Zweilous @Eviolite
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 248 HP / 200 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Roar
- Dragon Tail

I noticed Banded and Scarf Zweilous were already posted, and I honestly don't find those sets too appealing because with Hustle you're going to be locked into a move that at the most only has 80 accuracy. It's not fun to miss with offensive Zweilous when you need it to do the opposite. Personally, I really like the Specially Defensive set posted on the site right now. A lot of things in the tier can hit Zweilous super effectively due to its typing, but it also gains key resistances and an immunity because of its Dragon / Dark typing. It resist Fire, Grass, Water, Electric,Dark, and Ghost attacks while it's immune to Psychic which is great considering how common those types are offensively. It even has great defensive synergy with Metang who works as a solid check/counter to Jynx, one of the biggest threats to Zweilous, while also setting up rocks so that Zweilous can start phazing.

In my experience, Zweilous more often than not uses either Dragon Tail or Roar when using Sleep Talk. Dragon Tail is a little risky because with Hustle, it's only hitting slightly more often than Focus Miss, but it really works on this set. This set needs to be paired with something that get set up hazards to get the full effect of Zweilous's phazing. What really attracted me to this set and EV spread is the fact that Zweilous out speeds Alomomola, which means it can get off a Roar or Dragon Tail with Sleep Talk before Alomomola get get off a Wish or Toxic. Overall, I really like Zweilous in this meta. It's just really fun to use.

Regime

the party is December 18th
is an Artist Alumnus

Marshtomp (M) @ Eviolite
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

This Marshtomp set is supposed to fit in with a balanced team, working as a somewhat phazer, uses Yawn, and then either getting a Pokemon Asleep, or Stealth Rocks up. This set works well with Sap Sipper Miltank, as it is so uncommon, the switch in is unexpected. Waterfall can be substituted for Scald if you are the type who likes to burn Pokemon, also helping with Marshtomp's uninvested Defense.

Beyond belief, this set is very bulky, and can sponge special hits for Pokemon like Alomomola, from Pokemon like Haunter or Specs Exegguttor.

-snip-

Beyond belief, this set is very bulky, and can sponge special hits for Pokemon like Alomomola, from Pokemon like Haunter or Specs Exegguttor.
That sounds kinda dubious. Even if you start with the assumption that an opposing eggy used Psychic instead of Leaf Storm, it still has a solid chance to 2HKO this set- after SR and 1 layer of spikes, it's guaranteed. I guess you could maybe force it out with Yawn, but then you just lost your special tank, and they got out basically for free. As for haunter, this set falls to the SubDisable variety, but I guess it does do a decent job of dealing with others.

Really, I'm not seeing what this brings to the table which can't also be accomplished by another mon.

Regime

the party is December 18th
is an Artist Alumnus
That sounds kinda dubious. Even if you start with the assumption that an opposing eggy used Psychic instead of Leaf Storm, it still has a solid chance to 2HKO this set- after SR and 1 layer of spikes, it's guaranteed. I guess you could maybe force it out with Yawn, but then you just lost your special tank, and they got out basically for free. As for haunter, this set falls to the SubDisable variety, but I guess it does do a decent job of dealing with others.

Really, I'm not seeing what this brings to the table which can't also be accomplished by another mon.
It has its purposes. Not all pokemon can completely wall others. Some other walls would fall to the same pokemon. Dont be so quick to judge, and use it for yourself

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It has its purposes. Not all pokemon can completely wall others. Some other walls would fall to the same pokemon. Dont be so quick to judge, and use it for yourself
A lot of Grass-types switch on Alomomola since they risk absolutely nothing, and most Electric-types run Hidden Power Grass so I can't see why Marshtomp is a good partner for Alomomola.

Also, could you please tell us what Marshtomp brings to the table other than sponging one Psychic from Choice Spec Exeggutor?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Marshtomp: (Water/Ground) 344/206/(264)/140/(393)/136
Seismitoad: (Water/Ground) 414/206/186/206/273/165

Marshtomp - Physical Bulk: 90816 | Special Bulk: 135192
Seismitoad - Physical Bulk: 77004 | Special Bulk: 113022

Bulk is just a raw measure I use to quickly determine how well a Pokemon can take hits, multiplying the HP stat by the Defense stat. Marshtomp's defense stats are in parenthesis because I factored in Eviolite. As it turns out, Marshtomp is 17.9% bulkier on the physical side and about 19.9% bulkier on the special side than Seismitoad. However, this does not factor in the lack of recovery for Marshtomp. A big argument against Seismitoad in the tier is how it doesn't have a reliable recovery move, and instead relies on Water Absorb + Leftovers to gain back some health. Marshtomp doesn't even have those, so any damage it takes has to either a) just be taken and then not recovered, or b) Wished back to health by a teammate (you say Alomomola, I could name some better fits for that job). The former isn't ideal because Marshtomp will die incredibly quick to all kinds of random stuff, and the latter means you're forced to switch out, which means your special tank is not on the field!

By the way, I used Sassy when calculating Seismitoad's stats. It's still faster than Marshtomp, which goes a long way to outspeeding certain threats like opposing Alomomola and slower variants of Exeggutor. In addition, Seismitoad can use Scald over Waterfall, which has the same damage output as Waterfall from Marshtomp does but with an added 30% chance to burn and do an extra 12.5% damage each turn.

So yes, it's bulky. And yes, I did just waste like 15 minutes responding to you even though you refuse to back up any statements with proof other than "it works for me!!". That doesn't mean Marshtomp is better than Seismitoad at all, and should tell you that bulky doesn't always equal good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)