Hoopa-Unbound @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Fire Punch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Psychic

This set aims to make the most of Hoopa-Unbound's incredible mixed wallbreaking potential. Hyperspace Fury alone is incredibly powerful and becomes a nuke as Black Hole Eclipse. Pokemon that can tank it, such as Magearna, Mega Scizor, and Tapu Bulu are smashed by Fire Punch. This also serves as a lure which enables the removal of checks to Ash Greninja and Zygarde, among other threats. Moving on to the Special Attacking side, HP Ice is used to get KOs on Landorus-Therian, Zygarde, Gliscor, Garchomp, etc after Stealth Rock damage. The increase in damage compared to Psychic is critical because many of the aforementioned Pokemon can survive Psychic on the switch and proceed to outspeed and KO Hoopa-Unbound. Psychic is the optimal move for breaking through Clefable, Rotom-Wash, Physically Defensive Tangrowth, and Fighting-types in general.

For those concerned about the Tyranitar matchup:
252 Atk Hoopa-Unbound Black Hole Eclipse (180 BP) vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 158-186 (43.7 - 51.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Hoopa-Unbound Hyperspace Fury vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 88-104 (24.3 - 28.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock

12.5% (rocks 1) + 12.5% (rocks 2) + 43.7% + 24.3% = 93%, assuming absolute minimum rolls.
...even Tyranitar can be broken through after a couple switches with Stealth Rock up.

Replays:

Last edited:

Blackstar - David Bowie

Thank you everyone for another cool week! While the number of submissions were low, they're all excellent submissions, so keep up the great work!

== @
==
== Z-Snatch by nameless90 ==
==
@
==
== OTR by Steel With It ==
==
@
==
== Mixed AoA by JTD783 ==

I'll give you until tomorrow to vote. Now I should apologise in advance if this or any other of my projects begin to become inactive, as my exam season is in the near distance, so I'm going to try study my ass off for these exams. I don't intend to kill any of my projects but I will keep them as active as I can considering. I hope everyone can understand my predicament and bear with me for the next few weeks. Stay tuned and Happy Posting!

Blackstar - David Bowie

Thank you everyone for another excellent week of voting! This week's winner is our Mixed Wallbreaker by JTD783 ! Your submission will be added when I get the chance. I'd like to also apologise for another delay, i've had some schoolwork as well as a potential project that i've been working on. Like I said last week, activity on my end will be slowing down thanks to the yearly exam block and later a promotion course, so I'll be the first to admit that the next few weeks might be disappointing, but i'll try my best to keep these threads active.

Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie

This week's "case study" will be Mawile! Mawile has recently returned to the spotlight by proving itself to be one of the tier's quintessential breakers, as it possesses the ability to singlehandedly break past bulkier builds with minimal support, due in part to its terrifying Swords Dance set, which has not only amplified its wallbreaking capabilities, but it has also provided Mawile the ability to simply ignore many of its common checks, the most common of which include Heatran and Landorus, which both fear a boosted Sucker Punch, so much so in fact, that many variants of Heatran have now opted to run the admittedly fantastic option of Will-o-Wisp to bypass its horrifying Sucker Punch and invalidate many of its other checks, including Zygarde, Latios and Gliscor. The combination of these unique and certainly fantastic niches lead many people to realise just how fantastic Mawile is, resulting in its incredibly high usage throughout the OLT and has even lead to people to claim that Mawile is indeed the best Mega Evolution in the tier, stealing the spotlight from both Mega Alakazam and Mega Latios, thanks to its unparalleled wallbreaking potential with its Swords Dance set. However, Mawile also possess many other key features that have admittedly been vastly overlooked by a notable amount of players, for instance its incredible bulk, its stellar movepool, and its fantastics stats, which makes it a great contender for the Next Best Thing! Can you find a set that can leave an impact as huge as Mawile's power?

=== @===
Here are this week's banned sets!
Submissions end on Friday the 7th! Until then, Happy Posting!

Last edited:
Specially Defensive Mega Mawile

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch

Mega Mawile has decent defensive typing with respectable 50/125/95 Bulk, allowing it to actually take several hits.

This was a set I took from the ORAS Uber, where Mega Mawile was banned to and sort of used to check Xerneas. In USM OU, Specially Defensive Mega Mawile is able to take hits from Mega Alakazam, Tapu Lele, and Tornadus-T. Mega Mawile is able to threaten Mega Alakazam with a powerful Sucker Punch, KO Tapu Lele with Iron Head and threaten Tornadus with Thunder Punch. The reason we're not using Ice Punch on this is that Specially Defensive Mega Mawile shouldn't be used to check Gliscor, Landorus-T or Zygarde, and with Play Rough you can already do a large amount of damage to Zygarde and Gliscor.

