SV OU Newbie Competitive Team

Very new to all this! Sat in vc with a friend making a team, but I've made an adjustment or two since and I'm not sure if it's any good! Please help :)
1678419006494.png
1678419020847.png

Iron Valiant @ Choice Specs
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Trick

Wallbreaker with tons of coverage options. Psychock can catch any special walls, Thunderbolt offers me some much needed Flying coverage, and Moonblast is just really strong. Trick also helps to shut down any threats I really can't deal with, especially for more utility based Pokemon. One of the first Pokemon I added to the team, they're just really cool.

:3 (Meowscarada) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- Taunt

A mix of utility and pivot is the niche I've felt here. To be honest, I did kinda pick the funny cat cus I thought they'd be fun to use, but STAB Knock Off always has value, and Flower Trick is really good for securing kills. I have a relatively fast team anyway, but the flexibility offered with Protean means Meowscarada can usually have use and pivot out to something more defensive if in danger/it has fulfilled its role.

Great Tusk @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

I know Great Tusk is almost a must use atm, and he's fun to have some bulk on a relatively squishier team. Also useful for rock setup, and has helped me deal with fire teams running around (perhaps in large part thanks to Walking Wake). Offers plenty of utility and still can hit hard enough all things considered.

Dragapult @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tera Blast
- Dragon Darts
- U-turn
- Sucker Punch
Simultaneously one of the strongest and the fastest Pokemon I have. It feels like between Iron Valiant and Dragapult I can hit anything for a ton of damage. Can outspeed and KO some threats even with one DD boost, but Sucker Punch can offer good cover when some Pokemon get to setup beyond even Dragapult's speed.

Slowking @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Future Sight
- Chilly Reception
- Slack Off
- Surf
The special wall I felt that I needed! One of the last Pokemon I added, I'm not sure if he fits perfectly but he's plenty of fun. Found a lot of use in using Chilly Reception to pivot into squishier mons like Meowscarada, and Future Sight has helped a lot to both offer some power to one of my weaker Pokemon and can secure kills for whoever I pivot in if they can't get it themselves in one attack. Used a sample set from Smogon that seemed to work for what I wanted here. I thought about using Clodsire, but I already have Great Tusk to set up rocks and the different kind of utility I get from Slowbro was attractive.

Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Focus Blast

Gonna be honest...? Not entirely sure why he's here? I know he doesn't really hurt a team? Offers coverage, a great ability (that I haven't made much use of), and a lot of damage. Replaceable if need be.

I'm very new to all this Pokemon stuff beyond random battles! I made a team earlier this gen and last gen but never really stuck with it to get any good! Help greatly appreciated, I'm mostly looking to learn what needs replacing or any glaring weaknesses I have. Feedback much much appreciated!

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/25fbc3fae68b7fda

I'm a test this team a little, one note is that +speed pult isn't needed currently sense adamant or modest still out speed everything.

I'm a test this team a little, one note is that +speed pult isn't needed currently sense adamant or modest still out speed everything.
https://pokepast.es/fd66f7be5afa6411
I made some updates plus here are some replays, only game I lost was to someone climbing for the suspect test.
PS. this was a new alt account and IDK why you can't upload HTML files so the replays are in the zip file.

Attachments

I made some updates plus here are some replays, only game I lost was to someone climbing for the suspect test.
PS. this was a new alt account and IDK why you can't upload HTML files so the replays are in the zip file.
Meow is a designated lead on this now sense spikes is so good. Also let me know if you have any questions and I'll play some more with the team tomorrow.

Loving the team, just a few things I'd change.

Major changes :
:Gholdengo: ----> nasty plot set or :Gholdengo: --> :corviknight:

The np set would give you more flexibility, and a wincon and an easier time breaking through bulkier builds
Gholdengo @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Recover
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball

On the other hand, corv would give you a bulkier steel and another form of hazard removal, one with reliable recovery to last longer. It's also another pivot to let in the team's attackers.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost
- Brave Bird

I've gone for a kinda mixed wall set here, since you already have a physical and special wall. 0 speed IVs and negative nature for slower pivoting.

This is mostly up to personal preference really.

If your running ghold, you can change :slowking:'s item to either boots, or lefties. Boots will probably be better in this case

As SsL27 said, the lead meow set is probably best here, to set up hazards, maybe claim a KO, then die.

Minor changes :

Once again as SsL27 said, a positive speed nature isn't really necessary, as pult already outspeeds everything without it. Unless you really want to speed tie with other pults, I'd go for adamant nature.

:Rocky helmet: ---> :leftovers: on :great tusk:
Tusk doesn't have any reliable recovery, so the extra health from leftovers really helps out.

I hope these changes help and have a nice day!

Mmmmm pretty good team. I would, yes, make meow a spikes lead or give it a choice band to run hyper offense (swapping taunt for play rough. And then leftovers on tusk. And use the above ghold set - you know everything I want to say has been said so go kick some butt and win some games.

if you are going to run a trick set up do a harmful item like A: lagging tail. B: item that does damage depending on nature great for pokemon with only one good nature set or C: Black sludge

if you are going to run a trick set up do a harmful item like A: lagging tail. B: item that does damage depending on nature great for pokemon with only one good nature set or C: Black sludge
If you're running a trick set you want something that can help you and cripple opposing mons (ideally). Where a lagging tail, black sludge, etc works fine, it's going to hinder you significantly more in the long run before you can reliably swap it out onto an opponent. The idea of trick is not to focus on using trick, but to have the option to turn the tides..

Meow is a designated lead on this now sense spikes is so good. Also let me know if you have any questions and I'll play some more with the team tomorrow.
Out of curiosity, why tera water for Great Tusk and tera water for Slowking? As for the former, tera steel resists every weakness they have (besides water) and for the latter, wouldn't an unrelated defensive tera be useful? Also, how do you feel about Great Tusk's item? Another user suggested lefties to compensate for the poor recovery, but Rocky Helmet fits its niche as a physical wall very well... is that just preference? Another user on this thread uploaded a different Gholdengo set that I've been using some, any idea which is better for my team?
Thank you for all the help, everyone!

Out of curiosity, why tera water for Great Tusk and tera water for Slowking? As for the former, tera steel resists every weakness they have (besides water) and for the latter, wouldn't an unrelated defensive tera be useful? Also, how do you feel about Great Tusk's item? Another user suggested lefties to compensate for the poor recovery, but Rocky Helmet fits its niche as a physical wall very well... is that just preference? Another user on this thread uploaded a different Gholdengo set that I've been using some, any idea which is better for my team?
Thank you for all the help, everyone!
The tera water on great tusk is mainly for rain teams as floatzel hits like a truck and out speeds everything. Also, I would switch to leftovers on tusk. It's the only method of recovery for tusk besides wish which this team doesn't have. Tera water slowking is for skelederg otherwise this team can really struggle with the stupid thing. The negative item set is cool but it forces you to trick whereas scarf really helps gholdengo's speed tier. The other option is to run cover clock or air balloon with shadow ball, make it rain, nasty plot, recover and a defensive tera (flying or dark mainly). Ultimately use whatever you have the most fun with. This team is fun.

https://pokepast.es/9c8425df6a07e99b
Ive also made some changes to this team that have been beneficial, First off tusk is now a tera water offensive set with bulk up. You could easily change its item to heavy duty boots so it can get in without taking chip damage easier. Secondly, I've given dragapult Psychic Fangs ---> Tera blast for preferance reasons if you want you can change it back. The main change I made was taking the advice of another user and changing from gholdengo to Corviknight.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)