is. Have a nice day, stay safe and don't forget to enjoy what you're doing n_n

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)