New Years Resoloution

Hey all Smogonites, I'm wondering if you can help me.

As apart of my new years resoloution I'm going to listen to 150 Albums & 100 films that I haven't heard or seen from start to finish yet and write a review on that album. That's roughly 3 Albums a week & 2 Films a week.

I only properly started listening to music last year, and I've always considered myself a huge fan of Films, however, after reviewing many lists of the greatest films of all time, I realised how many I have not yet seen.

Anyone got any suggestions?

All will be much appreciated.

Hm... A couple of movie suggestions:

Godfather trilogy
Pulp Fiction
Deer Hunter (I guess)
Scarface
Hero (Chinese Wuxia movie)

On musical side, it's hard to suggest anything when we have no idea of your musical tastes. Though I suppose Metallica up till "the Black Album" is a nobrainer, some will argue only up to "...And Justice for All" though. Also check out Megadeth, dunno what albums though. Then you have Judas Priest, though someone else has to give the suggestions on albums. Someone is also prone to suggest Dream Theater, so I'll do it now too.

My personal suggestions would be Enforcer - Diamonds, Nightwish discography and Lamb of God.

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's a cool new years resolution, i never really make on but for movies i might have a fun idea =0

start watching movies that are pretty old like the godfather or something like that, then keep on progressing and watch movies that are more modern like independance day and such. It could show you how movies have progressed over the years and might make it easier to watch 100 films.

Also get netflix!

I love your New Year's resolution. It's a great idea! I'm going to help you in the movie department. Bear in mind, I'm a huge war movie buff, so a lot of them will be war movies.

-Saving Private Ryan
-Black Hawk Down
-Across The Universe (Beatles musical. I loved this movie, and I'm not a huge fan of musicals)
-Enemy At The Gates
-Inception (if you haven't seen it, do. Great movie)
-The Terminal
-Slumdog Millionaire
-District 9
-The Hurt Locker

There are a bunch more, but those ones are off the top of my head.

Exarius, I've seen all those movies with the exception of Deer Hunter, I despise Metallica, but I'll listen to your other suggestions.

Lampost - Can't get netflix in britian, and I'll be buying all the films on DVD in order to re-kickstart my dvd collection (sitting at about 360?)

G80 - Thanks for that, will definately have a look tomorrow.

Exclamation - Never heard of them, but will defiantely give the album a listen. Thanks

aFred - Seen all your movies 'ception being Across the Universe.

Thanks so far everyone, and to anyone else who suggests.

Hope you all have a great new year.

icepick

she brings the rain
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Definitely watch as many classics from the 40s to 70s as you can. Force yourself to watch movies that may not seem very interesting to you, but are highly regarded, to get a well rounded understanding of film at the very least, and to enjoy them eventually. Once you have seen most of the classsics, if you want a really robust knowledge of films, you should watch foreign films, in a one to one ratio to American films at least, since there are at least as many quality foreign films.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
i agree with icepick. there are so many worthwhile foreign films to see that you may or may not have heard of. americans tend to not go for them in general as they are hardly advertised at all in the states, so they never really reach the public eye (though some do). the american friend / amerikanische freund was particularly good imo. a lot of the better foreign films are older, so they may seem unappealing, but believe me they're well worth watching if you find the free time to do so. la chienne is also nice, but that one is REALLY old so it may not be for you.

Well due to the fact I am british, I do get to see a fair deal of European films or too at least hear about them.

Considering buying a list of the 500 Films of all time from Empire and picking 100 from that and watching them from start to finish. Also drunken discussions last night I'm also to pick 1 Male Actor, 1 Female Actor & 2 Director's (One American, One British) and watch all there films from start to finish aswell (what can I say I have too much time on my hands)

I'll suggest Megadeth, "Peace Sells" up to "Countdown to Extinction".
Dream Theater, from "Awake", up to "Black clouds and silver linings".
Godfather trilogy, LOTR trilogy.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's the same as it has been since 2008. Spend less than the previous year on video games. Spent $700 last year so let's see how it goes this year. Doing pretty well so far but I think this'll be the last year I can do it.

2007: $962
2008: $931
2009: $913
2010: $703

I don't really have a "resolution" in the strictest sense. I suppose it would be to meet new people, not fail any more classes, go to NATS '11, get a decent job so I can afford stuff, winning a tournament on Smogon would be cool, but my interest in Pokemon is waning, but who knows!

Also, my flatmate has a ton of movies at his disposal, lots of them are indie films ive never heard of, but he has some good ones as well. Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang is an excellent movie, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Rock n' Rolla, Snatch, Pulp Fiction, The Fighter (still in theatres, but a fantastic movie), and a ton more, apparently The Social Network was incredible.

I love how people are just stating their resoloutions and not suggesting any films or movies e.t.c :P

Thanks to all your advice though.

Alan - I've seen them all apart from The Fighter.

It's the same as it has been since 2008. Spend less than the previous year on video games. Spent $700 last year so let's see how it goes this year. Doing pretty well so far but I think this'll be the last year I can do it.

2007: $962
2008: $931
2009: $913
2010: $703

My list of games to play is gonna cost me over $1000 this year.
Everthing got pushed back last year, this one is gonna be bloated as hell.

My resolution? Get a better job. I'd like to work at a local web hosting company, but I'd be ok getting a job at Best Buy or something.

Phillip - I've heard it. Though it has been qutie a few years though, I really try and get ahold of a copy.

I've hit nearly 10 movies already, and I was looking through multiple top 100 lists, and I noticed how many omissions I have on the great movies. So I've started going through them.

Main list I am using for that is Empire's
http://www.empireonline.com/500/

Really need to start getting into gear with my Album listening, just got no idea where to start.

For foreign films, I highly recommend M. I'm pretty sure it's the first serial killer movie ever. Anyways, that movie is phenomenal. Go to movie/music festivals too so you can get exposure to all sorts of genres that you have never seen/heard of

Something I forgot from my earlier music listing:

Poets of the Fall Discography

It doesn't really matter what order you listen to them in, though at least for me the next album has been better than the last, with the last 2 being in a tie. I heartily recommending checking these out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)