The HUGE drawback about using Specially Defensive Mega Mawile is that it has absolutely no recovery, which makes Heatran (which has Lefties, more utility moves, doesn't take a Mega slot, can use a Z-Move) or Magearna (better bulk, able to pivot with Volt Switch, doesn't take up a Mega slot) a better option. However, Mega Mawile is a physical attacker with a wider movepool, which kind of separates it from the above 2, which are both more specially offensive. Running Specially Defensive Mega Mawile can surprise opposing MegaZams or Magearna, although it comes at a cost of a Mega slot and less power.

SR Mega Mawile

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock

Mega Mawile can run SR in order to ensure you are able to lay down this hazard throughout the game thanks to the pressure coming from its Atk stat, ability and priority move. We can lay down SR on a predicted switch-out.
Mawile is forced out anyways with relative ease, but the combination of SR + Sucker Punch allows us to overwhelm a good chunck of revenge killers.

EVs spread is the same of the AoA set.

Magnezone (in a double Steel core) is a good partner in order to get rid of Defog Mega Scizor and Skarmory.
Also, a way to get rid of Landorus-T is mandatory to prevent us from being destroyed by Earthquake.

Last edited:
Sub-Punch Mega Mawile
Mawile-Mega (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Iron Head / Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Focus Punch
I see people occasionally run focus punch on the AoA sets, but it's really prediction-heavy and it feels super bad to focus punch a Lando-T. Substitute alleviates prediction at the cost of priority but really, I don't like sucker punch on non-SD sets anyway. It lets you safely ohko Heatran or 2hko Pex (which cannot break your sub with scald) with thunderpunch.

The really nice thing about substitute Mawile is that it forces what you need to lure, to stay in and die. A lot of other lure sets are prone to getting scouted on, but it's preeeeetty hard to scout vs something with 678 attack and perfect triple coverage while behind a sub. Scarf Lando-T's are forced to earthquake you and sap momentum, Mew can't just wisp on a sucker punch anymore to beat you, Gyro-less Ferro is actually free fodder, this set pretty much guarantees a kill vs fat cores and fucks up your opponent's momentum really well.

Replay vs mega zam balance. Mawile comfortably blows up a Heatran to open up a Volcarona sweep opportunity.

Pair with SubSwarm Volcarona + Rotom-W, enjoy your free wins.

Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
Thank you everyone for participating yet again! I apologise for the lack of updates, but I've been half-assedly studying for the past few days and I'm about to fully commit to studying, so I'd like to apologise for the relative inactivity that will ensue. I have also been working on a few other projects, which has only delayed the progress of this very fine thread. This week's voting phase will be postponed until next week, just to follow the usual schedule of the project. Thank you everyone for understanding and I'm very sorry for letting everyone down once more.

Life On Mars? - David Bowie

This week's "case study" is Heatran! Since we last covered Heatran, the meta has drastically shifted under its influence, with the most notable responces being the rise of Alakazam and Latios, both of which possess the capabilities to completely invalidate most variants of Heatran. As a result of that, we saw mellowyellowhd's submission become one of the best sets in the current meta, as it enables to break past many of Heatran's common switchins, including the aforementioned Alazakam and Latios, in addition to Zygarde, Tyranitar and even Gliscor with absolute ease. If you want a metagame evaluation on Heatran, you'll have to wait for some time, as i'm somewhat busy at the moment, but I will say that it's still fantastic, as it continues to contort the metagame around it. In case you were wondering why I've chosen Heatran as our "case study" once again, I'll be honest by saying that there's no sole reason. rather, it's a combination of the fact that it's not only one of my favourite 'mons in general, but it also possesses an almost unrivalled amount of potential and even the metagame evolving around it, which are hopefully good enough reasons for everyone to participate this week.

Here are this week's banned sets:

--
|
|
|
|
|
--

Until next time, Happy Posting!

Last edited:

Algeria

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii~

Heatran @ Groundium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

Groundium allows Heatran to do significant damage to Tyranitar, Toxapex and OHKO Heatran SpD while hitting hard Alakazam-Mega.

252 SpA Heatran Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 214-254 (70.6 - 83.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
(Spread indicated in the calc)

252 SpA Heatran Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 80 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 256-302 (70.9 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Heatran Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 168 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 256-302 (66.8 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Heatran Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Heatran: 544-640 (141.2 - 166.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Heatran Tectonic Rage (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Alakazam-Mega: 183-216 (72.9 - 86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Heatran @ Binding Band
EVs: 200 HP / 52 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Protect

This is a cool Heatran set that was first used by Eo in SPL. Binding Band is used to increase the residual damage output of Magma Storm by 4.16% per turn, culminating in an extra 8.33% across two turns with Protect. Still faces competition for it-s item slot but it'sstill fun since it can trap Toxapex easier and do agood chunk to Zygarde after 2 turns of Magma.

