Sports NFL Thread: 2022-2023 Season

Carolina in full tank mode with the CMC trade. Hate to see him go but we got some decent draft capital for the future new coach to work with. If we can keep our young core somewhat happy (Moore, Burns, etc.), we can still have a respectable roster assuming we don’t miss the mark on the QB we decide on in the draft.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Had the chance to follow along with some more games yesterday, and… well, let’s just say it’s not our fault that this thread can be a bit inactive at times. Most teams have played at least ten games by now, and so far the only entertaining stories have been Seattle overperforming without Russell Wilson and at least half of the AFC consisting of poverty franchises. And here we were thinking the AFC West would be good this year. If anything they’ve gotten worse, and the fact that Denver hasn’t played to a tie yet this season is genuinely surprising (leads the league with three OT games so far this season while having the lowest scoring offense).

This is your friendly reminder that the Colts could have been 4-5-2 at this point in the season btw

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Inhaling my copium of an 8-2 record and the Bucs getting BTFO by the saints in 2020 and then winning the Superbowl despite the fact that the score was fucking 40-3

View attachment 470160

Just got done making this chart through this current moment in time based off of records against the point spread :D

(Source: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/trends/ats_trends/)
I don’t know anything about betting. However, the Super Bowl “contenders” are still the Bills, Chiefs, Eagles, Cowboys. There are a few dark horses, such as Miami, Cincy, and San Francisco. I reckon the Super Bowl and conference championships will feature teams from that list.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
I don’t know anything about betting. However, the Super Bowl “contenders” are still the Bills, Chiefs, Eagles, Cowboys. There are a few dark horses, such as Miami, Cincy, and San Francisco. I reckon the Super Bowl and conference championships will feature teams from that list.
Betting isn’t necessarily an area I was ever interested in, even if I was allowed to participate. It’s more so that the point spread is the best possible measurement tool we have in regards to how teams are expected to play each week compared to what actually happens. Either way, one thing’s for sure. I don’t want San Francisco to screw up my playoff bracket again…

So I just now noticed I technically double-posted without realizing I did, so if anyone would like me to merge the two posts together, just let me know. Sorry about that. :)

Last edited:

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
View attachment 452972

Tie games in the NFL are controversial, to say the least. I can only think of two times when the fanbase generally agreed that a tied game would be fun to see. There was last year's Week 18 matchup between the Chargers and the Raiders that everyone who wasn't a Steelers fan wanted to see, and there was the 2012 games between the 49ers and the Rams, whose first game ended in a tie and whose second game could have made history for the entire league. The tier list I've made above is a collective list of how many tie games NFL teams have been in since the introduction of overtime in the 1974 season. Teams located further to the left in each tier, excluding the "No Ties" list, reached the tier they currently sit in more recently than teams further to the right in descending order.

I must say, as controversial as they are, the statistics behind the games like Sunday's 20-20 AFC South matchup are incredibly fascinating to me, and I think the meme-ability of a rare sports occurrence makes up for what could have been. Some teams even have what I'll be referring to as a tienasty, a play on "dynasty" that pretty much means they had so many ties during a smaller period of time.

Here's some other fun facts about NFL tie games that you may not have known. (Yes, I know I keep editing this post and adding to it, there's just so many of these I keep forgetting):

• Since the introduction of overtime, no NFL team has ever finished a season with multiple ties on their W-L-T record
    • For anyone who's curious, the 2018 Cleveland Browns currently hold or are tied the record for most overtime games played in a regular season after having already tied in a previous one, with three; the team's overtime W-L-T record ended as 1-2-1
  • The 1988-89 Kansas City Chiefs are so far the only teams to finish with an overtime tie on their W-L-T record in consecutive seasons
    • The 2021-22 Pittsburgh Steelers just recently had a chance to do this as well, but could not get it done against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday; this conveniently keeps all of my below points still intact
    • Coincidentally, both tie games for the Chiefs were road games
  • All four of the Cincinnati Bengals's tie games happened:
    • In the 21st century
    • Against NFC teams
    • In even-numbered years
  • So far, there are only two pairs of NFL teams that have overtime ties against each other, and they are:
    • The Green Bay Packers & the Minnesota Vikings (1978, 2013, 2018)
      • Coincidentally, all three tie games were home games for the Packers
    • The Cincinnati Bengals & the Philadelphia Eagles (2008, 2020)
    • As mentioned above, the 2012 San Francisco 49ers & St. Louis Rams are excluded from this list because their second game did not end in a tie despite both of the teams' meetings going into overtime that year
  • Since the 2012 NFL season, which implemented the field goal rule change into regular season overtime games, there has been one tie game every season so far except for the 2015 and 2017 seasons
    • Suspiciously, the advent of multiple ties in their following seasons (2016 and 2018) helps keep the average at one tie per season
  • The last three of the four total times multiple overtime tie games occurred in a season (1997, 2016, 2018) had said games happen in consecutive weeks
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_tied_games
Source: https://www.espn.com/nfl/standings/_/season/2018/view/expanded
2022 Week 1 Colts/Texans game:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401437637
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_tied_games
Source: https://www.espn.com/nfl/standings/_/season/2018/view/expanded
2022 Week 1 Colts/Texans game:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401437637
2022 Week 13 Commanders/Giants game: https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401437880

You have got to be kidding me. Where in the world did this come from!? Now I had to go back and update that freaking chart again. I had the Giants winning this one, and... sure, they beat the point spread, I guess...? This wasn't exactly what I had mind, though. (Also, if anyone's curious, I don't actually gamble/bet on these games, I just like to pick them for fun. I've mentioned this a few times recently so I wanted to clarify.)

sigh Here's the newest edition of the chart. Lemme go get it real quick...

1670190863669.png

(Teams ordered in each tier by how recently their last overtime tie game occurred)

Of all the games this week I though could maybe end in a tie... maybe the Chargers/Raiders game because of what happened at the end of last year, but this? This is kind of stupid. Also, why did this have to be an NFC East game...? I only had two loss picks for the division up to this point, and now I have to add an ugly two ties to that because this just had to be a divisional matchup. (For those unaware, a divisional matchup ending in a tie does actually count for two ties for the division's total W-L-T record, one for each team that participated. This wasn't a mistake.)

Last edited:

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
The Patriots need a new offensive coordinator so badly. They do not have the offensive line talent necessary to run whatever this weird shit is. But also, who the fuck is going to be their coordinator? I feel like the well of Shanahan Nerds has dried up completely, I don’t think there’s anyone else left. No one to get excited over. But I guess just competent would be fine at this point.

New England is in a pretty precarious situation with their offense. They’re in the middle of a super competitive division and they sadly can’t just fire Patricia and Judge in the middle of the year. Not to mention, any replacement for them would essentially have to kiss up to Belichick and management, like Jim Saturday’s doing for the Colts front office.

They absolutely should fire those clowns at the end of the year. Too early and gameplans could get confused. Too late and not even Belichick would save that locker room. Fuck, even Mac Jones turned on those two last week. I just don’t think some collegeball coach they’re looking at would want to be a yes man for Belichick, and that’s what the front office would probably want so they can be sure Patricia’s and Judge’s mistakes(?) aren’t repeated.

Tough situation. One they knowingly got into though.

Also, when they fire those two, can we throw McDaniels in the dumpster with them? Asking for a friend.

Watching the usually dominant well run teams like Patriots, Packers & Steelers flail around with mediocre QB play and incompetent offenses has been so cathartic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)