Last edited:

Heatran @ Leftovers / Firium Z
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Spe / 8 SpD
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic / Taunt / Protect / Stealth Rock

I don't know why WoW Heatran isn't used anymore - Tran hates Lando and Zyg, Lando and Zyg hate burns, what's not to love about it?

I personally run Toxic in the last slot for dual status shenanigans, but Taunt, Protect and SR are great choices too.

I don't know why WoW Heatran isn't used anymore
Because Mega Alakazam exists.

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 132 SpD / 128 Spe
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

SubToxic Heatran makes Heatran way less prediction reliant, and requires the opponent to play around it more recklessly. Thanks to Substitute, Heatran usually manages to dictate momentum for its team because it forces a lot of switches. Substitute also dodges Mega Mawile Sucker Punch 50/50's, which is always nice.

Last edited:

Heatran @ Choice Specs
Timid / Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower

don't use this

Last edited:
Reserving Double Fire STAB Heatran
(shoutouts to Ricardo for enlightening me with this set)

Heatran (M) @ Firium Z
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power

Let's be honest here: Magma Storm is pretty ass at times because it misses when you need to hit most. People then run Lava Plume over it on spdef sets but... now you just lose Heatran's greatest selling point in gen 7 OU (trapping and killing stuff). If only there was a way to have accuracy, burn chance, AND the destructive power of Magma Storm...

Oh wait, there is. Just run them both on the same set.

Heatran's offensive trapper set typically has a free moveslot, so Lava Plume is pretty easy to fit onto here. It offers a nice midground between Magma Storm and Wisp, having reliable accuracy and a nasty burn chance while still doing damage. This set may be a bit more reliant on fishing for burns, but threats like Ttar and Zygarde will become more hesitant to switch in instantly once Plume is revealed. Besides, modest 130 special attack hits plenty hard and the combination of burn chip + magma chip adds up. The burn chance of Plume also lets you punish checks like Latios-Mega or Gyarados, making it less deadweight in those matchups.

Another nice draw to this set is the ability to bluff not having Magma Storm. You can fish for burns against stuff like Toxapex or bait Clefables to cm up and go for game, then suddenly trap and kill them. The high PP is a merit too, as it’s harder to stall out Heatran with this set.

Last edited:

cromagnet

I pledge allegiance to the grind
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Nature Power Heatran

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Nature Power

So basically this set takes advantage of a Tapu on your team or the opponent's to turn nature power into a move such as energy ball, t bolt, moonblast, or psychic. This helps tran beat Greninja, Rotom, Gastro, Keldeo (grassy terrain), gyarados, mantine, torn t (electric terrain), zygarde (misty terrain), to name a few. Nature power turns into tri attack which can be used to spread status 20% of the time split between freeze, para, and burn, which can hinder mons like mega latios which can switch into tran. This set is nice because it lures in the above threats which usually think nothing of switching into tran and removes them immediately, unlike toxic which takes a while to remove the threat. Also unlike grassium z you get multiple tries, keep lefties, take advantage of other tapus, and can use tri attack to spread status so you dont have a useless move. It is for sure a niche choice but if you have a team with rocks on another mon, nature power is definitely an option. You can also run more Special attack if needed but I like my trans to be defensive. Also, this heatran obviously operates better using the tapu's terrain on your team more than your opponent's but the opponent's can still be used. You can also run normalium z to turn the nature power move into a z move.

0 SpA Heatran Nature Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo in Grassy Terrain: 266-314 (82.3 - 97.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
0 SpA Heatran Nature Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Greninja-Ash in Grassy Terrain: 322-380 (112.9 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Heatran Nature Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon in Grassy Terrain: 400-472 (94.1 - 111%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery
0 SpA Heatran Nature Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine in Electric Terrain: 276-328 (73.9 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (I havent used mantine so idk what they run so this is a worst case scenario.)
0 SpA Heatran Nature Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tornadus-Therian in Electric Terrain: 266-314 (88.9 - 105%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Heatran Nature Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 180-212 (50.2 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (fun calc especially since most zygs dont run rest)

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Heatran @ Chople Berry
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic / Stealth Rock

Chople Berry allows Tran to dupe deal with Pokemon that use Focus Blast to bypass Heatran's resistances, such as Mega Alakazam, Tapu Lele and occasionally Tornadus-T and Close Combat Mega Pinsir, and in turn allows it to deal heavy damage to them while also inverting Mega Alakazam's otherwise-positive matchup versus Heatran and allowing the latter to better function as an offensive check to Psychic-types. It also gives it a buffer vs Focus Blast Magearna, which is nice for halting a sweep if you play your Heatran correctly as well as for allowing you to play much more agressive against it early game if you deem it unlikely to try and set up later.

Last edited:
C B T R A N

Heatran @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Iron Head

CB Tran is one of those mons that looks bad on paper but in reality is also bad in practice
However, it has actually improved since last time tran was the focus of NBT, largely thanks to the rise in use of Mega Alakazam as the favoured tran check, which is destroyed by CB Iron Head. Additionally, Zygarde is blown away by explosion, while pex can be severely weakened by EQ. Thus, it remains as an option to use over steelium if you want your team to be a bad shitpost if you want to keep the Z-move.
252+ Atk Choice Band Heatran Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 201-237 (55.5 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Heatran Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Gastrodon: 189-223 (44.4 - 52.4%) -- 21.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Heatran Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex: 192-228 (63.3 - 75.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Heatran Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Fini: 148-175 (43.1 - 51%) -- 53.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Heatran Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Keldeo: 170-200 (52.6 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Heatran Iron Head vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 308-366 (85.3 - 101.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Heatran Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 532-628 (137.8 - 162.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Heatran Explosion vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 295-348 (82.4 - 97.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Heatran Explosion vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 295-348 (73 - 86.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Heatran Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam-Mega: 237-279 (94.4 - 111.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Choice Band Heatran Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 296-350 (86.2 - 102%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Heatran Explosion vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 288-339 (81.8 - 96.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Poison Heal
etc.

n.b. im not saying actually use this set curi told me to post it s/o responsile host

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Flame Charge Heatran

Use it on a predicted switch, and get the jump on a buncha fast but not fast enough mons! Takes the prediction out of Steelium-Z, you no longer have to "bait" Zam and Latis, just flame charge then bop. Timid is to outspeed Koko, Ash-Gren, Lop, Zam, but if those aren't major threats, you can use modest for more power

Heatran @ Steelium Z/Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Lava Plume/Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Flame Charge

Last edited:
Let's bring some ADV sets back! It's probably a heat set now, but honestly has worked pretty well for me.

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 36 SpA / 12 SpD / 216 Spe
Calm Nature
- Torment
- Substitute
- Protect
- Lava Plume / Taunt

Although taken from the ADV analysis, Torment Heatran has sought attention in the current OU Room, being able to lure and Sub on their switch, and Torment them, rendering them unable to use their super effective attack after breaking it's Sub or struggling if a choice-item Pokemon. Lava Plume can spread burns, and Taunt can be used as an alternative for stall.

The Speed EVs allow Heatran to outspeed max speed investment Jolly Tyranitar (and ofc Adamant Mega Tyranitar), the HP stat hitting the highest Leftovers number and just enough bulk to take a Volt Switch from Physically Defensive Zapdos (and why not, Rotom-W too).

One of the best lures is Ash-greninja, as Heatran uses Substitute when it comes in, and it will be unable to click Hydro/Dark Pulse after Torment, leaving it only with Struggle unless it's Waterium Z. There's a lot of examples, but the Ash Greninja one already proves that it has its uses.

Life On Mars? - David Bowie

Thank you everyone for another fantastic week of submissions! I should apologise for the delay, as I've just finished my last exam of the semester, so thanks for being so patient once again. Unfortunately, I'll be inactive for another week thanks to another commitment, so I'd like to apologise for another shift in the schedule. I promise you that voting will occur once this following week ends. Once again, i'm very sorry for the inconvenience, but i've been very busy lately.

Zeroes - David Bowie

This week's "case study" is Tapu Lele! While Tapu Lele has recently taken a backseat from the spotlight, Tapu Lele has been a consistently fantastic breaker, completely dominating both balance and stall builds with minimal effort. Within recent weeks, Tapu Lele has been overshadowed by other Psychic wallbreakers such as Alakazam and Latios, who's fantastic defensive utility made the aforementioned breakers more desired for balance builds. However, with the recent resurgence of bulky offence, Tapu Lele has returned to the spotlight, grating bulky offence builds the ability to easily break past both balance and stall, thanks to its exceptional breaking capabilities and fantastic movepool to support its breaking capabilities. With an incredible array of moves, Tapu Lele has the potential to serve many different niches! Can you find the next best set?

Here are this week's banned sets:

--
|
|
|
--

Last edited:
Reserving Tapunium Z Lele

Tapu Lele @ Tapunium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt

Somewhat inspired by the Ubers set, Nature's Madness Lele fits best on the psyspam archetype (which is underrated and should be revamped imo) to lure very sturdy psychic counters. Removing up to 75% HP from AV Magearna, Celesteela, Jirachi, Chansey, etc. and then shutting their recovery down is so important for stuff like Mega Alakazam to just shred through teams later on.

Also if you hate Reuniclus, consider using this set to reliably beat it. Nature's Madness + Taunt brings Reuni down to a ko-able range, and turns the tables on double dance Reuni trying to pp stall dark types by forcing it to waste its psychic STAB.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)